Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is my GPU breaking? Odd colour distortion when closing the game 'second life'

SararielSarariel Member UncommonPosts: 301

I just installed second life on my main machine for the first time, I have tried four viewers so far.

Whenever I close the game my screen blinks and then looks like this until I restart http://puu.sh/fJSl1/bcb6fe92e6.jpg

The game runs fine, I can run about in-game etc without any graphical issues but when I close it, I get this issue. I can't seem to find anything in the logs, maybe I'm looking in the wrong section.

Has anyone else experienced this before? I've tried rolling back drivers, using the very basic driver and using the latest. Nothing seems to work, it's very odd.

GPU: Nvidia gtx 660 OC

CPU: AMD 6350 6 core

Edit- I've tried disabling my GPU in device manager when the issue occurs, this causes it to go back to normal until I re-enable the device again, so I've confirmed that it's a GPU issue

Comments

• CaptainSoapCaptainSoap Member UncommonPosts: 142
    i just rma'd a 660 about 3 different times... that card is terribly buggy. as for SL.. it has much better compatibility with nvidia (SL uses opengl) so that shouldn't be happening. most likely your card is freaking out.
  • SararielSarariel Member UncommonPosts: 301
    I'm not even having issues opening nvidia geforce experience, it keeps encountering an error and closing.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    To start you  need to make sure this doesn't happen with any other game or program.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
    Originally posted by filmoret
    To start you  need to make sure this doesn't happen with any other game or program.

I've not had the issue with any other game.

Games I've tried;

WoW

EVE online

World of tanks

Beseige

And probably quite a few more, they all seem to run fine without causing a gpu crash on closure

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by Sarariel
    I'm not even having issues opening nvidia geforce experience, it keeps encountering an error and closing.

This happened to be Nvidia GeForce experience too about an hour ago or so. It told me there was a new patch, so I went "Fine, install that sucker." *click!*

And then BOOM, game over. So it seems to be the latest patch that's broken.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade
    Originally posted by Sarariel

This happened to be Nvidia GeForce experience too about an hour ago or so. It told me there was a new patch, so I went "Fine, install that sucker." *click!*

And then BOOM, game over. So it seems to be the latest patch that's broken.

I was getting the issue before I updated sadly :/

I'll do a rollback though and see what happens, thanks c:

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Its the game itself.  If it has always happened then try a fresh install of the game.  If you have already done a fresh install then don't waste your time doing it again.  I wouldn't touch the drivers because they are working properly its the game that is broken.  If it was the driver or hardware then other games would have the same problem.  I'd mail their support and give them the files they need so they can make a patch.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
    Originally posted by filmoret
    Its the game itself.  If it has always happened then try a fresh install of the game.  If you have already done a fresh install then don't waste your time doing it again.  I wouldn't touch the drivers because they are working properly its the game that is broken.  If it was the driver or hardware then other games would have the same problem.  I'd mail their support and give them the files they need so they can make a patch.

Thanks, I'll try doing a clean install of the game now.

It's odd that I'm getting it on all of the viewers for the game and not just the standard one that comes with the game.

I think it may actually be my GPU

I keep getting an error when trying to play a video on tumblr, my Video card keeps not responding and then starts working again.

I got the same error 30 minutes ago on Second life (Before I closed it)