Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No flying experiment has failed in WoD

Comments

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555
    That's news to me. I enjoy it and everyone I play with thinks it was a good idea. It is very easy to get around with the flight paths and Aviana's Feather. I assume that they will eventually add flying to Draenor, but I do not see the lack of it as an issue in anyway.

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• askdabossaskdaboss Member UncommonPosts: 631

No more dragon poo on your head.

What a relief!

• HoplitesHoplites Member CommonPosts: 463
    Funny picture haha.
  • maxkill42maxkill42 Member UncommonPosts: 94

Well, I for one am just shocked....Some people like and it and some people don't...

People have their own opinions?!?!

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Maybe you should make a vote out of this, it is clearly that some people prefer the no fly zone but it is kind of hard to say how many in comparision to the ones who want it.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

lol 'lied' is very dramatic isn't it.  No flight is pretty much the only thing they done right in WOD, but many players are so locked in to the lobby mentality they will shoot down anything that doesn't offer 'exciting choices' to use their jaded mantra.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• Varex12Varex12 Member CommonPosts: 357
    Originally posted by Bladestrom

lol 'lied' is very dramatic isn't it.  No flight is pretty much the only thing they done right in WOD, but many players are so locked in to the lobby mentality they will shoot down anything that doesn't offer 'exciting choices' to use their jaded mantra.

You talk about the poster above you being "dramatic," and then in your very next sentence saying that no flight is pretty much the only thing WOD got right.  Now who's being dramatic?  

Originally posted by Varex12

You talk about the poster above you being "dramatic," and then in your very next sentence saying that no flight is pretty much the only thing WOD got right.  Now who's being dramatic?  

can't argue :)

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

I personally like it.

There was a poll some time after WoD's release whereby 80% of the people said they enjoyed the move, if I recall correctly.  It's probably increased since then with the acclimation of such.  It was on MMO-Champion and had about 150,000 votes in total if memory serves.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
    so your personal poll of a few people you know is more correct than blizzard internal market research + large polls on gaming forums like mmo champion is it?  I think blizzard would have been quick to re-introduce flying if they saw signs of discontent - they don't so they haven't.  

• tabarjacktabarjack Member UncommonPosts: 249
    I never leave my garrison except to go to Highmaul. If that's what they had in mind, sure, great implementation. If not, well... too bad.
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Originally posted by Yaevindusk

I personally like it.

There was a poll some time after WoD's release whereby 80% of the people said they enjoyed the move, if I recall correctly.  It's probably increased since then with the acclimation of such.  It was on MMO-Champion and had about 150,000 votes in total if memory serves.

Any vote on some forum doesn't reflect reality.

Put a vote at the launch of Wow where everyone can answer, and you'll see the difference.

What I'm experiencing is that everyone I know is asking for flying right now in Draenor.

A sample of over a hundred thousand people in a poll is more than sufficient to gauge reaction for those of us without a research team behind us and or Blizzard's Internal knowledge (especially considering you can participate in the poll without logging in, and therefore it's for everyone).  This poll was also done before the game launched and it was roughly 65% for no flying and 35% against no flying.  Once it was experienced and people had time to play it as opposed to just assume they do or do not want it, that raised significantly.  Most of the voting that had minor participation usually have the same results -- It's just that a site that is basically 100% dedicated to World of Warcraft managed to get an exceedingly large sample number before and long after the game launched.

Even in forums where there this is argued, the vast majority of people are for no flying in game -- at least as far as current and relevant content is concerned.  Start a discussion in general and you'll see more of the same; every argument ends with people largely enjoying this "experiment" as people are calling it here. 

Every sign -- every indication and piece of evidence points to this.  Blizzard has said themselves that the reception has been positive.  To say otherwise is personal preference, to ignore the only real sources without severe bias is turning on the only viable sources we have.

To counter your friends that don't like it, I have multiple RP guilds that I belong to as well as two dedicated to raiding and one to World PvP and rated PvP.  Every time there was a guild chat in either of these -- or talking about this -- everyone is in favor of no flying.  Not a single person has been thoroughly against.  Not.  A.  Single.  One.  Some say it would be nice sometimes.  Many mention that they would like easier ways to get to places and for Flying to eventually be added in once the new expansion comes.  Though on the whole every instances where there is a large group of people, the majority is always clear about the issue at hand.  Additionally, if they wanted something, it does not mean they're opposed to how it is right now.  You could say that everyone wants the easy way to do things at one point -- frustration that you can't reach the top of the hill on a quest and are wasting 15 minutes trying to find it.  Though once you do you're back to normal in just wanting to play the game that somehow managed to captivate you once again after ten years of playing.  For whatever reasons.  You're immersed.

Every source can be bias.  Though it's an issue of taking one's own view point and reinforcing it with "my friends" versus public sources, past arguments, and even in-game investigations that are available to all to read and participate in, even if you don't partake in it yourself.  As well as taking Blizzard for their word.

MMO-Champion's current poll is with regards to new social features like twitter integration.  Even that has 60,000 people voting on it at the moment, and a lot of gamers could care less about Twitter or facebook (not a heated discussion or topic where people care enough to weigh in).  Is the 90% of 60,000 people not even close to representing how people feel?  It is no fluke when over tens or hundreds of thousands of people overwhelmingly vote on something -- especially if it's a site that is dedicated to a game (you have to know about the game to want to go there) and requires no log in to do so.  It is an indication that another 100,000+ will reflect much of the same, whereas saying (as an example to what a truly unreliable source would be) my "five friends voted no on an obscure site where they made their own poll.  It was 100% against with five votes."   Thus why people say "we need a larger sample to be able to reasonably reflect the reality of the situation."

There is no larger sample than 100,000+ votes when most MMOs don't even sport that much players total.  And research of similar votes of satisfactory size will represent that, as well as arguments having a dominant presence of the winning sides.  Therefore it is people with personal opinions versus the only facts we or anyone can have collectively and as a whole.  I'd side with what we can see over what my guilds say (even though they reflect each other and could be used to reinforce one another), or the minor selection of people that do think the "experiment" was a failure.

Research is in part about multiple sources all indicating the same thing.  The stronger it is -- such as high numbers of participators -- the better.  The absolute strongest opinion as seen by outside sources is that people are largely happy with the change.  Is it supplemented by other research and ways to come by it?  Do most topics lean in the direction that people are okay with it?  Is it weakened by any other credible source other than one's own personal opinion?  Ultimately, it should also be regulated by Blizzard's own numbers and team.  Which we do not have access to, other than them mentioning what it is.  We just have what we have.  And people will still say "my friends don't like it" and say the only sources we do have don't matter, even if there was unrealistically 10,000,000 people who voted on in it.

Though honestly, if we were to poll every person going by the pattern we have today,  I'd say it would be along the lines of 10% wanting flying back, 30% not wanting flying back and 60% not caring either way.  Changes happen and they go with them, oft not even bothering to read the patches and yelling at people for things they don't know about in game.

Additionally... They did not lie about 6.1 and flying.  They said they were keeping an eye on the situation was were ready to implement flying in 6.1 if it was largely wanted.  What we get in 6.1 is then represented by what the people want as researched and seen by Blizzard's team.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
    yup and it's just that, your opinion. The bigger concensus seen to date directly contradicts you (and I'm not talking about this forum)

The only advantage flight gives is a fee seconds gained getting to
    Places, oh and showing off mounts (which is the real issue)

What the games gains far far outweighs this.

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993

I'm just going to add one thing...

If any of you think (or rather, hope) that flying won't be added before the end of the expansion, you are in for a harsh disapointment.

It's easy, notably using Aviana's Feather, to notice that whole Draenor was designed with flying in mind.

Well not really, there are many bits of content that would be made absolutely pointless if they added flying. They may add is later, but it will only do more harm than good. Flying in WoD would be nothing more than a convenience tool. There are no quests, mobs, islands or anything that needs people to fly in this xpac currently. Maybe in a content update if they add an island or something, but right now, as i said it would make bits of content here and there pointless. Slapping it in randomly is not a good idea

If they want an idea look at what FFXIV are planning heck look at Flyff.

Wod was not designed with flying in mind, in fact the devs said as much. The game engine however obviously supports flying so thru could switch it on with little effort. The fact that they done means the majority do like it for the moment. If the majority did not like flying then they would switch it on, the facts speak for themeselves. I think they will leave the switch on until later in the expansion to give players a 'feature' when they run out of content again.

• KrimzinKrimzin Member UncommonPosts: 687

Originally posted by Hoplites
    unlike other MMO's that age with time, this is the first that has made playing content at level cap more painful and reduced replay value.

What a shame.

[mod edit]

Just because you dont like it doesnt mean others do.

[mod edit]

Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    Best Duo Ever

Lets see your Battle Stations /r/battlestations
    Battle Station 
    I think flying will actually come back in with the new awesomeness that is ths ability to take selfies. I'm assuming the need to take selfies was desired by wow players so I have to admit I just don't have a clue about this style of MMO anymore next it will be twerking emotes I guess - weird.

I think flying will actually come back in with the new awesomeness that is ths ability to take selfies. I'm assuming the need to take selfies was desired by wow players so I have to admit I just don't have a clue about this style of MMO anymore next it will be twerking emotes I guess - weird.

Yeah that is far more immersive breaking than flying mounts.  Something weird is happening at Blizz but I am not going to speculate what that could be...but I can say that as fans of Blizz they acting very strange lately....

• noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718
    Originally posted by Loke666

Maybe you should make a vote out of this, it is clearly that some people prefer the no fly zone but it is kind of hard to say how many in comparision to the ones who want it.

Thing is, polls on gaming forums are rarely an accurate representation of the in game reality.

All I can say is that most of the people I play with, most of them never posting or even just reading a gaming forum, do NOT like the flight restrictions, and are quite pissed that Blizzard lied about restoring flight to Draenor in 6.1.

You can put me down as one of those pissed off by thr wholly artificial flight restrictions.

I/. I didn't spend time and money earning flying mounts to be reduced to crawling about on the ground

2/. And I'm especially pissed off because you think I'm stupid enough to swallow the 'Oh, we took out flying i n Draenor to make gameplay more exciting' lie when it's obvious you took out flying to try to disguise how fucking small the new territory is and that you hadn't finished modelling it on launch.

• OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517

God.. your post is sooooo irrelevant.

>.<

When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
  • Jumper2kJumper2k Member UncommonPosts: 133
    I could take it or leave it... if they add flying back in that's great, but either way I'm still having more fun in WoD than I've had playing WoW in a long time.

Currently Playing: WoW (somewhat)
    Testing: None
    Played: WoW, CoV, AL, SWG, VC, EVE, SWToR

Originally posted by noncley
    Originally posted by Loke666

Thing is, polls on gaming forums are rarely an accurate representation of the in game reality.

All I can say is that most of the people I play with, most of them never posting or even just reading a gaming forum, do NOT like the flight restrictions, and are quite pissed that Blizzard lied about restoring flight to Draenor in 6.1.

You can put me down as one of those pissed off by thr wholly artificial flight restrictions.

I/. I didn't spend time and money earning flying mounts to be reduced to crawling about on the ground

2/. And I'm especially pissed off because you think I'm stupid enough to swallow the 'Oh, we took out flying i n Draenor to make gameplay more exciting' lie when it's obvious you took out flying to try to disguise how fucking small the new territory is and that you hadn't finished modelling it on launch.

The problem is that they are taking too long to release content and the artificial gating with the removal of flying mount usage at level cap is too obvious at this point. 

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Um, I know I haven't played in a couple of months but when did Blizzard ever say they were going to add flight actually anytime soon? Link? I'm against no flight as well and honestly believe people who want no flight are only RPers. Which of course is fine, but after you get over the new car smell of WoD it just becomes tedious and no reason to stay subbed. Blizzard does need to step up their game though otherwise FFXIV will be snatching some subs when they add flight in less than 3 months
    Having flight is not going to make the game less tedious, consider how much time you actually fly outside lobbies & garrisons. It does however smear a bit of life into the virtual world.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Hoplites

unlike other MMO's that age with time, this is the first that has made playing content at level cap more painful and reduced replay value.

What a shame.

In the old days........you actually had to travel by foot/mount and you got to see the game 'world' and experience the dangers of world pvp. Any easier for you these days and Wow is just a lobbygame without any risk/effort....."buy a instant lvl 90 and sit in a city waiting for a instance popup to appear".....oh wait....that is already the case.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"