Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 only $9.99 during PAX South

XristoXristo Member UncommonPosts: 41

For those who have been skeptical about taking the plunge, ANet just announced that GW2 will be on sale for $9.99 during PAX South. No time better than now to jump in!

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/this-weekend-guild-wars-2-at-pax-south-an-unprecedented-sale-and-double-xp-for-all/

Edit: updated link with official ANet post

Comments

• askdabossaskdaboss Member UncommonPosts: 631

Insane price for a great game. On board the hype train, everyone! Buy it this weekend during PAX if you were on the fence!

At that price, I might just buy a second account for bank space and more characters, etc.

• PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603

That is an absolute steal for a game of this quality. Even if you don't like MMO's you can run the storyline and have fun for $10.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

This is speculation, but informed speculation.

My guess is that the $9.99 price is the last hurrah for the current game product and that PAX will see the announcement of an expansion pack, which will be sold in a form that includes the base game. They may offer an expansion only offering for people who already own the game, but moving forward they will likely only sell the base game with the expansion pack.

This leverages the excitement over the expansion and also allows them to sell a product at the full box price that will include the entire (expanded) GW2 experience. They used to love to package GW1 expansions that way and it worked out very well for the product. Even though some people seem to think that an expansion shouldn't sell for full box price, who would argue against the value of buying GW2+Expansion for $49.99 or $59.99?

I just wish that they hadn't decimated the player base since launch by completely neglecting the game world content in favor of Living Story. I'm almost certain to come back to the game for an expansion on at least one of my two accounts, but it's sad to know I'm coming back to mega-servers, which have eliminated the old sense of community the game once possessed. I also get the impression from my friends that few, if any, of my previous guild mates will be willing to return for an expansion, which sucks as well.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• vadio123vadio123 Member UncommonPosts: 593
    Cheap price 
  • GrinnzGrinnz Member UncommonPosts: 312
    excellent price!
    Originally posted by fiontar

This is speculation, but informed speculation.

My guess is that the $9.99 price is the last hurrah for the current game product and that PAX will see the announcement of an expansion pack, which will be sold in a form that includes the base game. They may offer an expansion only offering for people who already own the game, but moving forward they will likely only sell the base game with the expansion pack.

This leverages the excitement over the expansion and also allows them to sell a product at the full box price that will include the entire (expanded) GW2 experience. They used to love to package GW1 expansions that way and it worked out very well for the product. Even though some people seem to think that an expansion shouldn't sell for full box price, who would argue against the value of buying GW2+Expansion for $49.99 or $59.99?

You might well be right. It might be easier for them in development terms to package the game + xpac all at once anyway, so that there aren't discrepancies between players and content accessible to them.

I'm wondering if we will get an xpac in the traditional sense of the term though, not that I would mind (I enjoyed "WoW burning crusade"). Interested to see.

I just wish that they hadn't decimated the player base since launch by completely neglecting the game world content in favor of Living Story. I'm almost certain to come back to the game for an expansion on at least one of my two accounts, but it's sad to know I'm coming back to mega-servers, which have eliminated the old sense of community the game once possessed. I also get the impression from my friends that few, if any, of my previous guild mates will be willing to return for an expansion, which sucks as well.

Mega server is great I think. You have always loads of people running around, and if you felt a bit lonely at times in the low level zones, it's good to always have 2-3 people to back you up any time of the day.

I agree though that I would have liked them to expand on the game world more. Living Story was passable in the beginning, but ended being OK as they learnt their lessons.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by askdaboss

Insane price for a great game.

At that price, I might just buy a second account for bank space and more characters, etc.

Great? :) I wouldn't poke it again with a 10ft pole (except if they add SAB as a permanent thing, it was cool).

But even with my dislike of GW I agree, it is a good price (and it applies on both editions so they will be 10 and 15 dollars/euros during the weekend), it's definitely a cheap way to get a mule account for those who like the game.

Just so you know, the discount is available from now! For this weekend only.

Go to: http://buy.guildwars2.com/

Happy gaming!

Originally posted by Sukiyaki

Quick buy now!

Then at the last minute they announce the new expansion box for 40-50 bucks including the base game. Or at least some 30-40 bucks online upgrade.

I know how these bloodsucker work!

Heh heh, just like Turbine with Lone-lands in LotRO :)

(regular quest pack sales for 50%, then Lone-lands on a weekend for 75%, then later a "for those who missed the weekend sale, just for 1 day, 90% off" - of course the 75% players went berserk from it. But that was nothing compared to the result of the dev letter a few days later: "oh, and by the way, with the next update Lone-lands will be free to everyone". image)

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Amazing deal!

Ok, I wrote above that I wouldn't poke it again with a 10ft pole... well, the cat-killer (curiousity) was stronger :)

Based on the newbie areas this deal 'clicked' for a lot of people, it's pretty crowded. I mean, if you see 8-10 players on a lvl3 event killing off everything on sight, that seems a lot (back in the days when I played there were only 3 at once, maybe 4). And as I can see those were on actual level, not downscaled folks.

A few things I noticed during my short visit (I don't plan to stay, so just asking them out of curiosity) :

I got 2 birthday presents. Wtf? I assume it's from Anet, I don't think other players would send me anything. Also it means the game is more than 2 years old? wow, time flies indeed :)

The new wallet. As an altoholic I think it's a great move (though I must say in LotRO the heavy rp'ers went nuts from the unified wallet... "my characters are separate individuals, why share the currencies among them?"). Not me :) At least I don't have to transfer gold all the time :)

After talking with NPCs I couldn't find my personality status. I used to be Diplomatic, but now -while it says, that for example my charm increased- I can't see it anywhere. Odd...

A technical one, wtf is this incoherent babbling of the client? (I mean this so-called CoherentUI). It filled my firewall log... I thought it's just for the new client for the login, but nope, like if I wasn't play gw2.exe, this crap is reaching the net more often :)