Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sony Online Entertainment (SOE) acquired by Columbus Nova

FilburFilbur Member UncommonPosts: 254
Columbus Nova Acquires Sony Online Entertainment

Leading Online Games Company Rebranded Daybreak Game Company

SAN DIEGO - February 2, 2014 - Columbus Nova, an investment management firm based in New York, announced today that it has completed its acquisition of Sony Online Entertainment LLC (SOE), a recognized worldwide leader in massively multiplayer online (MMO) games and emergent gameplay.

Best known for its community-first approach, and blockbuster hits and franchises, including EverQuest®, PlanetSide®2, DC Universe™ Online, H1Z1™, Landmark™ and the highly-anticipated EverQuest Next™, SOE has developed compelling online entertainment for a variety of platforms since 1999.

With the completion of the transaction, SOE will now operate as an independent game development studio and will continue to focus on creating quality online games, providing excellent service to its extensive player base, while centering on its untapped potential as a multi-platform online gaming company. Along with the transaction, SOE will be rebranded and operate under the new name of Daybreak Game Company LLC ( www.DaybreakGameCompany.com.)

"Sony Online Entertainment, newly rebranded as Daybreak, is a great addition to our existing portfolio of technology, media and entertainment focused companies. We see tremendous opportunities for growth with the expansion of the company's game portfolio through multi-platform offerings as well as an exciting portfolio of new quality games coming up, including the recently launched H1Z1 and the highly anticipated EverQuest Next to be released in the near future," said Jason Epstein, Senior Partner of Columbus Nova. "The recent Early Access launch success of H1Z1 is just one testament to the talent and dedication of the studio's developers to create great online gaming experiences."

"We are excited to join Columbus Nova's impressive roster of companies. They have a proven track record in similar and related industries and we are eager to move forward to see how we can push the boundaries of online gaming," said John Smedley, President, Daybreak Game Company. "We will continue to focus on delivering exceptional games to players around the world, as well as bringing our portfolio to new platforms, fully embracing the multi-platform world in which we all live."

Comments

• vadio123vadio123 Member UncommonPosts: 593
    I curious about it going reflect in new titles and actuals
  • JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353

This isn't good. Gaming just keeps getting better and better! *sigh*

Investment firm now owns SoE, a company that I believe offered great f2p value in their games, is now going to be firmly owned and operated by an organization that will only look at the bottom line and cares nothing about games.

Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    Not an all together surprising move by Sony.  They havent been doing well for a long time now.  One more step in downsizing, and getting out of markets they cant afford to invest in I guess.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

So what exactly does this mean for you? It will be business as usual and all SOE games will continue on their current path of development and operation. In fact, we expect to have even more resources available to us as a result of this acquisition. It also means new exciting developments for our existing IP and games as we can now fully embrace the multi-platform world we are living in.

/sigh...

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402

This is unexpected...well the Columbus Nova buying a gaming company like SOE, not Sony selling them (that was in the air).

Columbus Nova is a private firm that plan for long term investment, so this isn't a "cash&grab" where they resell SOE in a year or two. They are also privately owned so they don't have to please shareholders.

• EverketEverket Member UncommonPosts: 244

@BringVanguardBack

It had to be said.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178
    Originally posted by JDis25

Investment firm now owns SoE, a company that I believe offered great f2p value in their games, is now going to be firmly owned and operated by an organization that will only look at the bottom line and cares nothing about games.

Actually it seems to be that this company is focusing on a long term steady cash flow. This might mean quality games that will have a high retention and long term player base or cash grabs F2P mmo's. Looking at there website it seems they go for the high retention one and not just about creating as much as possible and sell it to consumers. We will see though. 

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

SAN DIEGO - February 2, 2014 - Columbus Nova, an investment management firm based in New York, announced today that it has completed its acquisition of Sony Online Entertainment LLC (SOE), a recognized worldwide leader in massively multiplayer online (MMO) games and emergent gameplay.

Uhm, I think you mean 2015.

Still, not sure if this is good or bad news. SOE have been going downwards for a long time and maybe a new owner can change that and put in some more money for more devs to EQN. Then again, they might make things worse as well.

• DoomsDay01DoomsDay01 Member UncommonPosts: 783
    Its not going to change a thing. My understanding is that smed will still be there running things. If thats the case, then they are still going to be a mediocre gaming company at best. SOE hasnt been a leader in the mmo world in years but if they get rid of smed then maybe, just maybe, they can regain that title.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

It is a SMALL saving grace for the company because thanks to Smedley SOE had a bad reputation and deserved it.

Perhaps under a new brand they can slowly gain back some reputation.I just wonder what happens with Semdley does he remain in control because if he does this will only get one more brand a bad reputation.I never really like to be happy over another's failure,it somehow is not right,but in one case i would be very happy if the main board of Sony would fire Smedley ,he has been a virus on the division known as SOE.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Tallic234Tallic234 Member UncommonPosts: 27
    How does John Smedley keep surviving?  I have watched him for years and he keeps coming back. He has more lives than Mike Meyers. I wish all fans of SOE products the best.
  • Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335
    Originally posted by bcbully

So what exactly does this mean for you? It will be business as usual and all SOE games will continue on their current path of development and operation. In fact, we expect to have even more resources available to us as a result of this acquisition. It also means new exciting developments for our existing IP and games as we can now fully embrace the multi-platform world we are living in.

/sigh...

Business as usual: No SOE LIVE / Fan Faire this year has already been announced.

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Tallic234
    How does John Smedley keep surviving?  I have watched him for years and he keeps coming back. He has more lives than Mike Meyers. I wish all fans of SOE products the best.

Is SOE making money? I think the answer is basically that.

• SevalaSevala Member UncommonPosts: 220
    I hope they axe Smedley finally...thats about all I got for 2 cents on the matter. SOE has burned more bridges than a war zone.

~I am Many~

• KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    Maybe people who called everyone who said SoE was in serious financial trouble and that Sony wanted to get rid of them.."trolls"...should apologize.
  • ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130

I hope you're joking

• AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665

'while centering on its untapped potential as a multi-platform online gaming company'

Ugh...

(Since you can't see my face right now: I look like I just swallowed a spoon full of vinegar)

• JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

That depends on the company actually. More than a few investment companies that buy out existing companies do so with the knowledge that they are getting something capable of producing income and thus don't interfere directly that much.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/