Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Das Tal: No Disrespect Meant Towards ArcheAge

2»

Comments

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,056
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Why not quote what was Das Tal devs really said about ArcheAge "I, like a lot of others, have come to the conclusion that ArcheAge is probably one of the worst MMOs to come out recently" - that is what was said. This entire interview is backpedaling.

I have no problem with anyone saying that.

Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    I skimmed through the article, but i didn't even see an apology.  They should have at least said something like, "We apologize to the AA devs and fans..", and then they could've explained their reasoning.  Mea Culpas go a long away.
  • HowbadisbadHowbadisbad Member UncommonPosts: 453

Originally posted by Seelinnikoi
    This game will be Vaporware(™).Wait and see...    

How can a game be vaporware if you can already play it?

Waiting for:
    The Repopulation
    Albion Online

• JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353

"for most players who want a compelling PVP experience a periodic reset will be way more fun."

I kind of like the idea of reseting the server. Although it would be nice to have an option between persistent server and seasonal. That would be actually be hella awesome now that I think of it.

Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Originally posted by JDis25

"for most players who want a compelling PVP experience a periodic reset will be way more fun."

I kind of like the idea of reseting the server. Although it would be nice to have an option between persistent server and seasonal. That would be actually be hella awesome now that I think of it.

Resets aren't bad for some games, but they don't belong in the mmorpg genre.  Perhaps in a subgenre, but you are moving more into the territory of an FPS or MOBA.  Its like the game, story and experience don't matter anymore when you are creating some trivial temporary world where players do something other than work together and against each other to continually achieve goals of some perceived importance.  What of the social aspects of the game?  What of the depth?  I'm just going to venture a guess that these elements will be severely lacking.

There are a few important things this genre was built around, and those things are persistent world that is engaging, immersive and that can more or less be a home away from home.  In an mmorpg, the notion of a reset is indicative of a lack of content and meaningful progression.  If at any point you feel like the game is better if everyone just starts over, I feel like you lack an understanding of what this genre is about.

This of course is directed at the developers out there, not necessarily anyone here.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I see people talking about resets.

I will tell you this,all i ever hear is people saying how FUN their game is.Well PROVE it,if a server reset happens would you still play it?I most certainly would,i have made over 6 accounts over the years playing FFXI,with tons of noob toons,i have no problem re-rolling because i actually do play for FUN and enjoy it.

I actually would EXPECT a reset of EVERY game that was in a so called TESTING phase.You cannot allow players to benefit from an unstable unfinished game,it is not right.It is like saying ok we see 5 million have duped the game for 500 trillion gold but it is ok,that was the past,we won't do anything about it.

There is ALWAYS glitches and bugs and exploits players take advantagfe of in testing phases,they should NOT be rewarded for that,their ONLY purpose was SUPPOSE to be TESTING the game not playing it for real.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• TheRabidsmurfTheRabidsmurf Member UncommonPosts: 146
    AA was a shatbox launch, and only got worse, but people were eat their crap sandwiches cause it was pretty, they were staying on in a max pop server, and/or they had gobbled up loads of land. Was clearly,as he stated, from a player stand point. Are there any people who could deny the AA clusterhump that happened?
  • BillSussmanBillSussman Member Posts: 42
    Good, screw TRION, XL and AA. Luckily I got my refund :) I'll give this game a try when I can. See if the same mistakes are made or not. 

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,056
    Originally posted by observer
    I skimmed through the article, but i didn't even see an apology.  They should have at least said something like, "We apologize to the AA devs and fans..", and then they could've explained their reasoning.  Mea Culpas go a long away.

Why? Because in many people's eyes Archeage IS the absolute worst MMO to come out lately. Why should they apologize? I will buy their game because they said it.

Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • JorendoJorendo Member UncommonPosts: 275

I in general would love to see if Developers would stop calling each other out, and stop praising their own games. Getting so sick and tired of developers saying "We will provide you with a unique experience never seen before" and then you start the game and its just the same old stuff you done a 1000 times before.

Calling each other out as developers is pretty much doing the same thing. You pretend you do it much better. Well how can this game do it better then AA? To do so they would require the same ammount of players trying to get in at the same time as in AA. AA had a horrible start I'm not gonna deny that at all, it was one of the worst i seen in years. Sure other games had horrible starts too, but with AA i couldn't login for a week and the information given was very poor. No email send to those who actually paid money for a sub (or their equal of a sub atleast).

But calling them out while you most likely will not get the same ammount of people trying to get in at the same tim is just BS to the max. It's much more easy to handle 5000 thousands players trying to get in then hunreds of thousands if not million of players trying to get in at the same time.

Developers need to stop this bragging and lame promises they can't keep anyway. Just focus on making the damn game and give usefull information about what the progress is, what we can really expect..instead of saying "A unique experience" just say "We use battlesystem x" or "In our game you do quests like so and so". Be honest, really i don't expect anything unique anymore, most things are already done. It's hard, and I'm fine with that, just be honest and tell me what i can really expect so my expectations won't be unrealistic. Like Destiny...the MMO shooter.....that has less people able to be online in the same area at the same time as your regular generic Multiplayer shooter on the PC....why do we even call it a MMO then? 64 people is not a MMO. See devs shut up or say the truth so the expectations are real.

• ShortyBibleShortyBible Member UncommonPosts: 409
    Originally posted by OhhPaigey

This sums it up quite nicely imo. 

As soon as any game studio starts mentioning other games, comparing them side by side in their own blog post, and then writes down why they do better.. that's meant to be disrespectful, it's meant to start drama, and make your unpopular game, popular, sorry. That's how it is. AA is a million times more popular than Das Tal will be, ever, period.

When you call out a game as much as they did, you can't take what you said back, it's just, unprofessional, it makes you look like somebody who just wants to stir up drama for your bad game, which is exactly what they did. And now they write some more long paragraphs just to waste everybody's time indirectly explaining how they wanted more hype for their game, didn't mean what they said in the first place, ect, ect. Bleh..

This is the text book definition of backpeddaling. And it's absolutely great to see. I won't be supporting Das Tal one bit lol.

-

And I don't even like AA, I played it for 30 minutes and quit.

What is so special about games?
    It is a business.

All other business do it via comparative advertising.

• ShortyBibleShortyBible Member UncommonPosts: 409
    Originally posted by Wizardry
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Ya kinda turned me off when developers start knocking other games.

Not me,it is 100% better if they start calling out each other's crap and start forcing the genre to improve.If you have a B rated game and they kiss ass to each other then next time you get C rated and they still tell you how great their games are.

The gaming industry is no different than retail stores,they pop up price matching but make sure to not have the same items as the next  store so it matters not.

The developers know every single aspect of game design,so they are the ones that could best improve the genre,they know what each developer is doing lame or not doing enough of.Reader's usually don't believe forum people so they like to hear from the actual developers.

Problem is that every single one of them are building half ass games,barely 50% of a true mmorpg,so if they call out one guy they get called out as well.

IMO as long as they all keep quiet and continue ass kissing,it tells me they are all giving us their slack effort.

Instead of always seeing ass kissing interviews,i want devs to start telling us exactly what they are doing better than the other guy,ya down play WOW tell us why you put more effort into your game than Wow or AA or whatever.

OH btw,,if you think it is disrespectful ,how about games that sell you a product w/o letting you try it,that doesn't happen in the real world.It is far more disrespectful to the gamer's who pay for these games if nothing but ass kissing comes out.

Well said. I agree with you.

• dbltnkdbltnk Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Originally posted by Konfess
    “It's equal footing for everybody.”  Alex, does that include non-spending gamers (P4F)?  Because spending gamers don’t complain about P2W.  They simply P2W.

That is indeed the plan. I'm still dreaming of a micro-crowd-funding model for new game worlds where some people can pay for them to start (and decide on what feature and rule set the server should use) but when the server goes live they have no extra in-game power compared to the people who did not pay and started on the server, too. 

Game Designer of Das Tal (http://www.das-tal-game.com)