Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: SOE Goes Indie - Now Known as Daybreak Game Company

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

UPDATE: No SOE Live (or DGC Live) for 2015

SOE Live will take a hiatus as we focus on our exciting transition and the future of Daybreak Game Company.

— Brasse (@Brasse) February 2, 2015

Sony Online Entertainment has been acquired by an investment management firm that specializes in technology, media and entertainment companies. Called "Columbus Nova", the move effectively makes SOE an independent games development studio. Of keen interest is the fact that, as an indie developer, SOE will now be able to create games across multiple platforms including XBox, mobile and more. As part of the acquisition, SOE will now be known as Daybreak Game Company.

From the company statement, there will be no interruption in games or other services provided by the company formerly known as SOE. In the long term, it means more games, more platforms, more genres.

We'll keep you posted as the story develops.

Read more on the SOE forum (or more accurately, the DGC forum!).

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• vadio123vadio123 Member UncommonPosts: 593
    only time say its going be good for us 
  • BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Awesome,  I would love to play PS2 and H1Z1 on my xb1.  
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

Interesting times were living in...

Curious to see the changes that are coming. Only question is, will they be good or bad?

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Gonna be some changes over there I think.

• parpinparpin Member UncommonPosts: 220

that does not sound good..because why SONY as parent company of soe ,,sold the soe to this new company columbus nova.. if the soe was profitable enough why would big sony sell it?? considering sony is not doing well in general..then why  they sold the profitable part of it??

unless they basically get rid of it because it was not good for them anymore.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    How does this prevent them from still making low quality games as they did even when they had money from sony.
  • VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Daybreak Games?

So... DBG?

As in D-Bag?

Uh oh...

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Originally posted by parpin

that does not sound good..because why SONY as parent company of soe ,,sold the soe to this new company columbus nova.. if the soe was profitable enough why would big sony sell it?? considering sony is not doing well in general..then why  they sold the profitable part of it??

Much needed capital. 

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

So now SOE is owned by a venture capitalist company.

I expect allot of layoffs in the coming weeks and more intrusive microtransactions.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

Grats? Sorry not sure how to take this lol 

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2015/02/02/sony-online-entertainment-sold-to-investment-firm-now-daybreak-game-company/

QUOTE PLS READ

“Sony Online Entertainment, newly rebranded as Daybreak, is a great addition to our existing portfolio of technology, media and entertainment focused companies. We see tremendous opportunities for growth with the expansion of the company’s game portfolio through multi-platform offerings as well as an exciting portfolio of new quality games,” said Jason Epstein, Senior Partner of Columbus Nova, in a press release. “The recent Early Access launch success of H1Z1 is just one testament to the talent and dedication of the studio’s developers to create great online gaming experiences.”

SOE president John Smedley will remain president at Daybreak.

“We are excited to join Columbus Nova’s impressive roster of companies. They have a proven track record in similar and related industries and we are eager to move forward to see how we can push the boundaries of online gaming,” Smedley said in a statement. “We will continue to focus on delivering exceptional games to players around the world, as well as bringing our portfolio to new platforms, fully embracing the multi-platform world in which we all live.”

• mbojan75mbojan75 Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Sooo...Vanguard is coming back?

HAD TO DO IT, HAD TO!
  • sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458

Agree!

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393

I'm just going to go there....  First massively,  then Sony, I predict the next big news item to be wow going f2p.  

Originally posted by Precusor

I expect allot of layoffs in the coming weeks and more intrusive microtransactions.

Won't be remotely surprised if you're correct! It's the crony-capitalist way.

Who ever said SOE was profitable?

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

Curious what this will mean for EverQuest Next, a thing that has seemingly been troubled and slow in development. Will we finally learn the truth?
  • Binny45Binny45 Member UncommonPosts: 522

Personally I think that Sony needs to get back to what they knew best: Hardware.

This allows for fresh air into their software/game development.

Only time will tell, but to be honest I think it speaks well for where the company is going.  Investment firms generally don't put money into companies that are ready to go belly up or doing crappy work.  Company's that do generally don't make it very far as an investment firm. :)

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Bye Smedley? 
  • udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by saker

Won't be remotely surprised if you're correct! It's the crony-capitalist way.

Not always as it depends what they want out of SOE.  Do they want to strip as much out of the company as they can over 6-12 months and than abandoned the shell or do they want to add online gaming to their clients investment profiles?  The latter could mean new investment capital and new games although it could also mean heavily monitized ones at that as well but that wouldn't really be any different than the SOE of old.

Why is this being called Indie?  It's far and away not what I would consider a Indie company.  It's moving from one big corporate owner to another. 

• TimesplitTimesplit Member UncommonPosts: 191
    I think it's about time. If what's been shown on here before, about how it's like to work at SOE, they should've closed that bleeding wound sooner rather than later. Who knows how many people will be laid off due to this, if they're not qualified for their job.
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    I wonder if this includes the PS4 or at least the PS network.  Sony has been bleeding money for awhile now, nobody wants/has wanted their overpriced TVs and PCs since the 90s.
    Originally posted by Vonatar
    Bye Smedley? 

Oh.. hes done..

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Don't want to belabor the point but I wish you'd use the full word "independent" when using it in the generic sense.

"Indie" in the context of game studios has come to mean something much smaller scale... whoever the parent company is, this does not make SOE or DBG and indie studio in the way we think of the them.

Although, I suppose, with enough layoffs they could get there.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Originally posted by Gravarg
    I wonder if this includes the PS4 or at least the PS network.  Sony has been bleeding money for awhile now, nobody wants/has wanted their overpriced TVs and PCs since the 90s.

SOE has nothing to do with Sony's PlayStation.

Originally posted by Gravarg

SOE has nothing to do with Sony's PlayStation.

SOE provided all of the infrastructure for the PSN... they were the backbone of the network.