Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What MMO would you recommend if i want to play a mage?

ricsi046ricsi046 Member UncommonPosts: 34

Hi

Is there any mmo where mage class is fun and you can use cool spells?Summoning spells would be nice but not neccessary.

Comments

• clumsytoes44clumsytoes44 Member UncommonPosts: 463
    Rift probably has one of the best mage class system's out in my opinion, and from what I remember it has 2 pet sub-classes. Necromancer normal summon undead yada yada, and elementalist I believe is the other, you can summon earth, water, air, or fire elemental.
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Made spells are pretty cool in GW2 and ther are a ton if them that can b used in combination e.g drop a fiery field and arrows that fly throu it burst into fire.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• ricsi046ricsi046 Member UncommonPosts: 34
    in gw2 and rift,are you forced to use only a few of your spells to be effective,or you can use whatever you like?
  • mystik13mystik13 Member UncommonPosts: 145

Rift mages are highly customisable, you basically choose a set of three mages talent trees http://telarapedia.gamepedia.com/Soul#Soul_Tree and invest points between and I think you can switch a couple of different builds on the fly.

The key to the gw2 mage is the attunement system combined with weapon choice staff, scepter/dagger, scepter/focus, dagger/dagger.  Attunements are earth, water, fire and air and your abilities change depending on what you are attuned to.  Many combos and talents are contingent on optimal switching attunements and using abilities at the correct time.  High skill cap.

Rift is f2p so suggest trying that first.

• ricsi046ricsi046 Member UncommonPosts: 34
    thanks,i will give it a try
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885

Try the original Everquest Magician an amazing class. I do not think any game has ever managed to gives classes so many unique spells like Everquest did. 

The class has summoning spells and you can even give your pet weapons. Wish this games' s population was bigger but if you solo this game in my opinion trumps.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by ricsi046
    in gw2 and rift,are you forced to use only a few of your spells to be effective,or you can use whatever you like?

In GW2 my ele will switch between 25 skills during a combat, you have 10 at any time but switches between elements (I use all elements during most fights). 5 skills you pick yourself, the other 20 depends on what weapon/weapons you use.

There are pets (elementals) but they are not close to ranger pets in manner of control.

Personally do I prefer this system to rifts but it is a matter of taste.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    Wizard101 is aimed towards younger players, but it's a rather fun game with one of the most unique combat systems in the genre. And everyone's a wizard in the game. :)

<3

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

RIFT let's you mix and match your magery, almost on the fly.

GW2's elementalist is a fun mage to play and has a lot of really cool looking spells.

Asheron'd Call is great if you want to get some action into your magery.

Wizard 101 is all about the mage, wrapped in a fun CCG.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

Hi

Is there any mmo where mage class is fun and you can use cool spells?Summoning spells would be nice but not neccessary.

I'd add Age of Conan to the list too, all three mages are fun (and ToS could be considered here too, it's a healer with decent nice lightning damage).

Necro is obviously the most fitting candidate for the "Summoning spells" part with reanimating minions, but demo has a demon pet too, and the hox doesn't need dead or demons to summon, s/he can turn into one if s/he needs more damage :)

(and for the cool spells factor, check this n0b playing necro http://youtu.be/TTGugd7l4Oo image even the audio is weak, and he use spellweave for plain mobs, but at least you can see the animation of it... spellweaving is cool)

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,056

Mages (elementalist) in GW2 have more skills to use than any other class in the game, except maybe an engineer with kits. This also can make them difficult to play effectively. There are also others such as necro which will let you run around with a bunch of minions, and Mesmer which is a blast.

Rift mages are also very diverse, was my favorite class for sure.

Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • DevastatorxDevastatorx Member Posts: 10

As others have stated, Rift and GW2 have the best mages of any MMO by far IMO. So much diversity, so many skills. Learning curve is a bit higher than a mage from say, WoW. Extremely rewarding when mastered, your group will love you. If I had to pick one of the 2 games to start with, I'd choose Rift. I love their F2P model.

Good luck!

• Electro057Electro057 Member UncommonPosts: 683
    I'd really have to recommend Guild Wars 2's elementalist, it's a rather fun experience and a complicated playstyle that takes some practice to master. Not to mention you've gotta keep on your toes and dodge dodge dodge!

--Custom Rig: Pyraxis---
    NZXT Phantom 410 Case
    Intel Core i5-4690 Processor - Quad Core, 6MB Smart Cache, 3.5GHz
    Asus Sabertooth Z87 Motherboard
    Asus GeForce GTX 760 Video Card - 2GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0
    Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 16GB

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

You could try rolling a Sith Sorcerer in SWTOR for a twist on the theme.  I also loved the Necromancer in GW2

• Varex12Varex12 Member CommonPosts: 357

Amazed that people are actually recommending Rift to the OP.  He said he wants the class to be "fun."  What about Rift combat is fun?  If you are going to play a mage, at least play one that has cool animations and spell effects.  Rift is at the bottom of the list in this regard.  

• TheDoveTheDove Member Posts: 91

DDO, if you're in to dungeon crawling.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

I would recommend GW2 or RIFT.

In GW2 you play with 4 elements on the fly...attack on fire...slow enemies & heal in water....protect & cc with earth & same with electricity...all of that available in seconds in the same fight. More than 20 skills to choose from and all with attached buffs.

In RIFT you can change attunements on the run... party needs a healer? It won´t be a problem since you mage can heal almost like a dedicated healer!! I used to love the "Chloromancer" mage...healing the party at the same time than you do dmg to the enemy.

• JonBonJawaJonBonJawa Member UncommonPosts: 489

Age of Conan

ESO

mechanics of AoC are more fun though

• zzaxzzax Member UncommonPosts: 324
    It would be some Darkfall class. Everything else is shit tab-target or pseudo action combat.
  • Varex12Varex12 Member CommonPosts: 357
    Originally posted by zzax
    It would be some Darkfall class. Everything else is shit tab-target or pseudo action combat.

OP never said he wanted action combat.  That was never even on his list of priorities for playing a mage.  And Darkfall brings absolutely nothing else to the table that would interest him or anyone else in regards to a mage class.  

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Hi

Tbh magic is one of the few things most MMOs do well.

Rift's mage class isn't bad, and as others pointed out GW2's elementalist is also crazy fun. What didn't get said in regards to GW2 is that there are actually 3 'mage' classes in the game currently.

The most obvious is the elementalist (weave between elements to cast a ton of different and flashy spells).

There's also mesmers, which are insanely fun, can distort reality (create portals, clones, etc.) and create general chaos on the battlefield.

Necromancers are also really fun. You can play them like a more traditional pet class, drain life from your victims, or spread mass conditions and death. They can also transform into a giant lich that gains access to really strong abilities temporarily.

Some other games to check out would be Neverwinter. I can't stay w/ the game for very long, but something about the combat is just satisfying. Make a control wizard, and enjoy sucking enemies into a miniature blackhole you punch into the sky. The class is crazy fun, and also very flashy. They also recently added a warlock class which isn't bad either.

Warhammer had some decent mage classes as well, but that game is no more :(.

Archeage also has some flashy spells, though the rest of the game I'm not too keen on.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by MoreOfTheSame

Age of Conan

ESO

mechanics of AoC are more fun though

Imho both games do melee combat much better than magic. In ESO mages are OP as hell, but their builds are way too simplistic. They also don't get many spells that really feel satisfying. I felt the same w/ AoC, but to a lesser degree (and melee classes were actually fairly strong in AoC).

• ErgloadErgload Member UncommonPosts: 433

Achaea has a few magic-based classes that are pretty cool. The pure Magi class can lay down a bunch of AoE spells that do pretty good damage, and a skillset that revolves around creating and commanding magical golems. Sylvans are like mages with a forestal-druid type theme, they're pretty cool too, and can transform into vine-wreathed monsters to tentacle raep people.

I played Eldevin briefly but you can put skillpoints into any of the classes, so you can build a dual-wielding warrior with some magic spells if you want. I had a rogue-style assassin/archer with healing spells, was cool for a bit. 

• sibs4455sibs4455 Member UncommonPosts: 369
    Originally posted by zzax

Darkfall is to carebear, now if you had permanent death then an answer like yours would be justified.

@ op

Two free to play games come to mind, Age of Conan and Path of Exile, both are loads of fun to play.

• falconhandfalconhand Member UncommonPosts: 50

I have to say try the hox in age of conan.

Lots of nice fire spells, ripping out hearth and chopping of heads. And burning the other player alive not to be forgotten to mention. Its indeed up close and personal kind of mage, but lots of fun to play.