Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gamers vs Customers

NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654

Who do you think makes a better game?

A company that refers to you as a gamer or a company that refers to you as the customer?

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/

Comments

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977

Neither... I prefer to be referred to as the audience... that implies entertainment.

Customer and gamer implies a market.

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Originally posted by Pepeq

Neither... I prefer to be referred to as the audience... that implies entertainment.

That's a different topic. I already made a Entertainment vs Hobby Thread.

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • SorcerousKhanSorcerousKhan Member UncommonPosts: 164

The way I see it, either could be valid.

A company that refers to its players as gamers could experience a kinship with them - "we're all gamers in this together."

Likewise, a company that refers to its players as customers could have a mindset of customer service - "let's make sure as many people as possible have a good time."

The flipside could also be true for both viewpoints.

In the end, I think it comes down to this - does the company have a mature and rational staff, with the experience and compassion to create a good experience for as many people as they can?

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    I'd rather be called a customer or subscriber than "gamer". Using "gamer" sounds patronizing like when you're at a store and the cashier says, "Next guest please." I am not a guest, I'm a customer. I give you money in exchange for the items in my bag. If I was a guest I'd expect free soda and a conversation like when my friends come over to visit.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

It's just markettalk, I don't care either way as long as they don't call us "suckers".

I am more interested in actual customerservice, a really polite person that wont help me out if I have an issue is useless. Heck, I rather have a rude person who actually helps.'

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

In my experience the Dev teams that go the most out of their way to relate to me, as well as give me the image that they're the good guys, usually end up releasing the product I most dislike to play (wildstar being one example).

I'd prefer companies to address me as what i am, a consumer. Act like they're trying to sell me something, as they are.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Dexter2010Dexter2010 Member UncommonPosts: 244
    Gamers are treated like sheep, customers as dumb wallets.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by NorseGod

Who do you think makes a better game?

A company that refers to you as a gamer or a company that refers to you as the customer?

I don't particularly care. If a company makes a good game, i will play their game and they can refer to me as anything.

If they make a bad game, i won't play their game and again, it makes zero difference to me whatever they refer me as.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by Pepeq

Bill Gates has an audience when he speaks,,pretty good entertainment right there.

A customer makes the better game because to me customer implies someone who is diligent in their spending,critiquing the purchase.While a gamer sort of implies to me a lazy free spender,doesn't really care what he/she is buying as long as their friends are buying it or it is popular or is sold by Blizzard :P

I wonder how the popularity of those scooters made out,  I guess about as popular as Teletubbies .

ME? I am both a customer and a gamer.I want a complete game,your not selling me on your marketing or gimmicks ,quality only.

NOT one single game is worth a purchase price+sub,go figure F2P became popular you get what you pay for.When a developer actually puts in the full monty effort,they will make a killing.However cut a few corners and MR.Customer is not happy.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by DMKano

If the game is good they can refer to me whatever the hell they want - it makes no difference to me.

Who makes a better game has no bearing on what they call their customers.

Devs who actually code the game are never the ones to set the company policy what to call the players - the entire premise is absurd.

Pretty much this. /thread

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.