Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: 5 Things MMOs Could Learn from Sword Art Online

1235»

Comments

• lifesbrinklifesbrink Member UncommonPosts: 553

Most people on here have covered most of the bullet points pretty well, but I want to add to it for the social aspect of SAO and why we can not have that in MMO's.

Virtual characters are fine as is now for what we see in MMO's, but to employ the very need for greater socializing, we need to have ourselves IN a virtual world. Logging into a game is one thing, but when you are mentally inside of it, with most of the sense intact, things change.  That is why these shows tend to have a different social environment, because people can talk, feel, hear others, smell and so on. It change our perception of reality.

This is the heart of why many people are feeling so apathetic about the worlds they log into. Because there is no real socialization, for one, but also because they really are not part of these worlds. Their character might be, but their character is just a bunch of pixels, animated.

In essence, SAO is nothing more than a fantasy for what we can imagine right now. But someday, when we have at least semi-real worlds we can "dive" into, things will change a lot.  Until then, we are stuck with the never-ending WoW clones.

My blog is a continuing story of what MMO's should be like.

• SebialeSebiale Member Posts: 4
    I like some of the concepts, but Log Horizon offers betterrexamples of pretty much all of those ideas.
  • shahrultarmizi1312shahrultarmizi1312 Member CommonPosts: 3

ignoring the talk about virtual reality,
    all i want is a new mmorpg with no classes, with character development similar to SAO that after we leveled up, we will have points to increase str, int, dex, or agi.
    then that game should have large maps with open pvp and world boss. job class just like Log Horizon, player shops, hard mode dungeons. maybe devs should make a mmorpg that combine sao and log horizon, but no classes and more dungeons? idk sorry for my bad english
  • LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    I'd really love to see a step away from Auction Houses or having a map filled with Player-run NPCs selling all their stuffs. I'd like to see Crafters (Players) have their own houses they can turn into stores, and put their wares on display. Sure you can hire an NPC to attend to your shop as you can't expect the player to be constantly there, but it would still be a player-run shop. As for players who just want to sell the shiny new sword they just dropped but don't need, well they can just sell it to a player-run shop and that player will take care of selling it.
    You would have liked UO. Player run forges, shops, malls, even entire villages (ex: Pax Lair, Kinship, Necropolis, Orc Fort)
    -- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    Maquiame said:
    Thank you so much for writing this. I think SAO and Log Horizon should be required watching for ANY mmo developer!
    It's useless to any western developer for two very important reasons.

1) Dying in real life is a complete game changer. No, permadeath and permaban are nothing at all like dying in real life. 

2) It is based on how a particular culture plays these games. Westerners play far more opportunistically and less co-operatively, especially outside of guild or immediate party.

A real life example of this is Wizardry Online, a game that is very similar to SAO. It had died inside of a year in the NA/EU market, but is still actively played and updated in Japan after three and a half years. The same game in both markets, just played very differently. 

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?