Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So I dropped 8 and went to windows 7.

Comments

• ClaiesClaies Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Random Windows 8 bash in a forum on a website for MMORPGs.   Gee, haven't seen that one before.....
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,007
    Mine always says program failed to open in time and the only way I can stop it from crashing is to set the power settings on high. Maybe try to set your power settings on high. Seems strange but it's solved 90% of my problems.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181

Originally posted by Alumicard

@op I have been running win7 a while now and it really runs better than win8 imho.  Win8 and maybe 10 (havent checked that one yet) might screw with your system even when it should run without a hitch. There is a reason why gov agencies warn about win8.

The least I can personally  say about win8 is that it causes more problems than it should. The secure boot  leaves a mixed feeling to say the least. If your box runs fine with win7 then use it and it will be supported for quite a while. MS just stopped the support for xp but win7 will have support (read updates) for quite a while.

Also if you are looking for an OS that runs smooth for any setting try linux (mint, ubuntu... whatever you fell like). Whatever system I threw at it, it ran without a problem. Make a 2nd partition to run win 7/8...whatever ... for your gaming needs and you are fine imho.

Are you talking about the German government warning? If so that was a captain obvious warning that software cannot secure unsecure hardware. What problems does Win8 cause and what is wrong with secureboot? People bashed M$ forever for being unsecure, they come up with one of the best protection methods possible and people bash that.  And while open source OSes are nice in concept, what can they do any smoother than Windows?

Originally posted by emperorwings
    Mine always says program failed to open in time and the only way I can stop it from crashing is to set the power settings on high. Maybe try to set your power settings on high. Seems strange but it's solved 90% of my problems.

Your what says what program failed to open?

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• KrimzinKrimzin Member UncommonPosts: 687

I dropped 7/8/8.1 and Went to Windows 10.. ABSOLUTELY love it.

Do a search for Windows 10 Technical preview.. got 20fps better than with Window 7

Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    Best Duo Ever

Lets see your Battle Stations /r/battlestations
    Battle Station 
    Originally posted by Krimzin

I dropped 7/8/8.1 and Went to Windows 10.. ABSOLUTELY love it.

Do a search for Windows 10 Technical preview.. got 20fps better than with Window 7

Tried it out, explorer is a bit unstable at the moment so back on 8.1, will def upgrade to 10 as soon as it's released.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

The only thing worth criticizing about Win8/8.1 is Metro.

Trying to criticize it for performance related issues is just another way of saying "Hi my name is Joe and I know shit about PCs"

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    Originally posted by Dakeru

I'm a simple man and follow a simple rule: Skip every 2nd Windows

Worked pretty well for me. Get a whole new computer as well with near the top hardware as well so the computer itself will last longer. I built my current rig when Win 7 first came out and it's still working fine. I never saw 8 and I don't need to. Now I'm waiting for 10.

• evdaezevdaez Member UncommonPosts: 131
    Originally posted by filmoret

So about two years ago I got a new laptop and it had windows 8 64.  The laptop was extremely slow and I couldn't open more then one internet browser at once without lagging the thing down and messing everything up.  So a year later I got another new computer with 8 64 and this one ran very well.  The only problem I had was when closing games it would take a really long time to close them.

Recently I got windows 7 32 and put it on the slow machine hoping it would solve something.  Now that computer runs flawlessly on windows 7 32.  I was really mad that I put up with that crappy computer for 2 years and it was all because of windows 8 64.  So then I took the good laptop and installed windows 7 64 and guess what.  It runs better then windows 8.  I can close any game and it will close immediately and I can also press ctrl-alt-del and it works right away instead of 40 seconds later.

Conclusion... there is a difference between the two systems and yes windows 7 will give you a better gaming experience.

I had windows 8 pre-installed on my computer. It ran fast but the problem is `licensing`. Ive contacted the manufacturer of my gaming laptop that win8 wouldn't activate. They gave me a new key which is all fine but the moment i rebooted the laptop it would default to the key that was installed on the rom or bios, either of these 2.

Ended up i've got to used some shady software that would put my win8 on an infinite trial... The licensing is quite messed up. I tolerated it for months, for some reason i couldn't upgrade it to 8.1 as it was on infinite trial.

If i used the default OEM key-> I couldn't activate

If i used infinite trial method-> Couldn't upgrade to 8.1 for the `start menu` lol

I was like fk it and went to downgrade to win7. Been running smoothly ever since.

My issue with win8 isnt performance, it ran fast... but its the UI and licensing issue thats screwed up.

Gotta install classic-shell just to get a start menu on my vanilla w8.

Msoft and blizzard pvp balance team had something in common, fixing things that shouldn't be fixed in the first place lol.

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Originally posted by sadWinds

So about two years ago I got a new laptop and it had windows 8 64.  The laptop was extremely slow and I couldn't open more then one internet browser at once without lagging the thing down and messing everything up.  So a year later I got another new computer with 8 64 and this one ran very well.  The only problem I had was when closing games it would take a really long time to close them.

Recently I got windows 7 32 and put it on the slow machine hoping it would solve something.  Now that computer runs flawlessly on windows 7 32.  I was really mad that I put up with that crappy computer for 2 years and it was all because of windows 8 64.  So then I took the good laptop and installed windows 7 64 and guess what.  It runs better then windows 8.  I can close any game and it will close immediately and I can also press ctrl-alt-del and it works right away instead of 40 seconds later.

Conclusion... there is a difference between the two systems and yes windows 7 will give you a better gaming experience.

I had windows 8 pre-installed on my computer. It ran fast but the problem is `licensing`. Ive contacted the manufacturer of my gaming laptop that win8 wouldn't activate. They gave me a new key which is all fine but the moment i rebooted the laptop it would default to the key that was installed on the rom or bios, either of these 2.

Ended up i've got to used some shady software that would put my win8 on an infinite trial... The licensing is quite messed up. I tolerated it for months, for some reason i couldn't upgrade it to 8.1 as it was on infinite trial.

If i used infinite trial method-> Couldn't upgrade to 8.1 for the `start menu` lol

I was like fk it and went to downgrade to win7. Been running smoothly ever since.

My issue with win8 isnt performance, it ran fast... but its the UI and licensing issue thats screwed up.

Msoft and blizzard pvp balance team had something in common, fixing things that shouldn't be fixed in the first place lol.

Laptops have problems you will never see in the desktop world.  Which is why both my laptops had different issues and both were fixed by simply taking an older version of windows.  It might be the old drivers were written better and the newer drivers were just pushed out to make some fast money.  I really believe its the drivers that cause the problems.  Your example has something to do with the oem key which is in the bios.  That key wasn't programmed properly so it kept defaulting windows.  And there's almost nothing you can do about it.

Are you onto something or just on something?
  • HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

Honestly, when i first had to use windows 8.1 on my new laptop, i hated it with an unbridled passion.  With a couple *hacks* (programs that bring the classic start bar back, etc).  You can pretty heavily minimize the bad parts of windows 8.1

The only thing that really bothers me is their insistence on removing Aero from the OS at a very basic level.  You can still enable it properly but you have to have some coding knowledge and be willing to screw with a bunch of stuff.

Outside of that Windows 8 = Windows 7.  They're the same basic OS, 90% of it overlaps and the stuff that doesnt is relatively minor.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

Laptops have problems you will never see in the desktop world.  Which is why both my laptops had different issues and both were fixed by simply taking an older version of windows.  It might be the old drivers were written better and the newer drivers were just pushed out to make some fast money.  I really believe its the drivers that cause the problems.  Your example has something to do with the oem key which is in the bios.  That key wasn't programmed properly so it kept defaulting windows.  And there's almost nothing you can do about it.

What money do companies get from pushing drivers for a new OS? What hardware are you using that had so many issues? Seriously, everything you bring up is cryptic and generic, please, give a concrete example of a problem you had with details.

• holyneoholyneo Member UncommonPosts: 154
    edited August 2016
    :(
    Post edited by holyneo on
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Hrimnir

Honestly, when i first had to use windows 8.1 on my new laptop, i hated it with an unbridled passion.  With a couple *hacks* (programs that bring the classic start bar back, etc).  You can pretty heavily minimize the bad parts of windows 8.1

The only thing that really bothers me is their insistence on removing Aero from the OS at a very basic level.  You can still enable it properly but you have to have some coding knowledge and be willing to screw with a bunch of stuff.

Outside of that Windows 8 = Windows 7.  They're the same basic OS, 90% of it overlaps and the stuff that doesnt is relatively minor.

Which is something that the average user is unable to do, which is part of the problem, the accusation often laid at the feet of OS's like Ubuntu etc, is that its claimed that they are too complicated for the average user to get to grips with, but the problem is, is that you can level a lot of the same accusations at Win 8, for people who have been using the previous incarnations of Windows, they added more steps in doing even the simplest things, and the work around of trying to remember hot key combinations is probably the least useful advice ever given, the average person just wasn't comfortable with it, and probably never would be, mouse clicks are the default and preferred interface control method. Windows 10 returns to the Windows 7 interface, with good reason, but, from the look of things, users will be able to optionally add various things to that interface, which is probably a step forward, trying to force things on people never did work well, but make it an option and people often will adopt them, gradually, Win 8's problem was that it forced people to hit the ground running when all they wanted to do was talk a gentle stroll.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2918880/Microsoft-set-Windows-10-tomorrow-run-phone-TV-welcome-return-start-menu.html

So with Win 10 releasing this year, the real question won't be whether people use Win 8 or not, the OS had such a low take up that its likely that most will probably upgrade anyway, but whether Win 7 users will make the leap, it might take a while, probably till after the first service pack is released, but if it develops the way it looks to be, there is a fair possibility that Win 10 might be enough to give them the incentive to make that leap.image

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Phry

Which is something that the average user is unable to do, which is part of the problem, the accusation often laid at the feet of OS's like Ubuntu etc, is that its claimed that they are too complicated for the average user to get to grips with, but the problem is, is that you can level a lot of the same accusations at Win 8, for people who have been using the previous incarnations of Windows, they added more steps in doing even the simplest things, and the work around of trying to remember hot key combinations is probably the least useful advice ever given, the average person just wasn't comfortable with it, and probably never would be, mouse clicks are the default and preferred interface control method. Windows 10 returns to the Windows 7 interface, with good reason, but, from the look of things, users will be able to optionally add various things to that interface, which is probably a step forward, trying to force things on people never did work well, but make it an option and people often will adopt them, gradually, Win 8's problem was that it forced people to hit the ground running when all they wanted to do was talk a gentle stroll.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2918880/Microsoft-set-Windows-10-tomorrow-run-phone-TV-welcome-return-start-menu.html

So with Win 10 releasing this year, the real question won't be whether people use Win 8 or not, the OS had such a low take up that its likely that most will probably upgrade anyway, but whether Win 7 users will make the leap, it might take a while, probably till after the first service pack is released, but if it develops the way it looks to be, there is a fair possibility that Win 10 might be enough to give them the incentive to make that leap.image

Maybe the reason MIcrosoft changed a few things was because of all the people who were complaining that Windows hasn't evolved much.

I think the problem with the Windows 8 interface is it assumed it was being used by people who were not braindead. I mean look at the outcry of the removing ot the start button to go to the start screen. People did not know how to do it. I mean what does that little button with a windows logo do? Many other examples but people were just using the operating system in an efficient way or had very basic knowledge so Microsoft changed 1 basic thing and everyone was QQ-ing all day.

There was nothing wrong with Windows 8. Removing Aero actually improved performance. I never read a well argumented post from someone who says that Windows 7 is superior. They never say why. They are just like "Windows 7 best thing evaaah braaa".

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• SignexSignex Member UncommonPosts: 318

I went back to Windows 7 for the same reason, it just felt slow.

And i got a pretty beefy PC, except i don't got a SSD anymore.

Windows 8 is just fine if you have a SSD, my previous rig had one.

Now i got Windows running off a 150gb Raptor.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D - Gigabyte Aorus RTX 3080 10G Master - 16GB RAM
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by fivoroth

Maybe the reason MIcrosoft changed a few things was because of all the people who were complaining that Windows hasn't evolved much.

I think the problem with the Windows 8 interface is it assumed it was being used by people who were not braindead. I mean look at the outcry of the removing ot the start button to go to the start screen. People did not know how to do it. I mean what does that little button with a windows logo do? Many other examples but people were just using the operating system in an efficient way or had very basic knowledge so Microsoft changed 1 basic thing and everyone was QQ-ing all day.

There was nothing wrong with Windows 8. Removing Aero actually improved performance. I never read a well argumented post from someone who says that Windows 7 is superior. They never say why. They are just like "Windows 7 best thing evaaah braaa".

Windows 7 saved Microsoft in the advent of the whole Vista debacle, and also when Win 8 went hideously wrong, seriously, Win 8 is less popular than Vista was, you may not agree, but thats how it is. Its also why Win 7 is the most popular OS in the world, and why XP, as old as it is, is still the second most popular, meanwhile, WIn 8 is competing with Mac OSX and Linux in terms of popularity, see, thats why Microsoft is making such a big thing about Win 10, Win 8 is the horse that didn't make it out of the starting gate, when even a 3 legged horse like XP is already half way round the race track, and Win 7,  finished the race and has kicked back in the stands and enjoying a soda.

The problem really is that while Win 7 might not be perfect, its better than the current alternatives, why else would Microsoft go back to Win 7, if this was not the case. The hurdle now for Microsoft, is to make the case that 10 has enough positive features that upgrading from 7 becomes a no brainer, and that is a tough sell, because they designed 7 a little too well, and improving on it, not an easy thing to do, which is why although Win 8 had much the same capabilities of Win 7, it had too many 'gimmicks' tacked on, with an interface that was far from user friendly, desktop users don't need or want a smartphone interface on their PC, and Metro interface was just that, with a heavy emphasis on the windows store, an in your face, buy an app today approach that would probably have made Zinga green with envy.

So Win 10, will still have the windows store, but hopefully it won't be as 'in your face' as Win 8/8.1 made it. There have been many articulate posts about why Windows 7 is perceived to be superior, and it really boils down to a few simple factors, the first being, 'it works' the OS can pretty much handle everything modern games throw at it, and well, and secondly, and perhaps most important, its 'User Friendly' no additional training is required, if you've been using PC's for any length of time, then you can jump right in to using Win 7 without issue, and thirdly, there is no issue with using third party software, particularly antivirus and firewalls, not to mention browser choices, Microsoft, has never been all that good at securing their OS's and windows firewall has always been a joke waiting for a punchline. But the real answer to why Win 7 is better than Win 8, is probably Win 10.image

Originally posted by fivoroth

Windows 7 saved Microsoft in the advent of the whole Vista debacle, and also when Win 8 went hideously wrong, seriously, Win 8 is less popular than Vista was, you may not agree, but thats how it is. Its also why Win 7 is the most popular OS in the world, and why XP, as old as it is, is still the second most popular, meanwhile, WIn 8 is competing with Mac OSX and Linux in terms of popularity, see, thats why Microsoft is making such a big thing about Win 10, Win 8 is the horse that didn't make it out of the starting gate, when even a 3 legged horse like XP is already half way round the race track, and Win 7,  finished the race and has kicked back in the stands and enjoying a soda.

The problem really is that while Win 7 might not be perfect, its better than the current alternatives, why else would Microsoft go back to Win 7, if this was not the case. The hurdle now for Microsoft, is to make the case that 10 has enough positive features that upgrading from 7 becomes a no brainer, and that is a tough sell, because they designed 7 a little too well, and improving on it, not an easy thing to do, which is why although Win 8 had much the same capabilities of Win 7, it had too many 'gimmicks' tacked on, with an interface that was far from user friendly, desktop users don't need or want a smartphone interface on their PC, and Metro interface was just that, with a heavy emphasis on the windows store, an in your face, buy an app today approach that would probably have made Zinga green with envy.

So Win 10, will still have the windows store, but hopefully it won't be as 'in your face' as Win 8/8.1 made it. There have been many articulate posts about why Windows 7 is perceived to be superior, and it really boils down to a few simple factors, the first being, 'it works' the OS can pretty much handle everything modern games throw at it, and well, and secondly, and perhaps most important, its 'User Friendly' no additional training is required, if you've been using PC's for any length of time, then you can jump right in to using Win 7 without issue, and thirdly, there is no issue with using third party software, particularly antivirus and firewalls, not to mention browser choices, Microsoft, has never been all that good at securing their OS's and windows firewall has always been a joke waiting for a punchline. But the real answer to why Win 7 is better than Win 8, is probably Win 10.image

Windows 8 does everything that Windows 7 does and has a lot more. Metro interface was completely made optional for everyone. At the moment the only difference between Windows 7 is that Windows 7 has a small programme menu when you click START whereas Windows 8 gives you 4-5 options. One of the options is almost identical to a list of programmes. But you get tons more customisation. People always talk about tons of gimmicks (e.g. your post too) but only ever list the start menu which can be made identical to the Windows 7 menu with a few clicks. AT the moment if I click Start, I can see a huge menu with all my programmes. I can customise that by sorting them in whatever order I want or customise how I want to appear. Windows 7 doesn't do that. You either like the programme list or you don't. Windows 8 is very user friendly in its current iteration. Anyone can use it with 0 training.

Bottom line is that everyone is crying that there are too many flaws with Windows 8 but there is only 1 thing people had an issue with - the start menu. This was changed and redesigned almost a year ago. Yet people still dismiss Windows 8 as horrible for 1 feature which they tried 2 years ago.

Also saying that Windows 7 works just fine means nothing. WIndows 8 works just fine too. Unfortunately it's attracting a lot of hate from people who never even used it most likely.

Things which Windows 8 can do that Windows 7 can't:

* Cloud integration

* Having multiple options for the Start Menu

* Apps from Windows Store. Some of them are awesome.

* Touchscreen - a lot of people have touchscreen functionality on their laptops in addition to them being regular laptops

* Better performance due to getting rid of Aero

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Originally posted by skeaser

What money do companies get from pushing drivers for a new OS? What hardware are you using that had so many issues? Seriously, everything you bring up is cryptic and generic, please, give a concrete example of a problem you had with details.

I gave you a concrete example in the OP.  Ok i'll explain this a little elementary because you insisted.  Laptop companies design a lot of their inner parts.  You can't just take the motherboard from one laptop and plug it into another laptop you cant do that with the video card and the dvd drive.  They don't have a generic driver that can be downloaded.  GOTO Intel and look at their drivers.. They tell you that Laptops are different and you have to get the drivers from the manufacturer's website even though its an intel product.  Because the driver is written specifically for that laptop.  They save money by trying to use the same driver over and over or hiring a new person who doesn't have a clue on how to write the driver and they do it and there's a problem.  Time is money that's not hard to understand at all.  On this thread there are several examples of how Windows 7 fixed problems they were having.  It's not my job to make sure windows8 runs smoothly on my computer.

Are you onto something or just on something?
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Enjoy the slower operating system. Hope you enjoy the performance hit and your slower gaming and load times. 8.1 is Windows fastest OS yet. Also the security, mailware and virus protection native to 8.1 is way better. 
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Just watched the windows 10 livestream...everything is gona change.

Also, HolloLens looks very cool.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Yes OP i do not think there is any coincidence, i had the exact same issues ,however ONLY on my laptop.

So it obviously is not JUST a Windows 8 problem there is more to it than that.I have noticed Laptops tend to load up a ton more crap and services than a normal PC.I am not about to even try and figure it out,just think it has to do with a ton of crap already from win8 then add to it your laptop crap and all that Bluetooth junk and it really adds up.

I might also add one more thing,i have had slow downs like that before on PC's not related to any Windows in particular and almost nobody could figure it out,no viruses no spy ware or malware yet total slow.The answer was corrupted  Windows files,which makes total sense,so to really test any theories you had,you would need to re-install a clean version of the Windows 8 and see if it acted the same.However i still think it is just a Laptop reasoning.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Originally posted by skeaser

I gave you a concrete example in the OP.  Ok i'll explain this a little elementary because you insisted.  Laptop companies design a lot of their inner parts.  You can't just take the motherboard from one laptop and plug it into another laptop you cant do that with the video card and the dvd drive.  They don't have a generic driver that can be downloaded.  GOTO Intel and look at their drivers.. They tell you that Laptops are different and you have to get the drivers from the manufacturer's website even though its an intel product.  Because the driver is written specifically for that laptop.  They save money by trying to use the same driver over and over or hiring a new person who doesn't have a clue on how to write the driver and they do it and there's a problem.  Time is money that's not hard to understand at all.  On this thread there are several examples of how Windows 7 fixed problems they were having.  It's not my job to make sure windows8 runs smoothly on my computer.

Strange. I download all my CPU drivers from Intel and all my drivers come from Nvidia. Almost all the different drivers can be obtained from the respective part manufacturers for my laptop. Not sure what you are using?

Is there a particular reason you don't want to list the specs? Cause quite a few people asked but seem to ignore those.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

Did someone seriously just say "better performance due to removing aero"?

Aero was a joke as far as computing.  The integrated graphics in 4 generation old intel chips could run it with minimal cpu overhead.

Aero was only a performance issue back when vista first launched and a lot of pc's integrated graphics only did 2d.  You needed a basic dx9 capable card for it.  Saying aero is a performance degredation now would be like claiming running Mumble or Teampseak in the background is a performance degredation.  Its just piddly in the overall scheme of things.

The reason they got rid of aero was because of hubris, and they wanted to make the UI look more "modern" and be friendly to tablet/phone users, thus the Metro interface.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/05/microsoft-drops-aero-glass-ui-in-windows-8/

“Aero, with all its glassy, translucent goodness, is bad for battery life. Metro, meanwhile, which is flat, dull, not transparent, and only full screen, is very good for battery life. It’s predictable,” he writes.

And battery life matters much more to the on-the-go tablet or laptop user, not the always-plugged-in desktop user. According to Thurrot, Microsoft no longer cares about its traditional desktop user base and has ditched Aero in order to cater to a “mythical” tablet user.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    I am beginning to think that the OP is just trolling. It is either that or the OP is clueless when it comes to computers. If he had been talking about Vista, then he might have a case. A huge performance gain going from Windows 8 to Windows 7 is just nonsense. I am not saying that there wasn't a performance gain, but that it wasn't for the reason the OP gives. It is most likely related to bloatware.

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• Ket_VilianoKet_Viliano Member UncommonPosts: 271
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Enjoy the slower operating system. Hope you enjoy the performance hit and your slower gaming and load times. 8.1 is Windows fastest OS yet. Also the security, mailware and virus protection native to 8.1 is way better. 

This is flat out wrong.

The only performance improvement in win8 is the removal of Aero, which can be turned off in win7 anyway. As someone who used to use Enlightenment, if you know what that is, I happen to like Aero, and my desktop can run it no problem.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/disable-aero-in-windows-7/e3c1e76b-e820-4040-9eec-39caad9092b8

As for security, Windows Defender works just fine, there is no need for 3rd party virusware or firewalls. I keep Resource Monitor open on a second monitor, and watch everything that happens on my computer, pretty sure I will notice if there is anything bad going on.

If Microsoft wants to sell me Win10, then they can include an Xbox and Xbox360 emulator. Would buy in a hearbeat, I want my XBAWX on PC! They can save xbone for Win11.. er, win12, cuz win11 will suck, as usual.

XBAWX on PC is the killer app that will sell Win10.