Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The best Review of Guild Wars 2 ever written.

Comments

• SkymourneSkymourne Member UncommonPosts: 380
    Originally posted by Notimeforbs

Graphics - 8.5

It looks pretty good.

Sound - 6

It sounds typical and serviceable, but there's nothing special about it.

Ok ok.  I am with you on everything.  I really am....but this shit right here that i have quoted is flat out crazy.  Saying it looks pretty good is an understatement and your grade on Sound is enough to discredit the entire post.  This game, despite it's limitless flaws, has the most amazing soundtrack out there (aside from DA:I) and your grade is a travesty.  Best composer in the business.  Period.  

• Bluefear77Bluefear77 Member UncommonPosts: 112
    OP: I loved your post--very clever! 
  • Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791

It's the best fantasy MMO on the market today quite frankly, and the expack is just going to blow everything out of the water. 

I have yet to see an MMO pvp which doesn't resolve around "hey look at me i was nolife for a year and got this op gear and you have 0 chances defeating me" 

I like the build diversity even with the low amount of skills. The game has proven that you don't need 48 skill bars to be efficient. Neither you need trinity as such (heal/dps/tank) but there is a room for other roles, such as sustain, cc, bunker and yolo glasscannon.

Downed system and sneaky safe stomps that I love to execute with my thief.

On the massive side, the WvW is as massive as it gets, in a top tiered server. And with the expack they are going to expand on that, which is great. 

I'd go as far as to say that the game's story (personal one, after lvl 30, when u meet that plant asshole) is the weakest aspect of the game BUT it still blows any other MMO out of the water. 

And lets not forget that no MMO is fun without friends, as such, you can go back to your friend, you'll automatically be scaled down to their level (but still leaps and bounds ahead) and have fun around in a dynamic environment. Not to mention that you can join their instances with ease. No phasing. 

I can't literally ask for more from a MMO. Whoever says otherwise has some sort of brain damage. 

This game has a little bit of something for everyone

• Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by Skymourne

Graphics - 8.5

It looks pretty good.

Sound - 6

....but this shit right here that i have quoted is flat out crazy.  Saying it looks pretty good is an understatement and your grade on Sound is enough to discredit the entire post.  This game, despite it's limitless flaws, has the most amazing soundtrack out there (aside from DA:I) and your grade is a travesty.  Best composer in the business.  Period.  

^ So much this. 

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

It's one of the best games that I don't play.

I own it, and I log into it when they announce a new episode is ready, so I can unlock it and play the episode sometime in the future...

...but I still don't play it.

The "canvassy/parchmenty" anime art style doesn't do much for me.  Just a personal taste issue.

The "over the top" fantasy setting, aka Quaggans and whatnot, doesn't appeal to me.  Again, just personal taste.

Despite my love of more complex(read: more versatile) crafting systems, I find that the GW2 system is often just complex for complexity's sake.  Especially cooking.  I do love the separate crafting inventory, though.  GW2's inventory system might be the best one out there, IMO.

I like the underwater zones, but I'm not fond of underwater combat.  When you keep the same "magic fade in" mob spawning system in a 3D aggro space it pretty much means even the most alert players are going to get swarmed.

I don't feel ripped off at all; particularly since I can go back at any time and play just as I had when the game launched.  And there's lots of game there for the money.  Quality-wise, the systems all seem pretty strong and well thought out, again with the exception of underwater mob spawning.

I just don't play it.  6 years after I started, with all its hits and misses, Lotro remains my main game.

• Yoottos'HorgYoottos'Horg Member UncommonPosts: 297

What I like about the MMO MARKET:

I like the fact that it's better than everything else AVAILABLE FOR VIDEO GAME ENTERTAINMENT.  But you should take that as more of a statement about VIDEO GAMES, rather than a comment about ANY SPECIFIC GAME.  And it fits into that "serviceable" zone quite nicely for me.

What I don't like about the MMO MARKET:

I don't like the fact that when I play MMOs, I can't shake the notion that I'd rather be playing something better. 

There, I made a few corrections. I don't think MMO's are awful/bad/what have you. However, they seem to scratch that video game itch better than any other video game genre/theme/category on the market today.  Yet I'm still left thinking, "there has to be something better out there."

It's like my job. I HATE my job but it pays ~$80K a year and allows me to support my family. I'm sure there is something better out there but choices have consequences and you just have to stick with what you have.

• NotimeforbsNotimeforbs Member CommonPosts: 346
    Originally posted by Skymourne

Graphics - 8.5

It looks pretty good.

Sound - 6

Ok ok.  I am with you on everything.  I really am....but this shit right here that i have quoted is flat out crazy.  Saying it looks pretty good is an understatement and your grade on Sound is enough to discredit the entire post.  This game, despite it's limitless flaws, has the most amazing soundtrack out there (aside from DA:I) and your grade is a travesty.  Best composer in the business.  Period.  

I'm going to quote you specifically, but this is also a general response to similar posts of yours.

I'm not trying to take away from the validity of GW2's accomplishments.  In some respects it very much is the best MMO on the market... right now - especially if you're looking for a game that really rewards you for exploring.  But, and I addressed this in my review - that isn't necessarily meant to suggest GW2 is that fantastic, more as it is to suggest how poor the genre as a whole actually is.

If you compare a McDonald's cheeseburger to dog poo - that cheeseburger looks and probably tastes like the greatest thing you've ever had.  But compare it to a Medium Rare, perfectly cooked Filet Mingon with a side of fluffy mashed potatoes and broccoli?  Suddenly we have an entirely different spectrum of expectations on our hands.

And I think that's accurate to what I said originally.  Our standards have been lowered so heavily in the past 10 years of constant MMO garbage, the slightest glimpse of something actually good as an alternative to WoW... well... what's not to love?

The point I am making is this:  GW2 does some key things differently than WoW, but it also does quite a bit that is the same.  It does it all pretty okay.  I mean... it's stable and it doesn't go out of its way to say, "Hey... we're going to design this portion really stupidly."  But the things it does differently, just doesn't carry the impact that 10 years of genre improvement should have yielded.  Why do you think those game shows always play re-runs?

As for the graphics - again... it's and 8.5.  That's.... pretty high on the scale out of 10, dude.  It's only 1.5 notches below perfect.  So I don't know why you'd scratch your head on my grade for that.

The sound - is a 6.  And that's what it sounds like to me.  Maybe you're still turned on by the orchestral brass fan-faire blaring in your ears constantly... but I've heard that before a million times over in so many games.  Every MMO does that, and they all just sort of sound the same to me - even in melody.  The last really great Soundtrack in an MMO that I can remember?  Ehhhh.... SWG?  And... that one isn't even fair because it just ripped it from the movies.  I guess Final Fantasy XI's was pretty good too.  But other than that... none of the sound tracks for these games really strikes me as unique and interesting.  As for the rest of the sounds - again... it's just more general audio ambient noise that never stands out.  But it also doesn't stand out as bad - so... I give it a 6.  This is one above 5, which should be average.  And that's what it's like to me - slightly above average, mostly because I want to give it a slightly higher tilt out of bias.

So... cool your jets.  The ratings aren't nearly as "bad" as you're taking it.  I run my ratings legitimately because I can afford to unlike any other rating system you've come across.  I don't give an 8 and have it mean "slightly better than average."  I give an 8 to mean "This is actually pretty good and is nearly perfect."

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130

Tilt - 6

I don't love it.  And I don't hate it.  It's okay when I'm bored.

Sadly this is the only review anyone needs of GW2. It's exactly how I felt after playing it. I give them credit for launching a very polished game but it was missing alot of elements that both: make a game addicting and make a game an MMO.

Originally posted by Leon1e

It's the best fantasy MMO on the market today quite frankly, and the expack is just going to blow everything out of the water. 

I have yet to see an MMO pvp which doesn't resolve around "hey look at me i was nolife for a year and got this op gear and you have 0 chances defeating me" 

I like the build diversity even with the low amount of skills. The game has proven that you don't need 48 skill bars to be efficient. Neither you need trinity as such (heal/dps/tank) but there is a room for other roles, such as sustain, cc, bunker and yolo glasscannon.

Downed system and sneaky safe stomps that I love to execute with my thief.

On the massive side, the WvW is as massive as it gets, in a top tiered server. And with the expack they are going to expand on that, which is great. 

I'd go as far as to say that the game's story (personal one, after lvl 30, when u meet that plant asshole) is the weakest aspect of the game BUT it still blows any other MMO out of the water. 

And lets not forget that no MMO is fun without friends, as such, you can go back to your friend, you'll automatically be scaled down to their level (but still leaps and bounds ahead) and have fun around in a dynamic environment. Not to mention that you can join their instances with ease. No phasing. 

I can't literally ask for more from a MMO. Whoever says otherwise has some sort of brain damage. 

This game has a little bit of something for everyone

Well, yeah... that's nice.  But if a game wants to impress me, like really blow my mind as the greatest thing since rubber tires - then it has to have a lot of something for me.  Otherwise... I might play it and feel like it's okay, but I'd rather be playing something else.

The story is still just okay, also, in my opinion.  I mean... it has one.  And... it doesn't suck.  But do I really care about it?  I mean... really.  Do I really care about what's his face and Queen hot-pants?  Do I even bother to remember their names?  Nope.  Why do you think that is?  Because... well... I won't go into it.  But, it's nowhere close to being compelling to me.

The only MMO I've played where I actually cared about what was going on in the story, was in SWTOR.  And that was ONLY the class quests.  I almost... ALMOST... felt like I was playing a legitimate RPG in those scenarios.  The rest of them... well.... GW2 at least doesn't suck.  And... don't think I'm not paying attention, either.  Oh... I listen to every dialogue and cutscene and read every NPC comment bubble.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

I quite agree.

Its one of these games.

I preordered it year before launch. I was so hyped.

But even playing it on beta events i felt bit off. Like it was all good, but i was not really enjoying it.

And even now i play it regularly. But I would never say its actually great game. More like "its better than nothing at all"

Originally posted by Yoottos'Horg

I like the fact that it's better than everything else AVAILABLE FOR VIDEO GAME ENTERTAINMENT.  But you should take that as more of a statement about VIDEO GAMES, rather than a comment about ANY SPECIFIC GAME.  And it fits into that "serviceable" zone quite nicely for me.

I don't like the fact that when I play MMOs, I can't shake the notion that I'd rather be playing something better. 

There, I made a few corrections. I don't think MMO's are awful/bad/what have you. However, they seem to scratch that video game itch better than any other video game genre/theme/category on the market today.  Yet I'm still left thinking, "there has to be something better out there."

It's like my job. I HATE my job but it pays ~$80K a year and allows me to support my family. I'm sure there is something better out there but choices have consequences and you just have to stick with what you have.

Playing GW2 isn't a job.  Comparing and contrasting the two like the differences are negligible would be as ill-advised as comparing the differences in responses you might get by telling your dog "Muffins" that she's getting fat.... or telling your wife.

There are no consequences for adjusting your expectations to a video game.

• mrneurosismrneurosis Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Originally posted by dalewj

I wasted 3 mins reading that

But you did read it.

Did you give your own review the 'best review ever written' title? so humble of you.

Originally posted by mrneurosis

But you did read it.

Did you give your own review the 'best review ever written' title? so humble of you.

Honesty is a quality earned through humility, my friend.

You can quote me on that.

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by Thebeasttt

Tilt - 6

I don't love it.  And I don't hate it.  It's okay when I'm bored.

Sadly this is the only review anyone needs of GW2. It's exactly how I felt after playing it. I give them credit for launching a very polished game but it was missing alot of elements that both: make a game addicting and make a game an MMO.

I agree with you. It is fun for a bit, but then it becomes repetitive and lacks something that would make it compelling to keep logging in. With horizontal progression, content is key, and the two to four hours of content every few weeks from the living story really wasn't enough. I do disagree with the OP about the music and graphics. The music is spot on and the world is beautiful. 

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

But you did read it.

Wow..just wow!!

Not to mention that this wasn't even a review and horribly written opinion piece.

But you did read it.

Wow..just wow!!

Not to mention that this wasn't even a review and horribly written opinion piece.

I know - it's pretty amazing.

My review of the sentence in green above is that it isn't a coherent thought and actually doesn't make any sense at all.  It even features a run-on sentence fragment.  Then again, that's actually pretty impressive since it had been previously thought an impossibility in the English language to achieve such literary mastery.  But for the sake of us lesser peoples, please rewrite it so that we can all witness the authority by which you claim my opinion is horribly written.

Also... since when are reviews not opinions?

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Dude i rate MOST fol the games this way,i even call them fly by night games.It is not even about how i rate the games look at how the people flock to every new game then it becomes a ghost town rather quickly.The only games that stick around are the old school titles and developers,new games come and go quickly.

The reason is very simple,all these games are designed with an intent to "BEAT THE GAME",arcade single player game designs.If they would remember that they called their game a MMO+RPG then things might change.

What seems to me is that developers think MMO=Internet and RPG=linear questing and somewhere in between mini games are realistic RPG elements.

Boy are they wrong on  all accounts.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• itssantositssantos Member UncommonPosts: 84

Nice click bait title.

Just a long winded metaphor. 

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Oh come on people, this is an analogy about playing a video game, not an editorial on the state of modern education.

Originally posted by itssantos
    Nice click bait title.

Yeah should have known we are getting trolled. My bad.

• Yoottos'HorgYoottos'Horg Member UncommonPosts: 297

Playing GW2 isn't a job.  Comparing and contrasting the two like the differences are negligible would be as ill-advised as comparing the differences in responses you might get by telling your dog "Muffins" that she's getting fat.... or telling your wife.

I disagree. Enduring your gameplay with GW2 because there isn't anything better out there is very much akin to enduring your job because there isn't anything better out there (or perceiving that there isn't anything better out there).

No consequences for adjusting your expectations to a video game? Really? So if you expect a game to be the most amazing thing since *insert your preferred discovery/invention* and it falls short (in your eyes at least) then are you not let down? Is being let down not a consequence? Perhaps you should have said there are "likely" no "life altering" consequences to adjusting your expectations to a video game, whereas changing your job could very well be life altering.

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

This is one of my favorites threads i've seen yet.

The reviews of the review are a lot like the review. 

Still though, I could be plowing some beach full of bikini clad hot chicks somewhere and that would probably be better than hanging out here.  so... thread gets a 6.5/10.

I disagree. Enduring your gameplay with GW2 because there isn't anything better out there is very much akin to enduring your job because there isn't anything better out there (or perceiving that there isn't anything better out there).

No consequences for adjusting your expectations to a video game? Really? So if you expect a game to be the most amazing thing since *insert your preferred discovery/invention* and it falls short (in your eyes at least) then are you not let down? Is being let down not a consequence? Perhaps you should have said there are "likely" no "life altering" consequences to adjusting your expectations to a video game, whereas changing your job could very well be life altering.

If you want to imagine that a game you were looking forward to actually ended up being terrible is on the same level of importance as to life decisions related to maybe changing your career from that of something you deem rather crappy to something that is hopefully better... or whether or not to comment on your wife's growing waistline circumference...

Then by all means - do so.  But don't expect me or any other reasonable person in this world to agree with you.

The consequences in changing your expectations for a game is irrelevant to the point of non-existent.  But sure, I suppose if you want to be a stickler for technicality for the sake of saving a worthless argument in the first place - I'll give you that all choices have consequences.  But you're still arguing a worthless point, because you're forgetting what's relevant:  there isn't any risk involved.

So... still... no.  There are no consequences for changing your expectations to a video game.  If you expect quality and are constantly given drivel - then you have a right to expect something better for your money.  And if you don't get what you expect... well... you don't have to participate.

Somehow, not participating in gaming as a hobby vs not participating in your job or your marriage doesn't compute equally.  Which is why I said - playing GW2 isn't a job.  If you treat it like one - allow me to be the first to encourage you to reorganize your priorities in life.

• ttenggttengg Member CommonPosts: 7
    just do it , if you like and enjoy it keep playing, if  you got bored go back here  find interesting game , no body forcing you to play a game , play game what makes your time worthy dont base on the game rating , just a advice  be your self :)
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

funny enough, i know EXACTLY what you are talking about.

We would be over our grandmother's house and we would watch all sorts of fun shows and then suddenly a show would end and the soap opera would start.

And then you think "no" this can't be let's look at another channel and you might find wheel of fortune and that could be entertaining but soon enough you were in soap opera land and there was nothing on and that was when we would have to figure out what to do otherwise we would get extra chores.

hate extra chores. image

In any case, I think Guild Wars 2 is a bit better than that. I absolutely love my character it's and sometimes can get lose in "donig something". It just doesn't scratch my progression itch. 

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo