Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW1 still alive?

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
Thinking about redownloading it. Been bored, and want something to play, and mess around with builds as I wait for the GW2 expansion reveal later this month.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316

Yes it is, although it doesn't have the population it used to. People are still playing Pre-Searing and you can probably find the largest group of players in Kamaden.

I've started playing Guild Wars again and there are always people playing in Pre-Searing. My character hasn't gone to post yet but I would imagine it's the same.

From what I understand pugging is dead but you can get into a guild and progress through content with guildies. They upped the number of heroes you can have to 7 so you can have a full party without needing anyone for most of the content anyway.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Just picked it up myself and rerolled for the original core game. I'm still in and around Ascalon and it's overly active. Not sure if this is because it's a starter area or that the game has pretty low population. I do enjoy playing the game though and I hope I can finally start to fill my Hall of Monuments (never really worked for that).

I am worried though how long the servers will be online. With the last year's revenue numbers being shown, I fear that sooner or later GW1 will be pulled completely...

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

If you want to play GW1, you can easily do it. It doesn't matter how many other people play as you can do everything by yourself with heroes. It's sometimes more fun as it's all up to you to figure out how to beat the different missions.

I logged into the game a few weeks ago to open my 1 billion anniversary present and just for lolz. I saw only 6 people in Kamadan which to me means that the game has a very low population at the moment.

Again you don't need to rely on other people to enjoy the game. This game is quite fun even solo because unlike 99.99% of MMOs it actually requires skill to beat the mission.

HOwever, if you are expecting to be doing tons of missions with others and to enjoy its amazing PvP system, I think you're a bit too late to the party.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• Calintz333Calintz333 Member UncommonPosts: 1,193

A population comparison for you. 

In 2010 I played GW2 almost exclusively for a year. I would log in every day and see roughly 4-6 channels full in Kamadan (The most populous area in the game). I stopped playing GW1 around 2011, and have recently decided to come back to the game. 

This week I've been logging on every day, peak times it looks like Kamadan gets 1 2/3 or so channels. So you have Channel 1 that still gets full sometimes, and Channel 2 that is sometimes quite populated as well. 

If I had to guesstimate, I would say that there are at least 400-500 people online during peak times every day. Non peak times it can be tough to find folks, but other than that I haven't had trouble finding players in any of the three capital cities during peak times. 

Lions Arch has about 8-15 people on during peak times. 

Kaineng Center you are looking at about 8-15 people during peak times as well. 

There are people playing, you just won't be running into folks in random hubs around Tyria like you used to. It has become a very solo, or duo experience. 

• monster8memonster8me Member UncommonPosts: 27
    still my favorite game along with fallout 3 wish they would have continued to develop content for it im still playing it off and on just something about it that no other game captures for me.
  • Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177
    Its still wayyy better than GW2.. but if you want to PVP than get ready to fight the same people in RA over and over again.. so yeah its pretty much dead. I still play it, but its frustrating for people to join waiting sometimes.

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA