Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So... how do you feel about the switch to B2P?

Comments

• mrBurns210mrBurns210 Member Posts: 114
    Originally posted by Iselin
    Originally posted by mrBurns210

"PC was a paid beta" comments popping up all over today are just drama. 

Not really. The game should have stayed in development for another year.  They pushed out a PC version simply because they needed $.

Console version forced the new payment model ( MS would not budge on waiving subscription fee of their own ). So this moved makes sense but Zenimax Online knew this before PC release which means more then likely a b2p or f2p was in the works from almost the start.

So feel free to belittle how others feel writing it off as just drama.For some though it isn't drama. It just simply highlights a company that has shady business practices.

You guys really don't get it? here I'll write in nanfoodle colors.

NO ONE HAD TO PLAY - IT WAS NOT COMPULSORY. IF YOU PLAYED IT, IT WAS BECAUSE YOU WANTED TO AND UNLESS YOU'RE A MASOCHIST, YOU ENJOYED IT.

So, yes really, it's just drama.

No.

Let us work through this.

Steam sells games in beta they say 'Early Access'. You know when you buy the game that it will be buggy and not finished.

ESO was sold as a finished game. It wasn't. The past year was equivalent to early access.

OK let;s do work through it: you stuck around for 10 months paying every month? You were having fun but now you say it was all beta? yes, it's drama.

I really don't care if you thought it was finished or not (as if any MMO ever is, lol.) If you bought it, hated it, got a refund or didn't sub after your free month, fine, have at it with all your beta comments.

But anyone who says they stuck around subbing month after month and are now quitting because it's going B2P and on the way out they say "it was just beta all this time"... that's drama.

Me personally I bought the game plus a 6month ( would have loved a refund but i felt that was bit douche ).  That  still was a paid beta.

I said :

"PC was a paid beta. I am done with this company ( not like it matters much)." meaning the shady practices of ZOS causes me to no longer buy any product from the company.

Originally posted by Lazarus71

Not really. The game should have stayed in development for another year.  They pushed out a PC version simply because they needed $.

Console version forced the new payment model ( MS would not budge on waiving subscription fee of their own ). So this moved makes sense but Zenimax Online knew this before PC release which means more then likely a b2p or f2p was in the works from almost the start.

So feel free to belittle how others feel writing it off as just drama.For some though it isn't drama. It just simply highlights a company that has shady business practices.

NO ONE HAD TO PLAY - IT WAS NOT COMPULSORY. IF YOU PLAYED IT, IT WAS BECAUSE YOU WANTED TO AND UNLESS YOU'RE A MASOCHIST, YOU ENJOYED IT.

No.

Steam sells games in beta they say 'Early Access'. You know when you buy the game that it will be buggy and not finished.

ESO was sold as a finished game. It wasn't. The past year was equivalent to early access.

Come on..... No mmo is ever a truly finished game. They are always a work in progress, any long time mmo player knows this.

Finished games as in ready for release. Which ESO was not.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

No.

Come on..... No mmo is ever a truly finished game. They are always a work in progress, any long time mmo player knows this.

It wasn't?  I mean I stopped playing halfway though the VR grind but that wasn't a unfinished game so much as a mechanic I didn't like.  The 1-50 experience was remarkably good to me with few issues.  Sure there where some but there always are some issues with new MMO's and there always has been.  It certainly wasn't the worst MMO launch in history by a long shoot.

There is a big difference between a unfinished game and a finished game that has mechanics you don't like.  ESO was a finished game with a lot of poorly implemented features at least to me.  The work since launch has largely been tweaking those poorly implemented features to more modern consumer friendly versions not fix broken systems at least overall.  Sure there have been no shortage of bug fixes but again those are just life with a MMO no matter how far back in time you go.

• vadio123vadio123 Member UncommonPosts: 593

problem ESO its same stuffs from 1 - 50 

BUT WHAT FUCK MMO its not? same stuffs over and over again

Maybe people dont remember but repetitive tasks its on all mmo since day 1 

• PaskePaske Member UncommonPosts: 135

I will enjoy it untill it becomes P2W or content patches become lacking.

At that time it will be the end.

Still a good game and I do enjoy it.

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273

From Elder Scrolling to Elder Shopping?

I can't say I'm too pleased - but it wasn't exactly a shock.

I've seen too many great MMOs devolve into "deal of the week" advert engines, but I guess there's a chance Zenimax won't go for the easy short-term buck, once the initial excitement of not having to pay for quality is over - and people start expecting quality for nothing. It's amazing that so few people understand what happens at that point, and how B2P or F2P has never been a good thing for a great game in the longer term. Then again, long term thinking is as rare as the subscription MMOs themselves.

Pity, as I really like the game and feel like it could become a true masterpiece with enough care.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

On one hand it's great that I can come and go as I please from the game, on the other, I worry we won't be seeing the great updates we have thus far, especially in regard to content additions, the B2P model pretty much dictates taht stuff will be going to paid DLC. Which is fine in the sense that they need to make money, I just prefer content along with a subscription.. Hopefully it's true that we won't need to pay extra if we're already subbing.

I also do not like the idea of stuff being removed from gameplay rewards and instead moved to a cash shop. It hurts game-play in the end IMO.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by udon

No.

It wasn't?  I mean I stopped playing halfway though the VR grind but that wasn't a unfinished game so much as a mechanic I didn't like.  The 1-50 experience was remarkably good to me with few issues.  Sure there where some but there always are some issues with new MMO's and there always has been.  It certainly wasn't the worst MMO launch in history by a long shoot.

There is a big difference between a unfinished game and a finished game that has mechanics you don't like.  ESO was a finished game with a lot of poorly implemented features at least to me.  The work since launch has largely been tweaking those poorly implemented features to more modern consumer friendly versions not fix broken systems at least overall.  Sure there have been no shortage of bug fixes but again those are just life with a MMO no matter how far back in time you go.

The game was released early because they were out of funds. That is why the PC released first and the console version continued with work. The initial investments into ZOS were back in 2007 so by 2013 some income was prob needed to start to payback that investment.

If it was finished and ready they would have launched all 3 at the same time. Since the PC was playable and ZOS needed money a paid beta worked well.

• MachkeznhoMachkeznho Member UncommonPosts: 424
    The minute I saw the official post I unsubscribed and uninstalled no thanks I dont ride the F2P/B2P P2W train.
  • sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Originally posted by DMKano
    I love it. ESO was actually going to be a B2p game from the start but it was over ruled by a handful of upper execs at Zenimax. The vast majority of ZoS devs wanted it to be B2P at launch.

I certainly hope those who called you out in another thread come back to apologize.  While I wouldn't hold my breath, it is the right thing to do.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Originally posted by Datastar
    The minute I saw the official post I unsubscribed and uninstalled no thanks I dont ride the F2P/B2P P2W train.

You realize the game isnt changing right? You can still sub and get the same content PLUS the DLC for the same 14.99 while continuing to support ESO and its future major content updates.

The Crown Store brings DLC ( that is included if you sub ) , Cosmetic skins etc. Nothing is being added that breaks anything.

• Fly666monkeyFly666monkey Member UncommonPosts: 161
    Caaaalllleeeed it!
  • BascolaBascola Member UncommonPosts: 425
    Originally posted by grimal
    I love it. ESO was actually going to be a B2p game from the start but it was over ruled by a handful of upper execs at Zenimax. The vast majority of ZoS devs wanted it to be B2P at launch.

Really?  Source?

His imagination...he loves to make stuff up and pretend to be an "insider" yet no credible sources ever.

• BascolaBascola Member UncommonPosts: 425
    Originally posted by sumdumguy1

I certainly hope those who called you out in another thread come back to apologize.  While I wouldn't hold my breath, it is the right thing to do.

Dude, everyone knew it was going B2P when the stores on PS4 and XBONE showed it not having subscription requirements and that was weeks ago.

• primaloozeprimalooze Member UncommonPosts: 21

I did exactly the same.

• PagoasPagoas Member UncommonPosts: 120
    i played the open beta and it wasn't just godawful.  but it wasn't very good, either.  boring actually.  so i'll just wait until they pay me to play.

• primaloozeprimalooze Member UncommonPosts: 21
    Originally posted by SlyLoK

You realize the game isnt changing right? You can still sub and get the same content PLUS the DLC for the same 14.99 while continuing to support ESO and its future major content updates.

The Crown Store brings DLC ( that is included if you sub ) , Cosmetic skins etc. Nothing is being added that breaks anything.

You realise that the cosmetic skins etc will 100% replace any new armor models for the core game...they wont waste thier time developing more.  And like swtor the free "crowns" you are given are going to be aimed at a minimum wage type level.... you might be able to by 1 or 2 things a month but you will overall end up paying more for the full experience.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by primalooze

You realise that the cosmetic skins etc will 100% replace any new armor models for the core game...they wont waste thier time developing more.  And like swtor the free "crowns" you are given are going to be aimed at a minimum wage type level.... you might be able to by 1 or 2 things a month but you will overall end up paying more for the full experience.

Yeah, I sort of feel sorry for obsessive completionists. Personally, I could care less for costumes that hide my awesome dye job, I like my cheap white horse and potions are for wimps

I don't know what the hell I'll spend my 1500 crowns on.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

I hope to see more B2P MMO's, such as TSW, GW2, and now ESO.

B2P is a fair deal between consumer and developers.

The initial purchase is similar to other genres (RTS, FPS, etc.), and t's forever yours to play.  Charging $15 for access was always a bad strategy, except for the anomaly WoW, but even that is subsiding finally.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

I am happy with the change, but I would have bought it for PS4 and paid a sub regardless.

This model has done well with TSW IMO. No reason for it not to work with ESO.

• MachkeznhoMachkeznho Member UncommonPosts: 424
    I read the FAQ I know exactly what being advertised but I also know in my extensive history of playing mmorpg's that any game with a cash shop its just a matter of time before it becomes p2w,  its not a question of if its when all it takes is a bad quarterly statement and suddenly you have whack items in the shop.  Sure the optional sub will offer content but what happens when they implement the two missing classes Crowns or gtfo is what im guessing and it likely wont be part of the deal.  Its just to shady a business model for my tastes and I for one refuse to support it, not to mention it drags the community to hell quickly...again no thanks.
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Originally posted by primalooze

I am sorry but they will not stop having well designed armor skins just because a cosmetic shop is in the game. And you dont even need to use the crowns you get while subbed because you will get EVERYTHING that means anything with it and that includes the extra content DLC that they bring out. If you are b2p then you will buy crowns to purchase that additional content that IS NOT REQUIRED and IS NOT REPLACING MAJOR UPDATES.

The " full experience " does not include fluff items I am sorry to say. Being b2p nets you Craglorn , AvA , 1-50 , Champion System..etc. and those are the full experience. 

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    Originally posted by OhhPaigey

I think, and hope, that the game does a lot better.

It seems like payment options where you're "forced" to pay to play aren't doing so hot nowadays, what a surprise (not).

So, yeah, B2P is a good start, and it'll probably end up making more money than they will with the monthly subscription forced on players.

I agree, subs suck unless they are optional.

Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile