Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lets help the ex-massively employees!

Sargeras77Sargeras77 Member UncommonPosts: 47

Although mmorpg has and always will be my #1 mmo site, after hearing that the only other good reliable mmo news outlet (besides maybe mmobomb) is being shuttered I had the thought that we should start a crowd-funding project to try and help the ex-employees out as best we can in opening their own new site.  I'm not sure what the best crowd-funding outlet for this would be (kickstarter? indiegogo?) but I really hope that in the wake of massively's closure we can try and keep their great journalists writing the mmo articles we desire! 

Comments

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Although I'm never happy about people losing their jobs I'm not that saddened by the news that Massively is closing down. As a website I always thought that their articles where pretty shallow and not very well researched. They used "Click-bait" titles to drive views to what could only be described as tabloid style journalism at best. I do however wish the writing staff the best of luck in finding new employment elsewhere.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• April-RainApril-Rain Member UncommonPosts: 316
    MMORPG.COM and Massively are daily reading for me, it's dam sad news to see them go and the podcast was pretty good.

Playing: FFXIV
    Future: wishing for SWG 2, World of Warcraft Classic
    Played: Most current and extinct MMO's - 18 Years in....

Interesting Fact - I own 27 Tarantula's

• Elevenb4Elevenb4 Member UncommonPosts: 362
    Originally posted by Brenelael

Although I'm never happy about people losing their jobs I'm not that saddened by the news that Massively is closing down. As a website I always thought that their articles where pretty shallow and not very well researched. They used "Click-bait" titles to drive views to what could only be described as tabloid style journalism at best. I do however wish the writing staff the best of luck in finding new employment elsewhere.

Bren

This was my go-to place to get a basic idea of what was going on in the MMO world as a whole. I'm very sad they are shutting down. Been going to that site for a long time. 

Anyways, I quote your post to ask you for an alternative site that is similar to them? I've never really one anywhere else for MMO news so I've never really thought about trying others. What can you suggest?

-Unconstitutional laws aren't laws.-

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821
    Originally posted by Elevenb4

Bren

This was my go-to place to get a basic idea of what was going on in the MMO world as a whole. I'm very sad they are shutting down. Been going to that site for a long time. 

Anyways, I quote your post to ask you for an alternative site that is similar to them? I've never really one anywhere else for MMO news so I've never really thought about trying others. What can you suggest?

Ten Ton Hammer is similar in the way they write their articles. Although it's not really the style I like I can see it's appeal to others. The site itself is set up very differently than Massively is but you'll find the actual reporting is very similar in style.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130

Joystiq and Massively have been part of the secret mailing list and supporters of that Anita Sarkeesian person.

Sorry, but I am happy they got shut down.

I won't support them, nor their writers.

The reason MMORPG.COM is still around is because they hold no political views, aren't part of secret mailing lists and don't have any political agenda behind their site.

That's why I'm here and why I am not upset some unethical sites are starting to crumble left and right, time to clean house.

• Elevenb4Elevenb4 Member UncommonPosts: 362
    Originally posted by Elevenb4

Bren

Ten Ton Hammer is similar in the way they write their articles. Although it's not really the style I like I can see it's appeal to others. The site itself is set up very differently than Massively is but you'll find the actual reporting is very similar in style.

Bren

Oh nice, thanks. Didn't know they were still around. Last time I visited that site was when i used to play eq1 waaaay, 2000 maybe? , to look up stuff. I'll check them out. 

-Unconstitutional laws aren't laws.-