Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: The Bard's Tale IV -- It's Real

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

According to a Tweet from Brian Fargo, The Bard's Tale IV is a reality.

It's official.. And I'm very personally excited to be working on this. More details to follow. pic.twitter.com/OegeiAU28B

— Brian Fargo (@BrianFargo) January 24, 2015

InXile Entertainment is planning a Kickstarter for The Bard's Tale IV. Details about the game are still light, but Fargo did say the team will be pulling from the original as far as overarching ideas go. From a story perspective, players will be returning to Skara Brae, where it all began. But on the gameplay side of things, Fargo is planning a deviation.

"Traditional turn-based combat," as Fargo calls it, bases turns on varying factors, creating battles in which different characters attacked at different times, often alternating between opposing sides. But in The Bard's Tale IV, teams attack all at once. This increases the pace of the combat, and allows for a different set of tactics than the traditional system might allow.

"There will be plenty of combat diversity and depth," Fargo said. "You look at something like Hearthstone, for example. It's sort of that going back-and-forth process, and you see the complexity and detail and strategy and nuance that can happen. It's really an amazing system. I love those modern influences. I took a lot away from that, and see things we need to do with our combat system."

Source for quote: IGN.com

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

if its like the original 3 that would be awesome, if its like that god awful attempt of a Bard's Tale game they did some what recently they shouldnt waste their or our time

• chucky999chucky999 Member UncommonPosts: 26
    I wonder if they finally acquired the rights from EA?
  • BurntCabbageBurntCabbage Member UncommonPosts: 482
    Originally posted by chucky999

i agree

EA = wont even bother im anti EA

anybody else = ill deff. give it a shot!

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

My only contact with the series was part 1 which I got for free on the amazon app shop for my android cell phone.

The combat is mediocre at best but I love the humor - always a reason to tease my British friends.

To say it differently: The only game on my cell where I invested over 20 hours.

Harbinger of Fools
  • severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516
    Would've been excited had you not put out that piece of drek that you called the Bard's Tale a couple years ago.  If that insulting joke was your idea of advancement and modernization, well you can keep it and I will keep my money.  
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    if it doesn't have 4 groups of 99 Berserkers it fails
  • ishistishist Member UncommonPosts: 213
    Originally posted by chucky999

I think someone should start a kickstarter with the goal of buying the rights to absolutely everything from EA.

They can keep Battlefield and Madden. With all the free time on their hands they can make like 12 of each a year. The sheep would still buy them.

Coming next month! Battlefield 5.3! Regular sad sack edition - $59.99, Cool People edition - $199.99

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

• GrinnzGrinnz Member UncommonPosts: 312
    Originally posted by cheyane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7rAnaKId3E

Oh god I loved this game

worst Bard's Tale of the lot....

• CassSmithCassSmith Member Posts: 17
    I'm with you.  The newer Bard's Tale was amusing but it wasn't Bard's Tale.  To be Bard's Tale it must stay true to the ip, gameplay included.  *IF* it is close enough to number 3, I will be kickstarting