Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A crafting game with no guns or voxels?

sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
I'm looking for a caveman, fantasy, or post apocalyptic game with lots of crafting, PvE combat, and solo-friendly.  NOT FPS, NOT Minecraft-style, NOT top-down or 3/4 overhead, NOT pixel art.  So like A Tale In The Desert, Wurm Online, or Xsyon except with no need to team up with other players and non-shitty PvE combat.  I'd take a recommendation for a single player game of this type if there aren't any MMOs fitting the description.
I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Er, how about Skyrim?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963
    confused by people wanting this?? Why bother with an MMO, Massive multiplayer online.... Confused.
  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Er, how about Skyrim?

There's not really all that much crafting in Skyrim.  It's a pretty good game anyway; I played 300 hours of it. ;)

I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
    Originally posted by Darkcrystal
    confused by people wanting this?? Why bother with an MMO, Massive multiplayer online.... Confused.

People ask that ALL THE TIME... I'm kind of weary of explaining it.  A solo-friendly MMO is not a single-player game.  Even in the most solo-friendly MMO players interact with each other.  This kind of MMO is simply for players who prefer to interact through chat or forums, buying/selling/trading, and minigames, rather than combat or guild activities (and crafting MMOs often force guild/tribe members to share a living space and possessions, that's just a recipe for drama, and I've been burned by crazy guild members before).  I'm an introvert, and I prefer my social interaction with strangers (such as other players) to occur somewhere that isn't the main gameplay, so I can leave when I get tired of interacting with people without needing to leave the whole game, and go back when I'm in the mood to interact with people again.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Well, the crafting bit is actually the hardest thing here. Vanguard would have been perfect but itis closed down now, and it might have been less solofriendly than you like anyways.

I would go for GW2, it's crafting ain't SWGs or Vanguards but it is at least acceptable. You can solo most of the game beside the dungeons and other players can't kill steal or ninja you in the open world. There will always be other players around but if you interact or not with them is your choice.

Solo friendly games generally have a lot less focus on crafting, most MMO good crafters craft for guilds or friends, or charges other for making them stuff and that ain't very solo friendly. And in many of the games with the best crafting systems you need either many players or characters to make good stuff.

Originally posted by Loke666

Well, the crafting bit is actually the hardest thing here. Vanguard would have been perfect but itis closed down now, and it might have been less solofriendly than you like anyways.

I would go for GW2, it's crafting ain't SWGs or Vanguards but it is at least acceptable. You can solo most of the game beside the dungeons and other players can't kill steal or ninja you in the open world. There will always be other players around but if you interact or not with them is your choice.

Solo friendly games generally have a lot less focus on crafting, most MMO good crafters craft for guilds or friends, or charges other for making them stuff and that ain't very solo friendly. And in many of the games with the best crafting systems you need either many players or characters to make good stuff.

I agree that with a lot of MMOs the crafting is intended to be for other players, which makes it sadly not solo-friendly.  That was the best thing about ATITD - everyone was expected to craft for themselves (because you were mainly crafting your house, your appliances, outbuildings for your livestock...)  There was pretty much no selling crafts to others.

I tried Guild Wars before but I really didn't like the classes or worldbuilding much.  It seemed to be a particularly boring kind of medieval high fantasy, and I'm not really a fan of either high fantasy or realistic medieval settings.  Thanks for the recommendation though.

• DjevikDjevik Member UncommonPosts: 107
    Originally posted by sunandshadow
    I'm looking for a caveman, fantasy, or post apocalyptic game with lots of crafting, PvE combat, and solo-friendly.  NOT FPS, NOT Minecraft-style, NOT top-down or 3/4 overhead, NOT pixel art.  So like A Tale In The Desert, Wurm Online, or Xsyon except with no need to team up with other players and non-shitty PvE combat.  I'd take a recommendation for a single player game of this type if there aren't any MMOs fitting the description.

This game i am about to recommend doesnt have the greatest PvE.. but I have been on a couple rp servers which were kinda fun not really my thing but pretty fun..

Life is Feudal : Your own

check it out its like Wurm but a lot better IMO

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by sunandshadow

I agree that with a lot of MMOs the crafting is intended to be for other players, which makes it sadly not solo-friendly.  That was the best thing about ATITD - everyone was expected to craft for themselves (because you were mainly crafting your house, your appliances, outbuildings for your livestock...)  There was pretty much no selling crafts to others.

I tried Guild Wars before but I really didn't like the classes or worldbuilding much.  It seemed to be a particularly boring kind of medieval high fantasy, and I'm not really a fan of either high fantasy or realistic medieval settings.  Thanks for the recommendation though.

Hmm, maybe TERA then? It is less solofriendly than GW2 but have a slightly more advanced crafting system. 

Lore wise is it very hard to recommend a game to someone, what is good to one player might suck to someone else.

AoC is low fantasy but it's crafting is pretty simplistic. LOTRO might be worth a look but I don't know how good the crafting is nowadays, just played it around launch.

Everquest 2 have at least a pretty good crafting system but it is pretty grindy as well. If grinding is fine then you should give it a go but expect to make stupid stuff like loads of tin greatswords in the beginning. Once you get into it the system is better than most though. The lore is pretty much a Forgotten realms rip off.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

FFXIV

Been playing since beta and haven't done combat in over a year. I just craft, gather, gardening, work on my house, rp, play the market, train my chocobo, stock my vendors and send them out on missions. Next month I'll be racing chocobos, gambling, and playing cards. Few months from now I'll be building airships.

It's the first mmo since swg that understands the value of bringing diversity to your virtual world. Everybody around me is doing something different. But we are all together and rely on each other through all the various interdependencies.

• NuzanNuzan Member UncommonPosts: 33
    For a deep crafting system try Ryzom. Nearly all good armor and gear is crafted by players. Crafting depends on foraging material by digging them or hunting mobs. Foraging and digging can be soloed, as well as occupations for buff potions. Ryzom is sandbox, people either travel dangerous regions in strong groups or sneak through on their own. Many dedicated diggers prefer sneaking through.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

Ryzom. It has good PvE and good crafting.

There are no solo friendly games with good PvE and good crafting.

• Overlord_NeizirOverlord_Neizir Member UncommonPosts: 136
    • Ryzom
    • The Repopulation
    • ESO
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Fallen Earth then, has guns but you said post apocalyptic and most of those have firearms. Very extensive crafting, but you seem to be after primative start from nothing scenarios.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

Stranded Deep - single player early access game, have a look.

MMO wise... wait for EQ Next.

• randomtrandomt Member UncommonPosts: 1,220

Planet Explorers might be interesting to you, though the main game is single player it has multiplayer capabilities on a smaller scale..

It has some of the same type of things as EQN Landmark, like mining tunnels or building structures, also you can design and build your own guns, vehicles, boats, helicopters, airplanes.. and has a beautiful world to explore and inhabit

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Fallen Earth then, has guns but you said post apocalyptic and most of those have firearms. Very extensive crafting, but you seem to be after primative start from nothing scenarios.

My favorite game for crafting, simply because you need every single item that you make yourself.  You can't play the game without some sort of crafting focus unless you want to completely buy all of your gear from someone else.

And no gear drops is just the icing on the cake.

I like the combat particularly the ranged.  The melee is a bit meh, but useful in PvP.  Which is completely optional except in specific PvP areas.

It is a very underated game that has appeal for both casual and the moderate PvP player.  In fact it has a very good PvP community IMO.   And one of the best F2P models out there.  Absolutely no risk in trying if you haven't already.

Hard to say much bad about it except that some don't appreciate the graphics or combat AI.  I think the graphics are perfect for the game.   AI definitely could be better.

I look at it as a bucket list game.  You have to at least try it before you die. image

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
     LOTRO may fit the bill ..  great crafting lots to do with it .. good PVE Fantasy and solo friendly
  • BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    Originally posted by Scorchien
     LOTRO may fit the bill ..  great crafting lots to do with it .. good PVE Fantasy and solo friendly

I liked everything about Lotro except the crafting.   With all the loot drops I never found there was anything I could craft that was of much use to my character.

I find that is the case in many games that seem to add crafting as an afterthought.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

I have played Ryzom; I didn't like it much once you got out of the starter island.  The game doesn't have enough population to support 4 separate areas.  You can't craft anything besides gear and ammo, which is kind of boring, though the way you put ingredient types into slots is interesting.  And finding harvestable stuff in the ground is ridiculously difficult except on the starter island where it was made easier.  Glitched quests are pretty common too.

I bookmarked the marooned on an island one (deep whateveritwas) so I can try it when it's more finished.  I'll look up fallen earth next.

• NuzanNuzan Member UncommonPosts: 33

Hmmm, server population is very much higher since server merge. In my estimation player numbers increase, slowly but steadily. Well true, Ryzom is a sandbox game, questing (apart from some beginners quests) is mostly for raising faction fame. Players need to define their own goals, exploring, hunting, digging, crafting, pvp, rp. Since the game is without classes, specialization on a few of many skills is highly recommendable. Foraging and digging can be tough and frustrating at the beginning, that's for true. At higher level location of digging resources and digging material becomes a lot easier. A new player could ask experienced diggers for easy digging fields. Digging is one of those activities that are easy to learn but hard to master. Same for crafting :)