Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Massively.com is Closing, Officially

Comments

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458
    Originally posted by Burntvet

Considering what a sham so-called "Gaming journalism" is I have no sympathy.

Publishers/advertisers conspire with gaming website who offer puffed up reviews of products, to get people to buy the games. The publisher/developers then kick down cash in the form of "advertising dollars" to the sites. And writers get their piece of the pie too for writing the puff pieces, that might as well be written by the publisher's marketing staff.

And who pays for that? The consumer who bought a hyped up POS game after reading an "official review".

So, one less site shoveling the BS.

Have to agree! Wish it was otherwise but that's "business" in ever increasingly corporate-fascist Murica today. Crony-style!

• BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    Originally posted by MoreOfTheSame

That´s bad.

Team up with them, I think they were good people.

Let´s be honest this site needs a fresh design anyway. And offer a premium ad-free account FFS. I´ll pay for it, don´t worry.

I agree bring some of them over here. I liked the site but have to admit this is the site I really go to for gaming news. I hope the best for all those over at Massively.com and sad to see them go. GOOD LUCK GUYS in where ever you end up.

I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

Ugg. I love that site, and visit it daily. Now all we have is you, MMORPG.com. FML. 

Just kidding guys! You know I love ya. :)

Joined - July 2004

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904
    That really sucks...although MMORPG.com is my web home for most things MMORPG, Massively always had great reads and info that checked out.  At least there is still MMORPG.com.  /salute

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Sad to hear this... Good luck to those losing jobs due to this and may they find great success elsewhere.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

This is wrong.

• gatherisgatheris Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

quite sad

went to Massively for game news and MMORPG.COM for forum silliness

damn!

• TheRabidsmurfTheRabidsmurf Member UncommonPosts: 146
    ...so AOL is going to shut down next? On the internet blogs are eyes,ears, and. Mouth. Only thing next is becoming a simple isp, close, or sell off.
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Originally posted by Iselin
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

Joystiq is closing. And all its side blogs.

But regardless its also shows that MMO are slowly dieing as a genre of gaming.

AOL is shutting down its Apple blog TUAW

Apparently Apple is dying too image

Few years ago when this site was booming with MMO news every hour. Forums topics got pushed to second page couple of minutes after being posted due to forum activity. When we actually have a new MMO released every few months. When we had something to discuss here - except one MMO being released in maybe 2 years from now.

In that times I would probably try to argue with you. But now, its pointless.

A man from forest trying to convince a desert dweller his 2 bushes are not actual forest...

• KilraneKilrane Member UncommonPosts: 322
    This news makes me a saaad panda. 
  • PemminPemmin Member UncommonPosts: 623
    yeah sad news =(...their articles were always a good read.
  • mrneurosismrneurosis Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Originally posted by Acidon

All I can say is awesome!  I haven't been to that page of sellouts for at least a year (or whenever management changed) 

Good riddance.

Do you mind elaborating on this please? 

• tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421

I only have two MMO sites on my browser, MMORPG and Massively. To be honest I preferred Massively. The articles were more professional and the audience had almost none of the asshats that reside in MMORPG. I have kept up with Massively for over 6 years and I will REALLY miss it. Good luck to all those laid off.

Kudos to MMORPG for announcing the shutdown in the way it did. Call a spade a spade.

MMORPG - please keep on kicking. The MMO market is not dead yet.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Well, it is sad to see them go, I read their website weekly.   I wasn't a fan of their review grading of MMO's, but then again, not many review websites ever grade MMO's the way I do.  Nevertheless, there were some really good writers whose articles I really enjoyed reading.   Sad that AOL has decided to get rid of one of the few websites associated with them that I actually went to.   I do hope the writers find new homes and continue to write about the games we all enjoy and have a passion for.  
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Iselin

Joystiq is closing. And all its side blogs.

But regardless its also shows that MMO are slowly dieing as a genre of gaming.

AOL is shutting down its Apple blog TUAW

Apparently Apple is dying too image

Few years ago when this site was booming with MMO news every hour. Forums topics got pushed to second page couple of minutes after being posted due to forum activity. When we actually have a new MMO released every few months. When we had something to discuss here - except one MMO being released in maybe 2 years from now.

In that times I would probably try to argue with you. But now, its pointless.

A man from forest trying to convince a desert dweller his 2 bushes are not actual forest...

Dying or not is a discussion for some other place that I have no interest in participating in. I'll leave that to you prognostication enthusiasts who are so eager to engage in that discussion that you post it semi-randomly everywhere you think it might possibly fit.

But this is not about that. Any quick look at the news from something other than a narrow MMO gaming perspective will tell you that.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Where is MMORPG.com gonna get their unverified and many times false news articles from now?
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,013

ah, just read the entire thing. All is not lost and was essentially my thought on what they should do:

Many of you have asked us what's next. As we've been alluding, we are considering striking out as a team on a site that isn't beholden to indifferent corporate overlords. Those of you who are begging us to crowdfund might get a chance to put your money where your mouths are and help shape that idea. We'll be releasing more information over the next few weeks as we formulate our plans and will be using our social media feeds to communicate when we're ready. If we go forward, we hope you'll join us.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Originally posted by Sovrath

ah, just read the entire thing. All is not lost and was essentially my thought on what they should do:

Many of you have asked us what's next. As we've been alluding, we are considering striking out as a team on a site that isn't beholden to indifferent corporate overlords. Those of you who are begging us to crowdfund might get a chance to put your money where your mouths are and help shape that idea. We'll be releasing more information over the next few weeks as we formulate our plans and will be using our social media feeds to communicate when we're ready. If we go forward, we hope you'll join us.

I'd subscribe.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    Originally posted by BillMurphy

For those lamenting that we're a bit overdue for a redesign? Never fear. It's coming, and sooner than you think.

We may even have a teaser for you next week. 

RE: Massively? Syp (Justin) is one of my oldest gaming blogger buddies. We "came up" together from blogging. He and the rest of the staff are great, and I really wish I could just bring them all here.

Yeah, sure, you and the developers at Citadel of Sorcery, everything is coming "soon" and is going to be the most amazing thing ever.

Believe it when I see it. image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ElirionLothElirionLoth Member UncommonPosts: 308
    Originally posted by tordurbar

I only have two MMO sites on my browser, MMORPG and Massively. To be honest I preferred Massively. The articles were more professional and the audience had almost none of the asshats that reside in MMORPG. I have kept up with Massively for over 6 years and I will REALLY miss it. Good luck to all those laid off.

Kudos to MMORPG for announcing the shutdown in the way it did. Call a spade a spade.

MMORPG - please keep on kicking. The MMO market is not dead yet.

I had migrated more to Massively because you could have a discussion about a game without being overwhelmed by trolls and haters.  They existed there but seemed to be in fewer numbers than this site.  Sad to see it go.

• URMAKERURMAKER Member UncommonPosts: 671
    massively is one of the sites i visit daily...sad to hear this.

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    Oh wow, now that's unexpected. Wish I had the money to buy it and keep it going. Sucks that they're shutting down. 
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Burntvet
    Considering what a sham so-called "Gaming journalism" is I have no sympathy.Publishers/advertisers conspire with gaming website who offer puffed up reviews of products, to get people to buy the games. The publisher/developers then kick down cash in the form of "advertising dollars" to the sites. And writers get their piece of the pie too for writing the puff pieces, that might as well be written by the publisher's marketing staff.And who pays for that? The consumer who bought a hyped up POS game after reading an "official review".So, one less site shoveling the BS.

The End

• KyarraKyarra Member UncommonPosts: 789
    I knew this because I learned from the site itself yesterday ( I read the site everyday along side mmorpg.com) I will greatly miss this site, and I really hope that they can reform somehow into another site without joystiq. Massively, you will be missed :(
  • gorro187gorro187 Member UncommonPosts: 234
    Is there anything we the people can do to halt this? Who do we have to call and leave messages to. We must not let this happen!