Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which one of these Genre's deserves a proper MMO?

Comments

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by Rusque
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Originally posted by Sampparound

Post-apocalyptic nuclear wasteland MMO please!

With all kinds of hideous mutants and robots gone haywire. Low tech meets high-tech. Mad Max and Fallout 1+2. Come on, you know you want it.

That sounds fun but only for a few weeks. Then looking at ruined cities for that long I kinda get stick of it. 

Yeah, but post-apocalytpic doesn't mean everything permanently stays ruined. Maybe that could be a big part of the game, you and the community rebuild the world while trying to prevent what you're building from being destroyed (PvE sandbox!) So yeah there would be ruins everywhere, but here and there you'd find glorious player built cities with bustling hubs of trade.

Maybe it's a stigma because MMO's are rather static so City X has always been there and will always be there. If cities rose and fell, that could be a great gameplay element. Instead of a guild disbanding and no one caring, a big guild disbands and the city they built slowly deteriorates and eventually is gone.

There is a few MMOs that claim to have that kinda tech in the works. I will buy into it fully when I see it =-) Even then, if I am going to rebuild a world I would rather it be a world with Dragons and wizards lol. 

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    Originally posted by sunandshadow

Originally posted by Flyte27
    Monsters, and Classes have lost their identities.  Basically everything has lost it's meaning in order to allow players choice that shouldn't be there.  IMO elves should all be stealthy Ranger/Druid types who love nature.  Ogres should generally all be brutes with the very rare exception.  I believe all races represent a certain aspect of humanity.  Once you take that way you might as well take the race away as a whole.  The reason humans are awesome in fantasy because they are unique in their ability to choose what path they want to follow for good or evil.  All other races were not given this free will by the gods IMO.

Ew. That is exactly the 'game culture' stereotype of fantasy that ruins fantasy for me in so many games. Fantasy, the real kind found in novels, is so much more flexible than that! Good vs. evil and gods are bullshit concepts that I absolutely don't want to see any more of.

What is your idea of making it good?  From what I see in fantasy MMOs today everything is so bland.  Having no restrictions on things just makes everything more bland.  To put it bluntly you might as well remove all fantasy elements and have it take place in the real world.  Why have Elves, Ogres, Unicorns, and other mythical things when they are all just humans with different appearance?  As they say appearance is only skin deep.  These types of things were made for a reason.  That reason is to represent different aspects of humanity.  To take that away is to take away the purpose of the different races.  It's fun to have something that breaks the mold once in a while, but IMO that is exactly all it should be.  It should be that one in a million character that breaks the mold.  It's not suited for an MMO where everyone is playing together in the same world.  We don't need evil wood elf necromancers running around all over the place.  It kills the race, it kills the lore, and it kills the fun of a fantasy world.  Shades of grey do not belong in fantasy IMO.  That is a concept that people seem hung up on in this generation.  I was like this when I was younger too, but only now can I see how horribly it has effected the fantasy game genre.

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    Hmm, post magical apocalypse... repopulation of the dragons... that definitely has potential.  I'd play it as long as there was a no-PvP server.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • NeVeRLiFtNeVeRLiFt Member UncommonPosts: 380
    I voted western, but I would like to see a cyberpunk mmo.

Played: MCO - EQ/EQ2 - WoW - VG - WAR - AoC - LoTRO - DDO - GW/GW2 - Eve - Rift - FE - TSW - TSO - WS - ESO - AA - BD
    Playing: Sims 3 & 4, Diablo3 and PoE
    Waiting on: Lost Ark
    Who's going to make a Cyberpunk MMO?

• syltmackasyltmacka Member UncommonPosts: 404
    i voted wild west. becouse of red dead  from rockstar.
  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985

Monsters, and Classes have lost their identities.  Basically everything has lost it's meaning in order to allow players choice that shouldn't be there.  IMO elves should all be stealthy Ranger/Druid types who love nature.  Ogres should generally all be brutes with the very rare exception.  I believe all races represent a certain aspect of humanity.  Once you take that way you might as well take the race away as a whole.  The reason humans are awesome in fantasy because they are unique in their ability to choose what path they want to follow for good or evil.  All other races were not given this free will by the gods IMO.

Ew. That is exactly the 'game culture' stereotype of fantasy that ruins fantasy for me in so many games. Fantasy, the real kind found in novels, is so much more flexible than that! Good vs. evil and gods are bullshit concepts that I absolutely don't want to see any more of.

What is your idea of making it good?  From what I see in fantasy MMOs today everything is so bland.  Having no restrictions on things just makes everything more bland.  To put it bluntly you might as well remove all fantasy elements and have it take place in the real world.  Why have Elves, Ogres, Unicorns, and other mythical things when they are all just humans with different appearance?  As they say appearance is only skin deep.  These types of things were made for a reason.  That reason is to represent different aspects of humanity.  To take that away is to take away the purpose of the different races.  It's fun to have something that breaks the mold once in a while, but IMO that is exactly all it should be.  It should be that one in a million character that breaks the mold.  It's not suited for an MMO where everyone is playing together in the same world.  We don't need evil wood elf necromancers running around all over the place.  It kills the race, it kills the lore, and it kills the fun of a fantasy world.  Shades of grey do not belong in fantasy IMO.  That is a concept that people seem hung up on in this generation.  I was like this when I was younger too, but only now can I see how horribly it has effected the fantasy game genre.

See, I actually agree that fantasy in games today tends to be bland when it's not being stuck in the 70s.  Your mold is a moldy oldy though.  I would make it good by starting with a rare fantasy subgenre, like biofantasy, or alien historical fantasy.  One original race, replacing humans.  We definitely don't need evil necromancers or wood elves running around anywhere.  We need to experience from the inside the culture of a race where everyone is a hermaphrodite, or people lay eggs, or the whole race are shapeshifters whose natural form is a giant amoeba, or a race where everyone naturally has magical abilities and when a member of our race 'goes bad' the most common type of villain they turn into is the magical version of 'mad scientist'.  We need fantasy equivalents of astronauts riding pegasi to explore the air-filled space populated with airfish, asteroids, tumbleweeds, and space seaweed.

I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

City of Titans is making progress on a CoH redux for the superhero genre.
    Revival is a horror mmo in development.
    Star Citizen is in development.

I voted Western because I've never seen an mmo in this genre.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    I want a proper AAA Steam Punk mmorpg, not another generic fantasy mmo with some steam punk features like the few SP mmos we have.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Historical. A musketeer MMO without magic or crap would be really fun but the possibilities are close to limitless here.

The 30th year war would be an awesome setting as well (and you could add a little sci-fi to it and get the license for Eric Flints "Ring of fire" IP, that would be swell, particularly for a sandbox game), you could make a game about the American war of independance, about Britain 1066 just to mention a few.

Either sandbox or themepark would work depending on the game but you would need to get rid of the trinity for this one. In combat healing just wont cut it for a historical game, it needs to be about managing the HP you have instead of getting constantly hit and recieve healing all the time.

And you would have to put higher focus on character development since magical items wont exists, there can still be mastercrafted stuff but the gear progression would be a lot smaller compared to games like Wow and to compensate you need to put more focus on attributes, skills and abilities/feats instead. Of course you could be taught new stuff as questreward instead of gear so I don't think it will be a huge issue here.

I have a feeling that it would be easier to make a PvP focused game out of a historical setting but many would be excellent for PvE games as well. A Musketeer MMO would have a lot of potential for example and there could be many fun PvE quests or DEs there (just look on Dumas books).

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

I'd love a sci-fi MMO that doesn't revolve around guns, blasters, or ships.

In other words, i'd like a fantasy MMO set in space. 

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by syltmacka
    i voted wild west. becouse of red dead  from rockstar.

same.

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574

See, I actually agree that fantasy in games today tends to be bland when it's not being stuck in the 70s.  Your mold is a moldy oldy though.  I would make it good by starting with a rare fantasy subgenre, like biofantasy, or alien historical fantasy.  One original race, replacing humans.  We definitely don't need evil necromancers or wood elves running around anywhere.  We need to experience from the inside the culture of a race where everyone is a hermaphrodite, or people lay eggs, or the whole race are shapeshifters whose natural form is a giant amoeba, or a race where everyone naturally has magical abilities and when a member of our race 'goes bad' the most common type of villain they turn into is the magical version of 'mad scientist'.  We need fantasy equivalents of astronauts riding pegasi to explore the air-filled space populated with airfish, asteroids, tumbleweeds, and space seaweed.

Those are all neat ideas, but I actually like the traditional fantasy lore.  It's something that has been around for ages going back to nordic mythology and it's very enjoyable to me.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

none ...

i don't even think your definition of "proper" MMO is very popular.

I would much rather play marvel heroes, a "non-proper" MMO than a proper one.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

How about all of them and more?

Of course I would require some actual talent and not just copy/paste and having a dinosaur extinction MMO where the first thing I see is a big yellow exclamation point.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Well I'm guessing he just wanted to clarify what he was talking about. Marvel Heroes is not an MMO but then again everything that has any online component gets called an MMO these days.

• rounnerrounner Member UncommonPosts: 725
    Mad Max where the focus is on mechanical physics simulation. You build vehicles from salvaged parts. Its less about theme/genre and more about car sim
  • SevalaSevala Member UncommonPosts: 220

I kind of prefer Fantasy over most of these because its the broadest category and you can fit so much more in, plus alot of these fit into Fantasy, not that I mind any of them (except Racing? Seems like something that should stick to its niche).

Anyways though, I choose other because what I really want, is a game that encompasses most of these. Why not have a single engine/system running all of these as a single entity. Call them shards or worlds or whatever you'd like, but why not just have that Wizard from the Fantasy land cross realms into a horror settings, or a sci fi setting. Why not make it so your not limited to one thing. Mix and match, do as you please. Jump from one genre to the next, while being able to keep your same toon. Why too much work yes, but a random and fun sounding concept.

~I am Many~

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

I voted other.

Classical Steampunk, not "Magitech" Steampunk.

As for Western. It won't work. Not True Western. What are you going to fight? Your choices are rather limited. Mobs will be either coyotes or wanted men.  What are you going to do for content.

There was an old Tabletop RPG in the 80s called Boot Hill by TSR games. (Same publisher as Dungeons and Dragons) It never caught on for the very reasons above. A True western was limited in content if it was to remain true to a theme. And that was a Tabletop game. What do you think you'll be doing in a Western MMORPG?

Western is a bit 'controversial' since it usually means Cowboys vs Indians, which could easily be viewed as crass behavior, and definitely politically incorrect, let alone the whole scalping indians for profit thing. So many areas of the whole 'western' thing would have to be 'sanitized' that it would become a meaningless concept, doubt whether any MMO developer would touch the subject to be honestimage

I wasn';t even thinking of Indians. I was thinking Bandits. But to the Native Americans, America was the invader...The "Evil Empire"...The "bad guy".

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Phry

I voted other.

Classical Steampunk, not "Magitech" Steampunk.

As for Western. It won't work. Not True Western. What are you going to fight? Your choices are rather limited. Mobs will be either coyotes or wanted men.  What are you going to do for content.

There was an old Tabletop RPG in the 80s called Boot Hill by TSR games. (Same publisher as Dungeons and Dragons) It never caught on for the very reasons above. A True western was limited in content if it was to remain true to a theme. And that was a Tabletop game. What do you think you'll be doing in a Western MMORPG?

Western is a bit 'controversial' since it usually means Cowboys vs Indians, which could easily be viewed as crass behavior, and definitely politically incorrect, let alone the whole scalping indians for profit thing. So many areas of the whole 'western' thing would have to be 'sanitized' that it would become a meaningless concept, doubt whether any MMO developer would touch the subject to be honestimage

I wasn';t even thinking of Indians. I was thinking Bandits. But to the Native Americans, America was the invader...The "Evil Empire"...The "bad guy".

I don't think the western setting is very conducive to a progression game since unless you put in fantasy elements, the combat mechanics cannot go beyond how well you shoot a gun.

It is be better to make such a game into a online/MMO FPS/TPS instead.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

The theme of Fantasy might be over used but not done correctly or better yet nobody has made a game i call more than 50% complete.Point is there are no real reason for a need to skip Fantasy ,we just need a good developer not a fly by night looking for a quick buck on a poor man's budget.

I could play ANYTHING ,i mean any theme all i want is a quality game,not linear questing with markers everywhere.

When i see devs giving xp for players stepping into a new area i just shake my head.If that is the best they can think of to give away xp they have no business making games and the producer has no business collecting a pay cheque for such amateur work.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130

The whole idea of a superhero MMO was idiotic to begin with. Generally one hero saves the day from multiple villains. Maybe the super hero has a partner or on the rare occasion a couple team up like the avengers. But having a MMO where you bump into a hundred heroes in every direction completely waters down the concept. Aka if everyone is special, no one is.

Superhero MMO's need to die a most deserved death in favor of smaller scale console games.

• UsualSuspectUsualSuspect Member UncommonPosts: 1,243

I voted Sci-Fi, but more specifically, Shadowrun. I would love to see a Shadowrun game, the closest I came to it was Anarchy Online but that didn't quite work for me. But in a similar style, they could have instanced shadowruns against corporations or various locations, where you can take a team with you. You could have a decker on overwatch dealing with security, or going in on foot to hack into local computer systems. There could be key NPC's in the world who could pass you various information on your upcoming run, some of which you might have to track down through various sources. Deckers could log into the Shadowland where different players could pass on information through a bulletin board system much like in the official adventures.

But most of all, it would have to be created on the fly, maps would be created from a template, shadowruns would be created from a massive pool of variables and those variables would be attached to your character, so you never have the same two runs again. The more variables, the more variety, thousands upon thousands of possibilities.

Okay, it's just a dream, but it would be fantastic. I love the Shadowrun universe, I used to GM it a few years ago, I had all the books released up to that point. If done right, it could be a great MMO.

• TheDoveTheDove Member Posts: 91
    Cyberpunk: Blade Runner, Neuromancer, Johnny Mnemonic, etc
  • dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    Originally posted by Thebeasttt

The whole idea of a superhero MMO was idiotic to begin with. Generally one hero saves the day from multiple villains. Maybe the super hero has a partner or on the rare occasion a couple team up like the avengers. But having a MMO where you bump into a hundred heroes in every direction completely waters down the concept. Aka if everyone is special, no one is.

Superhero MMO's need to die a most deserved death in favor of smaller scale console games.

I'm not sure if you played City of Heroes, but the setting design worked really well. You had essentially about a quarter of the world's population who had superpowers of some variety. So not only did you have a superhero force the size of the NYPD, but even many of your run of the mill gang members were packing super powers as well, giving it a sort of balance.

<3

• UsualSuspectUsualSuspect Member UncommonPosts: 1,243
    Originally posted by dreamscaper
    Originally posted by Thebeasttt

I'm not sure if you played City of Heroes, but the setting design worked really well. You had essentially about a quarter of the world's population who had superpowers of some variety. So not only did you have a superhero force the size of the NYPD, but even many of your run of the mill gang members were packing super powers as well, giving it a sort of balance.

While I enjoyed City of Heroes, I do have to agree with him and say that Superhero MMO's are just not a good idea. Superheroes are better suited to solo ventures or as part of a small team, Spiderman or the Avengers for example. When you make them the norm they lose their excitement factor and become.. well.. the norm.

The draw of superheroes is the single guy/gal against the rising criminal element and, ultimately, super powered villains that only they can deal with. Again, as an example, Spiderman facing off against Sandman. If you had 50 super heroes battling this one bad guy, it waters down the whole effect. It just doesn't work. That's how I view Superhero MMOs.