Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] ArcheAge: What's in Store for 2015?

Comments

• JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353

Let's be honest, he couldn't have said anything in the world to prevent further trolling...

I think AA's issues were a bit blown out of proportion, that said, this 1.7 update needs to go off without a hitch.

Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • PemminPemmin Member UncommonPosts: 623

"Inflation is a valid issue and we see it every day as we play the game. The economy is expanding more rapidly than we anticipated"

yeah no shit...what did they think was going to happen when they added token weapons that were equal to the second highest tier weapons.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    They might increase the drop rate on crystals from .01% to .02%, big help there.  I personally have lost faith in Trion.  I gave them a pass on Defiance but after this I wont be playing their next game.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• steelwindsteelwind Member UncommonPosts: 352
    Originally posted by Ozmodan
    Originally posted by Volgore
    Asking a Trion guy whats in "store" -pun intended?

LOL!

Dear Steelwind, the complaints about the game are entirely justified.  Trion outright stole a lot of money from people while they lied about the game like super champs.  I am glad you are enjoying the game, but the threads will still be loaded with complaints from those who felt they were robbed, so get used to it.  Trion destroyed any reputation they had the way they monitized the game and failed to control the bots and cheaters.

I remember there was a time when MMO's released with issues and players had patience and gave the devs time to resolve them. Those days are apparently long gone, now a game gets a month most then is dropped forever.

I would venture to say that the complaints are no longer accurate and are mainly from those whom have long since left and neglect or refuse to see the game actually improving. I guess I am just old school or a fanboy for AA because I do notice things getting better. Exploits and bots have gone way down. Mail spam is nearly gone and land hacking is day and night difference.

So while things are getting better, the naysayers still want to paint the picture that nothing has changed which brings us right back to self validation or plain ol' ignorance. Either way, nothing constructive comes from it and is a complete waste of everyone time.

I will also add, your definition of being "robbed" is anothers definition of a "lack of self control".

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Trion's handling of this game from launch until now has kept me far away from ever hitting a download button for anything with Trion stamped on it! Not sure what is happening at that studio but they have fallen fast and hard lately.

• AthisarAthisar Member UncommonPosts: 666

I'd like to see everyone refunded for all the stuff they bought from Trion and never received, it's the law and all. It's probably more likely we'd get a refund for all the time wasted on this cash grab pile of crap.

• ErdaErda Member UncommonPosts: 211

Interesting changes but not enough to entice me to come back.   I breathed a huge sigh of relief when I transferred all my belongings to various folks in my guild and quietly walked away.    I will be curious to see how this game evolves.    I may come back to wander around as a non patron at some point but that is about it.   AA had huge potential for me but I did realize that basically it just isn't my cup of tea.   Too many things I didn't like about the game.  

I am glad they are addressing some of the more serious issues and hopefully they will become non issues at some point.  

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Originally posted by steelwind

I remember there was a time when MMO's released with issues and players had patience and gave the devs time to resolve them. Those days are apparently long gone, now a game gets a month most then is dropped forever.

I remember when paying a sub for a game allowed you to access all the content as much as you want.  In Archeage, a sub only allows you to have fun using 1500 labor points per day which is less than an hour of mining.  After that, you can only PVP.

I remember when game companies were focused on making fun games and not designing cash shops that gave you better chances at drops.  The drop rate for TS trees is .23% (This was pulled from the decompiled game program) but if you buy a rumbling tree from the cash shop you have a 10% chance.

It is a good game and I actually liked a lot of it but the greed behind it was so bad that I can not support this kind of business model.  Maybe this works in Korea but in NA when I pay a sub, I want access to the entire game for the entire month, not just a one hour crafting period. 

I dont mind a labor system that restricts everyone but a labor system that only restricts those not willing to pay more money each week is greedy.  I dont mind a low drop rate but when you can buy better drop rates from the cash shop that is greedy.  Nice game, but built with greed at every turn.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685

LOL!

Dear Steelwind, the complaints about the game are entirely justified.  Trion outright stole a lot of money from people while they lied about the game like super champs.  I am glad you are enjoying the game, but the threads will still be loaded with complaints from those who felt they were robbed, so get used to it.  Trion destroyed any reputation they had the way they monitized the game and failed to control the bots and cheaters.

Elder Scrolls Online,  FFXIV ARR, and WoW Warlords of Draenor seem to have limited amounts of complaining compared to Archeage while also enjoying a general level of success (perhaps.  ESO is going B2P now apparently but there weren't many player complaints about it, so presumably it's for the likely reason that subs just are more... difficult to earn money with).  Marvel Heroes got off to an absolutely horrible start but now is winning many awards from various websites, many of them voted for by fans.

Perhaps Archeage is different because Archeage/Trion/XLGames/SOMEONE is doing something WRONG. (though I wouldn't be too surprised if a posting of their profits revealed that they were doing something oh-so-very-right... at least when it comes to profits, not necessarily when it comes to what is good for the game, per R2Games' presentation on how the F2P business model often works for maximizing profits)

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    Until they fire the current management, including the CEO; I have no interest in any of their games. I hope a miracle happens so they can salvage this company.

Originally posted by TiamatRoar

LOL!

Elder Scrolls Online,  FFXIV ARR, and WoW Warlords of Draenor seem to have limited amounts of complaining compared to Archeage while also enjoying a general level of success (perhaps.  ESO is going B2P now apparently but there weren't many player complaints about it, so presumably it's for the likely reason that subs just are more... difficult to earn money with).  Marvel Heroes got off to an absolutely horrible start but now is winning many awards from various websites, many of them voted for by fans.

Yet all these games revolve around gear treadmill, no open pvp worth salt, and charge for every expansion in order to advance your character and remain competitive. There is no economy for crafters because basically everything can be attained via PvE activities. AA at least attempts to innovate the genre, moreso than any game since Eve.

If you are a patron and run out of labor and still want to play, why don't you PvP or something... if there was infinite labor people would just farm all day and never leave safe areas.

• TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    Originally posted by JDis25

LOL!

Yet all these games revolve around gear treadmill, no open pvp worth salt, and charge for every expansion in order to advance your character and remain competitive. There is no economy for crafters because basically everything can be attained via PvE activities. AA at least attempts to innovate the genre, moreso than any game since Eve.

If you are a patron and run out of labor and still want to play, why don't you PvP or something... if there was infinite labor people would just farm all day and never leave safe areas.

So, just so I get this straight, is your hypothesis/statement "People are unwilling to 'give the devs time to resolve' Archeage's issues because it attempted to innovate the genre."?

An interesting hypothesis but... I'm not really drawing the connection, honestly.  Could you explain or give evidence why you think this is the case?  Something concrete would be preferred, obviously.

Originally posted by JDis25

LOL!

So, just so I get this straight, is your hypothesis/statement "People are unwilling to 'give the devs time to resolve' Archeage's issues because it attempted to innovate the genre."?

An interesting hypothesis but... I'm not really drawing the connection, honestly.  Could you explain or give evidence why you think this is the case?  Something concrete would be preferred, obviously.

I don't think F2P with cash shop is the best model, but it works for some games (Planetside 2 comes to mind), AA's is a bit more monetized but I think people are too wary of it and demonize it into something it's not. Granted it is my biggest gripe about the game, but I don't think Trion are money hungry game killers. You choose how much time/money to commit to AA. You don't need to spend a fortune to compete, certainly no more than buying each WoW expac and subbing for years at a time. 

Labor as a Patron is usually enough,and there is the free labor pot every 5 days if you choose. There is also the ability to spend some gold on Workers' comp potions. This gives value to crafting and also gives incentive to actually get out into the world and PvP. 

Hacking has been signficantly reduced. I haven't found inflation to be too detrimental at all. In fact I make more money now than I ever did in comparison.

I give credit where credit is due, and I believe AA (in it's original vision) brought out a lot of what people never knew they wanted. Of course I think Trion blew some BIG opportunities, but when will the demonization/false accusations of the game end? Just let up already and let the community of AA exist in some semblance of peace.

• 123443211234123443211234 Member UncommonPosts: 244

Fuck Trion, Fuck Archeage, burn this piece of shit game and company to the ground and never look back.  Seriously Archeage blows and the way they monetized every single goddamn thing is ridiculous, just give us a sub with all access to a game, not a sub and multiple pay gates in the cash shop along with heavy p2w/cash -->gold conversion bullshit mechanics.

(only thought about AA  again cause article was on the front page)

• ShortyBibleShortyBible Member UncommonPosts: 409
    Originally posted by Pemmin

"Inflation is a valid issue and we see it every day as we play the game. The economy is expanding more rapidly than we anticipated"

yeah no shit...what did they think was going to happen when they added token weapons that were equal to the second highest tier weapons.

There are too many faucets and not enough sinks.

If I recall the way gold leaves the game is ,

1. Auction house fees.

2. NPC purchases.

3. Item repair. 

I can't think of any more.  (Add more if you can think of them)

Being able to pay your taxes with gold was another sink, but was removed so they could

sell Tex certificates in the Cash Shop.

Basically the gold enters the game and moves between the players,

Unless they add more sinks it will only get worse.

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Im sorry .. too mutch excitement, where there is nothing to be excited about.

Not a single word about changes in the core game mechanics.

The Labor is shit.

• ShortyBibleShortyBible Member UncommonPosts: 409
    Originally posted by Talonsin

I remember when paying a sub for a game allowed you to access all the content as much as you want.  In Archeage, a sub only allows you to have fun using 1500 labor points per day which is less than an hour of mining.  After that, you can only PVP.

I remember when game companies were focused on making fun games and not designing cash shops that gave you better chances at drops.  The drop rate for TS trees is .23% (This was pulled from the decompiled game program) but if you buy a rumbling tree from the cash shop you have a 10% chance.

It is a good game and I actually liked a lot of it but the greed behind it was so bad that I can not support this kind of business model.  Maybe this works in Korea but in NA when I pay a sub, I want access to the entire game for the entire month, not just a one hour crafting period. 

I dont mind a labor system that restricts everyone but a labor system that only restricts those not willing to pay more money each week is greedy.  I dont mind a low drop rate but when you can buy better drop rates from the cash shop that is greedy.  Nice game, but built with greed at every turn.

Well said Talosin. You expressed my thoughts.

• NoxiousBassNoxiousBass Member UncommonPosts: 257

ArcheAge does have it´s fair amount of problems that is a fact. But I must say that I haven´t played an MMO which gave me the most global entertainment value in years.

Just hope that the game keeps getting better with the patches coming out. My guess is it will be in it´s best when 2.0 finally comes out.

• Drew213Drew213 Member UncommonPosts: 60

What they should do is nuke the whole damn game and start over.

• movros99movros99 Member UncommonPosts: 125
    Originally posted by FlyByKnight
    Reading this article cost me 20 labor.

I lol'd.  Perfect reply.  I am done with P2W Archeage.  

• neosparkkneosparkk Member UncommonPosts: 59
    After reading this I felt compelled to check to wallet to make sure none of my money was stolen... Where is this game heading? Hopefully the trash with the rest of Trion...
  • mraneremranere Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Originally posted by FlyByKnight
    Reading this article cost me 20 labor.

That made me choke on my beer. Well done.

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878

Leaving aside any other reservations about AA that I might have: The decision to enable PvP in a new housing area is one which I do not understand.

It seems like they would have much more success in the NA and EU markets if they gave a bit more "respite" to the players who want to pursue pve objectives and just tolerate the pvp abuse that gets in the way of that because they like other features of AA -- open world, open seas, fishing, exploring, etc.

But to not even have a safe home would be too much for me to enjoy this game, even though I do like my pvp if it's done right.

• AlalalaAlalala Member UncommonPosts: 314

OK, stop.  The problems with ArcheAge go back loooooong before it was launched in the West - XLGames was well aware of the issues with its client and network coding and how vulnerable this game was to hackers, cheaters, and bots.  This game had been available in So.Korea and Russia and these concerns were all there as well.  In addition, there was a beta period in the West release, and again, to the surprise of absolutely no one, all the same type of game-breaking issues were present and transitioned smoothly into the launch. 

Stay away from ArcheAge.  Keep your wallet closed.  In fact, stay away from anything published by Trion  - let them know the gaming community is intolerant of bugs, cheats, hacks, bots, gold spammers, greedy cash shops, poor management, and unresponsive developers.

Pity, really.  Under all the shit that has come to define ArcheAge and destroy Trion's reputation, there actually is some good gaming buried there.  With a developer and publisher who were concerned both about quality and a fair profit - what could have been....

• haplo602haplo602 Member UncommonPosts: 253

Those were the times where open betas were almost non-existent so there was no other way but patience. These days, each game has at least 3-4 months of open beta so there is not much patience left on launch day.