Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shadowbane is a great game

124»

Comments

• lauxeslauxes Member Posts: 88
    if they would put W A S D keys in and fix the lag and rubberbanning id would play again...but i just cant get use to the mouse mode thing again
  • oakthornnoakthornn Member UncommonPosts: 863

I'm on fileplanet right now waiting in line to download SB's client.. I do have to admit,each time I would recieve SB's newsletter in my email,I'd check it out to see how the game was progressing.. I absolutely love all the aspects of the game..  But I remember beta testing SB and the mouse thing is ridiculous.. Graphics at that time were just about twice as good as UO,with DAOC and EQ far more superior.. I understand and know graphics isnt everything,but SB's  graphics belong in the year 2000,not 2006..

I'm gonna give it a try simply because WoW is boring,EQ2 doesn't hold my interest,and after following SB for like 3 years backin 2000,I owe it to myself to give it another try... Plus,what other MMO allows you to play as a vampire,Birdman,and demon... I absolutely love the dark fantasy ravenloft style game setting.. Its what attracted me to the game so many years ago..

I just don't understand DEV's..  Listen to what the people want.. SB's biggest problem was character movement and poor graphics.. Its been live almost 3 years now.. When will UBI give people what they want? If they Revamped and upgraded  the graphics,changed the annoying mouse movement, and made some minor tweaks to the technical aspects of SB,I believe it would attract more people..

If they announced an expansion that promised the changes people wanted,I'd wager alot of people currently playing WoW,and those of us looking for something to play,and the old SB veterans long retired will play SB and pay to play it..

It really had the makings to honestly be the best MMO ever released.. If only the Dev's listened to the fanbase and community.....

Rallithon Oakthornn
    (Retired Heirophant of the 60th season)

• MaxziusMaxzius Member UncommonPosts: 248

If you're going to try Shadowbane.

Play on Vindication.

Go to http://ubbforums.ubi.com/ubbthreads.php?Cat=

(Shadowbane forums)

Look at the Vindication Recruitment threads and find a guild. Most new people have an extremely difficult time playing because with SB being a "political" game a lot of distrust has built up so (A) Nobody believes that they really are new leading to (B) Nobody want's to help or let new people into guilds. Being guildless in SB is a harsh life, too harsh, actually, because of some of the changes that the devs felt had to be made. I've heard of some returning veterens having a tough time getting into guilds because of the distrust so they don't stick around long, either. Shadowbane's problem right now is population and the current population isn't helping the problem.

=====================
    -Just My Thoughts-
    Max

Currently playing: Nothing

• oakthornnoakthornn Member UncommonPosts: 863
    Thanks bro..I started on Wrath but I'll make a character on Vindication today :)

Rallithon Oakthornn
    (Retired Heirophant of the 60th season)

• EffectEffect Member UncommonPosts: 949

Originally posted by Maxzius
    If you're going to try Shadowbane.Play on Vindication.Go to http://ubbforums.ubi.com/ubbthreads.php?Cat=(Shadowbane forums)Look at the Vindication Recruitment threads and find a guild. Most new people have an extremely difficult time playing because with SB being a "political" game a lot of distrust has built up so (A) Nobody believes that they really are new leading to (B) Nobody want's to help or let new people into guilds. Being guildless in SB is a harsh life, too harsh, actually, because of some of the changes that the devs felt had to be made. I've heard of some returning veterens having a tough time getting into guilds because of the distrust so they don't stick around long, either. Shadowbane's problem right now is population and the current population isn't helping the problem.

That is pretty much the problem. I tried a free trial to give it another shot, first played when the game first launched, but the community currently in the game just wasn't helpfull. I wouldn't so much say it's their fault completely since the game does lead to the whole mistrust deal like said but after the newbie island if you don't have a guild or have gotten into one you are pretty much screwed. It's either sitting in the npc cities, trying to go out and level up solo only to be jumped by high level players or have things stolen from you as you are hunting by a thief, making what you just did somewhat worthless due to having to do it again. End the end you most likely get frustrated and leave.

Personally I still feel that SB could be great if they drop the open pvp, at least made one server like this, and kept all of the city sieging, building, control of areas, etc.

• ZoldenZolden Member Posts: 15

I played from release for quite a few months. Best first couple of months of an mmo in my life, despite all the problems, and I've played most major mmo's. I came back to SB a while ago but they completely nerfed stealthers and that made me a sad panda, so I left for good. I could see putting up extra timers or having more detect abilities or whatever, but there was NO EXCUSE for the gigantic blue pillar of light that would shine on your character when you -hid-. I left after I found out they implemented that, it was atrocious. That was my main problem, the population was great for when I played, plenty of folk to steal from. :P

But I heartily agree that SB was a great game despite it's issues. I'd like to see shadowbane done over and done right, I wish that could be so but I don't forsee it ever happening soon.

• ShirotsughShirotsugh Member Posts: 12
    Is there any new game going to release or already released that you could compare to ShadowBane?
  • OldTimerOldTimer Member Posts: 4

Originally posted by Zolden

..  but there was NO EXCUSE for the gigantic blue pillar of light that would shine on your character when you -hid-.

Shame you failed to realize that only YOU saw the blue orb when hiding ... to everyone else, you just disappeared ... the blue orb is just an indication to you that your hidestealth was successful.
  • shamallshamall Member CommonPosts: 516

Originally posted by Shirotsugh
    Is there any new game going to release or already released that you could compare to ShadowBane?

The only game I can think of  that will be somewhat like shadowbane is Darkfall Online.

I really liked shadowbane at first but got tired of all the problems with lag or the dredded exe error I always got right in the middle of a big battle. I left right befor they finally fixed unarmed combat for sundancers. Tried it again a few months ago but it was unplayable with all the lag even with my cable connection. Thinking of giving another go on another server.

The Brave Do Not Fear The Grave

• LeppardLeppard Member Posts: 21

Originally posted by EduardoASG
    Shadowbane is not a great game.. far from it. The number of bugs and exploits it had and still has auto remove it from the great games list wich isnt very long either.Plus shadowbane get really laggy, and has outdated graphics.

BINGO!

It's always something...

• porgieporgie Member Posts: 1,516

Originally posted by Leppard

Originally posted by EduardoASG
    Shadowbane is not a great game.. far from it. The number of bugs and exploits it had and still has auto remove it from the great games list wich isnt very long either.

Plus shadowbane get really laggy, and has outdated graphics.

BINGO!

Yup, I agree.  Not a great game.  I hate to see MMO's die because of the people that put a lot of playtime into them, but does anyone still play this game anyways?  I don't know anyone of my friends that do.  We don't even talk about it anymore.  Horizon's comes up more than this game.  And that's because even with all it's mad horribleness it had the best crafting of any game.  Shadowbane had nothing good. 

Too bad it didn't live up to all that pre-game Internet chat hype I read before it came out.  It was so funny seeing all the comments about how it was going to crush the care-bear community.  It got it's ass kicked by the care-bear community.  All those games are still around and this one, well.....  image

-----------------------
    </OBAMA>

• -Zeno--Zeno- Member CommonPosts: 1,298

Actually it is living up to its origional concept, just the engine lacks alot still.

Freedom. Open Combat. Pure PvP conflict in every stage (1v1, 10v10, mines, citys, realms). The world is controled by the players.

Example, the irekei just took over the desert, so the desert needs to be cleansed of them:

Taken from this forum.

Arkhubar is the king of the desert, and needs to be dethroned. Can you do that in any other game? Hell no. (he has about 100 followers too).

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

• KaylettaJadeKaylettaJade Member UncommonPosts: 144

Shadowbane had nothing good. 

I guess you were one of those people who got pk like 5 times and gave up eh?  I started playing as a carebear.. I seriously thought people played sb for the Roleplay... a few did but not many.  I got my ass handed to me at least a hundred times before I realized I could rp and kick the friggen hell out of people.  So now... if I'm not killing someone... its because I'm looking for someone to kill.  Or I'm pling myself to 75 in 2 overnight pl sessions.  Occasionally I'll activly lvl from 70ish to 75, but its rare.

Hey, if you play to explore and achieve, thats great but personally, having sat on both sides of that fence, I know why people enjoy the pvp.  Just because you couldn't handle the pvp in SB, don't diss it.  It may not be your kinda game, but hell.. nothing out here even begins to compare to 100v100 city seiges.  You just can't beat coming home from work, logging in and being summoned to a bane 5 minutes before it goes live.. and spending the next 2 hours non-stop fighting before finally dismantling the other guys city.

If you seriously think SB has NOTHING good.. you either didnt play long enough or ya need to go back to Super Mario Bros. <3

• -Zeno--Zeno- Member CommonPosts: 1,298
    Shadowbane is getting even better with SBG.

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

• bobtheblobbobtheblob Member Posts: 135
    so your saying shadowbane is gret becuase of a poll in the shadow bane section of the forums, talk about biased
  • SuitepeeSuitepee Member Posts: 921

I've found SB to be quite fun so far.

However I have a current problem of being unable to find groups for my r3 ranger; it seems like they are already many established guild groups running their players through the levels. I guess I'm going to have to find a guild to join,but I fear that I'll have the same problems finding a willing guild. It also appears some players use many alts to create 'buffbots' and run multiple screens. Not for me,thanks.

Despite this,I will persist. The PvP so far has been fun,if not full of 'adult' shit-talkers. This is about as close to my idea of decent PvP without paying for EVE Online. It has something good about it.

Until Darkfall comes.