Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Making people pay for stuff that was promised in the base game

RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

Really? Guild Halls was something that was supposed to be released with the original Guild Wars 2 release and they promised they'd give it to us "down the road" (apparently three years later counts as "down the road"). It was heavily implied that it wouldn't be locked away behind a pay wall since the devs kept screaming that there would be no expansion (even though many of us continued to beg for an expansion anyways).

Not an extremely classy move in my opinion.

Edit: Here's the link for those who keep saying I'm a liar: http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/18447-guild-info-discussion-thread/page__st__180#entry887047

Thanks to bcbully for providing the proof.

Smile

Comments

• SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836
    Please find a source for your statements, because I'm pretty sure what you said is wrong. There was not, to my knowledge, any promise that they would provide Guild Halls with the original Guild Wars 2 release.
  • HikaruuHikaruu Member CommonPosts: 103
    Have to agree with serelisk.
    As someone who followed gw2 info since about the time it was announced until release, I don't recall seeing anything stating that guild halls would be a provided feature in the original game

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

So what do you guys know about the big peoples world, companies need to make money...  And allready they added a whole lot of free co tent over the last two years...

on top of that, guildhalls where never announced as part of Gw2, the only thing they ever said is that they might add them over time, which is exactly what they are doing now.

I think adding this in the expansion is just fine...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i started following GW2 in 2009 when a friend of mine told me about it being in development and i have never heard ANET promising Guild Halls for GW2 (key word, promising)

OP, dont make up stuff. Besides, they have given us a lot of free content and updates in two years that other games would have charged for. Also, if its a paid expansion (im sure it is) the more features it comes with i think makes it worth every penny.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by rojoArcueid

i started following GW2 in 2009 when a friend of mine told me about it being in development and i have never heard ANET promising Guild Halls for GW2 (key word, promising)

OP, dont make up stuff. Besides, they have given us a lot of free content and updates in two years that other games would have charged for. Also, if its a paid expansion (im sure it is) the more features it comes with i think makes it worth every penny.

What is this freaking content that you people keep mentioning?! Living story is not something I consider as content.  Otherwise they've added two small maps that make up a normal sized map together and an LFG tool, plus the awful "New Player Experience," and fractals (that are about as much fun to do as trying to obtain a legendary). Where is this content that you speak of that actually adds progression?

I played Guild Wars 2 for over a year in a half and the content updates were pretty abysmal when it came to any actual, lasting content, and subsequently, I left because of the lack of lasting content, so I always love it when the the GW2 crusaders come out and try to guilt trip people with the "you've been given a lot of content for free" argument because it's simply not true.

This is one of the reasons why I look at this expansion in disgust because it's literally the first amount of progressive content we're getting in a very long time, and guess what? It's locked behind a pay-wall. Of course I'm not a blind GW2 crusader, so I can see the obvious when it's right in front of me. 

Also, "heavily implied" is apparently lost on the majority of you folks.

Smile

• SaluteSalute Member UncommonPosts: 795
    Then dont buy it m8. Keep your money and let us pay for the expansion. Just keep them tight :)

All Time Favorites: EQ1, WoW, EvE, GW1
    Playing Now: WoW, ESO, GW2

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Originally posted by Razeekster

What is this freaking content that you people keep mentioning?! Living story is not something I consider as content.  

Great, but since when does the world revolve around what any one person thinks? "they" think it is content. I'm sure others do as well.

Just because "I" think certain things (and I do) doesn't mean others are going to share the same opinion (and they don't).

Even if you don't like what GW2 devs have done it does take work and people consider it content. 

As far as your second part, I think what is lost on you is that if you want to make a statement that they "heavily implied" something then show how it was heavily implied.

Because if it doesn't exist, then it's not really lost on people.

"you" think that they have't added content and "you" think that everyone else doesn't get what "you" think was heavily implied.

If you want others to see your point then make one and back it up. Otherwise it just becomes a rant and is that what you really want?

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • CeryshenCeryshen Member UncommonPosts: 73
    Well ... are you gonna give them your money or not?

If you're willing to pay, why should they care?

Same goes for the next company with new promises. They are learning that it's ok to do these things. People will pay anyway, so why not let them pay twice :)
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

What is this freaking content that you people keep mentioning?! Living story is not something I consider as content.  Otherwise they've added two small maps that make up a normal sized map together and an LFG tool, plus the awful "New Player Experience," and fractals (that are about as much fun to do as trying to obtain a legendary). Where is this content that you speak of that actually adds progression?

I played Guild Wars 2 for over a year in a half and the content updates were pretty abysmal when it came to any actual, lasting content, and subsequently, I left because of the lack of lasting content, so I always love it when the the GW2 crusaders come out and try to guilt trip people with the "you've been given a lot of content for free" argument because it's simply not true.

This is one of the reasons why I look at this expansion in disgust because it's literally the first amount of progressive content we're getting in a very long time, and guess what? It's locked behind a pay-wall. Of course I'm not a blind GW2 crusader, so I can see the obvious when it's right in front of me. 

Judging by the last post I replied to of yours (H1Z1) then this one, you seem to have an issue with companies making money. You played a game for a year and a half for the price of a box, yet expect to pay nothing even still going forward when they've spent who knows how much time and resource building this new content. I doubt you will find many who agree with you on this. GW2 fans or not, I do not like the game at all.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977

Let's bash the expansion now before it becomes passe...

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Hmm, the question is if you need to own the expansion to visit your guildhall. I kinda doubt that even though I guess it is possible.
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

You seem pretty upset bashing GW2 as a ex-player with accusations which you can not back up.

Why all the effort? You don't seem to play the game anymore so why not use your energy in a positive game for the games you do actually play?

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

First, just because you didn't like the content that they've released doesn't mean it wasn't content. I do agree that Living Story S1 was pretty poor, but that doesn't mean it wasn't content. S2 was actually pretty good, all things considered, you can tell that ANet learned from their previous season and did add permanent changes with the addition of the new zones added. None of what they added is exactly trivial, but it's also something that isn't everyone's cup of tea. I stopped playing in October and only logged in to ensure that I wouldn't have to pay for the episodes of living story. So I'm in a similar boat as you, but I also don't deny that they have added a fair amount of content for free the last two years.

Next, you state that this is the first progressive content we're receiving but it's locked behind a pay wall. Sure, I agree, but that's also nearly every single other mmo out there. Significant content additions have been locked behind paywalls in mmos for a very long time. Take a look back at the history of the genre and you'll find a history of tons of expansions and tons of content being locked behind paywalls, and these are for P2P games. It's expected and customary.

Finally, the community has been begging for an expansion for quite awhile now. A good portion of the GW2 community has been pretty disappointed that ANet didn't follow a similar path as GW1 with new expansions on a pretty regular basis. Expansions bring forth a larger amount of changes than singular patches, and also allow a way for fans to help support a game they enjoy monetarily. 

• dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615
    We're not sure yet what exactly will be behind the xpansion paywall and what won't. I'd assume non xpack players could still visit their guilds hall. But no it was never promised to be part of the base game, hell it wasn't even promised to ever come just that it was on their 'future possible things we'd want to do list' which is probably a mile long.
  • UproarUproar Member UncommonPosts: 521

Really? Guild Halls was something that was supposed to be released with the original Guild Wars 2 release and they promised they'd give it to us "down the road" (apparently three years later counts as "down the road"). It was heavily implied that it wouldn't be locked away behind a pay wall since the devs kept screaming that there would be no expansion (even though many of us continued to beg for an expansion anyways).

So do not pay it.  I won't

• bbethelbbethel Member UncommonPosts: 201

I do agree with the OP as there has been very little in the way of content in GW2 since launch. Look at GW1 every year there was a new huge expansion you had to buy with new races new classes and new zones. Its been a few rears now since GW2 came out and really very little content in comparison to GW1.

In My Opinion I think that GW2 was launched a year to 2 to early. If we are finally getting new content on a much bigger scale that means that they are no longer working on the base game they not have the resources to expand the world and give us all the content they we all have been waiting for. Bring on the new classes and races please.

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

Can you find a source to those?

As far as I know (following it since about 5 months before release) guild halls were never actually promised, the only times they were mentioned were as something they weren't actively working on but might want to look into it in the future, or as one of the famous "nothing is off the table" comments.

And the expansions, I do remember reading the posts about them and noticing (at least back then, don't have the posts at hand right now) how they went out of the way to make it clear that they had no plans for an expansion AT THE TIME (IIRC it was during living story season 1), not that there would be no expansions ever.

Of course, this comes from the official forums where a "we want to look into it, no promises or ETA" for some reason becomes "we promise we'll do it in next patch or sooner".

As for content, IMHO Anet has released some really great free content to the game during S1 (SAB, marionette, flame and frost and aetherblade retreat dungeons, the LA invasion and then the fight against Scarlet)... but made the grave mistake of making most of it temporary, something they handled much better in S2.

And my personal opinion about the expansion, while I'm dissapointed at some of the things I saw (only one new sPvP mode, no new races), I'm definitively getting it, and only wish they would make it possible to pre-order soon or make it purchaseable with gems so I could do it right now, but that's a venezuelan thing, I'm limited to 300$ to spend online a year, I usually buy it all on amazon.com's gift cards to save it before the exchange rate goes up (as it'll do in a few months), I'd like to be able to buy it before that happens.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• mmorobommorobo Member UncommonPosts: 126

I do not think that word means what you think it means!

con·tent2

?käntent/

noun

noun: content; plural noun: contents

the things that are held or included in something.

There has been a TON of content and all for free.  The seasonal stuff was content (I'm only counting each once), the Living Story was content.  If you only spent  2 hours on each that would be over 60 hours of content.  Some of the updates gave 10-20 hours of content easily .  I would say GW2 gave you 150-300 hours or more content for free.  Many games that people full price for wish they had that much content.

Weather people liked the content is a different debate :).

• neuraneura Member UncommonPosts: 9

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/18447-guild-info-discussion-thread/page__st__180#entry887047

"We will introduce player housing at some point after launch, and at that time we will also implement guild halls."  No mention of when or for free.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by mmorobo

There has been a TON of content and all for free.  The seasonal stuff was content (I'm only counting each once), the Living Story was content.  If you only spent  2 hours on each that would be over 60 hours of content.  Some of the updates gave 10-20 hours of content easily .  I would say GW2 gave you 150-300 hours or more content for free.  Many games that people full price for wish they had that much content.

Weather people liked the content is a different debate :).

You are so right. From what I gathered so far is if you don't like it it can't possibly be content. WoD has garrisons which I love, but others don't like them because it is said they break down the community. Garrions must not be content in WoD to some, but it is considered content to me? 

I think some people just don't think things through before they start new threads. Speaking of which, the OPs comments should have been addressed in the other topic Heart of Thorns - what did you think? Now the mods have to monitor another thread that has the same basic information.

edit: snip

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

Your argument would be more valid if you replaced Guild Halls with Season 2 Chapters.  /ducks

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114
    Originally posted by Loke666
    Hmm, the question is if you need to own the expansion to visit your guildhall. I kinda doubt that even though I guess it is possible.

I'm thinking that they're only accessible through Maguuma Jungle, thus only through the expansion.   I'm sure there will be different iterations like those shown in the concepts in yesterday's show (like the Asura looking one, a Dwarven looking one too).    So they may have different locations throughout the game to be at, however I still don't see guildmembers being able to access them without the expansion in account.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by neura

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/18447-guild-info-discussion-thread/page__st__180#entry887047

"We will introduce player housing at some point after launch, and at that time we will also implement guild halls."  No mention of when or for free.

Considering it was stated many times that there would be no expansion, it was heavily implied it would be free. The fact that ArenaNet went totally back on what they said doesn't seem to bother a lot of people since a ton of people begged for an expansion, and ragged on the LS like no tomorrow, but now people will conveniently call it decent content. Funny how that works.

Smile

• LudwikLudwik Member UncommonPosts: 407
    I'm the biggest ANet hater in the world but this is just silly.

WoW just charged $60 for an expansion with 10 hours of content that removed more features than it added.

Based on that comparison, GW2 has given well over $500 worth of content for nothing. Asking for me is just crazy.
  • vadio123vadio123 Member UncommonPosts: 593

Anet its crapy company but stop think who other mmo actual have decent combat like gw2?

And not pay2win?

and others damm stuffs at end not moth fee here