Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The First Year Of Landmark

NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
Video quickly showing showing what was done in the first year of Landmark.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

Comments

• Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    I'd say that's very attractive. Several players put hours of work into those buildings and honestly, I could watch another hour of participants' creations, showcased in that fashion.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by nilden
    Video quickly showing showing what was done in the first year of Landmark.

Dude NO...ahhhh

I thought this was YOUR video so i was interested,as soon as i saw that FAKE Georgeson salesman smile i was like omg no.

Coming from SOE it is nothing but a buttered up marketing video.

If it was your video i would have watched it,i turned it off after seeing Georgie.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

What they don't show you is that stuff being created first in 3rd part programs like blender...

They also don't tell that the building of cities is not supported. What was done particularly in alpha was done through exploiting the system and caused the game to crash do to 1 fps per second... 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by justmemyselfandi
    Can we kindly keep the Landmark crap in its own section? It's real easy to find, it's the one without EverQuest in its name. This section is for EverQuest Next. Thank you.

Landmark is nothing but the try out and testing grounds of EQnext....everything that happens currently in Lanmark has a direct connection to the upcomming EQnext game.  Denial is futile.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Adjuvant1
    I'd say that's very attractive. Several players put hours of work into those buildings and honestly, I could watch another hour of participants' creations, showcased in that fashion.

I could watch another hour too - the thing is the vast majority of player created content is sub par. What was shown in that video is the top 1%

There isn't enough good player crrated content to fill up an hour - the current active playerbase in Landmark is a tiny fraction of what it was at alpha launch last year.

IMO SoE should have focused Landmark on pure building and instead of introducing combat and PvE (which only drove builders away from Landmark) they should focus their development on better building tools implementation.

I actually have another thought on that. 

Sort of the "many are called but few will follow" approach.

So many gamers want to build, to be a part of the process. But it takes a LOT to plan and finish a project. And not everyone is capable of doing that.

How many mods have you read about that seemed cool only to have them never finished. Someone always posts "real life issues have made me stop ...", "the team broke up and we don't have the resources ...", "I don't have the time ..." etc.

I think people got excited over landmark but, even with its early version, didn't have what it took to complete a project. Looking at part of that video we see the few who do.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Can we kindly keep the Landmark crap in its own section? It's real easy to find, it's the one without EverQuest in its name. This section is for EverQuest Next. Thank you.

Landmark is nothing but the try out and testing grounds of EQnext....everything that happens currently in Lanmark has a direct connection to the upcomming EQnext game.  Denial is futile.

Then it wouldn't have it's own separate little section away from the real EQ stuff, would it? SOE wouldn't have dropped EverQuest from the name of the title like a hot potato, would they?

Landmark crap is ------> that way.

Heaven forbid I post this in the EverQuest Next forum. I'm sure a mod will move it if need be. I scrolled down the game list and figured EQN:Landmark would be under Everquest, didn't see it made the thread here.

OH THE HUMANITY!!!

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067

Such creativity. I do not care that Georgeson is in it or that it is an advert those people who created that thoroughly amazing content deserve accolades and I salute their creativity and we should watch it  in spite of Georgeson.

I cannot do that .I really respect people who can create they are such a boon to our society they create things sometimes no one can imagine in a moment. I don't give a flying you know that it might be the wrong forum it is totally worth the look. Thank you OP.

I also agree with DMKano that people who like to create might want to it without being harassed with combat. They might have left with the introduction of the combat.

Chamber of Chains
  • SatyrosSatyros Member UncommonPosts: 156

You fell into their deception, didn't you?

Yes, Landmark is connected. Yes, it will help build EQN.

But all it does is refine the tools for making EQN.

This is claiming that having a strong, shiny pickaxe in your hand will dig you a mine.

No! There is no mine yet. Mines take years to make, even with shiny pickaxes.

Right now, EQN is as solid as vapor.

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098

I could watch another hour too - the thing is the vast majority of player created content is sub par. What was shown in that video is the top 1%

There isn't enough good player crrated content to fill up an hour - the current active playerbase in Landmark is a tiny fraction of what it was at alpha launch last year.

IMO SoE should have focused Landmark on pure building and instead of introducing combat and PvE (which only drove builders away from Landmark) they should focus their development on better building tools implementation.

Now this would be hard to monetize, but the scatterbrain approach to Landmark is having a detrimental effect on everyone - is it a game, is it a build tool.... focus is lacking 

I don't mind the combat and stuff in it, in fact I think its good to be able to test those features and that it is an essential element for being able to build dungeons etc with mobs in them down the track.

That said, I agree with your point on lack of focus. Just say you want to build stuff in LM. You need a plot, upkeep for the plot, need to go out into the world and farm materials, and grind to craft some objects (none of which is particularly fun atm). Then, the building tools themselves are not totally intuitive, so you also have quite the learning curve to get competent at it. Imo there are too many barriers for it to become a popular building environment (plus the game is unoptimized and really hogs your CPU).

When I post on the LM forum about these issues, the answer from the community is that LM is not a building tool, its an mmo where builders are part of the community/economy. So apparently the idea is that a builder will "hire" an explorer/gatherer type player to get the stuff needed for building, and conversely adventurer types will "hire" builders to do stuff for them in exchange for materials and so forth.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610

Now this would be hard to monetize, but the scatterbrain approach to Landmark is having a detrimental effect on everyone - is it a game, is it a build tool.... focus is lacking 

Way off the mark, spending time in Landmark myself, the level of builds is mind blowing. I have watched every Twitch live stream where they give feedback and so little thats awesome makes it in the feed as they(devs own workds) need to pick the ones they show that will help players most. What to do and not do. Going to the player museums would blow your mind. Also the devs are using the winners creations as templates to build upon. Its not just the players building the world.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

It's is clear that Landmark is a testing station for EQN's systems..  If Landmark was truly a building game they wouldn't have combat features and other non-building distractions..  If Landmark was to be a building creation game they wouldn't have you running around getting mats..  ALL THE MATERIALS would be unlimited and free..  People that want to build don't want to be bothered to waste time exploring mats to build stuff.. 

I agree with some, that Landmark might be better off focusing on a central direction, then to just be tossing out sub systems willy nilly..  But it is what it is..  which is what?   Exactly..  I'm still surprised that people actually signed up to pay Sony to be a part time employee doing the work they didn't want to pay a dev to do..  /boggled..  But Kudo's to Sony, if I owned a business and could get people to pay me to work for me, I'd do it too.. lol

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Originally posted by Rydeson

It's is clear that Landmark is a testing station for EQN's systems..  If Landmark was truly a building game they wouldn't have combat features and other non-building distractions..  If Landmark was to be a building creation game they wouldn't have you running around getting mats..  ALL THE MATERIALS would be unlimited and free..  People that want to build don't want to be bothered to waste time exploring mats to build stuff.. 

I agree with some, that Landmark might be better off focusing on a central direction, then to just be tossing out sub systems willy nilly..  But it is what it is..  which is what?   Exactly..  I'm still surprised that people actually signed up to pay Sony to be a part time employee doing the work they didn't want to pay a dev to do..  /boggled..  But Kudo's to Sony, if I owned a business and could get people to pay me to work for me, I'd do it too.. lol

1st off, the blueprint you can read online has always said combat would be part of the game. In a building game making all matts just free, where is the game? Where is the community. It awesome watching people supporting each other builds. I need 10'000 stone to reach my dealine. Players donating and helping has made a very tight community. Frankly gathering is fun. The best matts are deep in caves and explorers love that side of it. Fact you wish landmark was just a building game is so one dimensional its sad. Glad you are not a dev. 

2nd, People working for free. They are doing what they love and may get to see their art live forever in a MMO. Not to mention some of the people working on the game have earned a name for themselves. I would not be socked if this got some of them jobs at the end of the line. 

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Satyros

You fell into their deception, didn't you?

Yes, Landmark is connected. Yes, it will help build EQN.

But all it does is refine the tools for making EQN.

This is claiming that having a strong, shiny pickaxe in your hand will dig you a mine.

No! There is no mine yet. Mines take years to make, even with shiny pickaxes.

Right now, EQN is as solid as vapor.

For sure, we agree, landmark is giving them the little extra money and attention needed to keep the EQN dream alive and burning...  But it will slowly turn more and more intoo a testing ground for EQN, not just the tools for creating the world, but even more the ingame mechanics that will be added slowly over time..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Reminds me of the pre alpha hype video of Landmark they did and it showed a ton of cool stuff... That actually never existed.
  • AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Originally posted by SlyLoK
    Reminds me of the pre alpha hype video of Landmark they did and it showed a ton of cool stuff... That actually never existed.

What video was that?

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

This pretty much describes Landmark as a whole.  It lacks focus as to what it should be.  The devs say it's being used for EQN, but that is extremely vague.  Landmark needs to be clearly defined.

All the builders already left, because they got tired of losing their claims, and they got tired of having to farm resources.

Landmark should've got rid of the grind, and saved that crap for EQN.  

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Originally posted by Allein

What video was that?

Are you serious? Go look it up. It was the video they released a couple SOEs ago right before announcing Early Access for Landmark. It showed and talked about a bunch of stuff that was not in the game at that point and some of it still isnt in the game. 

It is about time you take off your rose colored classes in regard to these two games. It is quite sickening.

What video was that?

Are you serious? Go look it up. It was the video they released a couple SOEs ago right before announcing Early Access for Landmark. It showed and talked about a bunch of stuff that was not in the game at that point and some of it still isnt in the game. 

It is about time you take off your rose colored classes in regard to these two games. It is quite sickening.

Nothing to do with rose colored classes, simply wondering what you are specially talking about. I've seen all the videos, but not sure which features aren't in yet that are supposed to be as in "a ton of cool stuff." Don't have time to look it up at this moment, about to go out, but we'll try to look it up later if you aren't able to point it out. You might to step back a step or to if you are being sickened by a game or fans....not that serious at all.

Edit: So I did a quick look at the videos on both the EQN and Landmark channels from before Jan 2014 and while I didn't watch or listen to them fully (again), nothing stands out as being big features that haven't made it into Landmark yet. Beyond no Elves/Kerrans that they showed with some of the time lapse shots.

Again, if you could point out what you are talking about as there should be plenty from how you said it, I'd appreciate it. Are you talking about EQN specific stuff from the reveal like the monsters, skills, classes, armor they showed off? 

Really only big thing that is missing is AI and that is coming and they've never really shown it off fully, especially not pre-Alpha.

What video was that?

Nothing to do with rose colored classes, simply wondering what you are specially talking about. I've seen all the videos, but not sure which features aren't in yet that are supposed to be as in "a tone of cool stuff." Don't have time to look it up at this moment, about to go out, but we'll try to look it up later if you aren't able to point it out. You might to step back a step or to if you are being sickened by a game or fans....not that serious at all.

Well, I have still to see this AMAZING AI in action..  It's talked about, but in all honesty it isn't in game yet..  Landmark only recently added NPC mobs to fight, and those mobs are as dumb as bricks..  Where is this amazing Storybrick AI?  If such combat AI exist, why wasn't it attached to the Landmark mobs that are nothing more then whack a mole targets? Please don't use the excuse they are "saving" this amazing AI for EQN release..

Originally posted by Nanfoodle

[mod edit] 1st Storybricks has not been added to Landmark yet that is to come sometime soon. 2nd Combat AI and Storybricks is two different systems that do very different things. [mod edit]

Actually they are using the Storybricks AI for combat and non-combat NPC actions from what they've said. Unless you've read otherwise. 

http://www.junkiesnation.com/2013/09/10/storybricks-and-soe-answer-some-questions/

Well, I have still to see this AMAZING AI in action..  It's talked about, but in all honesty it isn't in game yet..  Landmark only recently added NPC mobs to fight, and those mobs are as dumb as bricks..  Where is this amazing Storybrick AI?  If such combat AI exist, why wasn't it attached to the Landmark mobs that are nothing more then whack a mole targets? Please don't use the excuse they are "saving" this amazing AI for EQN release..

I'm assuming they want it to be as good as possible before not only revealing it, but putting it in the hands of players. They said it will be part of Landmark soon, so no saving it for EQN, although I wouldn't mind if they did.

For me, it is the make or break it feature for EQN. With how they are doing development, I wouldn't want to put the #1 feature out in a crappy state. As it has been, seems many don't grasp the whole "Work in progress" part of development and expect things to be perfect the moment they are revealed. Unfortunately, this is one feature they probably can't slap the WIP label on too early.

• KarbleKarble Member UncommonPosts: 750

At least now we know why it's taking years to start showing all the different buildings and dungeons from the Devs.

They have to go out and battle monsters and dig for basic tools to build stuff and rinse, repeat the process traveling far and wide for the materials needed.

Poor devs.... :P

Originally posted by Karble

At least now we know why it's taking years to start showing all the different buildings and dungeons from the Devs.

They have to go out and battle monsters and dig for basic tools to build stuff and rinse, repeat the process traveling far and wide for the materials needed.

I agree.. The world cities should of been completed by now.. Noticed how I said that in the plural > cities..  However, from what I"m gathering they are thinking about only having one starting location (mini city)..  That sure as hell should of been finished and completed by now..  I'm confused what they are doing here..  They talk about only one starting city, but yet want people working on multiple "cultural" buildings, but then talk about a combine look like Qeynos..

I hope we don't end up with cities like Rift started off with.. That was almost a joke..  If EQN doesn't have atleast 6 starting locations like WoW did..  FAIL, just FAIL..

• Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    Originally posted by Karble

I agree.. The world cities should of been completed by now.. Noticed how I said that in the plural > cities..  However, from what I"m gathering they are thinking about only having one starting location (mini city)..  That sure as hell should of been finished and completed by now..  I'm confused what they are doing here..  They talk about only one starting city, but yet want people working on multiple "cultural" buildings, but then talk about a combine look like Qeynos..

I hope we don't end up with cities like Rift started off with.. That was almost a joke..  If EQN doesn't have atleast 6 starting locations like WoW did..  FAIL, just FAIL..

EQ2 had 2 starting cities in vanilla and it did fine because there was more content in and around each than one person could reasonably explore before outleveling it. You "could", I guess, but by 9 or 10 you were reasonably able to run around in Antonica or Commonlands, and generally people were 7ish by the time they got out of the introductory island, unless they skipped it and went straight to city suburbs.

Also when you mention "combine", do you mean "combined style" or "style of the combine"? The combine, in lore, is the rag-tag, multi-ethnic group of, for a lack of a better term "refugees", but organized ones.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    I would not say it did fine. I was there when EQ 2 launched and many people did complain about how they made those neighbourhoods and just two cities. In fact I think one of the reasons WoW did so much better was that it had so many starter cities and choices. I am not saying WoW was a better game just that the decision to go with 2 cities was a poor one.
    Chamber of Chains