Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Neverwinter: Oathbound Paladins Subject of New Design Blog

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Cryptic Studios has published a brand new developer design blog that centers around the Oathbound Paladin, the new class coming with the Elemental Evil module. The post goes into detail about the two distinctive Paragon paths the Oathbound Paladin can take, either as a healer or as a tank.

When the time comes to select a particular path, players will be able to take one of the following "oaths":

• Oath of Protection: Increases healing by 100% and gives the recipient a 5% stats increase for eight seconds

• Oath of Devotion: Generates 500% more threat and take 10% less damage. In addition, the oath allows players up to 10% of their maximum health as added power when taking damage

The class mechanic is called "Divine Call" that can be stacked up to three times. A passive skill, the mechanic is tailored to the oath taken.

• Divine Call: 1 charge that heals allies slightly within a 30' radius or taunts enemies in a 30' radius

• Divine Call of Devotion: 1 charge that heals all allies within 30' and if used within 10 seconds, heals for +50% more

• Divine Call of Protection: Taunts all enemies within 30' and gives the player +10% damage resistance and +5% damage reflection as long as the mechanic is active.

The blog goes into more detail about some of the specific skills including the auras Paladins bring to a party that make them essential members:

• Aura of Courage that gives all players within a 30' radius a damage bonus

• Aura of Truth that reduces damage of allies within 30' by 5%

• Aura of Wisdom that increases recharge speed by 10% within 30' of the Paladin

• Aura of Haste gives a 20% movement increase and 20% faster AP recharge within 30' of the Paladin

Lastly, the Cryptic team participated in a Twitch broadcast last week to show off the Oathbound Paladin in action. You can check it out on the Neverwinter / PWE / Cryptic Studios Twitch page.

Read the full blog on the Neverwinter site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917
    At this rate they'll have 25% of the 4e classes by their own 10 year anniversary.
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,848
    Originally posted by meonthissite
    At this rate they'll have 25% of the 4e classes by their own 10 year anniversary.

They're up to 8 of 27 classes after a year and a half.

So, they just might make it.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    At least they don't just put 20 half asses classes in that barely feel different *cough EQ2*. Much rather have fewer well thought out and interesting unique choices.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    Originally posted by Dreamo84
    At least they don't just put 20 half asses classes in that barely feel different *cough EQ2*. Much rather have fewer well thought out and interesting unique choices.

Yep.. like the Cat-astrophe right?  Well thought out.  (snort)

• MellowTiggerMellowTigger Member UncommonPosts: 84
    After reading the paladin description, I have to wonder the point of the guardian fighter now?  Paladin seems to do a better job of managing PvE aggro, and it self-heals.
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Not sure what an AH bug has to do with class design, but ok?

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

There are those that are easily scarred by games - and will be obsessing about the same small issues 50 years from now.  But you're right, one has nothing to do with the other.  It was a weak cheap shot.

I like the differences the classes in the game have.  I'm hoping the paladin follows that trend.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Originally posted by MellowTigger
    After reading the paladin description, I have to wonder the point of the guardian fighter now?  Paladin seems to do a better job of managing PvE aggro, and it self-heals.

I was literally thinking the same thing.  I haven't played Neverwinter since like the 5 months after launch.  But, I recall they were hardly helpful back then.  This paladin just sounds like it's going to be the go to tank class.  As long as it's not squishy and at least close to as durable as the fighter.  I'm afraid the fighters might have to respec to dps lol.

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Originally posted by Rohn

There are those that are easily scarred by games - and will be obsessing about the same small issues 50 years from now.  But you're right, one has nothing to do with the other.  It was a weak cheap shot.

I like the differences the classes in the game have.  I'm hoping the paladin follows that trend.

Now that they have the paladin out of the way.  I can only hope for another awesome melee class (like the rogue).  Maybe an avenger?  Or something else that is melee and awesome.   What would your ideal next class be?  Also, going off my description, what class that hasn't released yet do you think fits it best.  I love melee physical and even magical.

• TheRabidsmurfTheRabidsmurf Member UncommonPosts: 146
    So.....how to get people to pay more money? How about an entirely new class with tank and healer skillsets that make current classes obselete so they have to purchase entirely new stuff! Sounds great! /uninstall
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,848
    Saw this coming a year ago.

Having played 4th edition or was common sense that balancing for a Paladin would be difficult.

And it would seem that Cryptic failed.

I guess they figured they would make up for the Ranger and Warlock being weak by making the Paladin too powerful.
  • giftedHorngiftedHorn Member UncommonPosts: 106
    Originally posted by MrMelGibson
    Originally posted by MellowTigger

I was literally thinking the same thing.  I haven't played Neverwinter since like the 5 months after launch.  But, I recall they were hardly helpful back then.  This paladin just sounds like it's going to be the go to tank class.  As long as it's not squishy and at least close to as durable as the fighter.  I'm afraid the fighters might have to respec to dps lol.

Right now, guardian fighters are useful, maybe even essential, in under-geared parties. Their problems are: too many players have outgrown the dungeon content, and the rest of end-game consists of heroic encounters and the Tiamat battle, where tanks are not needed. Helpful, but not needed.

It does seem likely that paladins will have simpler and easier-to-use tanking mechanics than GFs do. I hope that this will finally lead to some buffs for the GF class, maybe even a real DPS spec.