Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG=Last of the good websites

2»

Comments

• sonicbrewsonicbrew Member UncommonPosts: 515
    First Ten Ton Hammer derailed and now Massively. As a long time member of this site since its inception I have nothing good to say about it all.

“Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.” ~ Italian proverb   

• UnleadedRevUnleadedRev Member UncommonPosts: 568
    Originally posted by BillMurphy

I just wanted to pop in and tell you all that I CANNOT wait to show you what we're working on for the new site.

We know we're long overdue for an overhaul, and what we're building will (I think) put us close to the same league as Polygon, Verge, and so forth in terms of design. It's that good what Evan's created.

Just bear with us a little longer and we'll start showing it off. I can't say dates, except "soon". But I will promise this year. :)

I have always liked your format of MMORPG.COM , it is unique and  a pleasure to navigate and read.

Please do not make it look like all those other game sites that all look the same.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

I just wanted to pop in and tell you all that I CANNOT wait to show you what we're working on for the new site.

We know we're long overdue for an overhaul, and what we're building will (I think) put us close to the same league as Polygon, Verge, and so forth in terms of design. It's that good what Evan's created.

Just bear with us a little longer and we'll start showing it off. I can't say dates, except "soon". But I will promise this year. :)

I hope for some strong distinctions been MMO, MOBA, RPG etc so we know what it is before we click on it. Really hope thsi goes well for you guys as I love the site.

• ThexReporterThexReporter Member UncommonPosts: 124
    LOL.. "Good".
  • JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009
    The only thing doing bad in the genre are cookie cutter big budget theme parks that can't out WoW, WoW. What we are seeing now is a transitional period in which crowd funding and smaller niche projects are trying new things. Its a great time to be an MMO player if you are sick of WoW and its clones.
  • garrettgarrett MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 284

Hi Guys, 

as Bill said, we have something GREAT to show you soon!! I hate being so cryptic, but just hang in there :) 

Also, as times change, we do too. The concept of the AAA MMO has gone away in some respects. Yet you have a ton of online games popping up all over the place. Consoles offer more multi-player options than ever now. You also have a huge amount of independent sand box MMOs coming to the market and they keep getting better and better (Crowfall...cough). 

For the past 2 years at GDC talks people say the same thing, "Every game will eventually be an MMO." This trend continues to be true. We do our best to cover all the MMOs out there, we made the push to cover RPGs as well and have seen success with that. It really is all about reporting on and knowing what you guys want to see and trying to find games out there that we think you will like. At our core we are still an MMORPG site. That will never change. As the concept or design of an MMO or even an RPG changes, we will be there to cover it in the best way we can. 

:p 
  • CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

I hope for some strong distinctions been MMO, MOBA, RPG etc so we know what it is before we click on it. Really hope thsi goes well for you guys as I love the site.

I truly hope so; calling every online game an MMO (even if they merely borrow some MMO features) is irresponsible and utterly sloppy. Video games have been doing this for many many years without the need to eliminate any trace of categorization, and labeling them all with a three letter acronym. 

It's gotten so bad that according to some posters on this site, Combat Arms is a bloody MMO. 

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Gardavsshade
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by Enbysra

PC games are, in fact, more popular than ever, particular with steam and the indie scene.

Personally I think the classical MMORPGs have run its course .. they are too big, and unwieldy, and not convenient and fun enough for me, and I welcome the changes to more instanced, more game-like, more variety in MMOs.

First, the "classical MMORPG" is no where near the end of it's days. In fact, the future of MMORPGs will be far greater than at any point of it's past. Make no mistake about it, this period is just a lull. I have access to information that allows me to make such a statement knowingly. 

And to my knowledge "- x = less" not "- x = more". So actually, your "more variety" as it turns out, is "less variety."

less variety when now we have MOBAs, instanced games, pvp only games, and so on?

May be for you .. certainly not for me.

And i highly doubt you know anything. Even if you know somewhere some indie group is doing a single "classical MMO", i doubt that will change the genre. Look around you ... even this place is broadening their coverage.

But of course you can say "i am in the know" as much as you wish ... i don't have to believe it.

Try to be civil please. Your opinion is valid. So is everyone else's here.

As far as any Indy project changing the genre.... you and others are already on a campaign to change the genre and in a direction most opposite anything that could be considered "Classical"... is that what fired you up?

If so please be informed that there are some of us who disagree with you. Some of us want the Genre to return to it's classical roots but you already know that.

We don't hate you, we just disagree that on what direction the Genre should go. That's why this is a forum and why we debate here.

So can we please have discussion here without some calling others stupid? Because from where I am from that's exactly what "I highly doubt you know anything" means. It's highly derogatory and I should report you for it... but we are grown ups and I don't think we need to call in the Forum Moderators.

nah .. "i highly doubt you know anything" does not mean calling him stupid (and where are you from anyway?). I mean exactly that. He said he has information about the future of MMORPGs, and i doubt it. In fact, it is a dime a dozen that on the internet someone claims he knows something without backing it up.

I don't see a problem calling him out on that. Don't tell me I should just believe it everything someone said "believe whatever i said .. because ... I know something!" .. without telling anyone what that something is.

Originally posted by Cecropia

It's gotten so bad that according to some posters on this site, Combat Arms is a bloody MMO. 

Why is that bad? It drives more traffic and discussions.

If MMOs are just the classical MMORPGs like UO & EQ ... discussion sites would be dying off.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

If MMOs are just the classical MMORPGs like UO & EQ ... discussion sites would be dying off.

I am frankly no longer willing to explain what I and so many others members have already explained to you yet again for the hundredth time. 

This is a basic fundamental thing that simply isn't hitting home.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

I am frankly no longer willing to explain what I and so many others members have already explained to you yet again for the hundredth time. 

Yeh you are more than willing to explain that you are not longer willing to explain? Very puzzling. You can simply leave me hanging wondering what is the answer ... but you chose not to.

and may be you should be more open minded. May be broadening MMO is a good thing for site operators. May be not for you .. but the internet don't only care about you, right?

• BascolaBascola Member UncommonPosts: 425

I think you should focus on your content more than the look:

• Hire people that can spell.
    • Write more quality articles and up to date articles.
    • Write more reviews and improve the review process.
    • Get someone with experience in community management.

Cleanup the forums which are currently run by the french inquisition with bans handed out for simply using the terms "fanboi" or  "white knight" not to mention any negative post will be immediately flagged as trolling because they are "overly negative" as you like to put it.

You got a lot to improve but it ain't the look.

PS: I am not being "overly negative", i merely offered constructive criticism and solutions, no need to swing the ban hammer just because you disagree.

• DelCabonDelCabon Member UncommonPosts: 258

Personally I have enjoyed this site over the years, watching it grow and expand its coverage.

I visited Massively only a few times that I can remember and usually as a result of a news link from another site. It always appeared to me, at least, to be more of a commercial site than a fan based one.

I also like that this site has expanded its base to include RPG's that seem like a natural extension given my own interests.

For a fairly long time user I have probably one of the lowest yearly averages for posts. I am completely unmotivated to participate in posts that aren't constructive or intended to illicit negative reactions.

Having the time and resources to play any game for me is a distraction that should always be fun. I enjoy that MMORPG.com is always eager to point out the positives even with games they may score low. Of course people are quick to attack these reviews but for me the staff here seem to genuinely enjoy their profession and eager to allow users to form their own opinions based on constructive input.

Keep up the good work :)

Del Cabon
    A US Army ('Just Cause') Vet and MMORPG Native formerly of Trinsic, Norath and Dereth. Currently playing LOTRO. 

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437
    MMORPGS are long time dead now. It's only logical that websites die too. Of course if you consider online games like mmos, that gives the "genre" new blood, but at the cost of losing it's meaning which in the long run will be bad too.
  • krevrakrevra Member UncommonPosts: 50

I just checked out TheVerge and Polygon and im not a fan at all, it just feels like a hot mess and those colors they put over the pictures are horrendous. Though honestly this theme is so year 2000 lol. Def needs an upgrade we will see exactly what it is when its all done. I hope it has a bit cleaner looking. It all comes down to how you break everything down and how organized it will be. Verge and Polygon just seem to have everything everywhere. I would prefer something like gamespot which is cleaner looking.

• KuviskiKuviski Member UncommonPosts: 215
    Originally posted by garrett

Hi Guys, 

as Bill said, we have something GREAT to show you soon!! I hate being so cryptic, but just hang in there :) 

Also, as times change, we do too. The concept of the AAA MMO has gone away in some respects. Yet you have a ton of online games popping up all over the place. Consoles offer more multi-player options than ever now. You also have a huge amount of independent sand box MMOs coming to the market and they keep getting better and better (Crowfall...cough). 

For the past 2 years at GDC talks people say the same thing, "Every game will eventually be an MMO." This trend continues to be true. We do our best to cover all the MMOs out there, we made the push to cover RPGs as well and have seen success with that. It really is all about reporting on and knowing what you guys want to see and trying to find games out there that we think you will like. At our core we are still an MMORPG site. That will never change. As the concept or design of an MMO or even an RPG changes, we will be there to cover it in the best way we can. 

What I really think has indeed happened is that the definition of the term MMO has changed in everyday speech. However, that doesn't mean you as a site should comply with the change. What at least I would rather see major hobbyist sites such as MMMORPG.com do is fight back the redefinition of the word.

It is coming to a point where every game with online features can be called an MMO, yet at the same time every game coming out, more and more, has said online features. What this eventually means is the site will turn to simply another gaming website, generally talking video games (albeit mostly PC ones). What I would like to see MMORPG.com now do is take a couple of steps back and focus on the niche it was made to focus on: massively online games, particularly those of the RPG subgenre.

Originally posted by Metentso
    MMORPGS are long time dead now. It's only logical that websites die too. Of course if you consider online games like mmos, that gives the "genre" new blood, but at the cost of losing it's meaning which in the long run will be bad too.

Why is that bad?

A meaning that few cares about .. is pointless. This is a site about current games. Now you can always set up a website to talk about old games, and history of MMOs, and all those stuff.

But if the current modern MMOs have changed from the past ... i don't see a problem of changing the meaning of the term. It is not like it is anything more than just common usage.

Originally posted by Kuviski

What I really think has indeed happened is that the definition of the term MMO has changed in everyday speech. However, that doesn't mean you as a site should comply with the change. What at least I would rather see major hobbyist sites such as MMMORPG.com do is fight back the redefinition of the word.

It is coming to a point where every game with online features can be called an MMO, yet at the same time every game coming out, more and more, has said online features. What this eventually means is the site will turn to simply another gaming website, generally talking video games (albeit mostly PC ones). What I would like to see MMORPG.com now do is take a couple of steps back and focus on the niche it was made to focus on: massively online games, particularly those of the RPG subgenre.

Why should MMORPG.com fight back gaming trends? It should do the opposite and LEAD the trend. There is no reason to hold onto old ideas, and the old ways. This is not a gaming history site (which, of course, someone can make that too). I think people here want new ideas and innovation (or at least they said they do).

In fact, if this turns into a more general gaming site, there are more to talk about. I am all for it. And no one says you cannot talk about the old stuff .. even if the site is broadened.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

Seriously if the dozens of threads and hundreds of posts explaining what a MMO is have not had any effect your better off explaining it to a rock and have a higher chance of the rock understanding you.

Dear rocks, a MOBA can become an MMO like so MMOBA.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• manaekmanaek Member Posts: 33

MMO genre is not dead. It is simply transforming, and merging with other genres. Like it happens all the time in gaming industry. Themepark cookie-cutter MMORPGs - yeah, those might die off, except for WoW of course. And good fucking riddance, I should say. What you are seeing now is a normal period of recession that every genre goes through.

As a gamer, first games I've ever played were RTS games. Dune 2, Warcraft 1. Then C&C and Warcraft 2 came, they were immensely sucessfull. The genre was as popular as modern military FPS games are today. And with popularity, came the huge wave of clones. "C&C clones", "warcraft clones" - and they were crappy, they were made by companies who wanted to cash in on the popularity of RTS genre. Not all of them were bad, some companies actually tried to bring something new, or attempted to reinterpret the ideas, rather than blatantly copy them. Total Annihilation is the prime example. But majority of these were absolute trash. Most of them failed, only the flagship C&C and Warcraft franchises survived through everything (CnC was of course killed by EA later). But on the other hand, the popularity of RTS and the gameplay ideas it brought helped shape modern gaming, spawning tons of hybrid games. Total War series for example, RTS/TBS hybrid game. MOBA began as Warcraft 3 mod. Its always sad to see your fauvorite genre having a hard time, but its all for the better.

Gaming is evolving. It is illogical to assume otherwise. In fact, it is not just the entertainment trends that affect this process, but technological advancement too. Many game design decisions originally came from technical limitations of the platforms. Classical TAB-targetting hotkey mashing MMO combat system with global cooldown was initially designed because in those days, most people had Dial-Up, and average latency of internet conenctions was much higher than today. These days, there is no reason to use it really. Only maybe out of desire to market the game for WoW audience. Or because the developers want to stick to something familiar. New genres come when people want something that old genres cannot give. MMO evolved as genre because...well....other games, not MMOs, were mostly offline. So, MMO despite many of its deficiencies, provided something other genres simply didn't have. It provided large-scale multiplayer, as well as persistent long-term character progression in multiplayer environment. These days...look at Battlefield 4 - it basically has MMO style progression, XP and levels and shit.

Even more so, the whole "massive world where everyone is together on the same instance" sounds nice, but it only makes real sense in PVP centric MMO, like EVE, or ArcheAge. Because it means more PVP. For PVE, its not only pointless, but as it turns out - harmfull. Why the heck do I need to compete with other players for quest mobs? Why do I see all those players anyway when I am doing single-player quests? What is the point? The PVE themepark MMO design fades away, because there is no reason for a classical themepark today - modern instancing technology makes it possible to give each player, or each small group of players, their own instance of a gaming world, of an area or a map, where they do stuff without being disturbed. Maybe have 1-2 central hubs which are not instanced. For trade, roleplay and stuff. Which is by the way, the exact way Destiny works.

Change is always difficult. And sometimes sad. But cheer up, the fact that MMORPG is currently in a state such as it is - it only means that new, amazing games that combine MMORPG elements with other genres to create something unimaginable before are coming. And they cant come soon enough.

Originally posted by manaek

Even more so, the whole "massive world where everyone is together on the same instance" sounds nice, but it only makes real sense in PVP centric MMO, like EVE, or ArcheAge. Because it means more PVP. For PVE, its not only pointless, but as it turns out - harmfull. Why the heck do I need to compete with other players for quest mobs? Why do I see all those players anyway when I am doing single-player quests? What is the point?

you said it ... exactly what sometimes I want to express.

many pve MMOs are basically hack-n-slash progression games, and you don't need a world for it ... as D3, marvel heroes, warframe, and many other games have shown. And the world is actually harmful, unless you only use it as a lobby.

so may be this kind of MMOs should just ditch the world (and in fact, many do).

In fact, this includes e-sport too. To make sure it is fair, the team size, and environment needs to be controlled, and there is no need to do it in a "virtual world".

• KuviskiKuviski Member UncommonPosts: 215
    Originally posted by Kuviski

Why should MMORPG.com fight back gaming trends? It should do the opposite and LEAD the trend. There is no reason to hold onto old ideas, and the old ways. This is not a gaming history site (which, of course, someone can make that too). I think people here want new ideas and innovation (or at least they said they do).

In fact, if this turns into a more general gaming site, there are more to talk about. I am all for it. And no one says you cannot talk about the old stuff .. even if the site is broadened.

This has nothing to do with being opposed to genre evolution. The problem is simply that as a term, MMORPG and especially MMO are becoming too broad, simply because the terms are being misused and more and more games fulfill the new criteria. What MMORPG.com should do is keep at it's own niche, because that's what people come here to read about. If I want to read about games of different genres, I go to different websites.

The site is called MMORPG.com, not games-with-online-capability.com. It should attempt to keep true to it's name.