Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lf an mmorpg with great story.

darkstar62darkstar62 Member Posts: 6

I'm looking for an mmorpg with a story line like SWTOR. So far it has been the only mmo I have gotten into the storyline with. I love the romance options like mass effect and the immersion from the star wars world overall. I play wow, but i've never gotten into it. I believe back when i played guild wars 2 I got into it but I can't remember, but at the same time it seems like GW2 is dead. I havent looked back into it much but I haven't heard anything about it in a while. 

So really I'm just looking for an mmo to become immersed in. To where leveling actually feels like progressing rather than routine, e.g. SWTOR's moving on up through the sith or jedi ranks.

Comments

• ThornrageThornrage Member UncommonPosts: 659
    Elder Scrolls Online

"I don't give a sh*t what other people say. I play what I like and I'll pay to do it too!" - SerialMMOist

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

What ^^^^ said , The story is not as personal as the SW:TOR one, No romances, no real choices but stil one of the best Story based MMO's ever made. 

The Grind is shorter then in SW:TOR and the missions far for fun, sw:tor got repeative very fast with little to no story weaving between the main campain , ESO got a good story for nearly any and all missions

In less then 2 months it becomes B2P

• darkstar62darkstar62 Member Posts: 6
    Ok, I thought this may be the answer. SWTOR did get very repetitive and I just watched how ESO is going B2P soon, I may be looking to pick it up.
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    mmos arent the immersive anymore tbh. a kid jumping backwards on a mount in circles around you...isnt what id call imersion. try skyrim modded for immersion. other than that Tera has a pretty good story.
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• ZhauricZhauric Member UncommonPosts: 292
    FFXIV had a good story though I didn't play it to the cap. It's a different type of world though which some folks I know had to get use to if not familiar with the Asians themes, etc. I can't voice on ESO personally because I lost interest after beta but from word of mouth I have heard some really good things about the story.
  • sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373

Here are my favorites:

The Secret World - Amazing Story

I would also consider FF XIV

(Not an MMO) but Dragon Age Inquisition has a great story.

Lastly remember GW2 has an expansion coming out and I imagine a new story will accompany it.

• darkstar62darkstar62 Member Posts: 6
    I'm seeing a decent amount of threads where The Secret World is being mentioned. I remember before it came out it was huge, but that was the last  I heard about it. How's the combat in it?
  • Overlord_NeizirOverlord_Neizir Member UncommonPosts: 136
    ESO.
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

the secret world

you wont find a better story out there, especially if you do investigative mission ALONE - without the help of the internetz :P

tho it's engine could need some love :)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by darkstar62
    I'm seeing a decent amount of threads where The Secret World is being mentioned. I remember before it came out it was huge, but that was the last  I heard about it. How's the combat in it?

ESO and TSW are my suggestions as well.

TSW has action based combat, just like ESO. Some people hate the animations, but I think the game has plenty of other things going for it to make up for that. (And besides, it's a matter of personal taste anyway, you may very well like them)

ESO's story is more interactive when it comes to making choices, but TSW is a better "storytelling" experience overall. (Probably for a large part due to the lack of interactivity)

TSW is already B2P, so if you want something to tide you over until ESO goes B2P as well it'd be the perfect choice IMO. They are also very different settings, so they don't really compete with each other in that regard either. (One is High Fantasy, while the other is a Dark Modern Fantasy setting - think World of Darkness and the Dresden Files if you're familiar with either of those.)

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade

... Dark Modern Fantasy setting - think World of Darkness and the Dresden Files if you're familiar with either of those.)

Dresden Files mostly just by the setting, if I should pick a series close to TSW I'd say the Lost Room mini. When I first played Room 13 in Savage Coast (I mean the Hell and Bach investigation mission), it seemed very much like Lost Room to me :) (which room you do find in the end, in Tabula Rasa)

darkstar, TSW has a great, well-written story, I think that's why the plenty of mentioning. If you don't trust the judgement of random posters here, listen to the bear instead, the bear is right image  http://youtu.be/OkAHzCfwXGc (and also you can see the combat there, both in pve and in pvp). A nice compilation of the mood, the scenes, etc.

For story I'd say AoC too, if you like Howard's work. Nice writing, lots of hints and references to the books, cool NPCs with an adventure-ish conversation mechanic. Gameplay-wise the setting is similar to TOR's one, with occasional forks for the different archetypes during the questing. It's not as separated as TOR, there's only a few class quests on the road to the cap, and those are shared within the archetype (for example all 3 mages have the same one), so no unique storyline for every class like in TOR. Still, it definitely worths a check.

As honorary mention I'd say LotRO, the book line is awesome. No cutscenes and voice-acting like in the others (ok, there are a few cutscenes), so it involves plenty of reading, but the writers did a great job.

• ThornrageThornrage Member UncommonPosts: 659

In many areas, TSW is very atmospheric and immersive. Some very interesting story lines as well. I prefer ESO personally but from time to time I drop in TSW. 

The combat is the main reason I lose interest in TSW but then again I haven't tried all the various combat roles. So I may be missing out on some good combat fun.

I mentioned ESO earlier but I'll toss in TSW with it as well. Both are worth trying out.

"I don't give a sh*t what other people say. I play what I like and I'll pay to do it too!" - SerialMMOist