Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

4k gaming and MMO are pointless.

12346»

Comments

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    Originally posted by bestever

So the backgrounds in moves and games aren't sharper and my eye are just playing tricks on me?

No, I believe when people are saying that the 4k TV / monitor looks better, that is actually true.

But I strongly doubt it's the resolution doing it. Contrast and color uniformity are much better on 4k TV than on older TV.

If you play the same game on 1080p, then on 4k, and notice a large difference in quality, by all means,  I'm not going to tell you you're wrong, I don't know what you're seeing.

But I find it weird that studies and people intimately up to date with this tech, are saying there's none to almost no perceivable difference, and then some people on forums say "it's a large difference". Something doesn't add up.

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    Originally posted by bestever
    You almost act like your jealous or something.

I don't think anyone is jealous, the issue for gaming has to do with the large tradeoffs you're making.

You're trading in quite a few things if you want to play on 4k.

-on many games the UI won't scale properly

-it requires a lot of expensive hardware

-you're using a lot of power playing game stressing your hardware at max

-many 4k monitors and GPU don't output anything over 30hz, even with HDMI 2.0, some monitors that claim they can output 60hz, arent. 1080p on the other hand easily does 120hz

-you're trading in FPS and image detail in many games

They're very large tradeoffs for diminishing returns many say are close to 0.

It's not like this technology only makes the experience better, you're trading in FPS, power and screen refresh rates, if you're trading all that in, it better actually make a difference, and many say it doesn't make a difference. Which means you only lose with 4k and gained nothing.

The test subjects in the video that said 4k isn't worth it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzw1D9dU6ts

Aren't even make those tradeoffs, the tradeoffs for gaming in 4k are much larger than the tradeoffs for movies and TV. You don't have Hz / FPS or UI scaling issues on TV.

But even for TV, when test subjects are asked if they think 4k is worth it, they all said no it's not.