Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Similar to EQ vanilla?

slowpoke68slowpoke68 Member UncommonPosts: 541

Wondering how close the gameplay in PG is too vanilla EQ?  Specifically as to difficulty, grouping, game mechanics etc.

Interesting looking game, but the graphics look pre-EQ.  Having a hard time with that.

Thanks.

Comments

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Sadly the game looks worse then EQ Classic atm. I commend him for solo designing the game but if he doesn't get some major help quick it will all be in vain. Being worse then EQ 1999 doesn't get you any points with the sandbox crowd.
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,881
    No, it's really nothing like EQ. It shares many more qualities with Asheron's Call.
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

• DMKanoDMKano Member LegendaryPosts: 21,683
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    No, it's really nothing like EQ. It shares many more qualities with Asheron's Call.

Agree 100%

• zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,795
    To bad that turbine throwing asheron call out the window, as still rich game with tons content, just need work to meet up with the times.
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,420

The lead developer and possibly only developer worked on Asheron's Call. 

Looks are really subjective. In my eyes I think this looks better than EQ but obviously many don't. 

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,516

Graphics are not nearly as old looking as EQ (I loved EQ and its art look at the time).  Everything is higher res, higher level of detail, more polygons, so your only gripe could really be the art choices which is subjective.

Personally I couldn't care less about what it looks like.  To me as long as a game isn't painfully awkward looking and movement and animations are somewhat fluid, I'm sold.  I mean I still play old Everquest and I think anything on par with that or better is all that I need personally.  I'm far more concerned with game mechanics and designing the game for multiplayer, and not as a single player game like 99% of modern MMOs.  If they can make the world dangerous and rewarding, I'd gladly give it a spin.

• Xaaz23Xaaz23 Member UncommonPosts: 24
    Started playing last week after seeing the video on this site. I must say it grabbed my attention and sucked me in. The community is fantastic. The graphics are not even noticeable after a few hours. The game has a lot of depth to it and will not hold your hand. If you like an arrow pointing you where to go, stay away. If you like immersive, in depth games that encourage you to group and share, hop on in.
  • krondinkrondin Member UncommonPosts: 106

Great Game!  

PS: if Graphics < high end newest stuff > is your ONLY reason to play a game instead of its content then Project Gorgon won't be for you. If you love to Feel Great while playing a fantasy mmo, then it is  for you!

I Highly Recommend Project Gorgon!

• MendelMendel Member EpicPosts: 3,429

I will agree with the idea that Asheron's Call is a better match than EQ.

I don't think that Project Gorgon is going to be successful.  The player-base is miniscule, at best.  The largest number of players I've seen online is easily under 100 (62, but I may have misremembered that), with 22-27 being much more the norm.  The everyone can get every skill design decisions undercuts the need to rely on others.  The UI, particularly the grouping mechanics and chat functions, were abysmal -- they were too clunky even for an in-house alpha, and the developers felt confident enough to show this system to this public.  That tells me that either they didn't think this was important, or that the developers wanted to move on to something 'new' rather than finish the current product.  The use of 'placeholder' systems and mechanics as already in rampant use in PG means that there is still massive amounts of work still needed.

Ultimately, Project Gorgon is a single player game, set in a persistent, shared world.  It may eventually develop into something interesting, but it's not really close, for me.  Based on the product that I played (Oct-Nov 2014), I simply couldn't recommend it.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• Cramit845Cramit845 Member UncommonPosts: 395

I really enjoyed my time in Project Gorgon and still suggest it to folks as an up and coming game.  However doing the quests for reputation took a lot out of me and made it feel like a quest grind.  I also grabbed all of them at once, so probably more my play style.  Overall I like the vision for the game and the current iteration or at least the one I experienced a couple months back was fun but still in need of a lot of work.  I did some youtube videos on it and really think it is a game that people should try out.  I love the skill based play style for sure but again almost every aspect needs work.

The "questiness" of the rep grind and the lack luster grouping UI was the down fall for me.  It just didn't hold me in the long run, I still recommend it and suggest folks who like the old school games to give it a shot.  I hope it does well and hopefully gets the TLC it desperately needs, but with 2 failed kickstarters, if it does get the TLC, it will take quite a lot of time.

• slowpoke68slowpoke68 Member UncommonPosts: 541
    Thanks for the feedback guys.  At some point I will check this out.
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 2,537
    Could be ascii and I'd still play it.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• SilvonisSilvonis Member CommonPosts: 5
    We are in early alpha and we have a lot of things planned for Project Gorgon. If the early alpha is not for you that's understandable, but hopefully you'll check back in the future and give it a try when it's further along the development process.
  • LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 403

Lots of questions from casual soloer, PvE fan (and pvP hater) looking for somethinjg other than Istaria and Lotro. I.e. to replace Lotro with something.

And so it goes. Please forgive me if questions sounds silly.

1. Typically - how do I level up? Quests (like in Lotro), mindless slaying of grulets/rats/whatsoever like in Istaria?
    2. Number of game-given quests - low, high...?
    3. Race. Does it give something to me? Like in Lotro - Hobbits can be burglars and are sneaky etc.
    4. Housing: does it have one?
    5. PvP: can I be attacked by someone higher by 30 levels just because big guy wants to kill noob?
    6. Is there a build similar to Lotro's Minstrel: powerfull ranged AoE magic user, capable of powerfull self-heals?
    7. What about in-game income? Is it easy to earn in  game coins or a hard work?
    8. Crafting. As far as I understood, there are lots of schools, but the deepier you go, the more expensive it is. if I am to pick one school - what would be the best for soloer, posisbly - local Minstrel type?
    9. Skills. What skills are crucial for Minstrel-type toon?
    10. What equipment is crucial for Minstyrel-type toon?
  • GiffenGiffen Member UncommonPosts: 276

I played Project Gorgon for a very brief time.  It is far too undeveloped to really be considered a game.  Now if this is a college class project for one developer then it isn't bad for that, but if it's meant to be a commercial product to compete in the market then it's completely laughable.

Play it and you will believe there is only one dev working on it.