Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EvE might be the game all you sandboxers are looking for...

muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

It's really fun.

Comments

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

In many ways, it is.

No other game can get close to EVE's player-driven economy, let alone match it. Few games can provide the extensive opportunities for emergent game play  (good and bad) that EVE's massive game world allows.

I believe that that's the main reason why EVE has thrived for as long as it has.

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Thrived or survived?  There is a reason it seems 3 out of 4 people that try do not last long in the game.
  • itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    it's the gold standard of sandbox games for sure (as i would argue ff14 now is for themeparks).  but that never stops people from looking for the new gold standard.  It's human nature to wanna try to find something even better than what you have.  but I will happily admit, for a game to unseat eve as the pinnacle of sandbox it's going to be tough.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,295

EVE is a great game (10 year veteran :-), but its not for everyone. The lack of an avatar to walk around with, the inherent PvP nature of EVE and the heavy penalty for f..ing up (I could lose ALL items i gathered in 10 years in one accident, if I put them all in one freighter and get killed) and the heavy meta-gaming aspects are  keeping many gamers away from EVE.

Have fun

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,324

Everyone has heard of EVE and every sandbox lovers has also heard about the it, so why this thread?

Not everyone enjoys space games no matter how much sandbox feature it has, If someone made EVEish fantasy sandbox game then I'll bet alot of sandbox players would flock to that game.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

and that is NO JOKE :)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

Originally posted by Maurgrim
    Everyone has heard of EVE and every sandbox lovers has also heard about the it, so why this thread?Not everyone enjoys space games no matter how much sandbox feature it has, If someone made EVEish fantasy sandbox game then I'll bet alot of sandbox players would flock to that game.

that's one of the biggest complaints I hear. "it's space, I don't like space." which can be understood. however I was one of those people. once you get beyond the space aspect. you start to realize how deep the game is.

• xeniarxeniar Member UncommonPosts: 805
    Originally posted by muffins89

Originally posted by Maurgrim
    Everyone has heard of EVE and every sandbox lovers has also heard about the it, so why this thread?

Not everyone enjoys space games no matter how much sandbox feature it has, If someone made EVEish fantasy sandbox game then I'll bet alot of sandbox players would flock to that game.

that's one of the biggest complaints I hear. "it's space, I don't like space." which can be understood. however I was one of those people. once you get beyond the space aspect. you start to realize how deep the game is.

how do you get beyond the space aspect while it still is a space game?

i have played it and its good but need alot of time for it and i rather have a high fantasy version.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

It may freedom SORT of ,Sandbox it is not because it offers so very little sand and so very choice to choose from.

First of all FORCED alliance to do certain zones would sound ok in a PVE game doing a boss,but it is not ok if just farming.However even said what farming?Mine ?

Ships and animation and effects are very low end,so where is the eye candy or the fun?You are stuck in a cockpit with an ugly hud.

You know what the average likes the houses,mounts,weapons,gear combat.The mounts are replaced by ships however ships have no animation they are a boring 2D structure.

To be a GOOD Sandbox game you need a lot of tools to work in that Sandbox,Eve does not deliver that.

I know there are a lot of boring gamer's out there who simply have fun playing a market but let's be realistic,that is not something you build a game around,that is something that happens on it's own.

This game was built solely around pvp and nothing more,even the skills are simple check boxes,not like you have to actually use those skills to level them up.

CCP entered a market that had literally zero competition in the MMO place,they entered with a VERY limited budget,there was no way in hell they were going to deliver a Triple A product,yet lot's of players still joined in.I think that proves that they were simply filling a void that would attract players based on that void,NOT on quality.

I followed the game from day 1,i was mildly interested,however they struggled to get the game out the door,right away i knew it was going to be a meek effort.Still i cut them some slack for a long time,you know maybe they have a vision but not the cash  flow.

However when they started tossing around tons of money and hired 650 employees ,i knew they had a boat load of money.That means they no longer get cut any slack and yet their game has still not improved even 5%.You might argue oh but we have added pvp ideas to make it better,yes but the CORE of the game is still stagnant,the same it ever was,CCP has done nothing effective to improve the game for a PVE or average gamer.I might also add that adding or changing statistical ideas costs them NOTHING,so imo a VERY poor effort.

There are acceptable ways to pull off the little they have accomplished and that would not take a lot of cost or effort,yet they still after many years have not done it.They could create housing within space Stations even if they don't want to put the effort into planets.They could have a full 3D Stations to fully see and work on your ship so you can actually have nice visuals for your ship's components.The list of those LITTLE things is massive,yet they have done nothing,so i give CCP a big time failing grade because doing little things that take a small effort and little cost and over 8 years is pretty darn slack.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

I just think there's more to the game than making isk. it's fun and offers a lot of different play styles. it seems to be all about making money. but, it's not. imo.

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987
    EvE definitely IS a sandbox many gamers look for. It's just that so many can not get into it because it's so vast and rich and content has depth that not many, if any, other mmorpgs have. It's very dependant on gathering knowledge and is suposed to be played slowly over years. Sadly, as we know from everyday experience many gamers already have a hard time reading and comprehending one short forum post as well as expertize content locust skills every time new mmorpg comes out.
  • Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    The main problem is I'm not that into out space.  I prefer something that is high fantasy with traditional fantasy classes/skills.  There have been a lot of high fantasy games, but the classes have been fairly bland and most are about following quests from point a to point b. 
  • OriousOrious Member UncommonPosts: 548
    People want an immersive fantasy virtual world. EVE is very unique as it's not only sci-fi, but also a ship sim/action game that feels like a very fleshed out world. A lot of pvp sandbox advocators like the ideas put into EVE, but they want it into a more "Crowfall" like scenario.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Really fun.

(Unless you enjoy gameplay.)

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

Originally posted by Orious
    People want an immersive fantasy virtual world. EVE is very unique as it's not only sci-fi, but also a ship sim/action game that feels like a very fleshed out world. A lot of pvp sandbox advocators like the ideas put into EVE, but they want it into a more "Crowfall" like scenario.

action game?

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by muffins89

It's really fun.

yeah.

can we have it now with toons instead of ships ?

I'd prefer a real world setting ala EveAge ^^

• OriousOrious Member UncommonPosts: 548
    Originally posted by Horusra

action game?

They added WASD controls and soon Joystick support. Game's pretty different when all you use is WASD/Shift decellerate/Space accelerate/shift+space stop/ targetting etc. Feels a lot more "dog fighty" with a fast ship that doesn't just stand there and let drones do all the work.

Originally posted by Horusra

action game?

They added WASD controls and soon Joystick support. Game's pretty different when all you use is WASD/Shift decellerate/Space accelerate/shift+space stop/ targetting etc. Feels a lot more "dog fighty" with a fast ship that doesn't just stand there and let drones do all the work.

I would still say the game is more tactical combat than actions since you really can not dodge or free target.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by Axehilt

Really fun.

(Unless you enjoy gameplay.)

LMAO, mining burn. Good one. image

You're an intelligent guy, stop embarrassing yourself because you happen to be incompatible with this particular game. A lot of people have called EVE home for many years for a reason. Even more people can't get past the first month or two and are completely lost. That's OK.

You really should be above this kind of nonsense.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880

Eve really is the ultimate sandbox. Nothing else even comes close. The only issue is that a real sandbox isnt for everybody. Many people claim to really want a true sandbox game but the harsh reality of it is that they cant handle it.

Many folks also prefer a high fantasy setting over a sci-fi space setting. I have said it many times over, if someone could reproduce what makes EvE the sandbox that it is, in a fantasy mmo setting, it would be a huge success.

The things that make EvE great:

Player Politics -

Thriving Economy -

Crafting - 

Logistics -

Risk vs Reward -

Danger - See risk vs reward

Last night I went on a roam into nullsec with some corp mates. I'm flying a Flycatcher. It's an interdictor that launches a probe that prevents people from warping away. Anyway, the new T3 destroyer, the Confessor, just jumped in on the gate I landed on so I engaged. Corpies werent close buy so I had to go at it alone for a while. Confessor can be tanked close to 10kehp where my flycatcher only has about 5500. He's lazer fit and im sporting rockets. I bubble up and engage. I quickly start getting excited and my hands are starting to shake a little, how awesome would it be to kill this guy solo, but knowing the Confessor, its highly unlikely. Corpies are inroute.

Cool thing about the confessor is that it has 3 different modes you can stitch to on the fly depending on the situation. Defensive, Propulsion and Sniper mode. Each mode has a transformation when you can use to tell which mode is i use. I notice he was in Sniper modeso I kited him close and fast to mitigate the incomming damage since his dps output is much higher than mine. Long story short, due to my combat awareness of the situation I was able to take down a superior ship by mitigating the damage and using his mistakes to my advantage.  Had he swapped to defensive mode at that range he could have survived enough to hill me. Even though my corpies arrived to to get in some shots in the end, I was killing him solo and would have survived and won the fight regardless. I dont know of any other game that has had me shaking in nervousness and excitement like EvE has. Here is a link to the kill. https://zkillboard.com/kill/44159476/

Eve has a depth that most people cannot comprehend.

Originally posted by Cecropia

LMAO, mining burn. Good one. image

You're an intelligent guy, stop embarrassing yourself because you happen to be incompatible with this particular game. A lot of people have called EVE home for many years for a reason. Even more people can't get past the first month or two and are completely lost. That's OK.

You really should be above this kind of nonsense.

Most games are popular because they're packed with interesting choices ("a good game is a series of interesting choices" -Sid Meier).  Given that, it seems fair when someone praises EVE to bring the flipside.

Genuinely epic things do happen in EVE, but the stories of these events leave out the thousands (hundreds of thousands?) of player-hours it took to get there.  So even if the highest highs might theoretically be better than other games, the steady-state drags the average experience down so low that it's not worth it.

When someone tries to sell a mapless walking tour of the Sahara by telling an amazing tale of one traveler who found an oasis (epic!), it's fair for someone else to point out that most of that tour for most travelers is going to completely suck.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• vadio123vadio123 Member UncommonPosts: 593

Except! for stupid combat , point to move and others thing 

and ships,, can be sci fi but ships..... 

But its awesome game 

and deserve crow of sandbox 

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Eve is good because everything else sandbox is pretty bad.
    Originally posted by VastoHorde
    Eve is good because everything else sandbox is pretty bad.

Only among MMOs.

In terms of sandboxes in general, EVE isn't even particularly sandbox-y.  Which makes sense, given that the more players you have manipulating the game world, the less any given player's changes can affect the entire world.  In MMOs' case there are hundreds or thousands of players, which means players have hardly any control at all, which means they aren't very sandbox-y at all.

The real focus is casual PVP (world PVP).

• TheOctagonTheOctagon Member UncommonPosts: 411

My biggest problem with the PvP is that it isn't very personal. Your zoomed all the way out so everything's small, really having little control of your ship.

Its all about ganking.