Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why I went back to Skyrim - MMO's are lacking.

bmw66bmw66 Member UncommonPosts: 141

Its just seems lately the currently released MMO market is just lacking something to keep a hold of my interest.  Nothing is just as fresh and exciting as it was 10 yrs ago.

I just unsubbed from WOW for the 3rd and final time.  Treadmill is a treadmill.

The only thing right now I play is Skyrim.  Great game, great playability, good mods.  

Hopefully the MMO market changes but nothing out there is really "that" good at the moment.

Comments

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Wow v skyrim, lobbies and jaded grumpy communities with a floodery of legendary glowing fairy wings versus a gritty open world - tough call :p

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

The problem is that things I like about the single player experience in Skyrim are not the same things I enjoy about MMOs, particularly because of the human need to be an ass hat on the internet. Full loot, the ability to kill whoever are great for a single player game, hell even co-op. But as soon as you introduce the masses griefing happens. I don't have the time or desire to constantly have to deal with kiddies looking for youtube laughs or pvp guilds dedicated to making it rough for everyone else.

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Originally posted by SuperDonk

The problem is that things I like about the single player experience in Skyrim are not the same things I enjoy about MMOs, particularly because of the human need to be an ass hat on the internet. Full loot, the ability to kill whoever are great for a single player game, hell even co-op. But as soon as you introduce the masses griefing happens. I don't have the time or desire to constantly have to deal with kiddies looking for youtube laughs or pvp guilds dedicated to making it rough for everyone else.

you nailed it...completely agree.  Elder Scrolls games were built for solo play.  They would not translate well at all to MMO.  

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Skyrim is a terrific game but something about having other players running around and , yes, sometimes acting like idiots is necessary for me to enjoy a game.   I always feel so lonely in Skyrim. I love having other players running around and just chatting, maybe occasionally grouping for something. Years ago I remember playing Oblivion and logging in and spending a minute or so looking for the chat channel before I realized what I was doing. I suppose I just need other people around me in my game. 
  • BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    Originally posted by Rhoklaw
    Originally posted by bmw66

Its just seems lately the currently released MMO market is just lacking something to keep a hold of my interest.  Nothing is just as fresh and exciting as it was 10 yrs ago.

The only thing right now I play is Skyrim.  Great game, great playability, good mods.  

Hopefully the MMO market changes but nothing out there is really "that" good at the moment.

I play Skyrim, ME: Shadows of Mordor and a few other single player games as well. I also think the MMO market has become a hot mess of MMO's slapped together with one thing in mind, money grab. The MMO market won't see a true MMO until a gaming company decides that making millions vs. thousands isn't more important than making a great game. Unless those millions made is partially reinvested back into the game. WoW is a great example of a company that makes a killing, yet only manages an expansion once every 2 years which in all honesty, doesn't add up to what you would expect from a billion dollar company.

So, until we see a gaming company that cares about making their game great and keeping it that way, than no, the market will remain the same. Greed is a powerful thing and humans love having buttloads of money. I think Minecraft was probably the closest thing to breaking that barrier since UO and EQ launched.

Yea and they should throw in a free puppy dog and 2 free tickets to the Super Bowl, with every game that they give away for free.

Greedy bastards!

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• snoopehsnoopeh Member UncommonPosts: 40
    Originally posted by Boneserino

I play Skyrim, ME: Shadows of Mordor and a few other single player games as well. I also think the MMO market has become a hot mess of MMO's slapped together with one thing in mind, money grab. The MMO market won't see a true MMO until a gaming company decides that making millions vs. thousands isn't more important than making a great game. Unless those millions made is partially reinvested back into the game. WoW is a great example of a company that makes a killing, yet only manages an expansion once every 2 years which in all honesty, doesn't add up to what you would expect from a billion dollar company.

So, until we see a gaming company that cares about making their game great and keeping it that way, than no, the market will remain the same. Greed is a powerful thing and humans love having buttloads of money. I think Minecraft was probably the closest thing to breaking that barrier since UO and EQ launched.

Yea and they should throw in a free puppy dog and 2 free tickets to the Super Bowl, with every game that they give away for free.

Greedy bastards!

Completely not what I was saying. When gaming companies make millions and in return their execs pay themselves 6 figure salaries, you have what most gamers like to refer to as a "suit mentality" behind game philosophy. Sorry, but business majors don't know crap about making an MMO. They only know how to analyze a market and copy / paste what looks profitable. My point was, the gaming market has been tainted by men in suits, thus not allowing geeks and nerds who enjoy making a true MMO game to have a piece of the pie due to dirty marketing tactics.

Capiche?

You got it bang on my friend, this is why we are bombarded with games such as Clash of Clans and Boom Beach (which i believe are just clones of eachother with slightly different environment). Gaming Execs just want to pump out cash cows, maximum profit for minimum effort.

Greedy bastards!

Completely not what I was saying. When gaming companies make millions and in return their execs pay themselves 6 figure salaries, you have what most gamers like to refer to as a "suit mentality" behind game philosophy. Sorry, but business majors don't know crap about making an MMO. They only know how to analyze a market and copy / paste what looks profitable. My point was, the gaming market has been tainted by men in suits, thus not allowing geeks and nerds who enjoy making a true MMO game to have a piece of the pie due to dirty marketing tactics.

Capiche?

Oh I Capiche.

So how does your multimillion  dollar dream game get made if the suits don't make it?

Oh I know!!!  Warren Buffett will suddenly donate all his billions to Curt Schilling, who will once again rise from the ashes to create the gamers dream game!!  

Capiche or not, not understanding how the world works does nothing for the discussion.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Multi million pound games can be made and have good profit, excessive greedy tactics where profit is > all may be how the world is getting fecked up by greedy dull witted corporations who stifle creativity to be 'risk adverse' but I for one certainly don't think that's ok - ddo you?

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

Greedy bastards!

Capiche?

Same as MMO players tend to know crap about business. The problem arises because one of the groups is the group that manages to have the money. You need money to make games.

Greedy bastards!

Capiche?

Oh I Capiche.

So how does your multimillion  dollar dream game get made if the suits don't make it?

Oh I know!!!  Warren Buffett will suddenly donate all his billions to Curt Schilling, who will once again rise from the ashes to create the gamers dream game!!  

Capiche or not, not understanding how the world works does nothing for the discussion.

Maybe you should reread my original post where I mention Minecraft, which was made by how many people? One was it? Was he a business major? Nope, a programmer. Sorry my friend. It is possible to create a dream with little to no money. It just takes a little blood, sweat and tears and the heart of a lion, but it can be done. So with that being said. Why is it these gaming companies that do have access to talent and finances still manage to put out some of the most worthless crap over and over? Because it's being managed by suits and designed by monkeys.

Exactly the point.  When it comes to millions of dollars of financing, who do you expect to show up?   The guy at the hot dog stand on the corner with the brilliant idea for a game?

Minecraft is a game I would liken to EVE.  Its one of those abberations, that succeeds despite what looks like having the odds stacked against it.   I personally could not not play it.  I can't even stand to look at it.   But millions of others can, so what can I say.

But successes like those are few and far between.    Sometimes things just work out and nobody knows why.  Lots of people have tried to copy Minecrafts blueprint and have had limited success.  Lets face it, if it was that easy we would all be making great games.

In any case,  I think people need to be more supportive of the indies.  We all too easily dismiss them, when in reality, they are the ones doing exactly as you advise.  Taking big risks, with only the hope of creating the game they would like to play.

Think about it next time you complain about graphics or animations in an indie game.   It will take a good indie concept game to convince the suits that this might be a good place to spend some of their millions.   Hopefully they will let the game be made without interference.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Maybe you should reread my original post where I mention Minecraft, which was made by how many people? One was it? Was he a business major? Nope, a programmer. Sorry my friend. It is possible to create a dream with little to no money. It just takes a little blood, sweat and tears and the heart of a lion, but it can be done. So with that being said. Why is it these gaming companies that do have access to talent and finances still manage to put out some of the most worthless crap over and over? Because it's being managed by suits and designed by monkeys.

Define crap? Can you do that fairly as well as logically without a injected personal perspective?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• vandal5627vandal5627 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by Distopia

Define crap? Can you do that fairly as well as logically without a injected personal perspective?

Right on!!!!  All these BS arm chair developers calling things crap because it's not to their liking is getting old.

• snoopehsnoopeh Member UncommonPosts: 40
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
    Multi million pound games can be made and have good profit, excessive greedy tactics where profit is > all may be how the world is getting fecked up by greedy dull witted corporations who stifle creativity to be 'risk adverse' but I for one certainly don't think that's ok - ddo you?

no sir i do not, unfortunately this is happening more and more. Companies see the money made off these cashgrab games and "Think yea lets make on of those and rake in millions" wasting the talents of some great game designers/developers and flooding the market with garbage.

• Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335

Oh I Capiche.

When the next truly great game is developed, it will most likely be by an indie working with a shoestring budget and true passion. The reward will be a large player base willing to pay for the experience. Path of Exile is a good example, even if it is targeting the Diablo genre and not the MMO genre.

The key is, passion, innovation and a mentality that builds the game for gamers will come first, monetization will come second. The current crop of games place all their priority on monetization, with gameplay coming in a distant second. It shows, and is glaringly obvious in many games.

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

To me Wow is the anti mmorpg and probably why you keep getting frustrated,because you want something that  plays more into the MMO and the RPG aspects.

Ask yourself WHY you joined Wow in the first place?Did you just jump on the popularity bandwagon,your a Blizzard fan?Did you do any homework before joining Wow?

Then ask why you struggle to leave it for good?Afraid to let go of all that work you put into into it?You see if you answer yes to most of these you are playing a game you don't really like.

It is funny too because the other day ,watching Athene streaming Hearthstone another WEAK Blizzard design,he said something,he said the game was the most popular to stream always has a lot of viewers.So perhaps he was playing out of popularity and not because it was his favorite game to play.

I am not playing any mmorpg right now because NONE of them are MMO+RPG designs,usually a lot of nonsense like dungeon repeating for loot or some mini games that have nothing at all to do with RP or the game's lore.

We have seen some VERY shallow attempts to make it seem  right like that Blizzard Pandarin idea that seemed lie nothing more than a MOVIE catch.Then they claimed oh but  but we had them in our game long ago.Ya and they never continued to have them or even cared about them until the movies came along.How about GW2 and the Marioland map,wtf are you serious?

It is really too bad we are seeing so many shallow game designs and gimmicks followed by more money spent on advertising than the game.EVERY where i went i was seeing Heroes of the Storm advertised ,like every where.It's a MOBA prolly cost them 50 k to make and 50 million in advertising.How about that cheap browser game that again cost  likely a few k and they spent 40-50 million in advertising for that movie star,i think was Kate Upton.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

I define crap in the MMO genre as repetitive or extreme lacking in innovation. You've seen the "clone" term being thrown around a lot as of late and for good reason. Most new MMO's are not innovative, but simply rehashed older MMO's with a new skin and if we're lucky, an engaging story.

Apparently it doesn't take much to produce an MMO anymore except for a huge financial investment, except Minecraft proved that wrong. So my question is this. Why not actually try to create something for the long run instead of spending hundreds of millions on a game only to put it on life support 1-2 years later.

The reason I see a lot of "crap" on the market is because "suits" don't have a heart. They only see $$$ and therefor passion is not one of their strong suits, no pun intended. I actually believe Raph Koster and Brad McQuaid are true visionaries passionate in their industry. Despite Brad's inability to manage a project without fucking it up, he still has passion which to me means more than a successful launch of a game like ArcheAge which turns out, is more fucked up than Vanguard: SoH ever was.

When creating a product, you can one of two ways. You can think like a greedy businessman who cares nothing of reputation or customer satisfaction OR you can create a quality product and provide great customer support because you believe in your product.

When I worked for Best Buy as a sales rep in the computer section, I was told I "HAD" to push their service protection program on potential electronic buyers. I ended up quitting because I don't believe in that practice. If your product is good enough, word of mouth and reputation will speak for itself.

So, that is how I view today's MMO market. A giant cesspool of AAA gaming companies with all kinds of finances and talent at their fingertips, wasted on developing games with the projection of 1-2 year longevity, aka crap. Try making a game that people will want to keep playing, such as EQ or WoW which have 10-15 years under their belt. Make more games like that, but don't do it in a way that simply copies and pastes their ideas. Be creative and fun. Put some friggin passion into your development and stop lying through your teeth about your product and create unwanted hype.

So Vandal was essentially correct (not to your liking = crap). What constitutes being a clone? That term has never had much meaning to me, as I've rarely seen two MMO's that were clones of each other or WOW (allods?). People label everything a WOW clone, doesn't matter what the point/focus of the game is. All it needs is a questing focus and it is given the label. The MMO scene is one of the only places you'll find such shallow thinking in gaming. Every genre has staples.... That's what people view as cloning (using similar systems) or lack of innovation... Which people don't even seem to understand the meaning of that word...

Using this logic Total War is a Civilization clone... it has no innovation it's just biting their formula. You spend the most time in both games managing a world map.

1-2 years, what MMO has only ran (received updates and content) for that long? Hell AOC is still going, and they've always been under performing in terms of active players, even F2P really didn't help that.

People need to realize they're simply not going to like every MMO game, that doesn't mean a genre "has went to nothing but crap"...  I'd also say if you don't like Themeparks, sorry, you lost out. Sandboxes didn't win the focus of studios. But hey you're in luck, looks like they want to go that route for a bit.

Now if you want to argue about Market Saturation, that i can get behind, even the industry apparently has. Anyway, these companies aren't dropping hundreds of millions into these games to make crap. Not when making actual crap shovelware costs significantly less.

Doesn't take that much to produce an MMO? HAHAH.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

I define crap in the MMO genre as repetitive or extreme lacking in innovation. You've seen the "clone" term being thrown around a lot as of late and for good reason. Most new MMO's are not innovative, but simply rehashed older MMO's with a new skin and if we're lucky, an engaging story.

Apparently it doesn't take much to produce an MMO anymore except for a huge financial investment, except Minecraft proved that wrong. So my question is this. Why not actually try to create something for the long run instead of spending hundreds of millions on a game only to put it on life support 1-2 years later.

The reason I see a lot of "crap" on the market is because "suits" don't have a heart. They only see $$$ and therefor passion is not one of their strong suits, no pun intended. I actually believe Raph Koster and Brad McQuaid are true visionaries passionate in their industry. Despite Brad's inability to manage a project without fucking it up, he still has passion which to me means more than a successful launch of a game like ArcheAge which turns out, is more fucked up than Vanguard: SoH ever was.

When creating a product, you can one of two ways. You can think like a greedy businessman who cares nothing of reputation or customer satisfaction OR you can create a quality product and provide great customer support because you believe in your product.

When I worked for Best Buy as a sales rep in the computer section, I was told I "HAD" to push their service protection program on potential electronic buyers. I ended up quitting because I don't believe in that practice. If your product is good enough, word of mouth and reputation will speak for itself.

So, that is how I view today's MMO market. A giant cesspool of AAA gaming companies with all kinds of finances and talent at their fingertips, wasted on developing games with the projection of 1-2 year longevity, aka crap. Try making a game that people will want to keep playing, such as EQ or WoW which have 10-15 years under their belt. Make more games like that, but don't do it in a way that simply copies and pastes their ideas. Be creative and fun. Put some friggin passion into your development and stop lying through your teeth about your product and create unwanted hype.

Boy was I right.  All I see is I this and I that.  Get over  yourself.  lol  Armchair developing at it's finest.

Originally posted by Wizardry

To me Wow is the anti mmorpg and probably why you keep getting frustrated,because you want something that  plays more into the MMO and the RPG aspects.

Ask yourself WHY you joined Wow in the first place?Did you just jump on the popularity bandwagon,your a Blizzard fan?Did you do any homework before joining Wow?

Then ask why you struggle to leave it for good?Afraid to let go of all that work you put into into it?You see if you answer yes to most of these you are playing a game you don't really like.

It is funny too because the other day ,watching Athene streaming Hearthstone another WEAK Blizzard design,he said something,he said the game was the most popular to stream always has a lot of viewers.So perhaps he was playing out of popularity and not because it was his favorite game to play.

I am not playing any mmorpg right now because NONE of them are MMO+RPG designs,usually a lot of nonsense like dungeon repeating for loot or some mini games that have nothing at all to do with RP or the game's lore.

We have seen some VERY shallow attempts to make it seem  right like that Blizzard Pandarin idea that seemed lie nothing more than a MOVIE catch.Then they claimed oh but  but we had them in our game long ago.Ya and they never continued to have them or even cared about them until the movies came along.How about GW2 and the Marioland map,wtf are you serious?

It is really too bad we are seeing so many shallow game designs and gimmicks followed by more money spent on advertising than the game.EVERY where i went i was seeing Heroes of the Storm advertised ,like every where.It's a MOBA prolly cost them 50 k to make and 50 million in advertising.How about that cheap browser game that again cost  likely a few k and they spent 40-50 million in advertising for that movie star,i think was Kate Upton.

Some more BS I don't like it so it's not an MMORPG.  Too funny.  lol

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Distopia Originally posted by Rhoklaw  

Boy you could not be any more vague than that.
    Your basically asking devs to pull some magical game out of their assess which makes you feel all tingly. That's all fine and good. But please spare us the tantrums when the inevitable occurs.
  • daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

Especially last years I'm pretty busy so I started to love more and more solo friendly MMO games. To be honest if Sykrim would be even remotely so good as Wow or Swtor would play it. But regular RPG games are light years from quality of top MMO games, hate games that enforce WASD instead using much better way of moving characters by pressing both mouse buttons, then for me game must be 3rd person, .... etc. I can't find any good RPG that fits this criteria.