Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gender lock still on or dropped ?

12346»

Comments

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

I think gender lock is good. It always bothered me that a 100 pound girl swings an axe just as hard as a 250 pound male beast of muscles.

Downside is that most casters and archers will be female only but I can live with that. Such am immersion killer to go toe to toe with a little girl like in games such as TERA.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by Whitetragedy

Gender lock? Great, now I can look at dat ass while I grind and when someone looks over my shoulder and asks me why I'm playing a female character, I'll be like "Can't help it, genderlocked, it's definintely not because of dat ass"

If looking at an animated, pixeled ass is something you feel you need to do, then you have some issues. I mean, get a girlfriend or somethin.

• patlefortpatlefort Member UncommonPosts: 142
    Originally posted by Yamota
    Originally posted by Whitetragedy

Gender lock? Great, now I can look at dat ass while I grind and when someone looks over my shoulder and asks me why I'm playing a female character, I'll be like "Can't help it, genderlocked, it's definintely not because of dat ass"

If looking at an animated, pixeled ass is something you feel you need to do, then you have some issues. I mean, get a girlfriend or somethin.

He didn't imply he needed to. It's just more fun to some people and some people are just too far in their puritan ways to understand.

• melvis1500melvis1500 Member UncommonPosts: 16

I'm a fan of gender lock. I don't think gnomes should be allowed to be tanks or fighters, I don't think giants should be allowed to be stealthy classes like rogues or thieves, and I don't think male characters should be allowed to be valkyries. Because it's by definition only for women. When you don't have gender or race lock, and you let these stupid combinations happen without any negative impact on gameplay, it ruins immersion.

A giant half-orc should never be physically weaker than a halfling, that's stupid. I don't care how much people want it. You have to be true to the lore of the game.

So I see no problems with this.

• rpg-maniacrpg-maniac Member UncommonPosts: 26
    Gender-locked kill the game for me I always play female long-range AOE DPS spell caster type of chars that's Wizard on this game which is only male so that means I can't play the type of char in the gender I prefer like I did till now in every other MMORPG in existence because devs is lazy & don't want to spent some time to create animations & armors for both genders, they will regret that when the time come to release this game in the west mark my words the backlash would be huge w8 & see.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by melvis1500
    I'm a fan of gender lock. I don't think gnomes should be allowed to be tanks or fighters, I don't think giants should be allowed to be stealthy classes like rogues or thieves, and I don't think male characters should be allowed to be valkyries. Because it's by definition only for women. When you don't have gender or race lock, and you let these stupid combinations happen without any negative impact on gameplay, it ruins immersion.A giant half-orc should never be physically weaker than a halfling, that's stupid. I don't care how much people want it. You have to be true to the lore of the game. So I see no problems with this.

I think "gender lock" does not mean what you think it does.

Your only valid point is the Valkyrie since that is truly gender related, anything else is race - class examples.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Originally posted by Rhoklaw
    I guess this isn't a game meant for people with homophobia. I can't think of one reason other than a fear of playing a certain sex for anyone to complain about this.

Huh?  What does this have to do with homophobia?  Some people just want the freedom to choose their gender.  That's the real issue.  If anything, gender-lock is sexist, by restricting males and females into specific roles.  It might be historically accurate of gender roles in a medieval society, but this game will be in a fantasy world so it's kind of silly to restrict genders.

• fineflufffinefluff Member RarePosts: 561

I don't mind it too much. I think gender locking is good if it helps support the lore and allows the developer to focus on the rest of the game. Making models and animations for both genders takes time and resources.

But I also think having both genders for an mmorpg can be good because it is a social game and it gives you more options for how you represent yourself. I like their approach by making separate types of the same class for male and female, if that is true. It is unique and interesting.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963

I dont get how they can on one side advertize the best character customization , but on other side lock all archers to be blond female elf ?!

Makes me think that customization is hogwash. Something you see in character creation, and after you are only one who sees your character like that. All other see the default model. Like in few other asian MMOs

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Even the setting of the game, as long as they are making male/female versions of each class, it kinda makes sense. Could have males that only taught males and females that wanted to teach similar styles to females only. If it was just solely males can only be archers and females only mages etc then yeah I'd care about but I'm willing to see how it plays out.
  • zzaxzzax Member UncommonPosts: 324

I'm big fan of gender and race locked classes. It makes them feel deeper and richer lorewise.

Also its good pvp balancing mechanism for games with hitboxes. Hope it stays!

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by alyosha17
    Originally posted by KamikazeKite
    Totally agree. also i'm not THAT exited about the class system and about the weapon choices, however i could live with that as long gender/race lock was not there.

I think it's because they are a small company, they don't really have the resources to expand the class options to all races, and to all genders.

So you are saying it's easier to create and balance an entirely new class as opposed to just letting the opposite sex have the same abilities?

My guess is that:

A, they like the idea of diversity in their lore and and are strongly attracted to what they perceive as celebrated differences between sexes; and ...

B, they don't have problems/issues with it. As it is an Eastern game I suspect they are developing it for their main audience first who also might not have issues with it. Especially because Gender locked races/classes have appeared at other times in the past in other Eastern Games.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,821

The race locking is because of the animation.

A male and female archer would not animate exactly the same and the animations in Black Desert are high quality.

High quality animation in video games takes a long time to produce and is quite expensive.

But, its not like anyone here really cares about that. Do gamers actually care about the time and cost it takes to make a video game? Of course not!

So, lets all just complain endlessly on message boards and call them "lazy developers"

• v_Vev_Ve Member UncommonPosts: 310
    Originally posted by ikcin

So about nonsense with clone wars. 

Character editor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqdZNhyptZ4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTZZDddzvQk

Old and young - 2.05

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6upi0OLU3mg

And classes, gear, dyes.

Ranger

Warrior

Sorceress

Giant

Different armors, there is more in fact.

All this shows is different variation to a pretty much "premade" character.

Witty & Wicked >:)

• psyco59psyco59 Member UncommonPosts: 2
    I really like gender/race locking classes, it encourages diversity
  • LisaFlexy22LisaFlexy22 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    If they make the same class in essence for both male and female characters and just call it different things who cares?  Well obviously a lot of people so then maybe the real question is why care?  It's like people look to find problems and things to be upset about so much of the time and make mountains out of mole hills.
  • v_Vev_Ve Member UncommonPosts: 310
    Originally posted by LisaFlexy22
    If they make the same class in essence for both male and female characters and just call it different things who cares?  Well obviously a lot of people so then maybe the real question is why care?  It's like people look to find problems and things to be upset about so much of the time and make mountains out of mole hills.

Bu they aren't, that's the issue.

Each class plays differently. -_-

O, the only thing that fits what you described is the archer and ranger. Besides those two, everything else is locked if you don't like that race or gender.

Witty & Wicked >:)