Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What MMO currently on the market has solid RP/Emergent Content?

sludgebeardsludgebeard Member RarePosts: 788
Anyone?

Comments

• Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    Pretty much anything people are calling sandbox, lately. Because "open world" and "emergent gameplay" have too many syllables, they say "sand box", when really, they're just being tricked into "role play".
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Vendetta Online does. 11 year veteran here:

I've seen guilds come and disappear, I've watched empires built and crumble; if only I could show you the things I've seen.

Time keeps speeding up, and yet I remain. It is emergence, in the truest sense of the word.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

EVE Online, and I'll also second Phaserlight's Vendetta Online recommendation. Of all the MMOs currently out there, I haven't seen any come close to the player interaction and emergent gameplay of these two universes.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Electro057Electro057 Member UncommonPosts: 683
    Project Gorgon is all about exploration, emergent gameplay, and educating yourself. If you don't stop and read the small text on the wall or the lil note you'll end up being cursed as a cow, and remain that way forever. Or until you can kill the very high level mob that cursed you.

--Custom Rig: Pyraxis---
    NZXT Phantom 410 Case
    Intel Core i5-4690 Processor - Quad Core, 6MB Smart Cache, 3.5GHz
    Asus Sabertooth Z87 Motherboard
    Asus GeForce GTX 760 Video Card - 2GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0
    Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 16GB

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    The diversity of your question is too broad.  What exactly are you asking?
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Originally posted by sludgebeard
    Anyone?

That I can recommend with a straight face? None

Eve is more of a job then a game, you'll never catch up to vets

Project Gorgon somehow looks and plays worse then Classic Everquest. Terrible Glitchy combat and server lag. It's not just dated graphics but ugly to point of immersion breaking.

Vendetta Online is just a worse version of Eve

The story of sandboxes for the last decade, you have 3 options:

1. Immersion

2. Polish

3. Mechanics

No you don't even get to pick 2, pick 1.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

none ... because RP/emergent content depends on players .. and most are in games only to consume content.

• jesadjesad Member UncommonPosts: 882

Hate to say this, because it is still a fairly new game and because it does have it's flaws.  But Archeage has a lot of different ways to play it that are all grindy as hell and co-dependent on other players playing their roles as well.  And although a lot of it is pretty much right there for you to see, getting to it is not the easiest thing in the world and they are adding new stuff in the meantime too.

RP wise then, it's not a far stretch to be the baker in an inn when being a baker is not the easiest thing in the world to master and having food is actually a necessary thing.  How you want to be/act about that is of course up to you, but the options are there.  Likewise things like setting up a shipping company or a trucking company, or actual tactical troop formation, or a whole bunch of things are all there, the people just need to take advantage of the options available.

Other than the fact that there is no way to keep people from cheating in certain ways i.e. rolling characters within both factions, multiple accounts, etc..., which are hard to stop in any game that doesn't specifically try to stop that kind of thing (which is never going to happen because it makes them money). It's a pretty solid, rp/emergent content setup right now.