Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Massively.com is Closing, Officially

Comments

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,081
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

Joystiq is closing. And all its side blogs.

But regardless its also shows that MMO are slowly dieing as a genre of gaming.

No it doesn't. Lmao. Nothing is "dying" except for joystiq and thus all sub-blogs. Due to really bad, out of touch decisions by out of touch people running an out of touch corporation.

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Originally posted by Valentina

Joystiq is closing. And all its side blogs. But regardless its also shows that MMO are slowly dieing as a genre of gaming.  

No it doesn't. Lmao. Nothing is "dying" except for joystiq and thus all sub-blogs. Due to really bad, out of touch decisions by out of touch people running an out of touch corporation.

Pretending like everything is just wonderful.... That's what we do in the world of gaming and the people that cry fowl... You get banned.
  • thepatriotthepatriot Member UncommonPosts: 284
    Another great site cut down by bean counters.
  • BlinkennBlinkenn Member UncommonPosts: 166
    Now where are we going to get ethical mmorpg journalism from? /s
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

AOL is shutting down its Apple blog TUAW

Apparently Apple is dying too image

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• JonBonJawaJonBonJawa Member UncommonPosts: 489
    Originally posted by Battlerock
    I believe this is indicative of more to come. I believe twitch has already peaked, games are getting shittier and more expensive and people are finding other things to do. The assault on gamers is real, your enemies are next to you and you don't even know it.

divide and conquer, just like in politics.

Rome already knew how to do it and people still don´t get it today.

• JohnP0100JohnP0100 Member UncommonPosts: 401

I agree.

The MMO genre is dying and the constant increase in 'money generated' over the past 15 years is a testament it will be dead within 12 months!

/sarcasm

It shows what PvP games are really all about, and no, it's not about more realism and immersion. It's about cowards hiding behind a screen to they can bully other defenseless players without any risk of direct retaliation like there would be if they acted like asshats in "real life". -Jean-Luc_Picard

Life itself is a game. So why shouldn't your game be ruined? - justmemyselfandi

• RyukanRyukan Member UncommonPosts: 829
    This is too bad. I haven't been to Massively in awhile, but I used to visit the site a lot. Reminds me of when Gamespy was closed down.
  • Tracho12Tracho12 Member UncommonPosts: 136
    Hate to see Massively go but I have to disagree with his take.

It's definitely a sign of the times. Not so much in regards to MMOs or gaming but in regards to corporate America.

It's eerily reminiscent of NCSOFT shutting down CoH while it was still profitable. Small gains just aren't enough for these big businesses. If they ain't raking in the dollars hands and fists, they'll shut it down and find a project that will.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

Though I don't like anyone losing their jobs and though there "could" be a silver lining in all of this (for the people at Massively) this caught my eye ...

a VP whose name I don't even know and who never read our site chose to reward our staggering, hard-won 40% year-over-year page view growth by... hacking our budget in half.

He truly doesn't know how corporate works. Not sure why as I've worked in corporate america for years and if you pay attention to quarterly reports (meetings) you learn why things like this are done.

Their slashed budget had less to do with their success and more to do with how much "more" money that slashed bit could make them.

It's not enough for publicly traded companies to make a profit. If you are making a profit but channeling your resources into other projects will make you MORE money then that's what they are going to do.

This is just how publicly traded companies work. And if anyone here has a 401k or retirement funds then look at the companies that make up the fund and you will (most likely)  find publicly traded companies that have done what was done to Massively in order to make more profit. For you.

Now, if "I" was in their shoes I would take our talent and make our own site. If they truly had 40% growth year-over-year then that means they can capitalize on their people, experience and "know how", cast off the shackles of "needing" a master and go into business for themselves.

There are investment companies who will "invest" in your company if you can show that it will make a profit. They do this for start-ups all the time. Turbine started with one of these companies.

This could be a boon if they know how to play it.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Scott_JeslisScott_Jeslis Member RarePosts: 630
    Saddens me deeply to hear! Massively was my go to site after MMORPG! You guys will be missed!!!
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Originally posted by Tracho12

It's eerily reminiscent of NCSOFT shutting down CoH while it was still profitable. Small gains just aren't enough for these big businesses. If they ain't raking in the dollars hands and fists, they'll shut it down and find a project that will.

This is a perfect example of what I'm talking about.

Large corporations will look at their resources and will want to put those resources into projects that will make them the most money.

If they were spending x dollars for City of heroes BUT those x dollars could make them double the amount, then that's what they do.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    I just started visiting massively.com regularly these  past 4 months.  I was really liking their layout better than this site's.  Hopefully mmorpg.com gets another facelift.  It really needs one. lol.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Yeah, garbage. Although this is my favorite site because of the forums, Massively was were I went to check a story. I wish them all the best and hopefully some of the talent people can pull together and make a new site. GL guys.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Hire some of their writers. They are much more professional and talented than the writers on this site. 

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Really kind of sad because i just finished reading some articles there and i usually find their work to be unbiased. and not construed by developers payments or offers.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MykellMykell Member UncommonPosts: 780
    I really hope they set out on their own and become successful which will just be a big FU to AoL. Time to bring down our overlords from their ivory towers lol. image
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by Tracho12

This is a perfect example of what I'm talking about.

Large corporations will look at their resources and will want to put those resources into projects that will make them the most money.

If they were spending x dollars for City of heroes BUT those x dollars could make them double the amount, then that's what they do.

I do understand what you're saying and I understand that through mutual funds and retirement investments, we have all been co-opted into accepting the system as reasonable and good.

But it's precisely this idea, that profitable is no longer good enough if max profits can be had elsewhere that leads to some of the most outrageous and predatory cash shop schemes in many games and MMOs.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• JohnP0100JohnP0100 Member UncommonPosts: 401
    Originally posted by Iselin

I do understand what you're saying and I understand that through mutual funds and retirement investments, we have all been co-opted into accepting the system as reasonable and good.

But it's precisely this idea, that profitable is no longer good enough if max profits can be had elsewhere that leads to some of the most outrageous and predatory cash shop schemes in many games and MMOs.

Then blame the correct party, the gamers.

It shows what PvP games are really all about, and no, it's not about more realism and immersion. It's about cowards hiding behind a screen to they can bully other defenseless players without any risk of direct retaliation like there would be if they acted like asshats in "real life". -Jean-Luc_Picard

Life itself is a game. So why shouldn't your game be ruined? - justmemyselfandi

Originally posted by JohnP0100
    Originally posted by Iselin

Then blame the correct party, the gamers.

I'm not sure how you would think that reply made sense in the context of what we were discussing

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458
    Originally posted by Acidon

All I can say is awesome!  I haven't been to that page of sellouts for at least a year (or whenever management changed) 

Good riddance.

Agree!

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796
    Originally posted by Cecropia
    Originally posted by Acidon

All I can say is awesome!  I haven't been to that page of sellouts for at least a year (or whenever management changed) 

Good riddance.

Real classy...

Hey, I feel bad for all the legit writers that now have to find other work, maybe not even in the same field.  I'm human after-all.

That doesn't change the way that Massively changed when new management took over.  Sellouts from then until the end.  That's why this site is my last hope for news on the genre.

Judge me if you want, I just see things for what they are.  And it was blatantly obvious for anyone looking.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Considering what a sham so-called "Gaming journalism" is I have no sympathy.

Publishers/advertisers conspire with gaming website who offer puffed up reviews of products, to get people to buy the games. The publisher/developers then kick down cash in the form of "advertising dollars" to the sites. And writers get their piece of the pie too for writing the puff pieces, that might as well be written by the publisher's marketing staff.

And who pays for that? The consumer who bought a hyped up POS game after reading an "official review".

So, one less site shoveling the BS.

• black_isleblack_isle Member UncommonPosts: 258

I loved Massively, i follow both mmorpg.com and massively since '08 and i always appreciated the chivalry between these sites, so kudos to you. I know the sentiment is genuine.

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458
    I religiously read that site back-in-the-day, but no longer. Have zero trust or faith in what passes for reporting now. As others have said, sell-out site. Their "editor" reahard is a worthless corporate shill (sure he'll no doubt land on his feet) happy to see him go. Good riddance
    Seen it before, once good sites that changed over time. Crap companies get control, crap people get control. Move on people, move on!