Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best MMO Game Engine In Your Opinion?

13»

Comments

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    Originally posted by Warjin
    Originally posted by Myrdynn

yep, and I still think it crushes GW2 engine, I havent played PS2, but have played every other MMO, and nothing still comes close

this is generally what happens when you build an engine with a game.  Most games are build on existing engines so there is always going to be a natural delay while the game tells the engine what to do.

WOW as far as I know is the only game built with an engine as part of the game

Holy hell Brother!, You need to play some PS2 if you like FPShooters, not only that this game set a world record for most players in a FPS battle something like 1200 players in one battle, I been in battles with hundreds and ran the game at 60+ FPS on a mid range RIG, the Forgelight engine kicks butt  and knocks teeth in fun wise if you love FPS games, give it a try man, it's pretty dam fun : )

yah I have heard its great for that.

I cant play FPS, and really I have tried other genre's but I just lose interest fast in anything that isnt midieval genre

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

There's a lot of different considerations when saying "the best"

There's looks (which are somewhat subjective), zoning requirements, number of simultaneous characters, variety of displayed models, hardware performance, network performance, culling/view depth, textures, physics, etc.

I think the FFXIV engine "looks" the best - to me. But I don't think it is the best engine, I just think it looks good. I think Source, Unreal, and CryEngine all look fantastic as well, but they aren't particularly well suited to MMOs

I would say the GW2 engine is my very subjective and uniformed pick for best overall - it's very responsive, it works on a wide variety of hardware, it looks great even on low detail/models, and it supports wide open areas and a wide variety of models with great detail, while still performing pretty well on the network.

I agree that WoW is a close second to that, and prior to GW2 would have been my top pick.

Nothing against the Turbine or Trion engines, LOTRO and Rift both are great, but I think when looking at everything all together, that I lean toward the responsiveness and performance of ArenaNet and Blizzard's product. I don't have any data to back that up - just an opinion right now.

The EQ2 engine was poor and remains so. The EQ1 engine, back in 2001 when it was revamped for Luclin, was good for it's day, it's just still stuck there and chugs even on very modern hardware. I'm not a huge fan of the Forgelight engine in PS2 - although I think it hits some of the technicalities very well (simultaneous players and landscapes in particular) - maybe EQN will change my mind on this.

But really, unless you've done programming in the various engines - it's hard to say which is the best, we're just seeing the end result and trying to speculate.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Planetside 2 / EQ Next must be the best engine right now.

Vast areas with real geographic features and zero loading / instancing. Its truly next gen.

• rertezrertez Member UncommonPosts: 230
    It's not about having a contract with NVIDIA and Intel but these companies both have dedicated support staff and clearly documented features for all game developers not like AMD. Games get optimized later after launch because AMD gives almost no support for games except the rare ones that are AMD supported titles. Sadly AMD is always late on supporting new games (or even Linux drivers) and they don't even bother helping devs that are working on new stuff. A great example was Rage back in 2011. Even Carmack blamed AMD for despite their promises the were late on supporting the new engine so Rage wasn't even playable on various AMD GPUs and CPUs at launch. If you wanna play on a budget with older games then AMD can be a great choice but if you want to experience new stuff you'll have to stick to Intel+NVIDIA.
  • ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340

Best engine?

oh wait you're talking about clients. Thread should be what's the best MMO client.

As for engines you would have no clue what goes on behind the scene in the server end and there it is far beyond this topic.

ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

All I really care about is if the engine is the right choice for the game made on it. I don't want to enter another Swtor situation.

I am most excited about the Camelot Unchained unchained engine with I believe the core netcoding is custom build on C++ language. Many other parts of the overall game will be picked and licensed to make the whole as most do. There objectives are:

• Maintain an absolute minimum of 30 FPS in battles of up to 500 people
    • Efficiently prioritize network usage so there's minimal lag on the things that matter
    • Allow extensive character customization so every player can have uniquely crafted items
    • Enable dynamic, changeable, and creative player-built structures

Evidently they have upped these targets by a lot with recent upgrades to their engine and platforms. One test had 2000 players+bots and the server lagged badly but didn't crash. I haven't heard updates specs but this likely means 1000+ players may be possible heading forward. Needed when RvR call outs occur at peak time and a entire guilds rush to defend or attack contested areas. Already the game is supporting tech not seen in any mmo yet (e.g. physics/collision on pretty much everything from players to arrows and spells and terrain.

This is all about the right engine to do the right job. An RvR game had better allow an army vs army scenario and run smoothly. Games where 100 players are the cap on screen could use an entirely different engine that is better for their own needs and likely provide even better looks. I refuse to play games any longer that have an engine that limits minimum promised features.

ESO is certainly decent if they can fix their Cyrodiil frame rate issues which they promise they can. They have some very nice options and likely haven't even turned on many allowed features for performance reasons.

I can't wait to try massive RvR though in CU some day where thousands of spells, siege and player projectiles are flying around that can each independently has collision and interact with what they hit. See a spell coming? Cast a counter spell to block it or simply dodge it. If it does hit you it is a real object in game with real interaction with you and things like your armor and protections affect it real time. A leap forward in mmo combat as far as I am concerned. I only give the most basic examples of what is planned for the system. They are using software like nvidia's PhysX and other licensed components but the core engine must handle everything smoothly without lag.

Engines can make the game and hardware is now allowing single player-like experiences in mmos.

You stay sassy!

• VelifaxVelifax Member UncommonPosts: 413

There are so many aspects to game engines that this will be very subjective but...

WoW is the best I've found, in terms of fluidity of performance/reaction.

Age of Conan is the best I've played graphically.

Eve is the most technically impressive.

E:D is the most interesting to deconstruct, until EQNext comes out.

• Felkin1Felkin1 Member UncommonPosts: 33
    CryEngine. Aion used it and the game came out gorgeous and very very responsive with fast loading times.

I'm the hardcore player, the one that rushes lvl cap before you even finish the starting area.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

I haven't tried all the engines to know what they are capable of or how well they suit MMOs. I figure Unreal will be great if limited to arena shooters. CryEngine has proven to be very good and has easy to use tools but a bit low of the number of on screen characters. ForgeLight is pretty amazing too but has a lot to do with how SOE has it optimized. Unity isn't a big contender yet but its growing fast. Hero isn't bad really, just needs a lot of extra work in place of spending a lot more on the better tools.

• MellowTiggerMellowTigger Member UncommonPosts: 84

Whatever engine is used by Dungeons & Dragons Online, it offers features that I haven't encountered elsewhere.  Attacks that work at line-of-sight (arrows, ray spells) can be blocked by a shield.  A well-placed character can shield everyone behind them.  You can climb up and down ladders.  You can swim... and drown.  Characters have lots of disability states, and they can be used tactically to win combat (such as blinding an archer who you can't quickly reach).  Entering areas can trigger narration, which is useful for immersion.

It badly needs a graphics update.  Graphics were uninspiring even when it was new (a decade ago?), and it would be nice if networking could be improved to allow more people per team/instance without significant lagging.

But its the physics that shine.  I've never played a game so... tactically, since DDO.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by GoldenJug
    CryEngine. Aion used it and the game came out gorgeous and very very responsive with fast loading times.

Aion used nice colors but was not a high poly game it was low poly therefor no load on the game engine what so ever.

The BEST looking mmorpg right now is imo FFXIV.I brought this up for a reason not to start any argument over best looking game.

I think by now most know what Square Enix went through almost losing their shirt trying to make the Crystal Engine work.They finally gave up and scurried to create a new Luminous Engine.The results are seein FFXIV a gorgeous game that also runs VERY well,i know because my old PC had no business running the game and ran it ok around 28 frames per sec.

The Forgelight engine mentioned earlier has and still strangles my older PC.Unity engine a terrible hog.

Anyhow back to my point lol....

Square Enix with their gorgeous new Luminous Engine they spent millions  and almost cost the company have still gone out and purchased several Unreal4 licenses.Before that they also licensed Unreal 3 several times as well.

Point being if a developer who spends their own money and tries to reach the pinnacle still goes out and licenses from Epic,you know the Unreal engine is solid.

Unreal4

This is the same guy testing another great engine the CRY3

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130

I like the engine of The Division.

• KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    Originally posted by Quizzical
    The best engine for an MMO--or any other sort of game--is the one that is custom built for that particular game.

No one builds a custom engine for a premium game anymore, that's a massive waste of money. Even games you think have a custom engine are using libraries that came from other engines.

There's no point in reinventing the wheel a million times over.

Game engines aren't made by starting from scratch, ever. All companies have libraries that handle lighting, material, physics, etc, no one starts from scratch anymore.

I remember an article from PCGameplay magazine from the 90s, they asked the developer if the engine was from scratch. He laughed and he said, "Nothing is built from scratch, we use resources we built up over the years and share code between our products".

That was in the 90s, even then, large companies didn't build custom engines anymore.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

show me an engine that can actually handle 2k players infight, and i will promote it best engine :)

no idea why everyone does a mmo engine that goes dowm as soon as more than 50 players are on screen.

otherwise, wow is running best so far. smoothest engine.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    Originally posted by Dren_Utogi
    The other problem I have with gw2 , it run like crap on my AMD computer. :/

My computer has an AMD Phenom II series and GW2 runs just fine. Maybe time to upgrade!

<3

• SaluteSalute Member UncommonPosts: 795
    Imho GW2 & FFXIV have the top engines. In my mid rig pc, i can play them in ultra very easily and even when there are many ppl around they always perform really  great.

All Time Favorites: EQ1, WoW, EvE, GW1
    Playing Now: WoW, ESO, GW2

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

to this date, no game has matched the responsiveness of the WOW engine.  Its hands down the best of any MMO I have played 

My no1 game is Wow and could agree but I see at least at par also Gw2. Both have great graphics on it's own, buth great. In both incredible responsivenes, fluidness, ... Unfort Gw2 as game (not engine) does not appeal anymore to me, hope still will return to play some day, but in last months just happened to me to login just to logout after minutes. I'm also very happy with my 2nd of my best games, Swtor. Also great response times but have problems in crowded areas (no problem there with wow and gw2).

• VelifaxVelifax Member UncommonPosts: 413
    Originally posted by MellowTigger

Whatever engine is used by Dungeons & Dragons Online, it offers features that I haven't encountered elsewhere.  Attacks that work at line-of-sight (arrows, ray spells) can be blocked by a shield.  A well-placed character can shield everyone behind them.  You can climb up and down ladders.  You can swim... and drown.  Characters have lots of disability states, and they can be used tactically to win combat (such as blinding an archer who you can't quickly reach).  Entering areas can trigger narration, which is useful for immersion.

It badly needs a graphics update.  Graphics were uninspiring even when it was new (a decade ago?), and it would be nice if networking could be improved to allow more people per team/instance without significant lagging.

But its the physics that shine.  I've never played a game so... tactically, since DDO.

That fits with my regrettably brief experience several years ago. I left extremely impressed with the physics and combat mechanics. At that time the graphics were top notch.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

yep, and I still think it crushes GW2 engine, I havent played PS2, but have played every other MMO, and nothing still comes close

this is generally what happens when you build an engine with a game.  Most games are build on existing engines so there is always going to be a natural delay while the game tells the engine what to do.

WOW as far as I know is the only game built with an engine as part of the game

If you say that you have to take the quality of the graphics into this discussion as well.

Where WoW often has been loathed for their crude cartoony graphicsalready at Launch and for example GW2 runs perfect with much more quality in theirs.

And before people start with the fact that WoW is 10y old, There were already MMos out there Live with way better graphics.

So if people want to rate the MMO engines from past and present, they should all rate -playability+graphics-.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Planetside 2 hands down. I't's not even close.

ESO has a great engine too. Great graphics and high fps. There server tech sucks though...

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"