Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone Think It Is Worth Returning To WoW At This Point?

ImperatorBellusImperatorBellus Member UncommonPosts: 35

The main multiplayer games/mmo's that I currently play are Planetside 2 and Star trek online but I might quit star trek online becuase its pvp isn't very developed and people don't do pvp in sto much. I have been missing the fantasy/traditional MMO experience though. I have thought about returning to SWTOR but that game seems like a single player MMO, once you level up and finish the story, you can do world pvp, hutt ball, arenas, battlegrounds, starship pvp or flashpoints/instances. Still, it has pay to win components and you can buy the best items on the store, another thing I hate about SWTOR is the total world size is only about the size of vanilla wow. 

I have also thought about returning to TERA but those developers are currently making a sequel or another game similar to TERA but better. I also do not find the lore very interesting in TERA but the graphics are amazing, still, lore is important to me in a MMO, if I don't like the setting/story then I won't like playing the game. 

WoW , Everquest and Elder Scrolls Online have great lore that I like (but ESO is garbage so I will never play it again).  

SWTOR: 28 planets (about 15 planets are the size of  2 wow zones) 

Vanilla WoW: 44 Zones

So do you guys think WoW would be worth returning to? The only other notable fantasy MMO in development now that I might like is Everquest Next, I am not really interested in any other one but Black Desert Online might be interesting but again, it has boring as hell ultra generic fantasy lore. 

I did return to WoW in 2014 to level a night elf warrior but the experience was so boring that I just quit, perhaps the game gets better after you level up, it has been so long that I forget. So what can you do after reaching max level? I am currently on a high pop world pvp server.

1. World pvp

2. Battlegrounds

3. Arenas

4. Garrisons

5.Dungerons/Raids

That is all I can think of for things to do after you reach max level, or is there anything else you can do? Anyway, I am currently downloading the starter edition again and might give it another chance. I suppose I will have to level and experience end game content to truly determine if I wanna stick with wow again or not. 

Comments

• Vaske1984Vaske1984 Member Posts: 228
    I tried, and sadly i just could not :( i guess i have had enough of WoW for a lifetime. But who ever do enjoy it i say good for you, it is good game after all.

• mrneurosismrneurosis Member UncommonPosts: 314
    WOW is one of those MMOS where it is always worth going back to. It got something for everybody and welcomes all play styles.
  • marcmymarcmy Member UncommonPosts: 95
    I just don't understand how anyone can still play WoW anymore with everything else that's out there. I mean granted there aren't a ton of a really good popular MMOs but WoW is so old, looks terrible, and the content has either been dumbed down to make it easy for everyone to do or simply isn't anything new anymore. Maybe for PvP, but then again I don't really play MMOs for PvP. I heard SWTOR actually has some good raids that still haven't been beaten in the latest patch. You sound concerned about P2W but you play STO so that's confusing to me. I love Star Trek but when I heard STO was owned by PWE I knew to stay far far away. Don't know much about TERA. I'd like to know why you think ESO is garbage. It's actually turned into quite a decent MMO for what it is, as long as you don't expect Skyrim Online, and it does have a pretty good PvP. If you want hardcore raids, I would take a look at FFXIV, but beware the grind.

Currently playing: Elder Scrolls Online, Elite: Dangerous | Recently played: FFXIV, Rift, LoTRO, Diablo 3, Path of Exile, Guild Wars 2 | Single player RPGs: Dragon Age Inquisition, Skyrim

• luisrkillerluisrkiller Member UncommonPosts: 107

Take this from a big fan of the Warcraft series, and WoW itself.

The game is in a really good place. With its playerbase increase and also it's going back to its older roots with exploration and all, and has newer features along with stat squish, and newer voice acting and cut scenes as well as new raid difficulties and mechanics. The problem, for me at least, is that the game is just simply too repetitive at this point. I played for far too long and the game is great but it's a little burned out for me. Just seems like there's no accomplishment value left. 

In the end it's your choice. Good luck finding a game you enjoy!

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868

Depends. Do you want to raid? If you don't want to raid I don't think it is. There are a ton of better PvP games out there as well. You may like garrisons (basically daily quests wrapped in a nice package) for a little while, but chances are that they will grow tiring after sending out guys on missions for a few weeks. Basically unless you like raiding then you will end up "progressing" by praying to the RNG gods that you get raid missions. 

Also dont let anyone fool you about garrisons. They are not housing. They are a facebook minigame thrown into a group of pre-set buildings with a variety of daily quests that you select from. 

• ImperatorBellusImperatorBellus Member UncommonPosts: 35
    Originally posted by Celcius

Depends. Do you want to raid? If you don't want to raid I don't think it is. There are a ton of better PvP games out there as well. You may like garrisons (basically daily quests wrapped in a nice package) for a little while, but chances are that they will grow tiring after sending out guys on missions for a few weeks. Basically unless you like raiding then you will end up "progressing" by praying to the RNG gods that you get raid missions. 

Also dont let anyone fool you about garrisons. They are not housing. They are a facebook minigame thrown into a group of pre-set buildings with a variety of daily quests that you select from. 

What other MMO's pvp do you think is so much better?

• NoxiousBassNoxiousBass Member UncommonPosts: 257
    Originally posted by Vaske1984
    I tried, and sadly i just could not :( i guess i have had enough of WoW for a lifetime. But who ever do enjoy it i say good for you, it is good game after all.

Yes, same feelings here. O played WoW since launch, so naturally I "had to" get WoD and see If I could get the WOTLK feeling back. But no, I had to play it for myself and draw the conclusion that I just can´t do it anymore.

But hey, I do recommend giving it a spin and trying it out for yourself. Fact of the matter is, it´s an mmo with a huge player base and it´s hard to beat WoW content wise, including pvp.

• ganntakganntak Member UncommonPosts: 19
    Give it a go the questing is fun and the garrisons seem to be initially however they quickly turn into a long winded pain in the ass tbh. When you've got more than 1 max lv char you just seem to spend the the first 30mins logging in doing garrison dailys and after that im kinda not in the mood. Crafting they have destroyed imo,i loved crafting in wow it was one of my favorite parts spending time farming my own mats and having something i made myself. Now you're only allowed 3 pieces of max lv crafted gear and on top of that the crafting materials have a 1day CD forcing you to turn to the garrison dailies to get a few more scraps each day. LFR is the same easy toxic bunch of wannabe elitists.Amused me the other day when on starting a DK pipes up "Kick anyone doing under 12k!" well he did 7k and half the raid were only doing 8-10k so he was shouted down pretty quickly which suprised me as the LFR grps can be a very trigger happy as you know. Yet we still successfully downed 4 bosses and peeps got loot but for me being forced to do LFR to be able to do HCs seems very back to front right? Im not a massive dungeon or raid person anymore i used to in a guild which sadly disbanded and the ones i've recently joined havent done great as no one wants to raid or do anything together they just click LFR as its easier sadly. The new character models are excellent and were one of the reasons i came back but i think im just a bit jaded or burnt out as i havent logged in the last 2weeks and i used to play everyday 7-11pm every night and all weekends too. I ve been playing a bit of GuildWars2 as i find the community a lot nicer tbh. Give WoD a go by all means but dont expect it revolutionise WOW or paper over the cracks i think like me you ll find after a few months it drags a bit.
  • greatskysgreatskys Member UncommonPosts: 451
    Originally posted by ImperatorBellus

I have also thought about returning to TERA but those developers are currently making a sequel or another game similar to TERA but better. I also do not find the lore very interesting in TERA but the graphics are amazing, still, lore is important to me in a MMO, if I don't like the setting/story then I won't like playing the game. 

That's a difficult one . There aren't many pvp orientated games where lore is brilliant . I know its all down to personal preferences but I think WoWs lore is only slightly better than Tera , neither of which offer a serious background story .

As for returning to WoW I tried recently and decided to level up a new character but everything was so easy while leveling I became bored at level 41 a gave up . I had hoped I could do if via the Battlegrounds but the wait times for them at the lower levels could be anything for 10 -30 minutes average . I still have a few friends who play so I still get to hear a lot about what is going on in the game )

If you buy the expansion you do get a level 90 character so you may want to try leveling that because as always the new content is always more challenging and it may be worth it if you already have quite a few level 90s from playing previously . What I wouldn't recommend at all is to start new characters because its tediously unchallenging to level them .

It is highly unlikely you will see any world pvp in any of the older zones on most pvp servers . If you are playing in the EU I would recommend Outland if you want to see some world pvp still ( Its the only one I am aware of that has any significant world pvp anymore ).

I gather they have added quite a few battlegrounds and given their player vs player nature they are still fun and challenging . I have heard you aquire gear from them at a lot faster pace now so I'm not sure how limited amount a time you will spend in the Battlegrounds before you have some nice gear and want to progress to Arenas .

I think WoWs a good game to go back to but only if you have several characters already there that are ready or almost ready to play the new expansion .( or alternatively buy the new expansion and play it with the level 90 included but you may get bored once you finish with him or her and start on alts going through the older material ) .

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588

WoW is now a great game to go back to if you intend to play with friends and have some casual fun. I think for competitive PvP/PvE, its golden days are past, but that's just my opinion.

I wouldn't go back to WoW as a solo player looking for a positive experience. But if you have friends to hang with and plan activities together, you'll definitely get your subscription money's worth.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868

Pretty much all of them! Mainly though: GW2, SWTOR, ESO, Rift, DAOC (still), and maybe Tera. I think it depends on what kind of pvp you are looking for. If you are looking for battleground style pvp SWTOR might be the best option, with Rift being a close second. If you are looking for highly skill based PvP: GW2/ Tera. If you are looking for open world (rvr style) pvp probably GW2 or ESO. 

Oh oh, one last edit! FF14 might be a better raiding game then WoW. 

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    The pvp in wow is basically a gear check - greater gear = ability to destroy others with no skill (and god help the others if you have skill too) It's one of the few games in exists that handicap new players deliberately (to entice you to spend masses of time in game farming to 'catch up' I would guess). all the others have less volatility due to a more constrained power curves  through gear, and less solo play etc.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459

No-one can really tell you whether it is worth you returning other than you and for that you need to understand why you stopped playing in the first place?

If you don't get along with the core of what Warcraft has been since release then you will not get along with the game now or probably ever again as that will never change a huge amount, so if you don't like a core feature like levelling for example then you are probably on to a lost cause straight away.

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• Charlie.CheswickCharlie.Cheswick Member UncommonPosts: 469

There are better games out there. WoW has an endearing quality to those with a certain taste.

I warn anyone going back after a long hiatus, the game is mostly unrecognizable to Vanilla/BC players.

And the change is not for the better.

I wonder how many ppl do what I find myself doing... going back every few expansions just out of a morbid curiosity. Like digging up a childhood friends dead body to see how the decomposition is coming along. Knowing that all I'll do is hang for a month or 2 until that sick feeling overtakes me & then leave.

Anywho, have a nice day.

-Chuckles
  • marcmymarcmy Member UncommonPosts: 95
    Originally posted by Robokapp
    Originally posted by marcmy
     I mean granted there aren't a ton of a really good popular MMOs but WoW is so old, looks terrible, and the content has either been dumbed down to make it easy for everyone to do or simply isn't anything new anymore.

http://www.wowprogress.com/

I'm watching the world race right now from the sidelines. 3 years after stopping playing myself.

No matter how much you WANT to hate WoW, it's a great game. Unlike the newer modern MM-Crap.

This means nothing to me, some progress charts doesn't tell me a game is a great. Any game can have progress charts. And I don't WANT to hate WoW, but the fact is it's shadowed a ton of great games, ruined MMO startups, forced many companies to F2P and possibly even go out of business. It's still the most popular MMO in a time when it doesn't deserve to be. There are or were many great games that could've been great had WoW not been around. And the only reason it's still so popular is not because it's sooo great. It's because it's what people know, it's what their friends play, and it's all that's talked about. That's not the fault of other MMOs or companies. That's the fault of society. So you could say I hate society for being clingy and not having an open mind when it comes to other games. But the truth is I don't hate WoW or anyone for playing it. I just wish it didn't exist. That isn't the same thing though.

Currently playing: Elder Scrolls Online, Elite: Dangerous | Recently played: FFXIV, Rift, LoTRO, Diablo 3, Path of Exile, Guild Wars 2 | Single player RPGs: Dragon Age Inquisition, Skyrim

• Demmi77Demmi77 Member UncommonPosts: 229

i just went back with a return to wow for  7 days thingy.

I think they made huge strides in gameplay and it's great...except there is no community anymore. Guilds aren't really groups of friends, there's no feeling to the mmo aspect. IT's very weird but , i kinda missed the drama on the servers, the activity of checking my server forums etc... it's all gone now and it feels , just different. 

I enjoyed it for 7 days but just decided it wasnt worth the 50$ + 15$ to come back. Just my opinion.

• MachkeznhoMachkeznho Member UncommonPosts: 424

As a long time player with a love affair dating back to beta testing, I can in all honesty say the game is but a mere shell of what it used to be and no longer provides meaningful social interaction in any way.  You used to have to get to know people on your server and build a reputation to get into raids, you couldnt be a troll an succeed.  The major cities are for the most part empty with Garrisons and there is little to no reason in my opinion to feed a dying horse.  I was so hyped for the expansion as I have been for all of them but as time has gone on I see now that what ever talent blizzard had during WoW's conceptual stages has long since abandoned them.  The game has just been gutted, stripped, and dumbed down beyond belief.

Just a personal opinion take it as you will but ive been finding GW2 a more satisfying replacement.,

Datastar

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

Everyone I know has a free 10 day  activation . .  go to battle net and log in.  There should be a little 10 days free button on the right.  You can use your current characters etc.

I thought it might be worth going back to check stuff out.  I activated the 10 days and logged in once.  At least I saved $15 or more because you get to try out the new expansion as well.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968

Depends on what content you enjoy.  If your a PvEer then its log on for raid night and Garrison maintenance in Farmsville.  For the traditional MMO experience WoW doesn't offer that anymore.  The game world is empty and pointless, people just sit in their garrisons doing their daily work orders or weed pulling/mining.  WoW has that single player feel as much as SWTOR if not more.

For me WoW has morphed into something I don't enjoy.  They focused so much on Garrison that they left the game world devoid of any releveant content and furthur advocate private instances and less player interaction.  They didn't even add any new BGs with WoD.  They produce top notch raids but that's all there is for PvE at lvl cap.  I don't care for irrelevent achievements or mounts or pet battles nor am I inclined to lvl and gear an alt.  I want WoW to be where raiding is just one form of PvE content thats relevent where I work with others to overcome obstacles.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by marcmy
    I just don't understand how anyone can still play WoW anymore with everything else that's out there. I mean granted there aren't a ton of a really good popular MMOs but WoW is so old, looks terrible, and the content has either been dumbed down to make it easy for everyone to do or simply isn't anything new anymore. Maybe for PvP, but then again I don't really play MMOs for PvP. I heard SWTOR actually has some good raids that still haven't been beaten in the latest patch. You sound concerned about P2W but you play STO so that's confusing to me. I love Star Trek but when I heard STO was owned by PWE I knew to stay far far away. Don't know much about TERA. I'd like to know why you think ESO is garbage. It's actually turned into quite a decent MMO for what it is, as long as you don't expect Skyrim Online, and it does have a pretty good PvP. If you want hardcore raids, I would take a look at FFXIV, but beware the grind.

Well I honestly can't think of that many great MMOs which are better than wow. Wow has an amazing world, very fluid and fun combat, engaging dungeons and raids. If you are talking about dumbed down, have you tried mythic raiding. That's quite challenging. Also getting a.high pvp rating can be very difficult. Certainly there is plenty of challenging content if you have the time for that kind of stuff.

i really enjoyed pvp In wow. Wow and gw1 have the best pvp from all the MMOs I've played imo and I have played a lot of MMOs.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by furbans

Depends on what content you enjoy.  If your a PvEer then its log on for raid night and Garrison maintenance in Farmsville.  For the traditional MMO experience WoW doesn't offer that anymore.  The game world is empty and pointless, people just sit in their garrisons doing their daily work orders or weed pulling/mining.  WoW has that single player feel as much as SWTOR if not more.

For me WoW has morphed into something I don't enjoy.  They focused so much on Garrison that they left the game world devoid of any releveant content and furthur advocate private instances and less player interaction.  They didn't even add any new BGs with WoD.  They produce top notch raids but that's all there is for PvE at lvl cap.  I don't care for irrelevent achievements or mounts or pet battles nor am I inclined to lvl and gear an alt.  I want WoW to be where raiding is just one form of PvE content thats relevent where I work with others to overcome obstacles.

Well to be honest raiding and dungeons is all there is to pretty much all the MMOs ive played. This is why when I hit max level I usually quit. Care to elaborate what else do other MMOs do at max level, pve wise that's not dungeons/raids.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Pretty much all of them! Mainly though: GW2, SWTOR, ESO, Rift, DAOC (still), and maybe Tera. I think it depends on what kind of pvp you are looking for. If you are looking for battleground style pvp SWTOR might be the best option, with Rift being a close second. If you are looking for highly skill based PvP: GW2/ Tera. If you are looking for open world (rvr style) pvp probably GW2 or ESO. 

Oh oh, one last edit! FF14 might be a better raiding game then WoW. 

GW2?  lol.  I can't take you seriously anymore.  bye.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• GrummusGrummus Member UncommonPosts: 151

There have been too many changes for old players with established play styles or things they enjoy.

But a newer player or one that's not jaded who can return with a group of friends may have a great time.

It's possible, if you're not burnt out entirely, and have someone else to play with so it's not so tedious or repetitive.