Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] H1Z1: 5 Tips for Surviving the Apocalypse

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The zombie survival genre has grown to become something decidedly different from anything else in the industry. With a combination of elements from several different existing conventions, zombie survival games have worked out their own niche that continues to rise in popularity. It makes sense when you think about it. The exhilaration of playing, the huge consequences for dying, the desperate struggle, and of course the fear of zombies and your fellow players, all add up to create a chilling atmosphere.

Read more of David Jagneaux's The List: 5 Tips for Surviving the Apocalypse.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    When you craft a base, you're setting yourself up for failure, your base would basically be a prime hunting spot for a pvper.
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Loving the game, and I haven t spent a cent, weird hey.
  • ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709
    Originally posted by Soki123

Apart from actually paying for it you mean....

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987
    Originally posted by Battlerock
    When you craft a base, you're setting yourself up for failure, your base would basically be a prime hunting spot for a pvper.

If that's how you feel you are free to experience PvE servers.

If you want to PvP than that's exactly where the fun comes from

Originally posted by Excession
    Originally posted by Soki123

Apart from actually paying for it you mean....

Obviously that'sexactly what he ment...

Originally posted by StarI

When you craft a base, you're seOK sing yourself up for failure, your base would basically be a priirrelevant unting spot for a pvper.

OK the people that keep saying they are playing for the pve... Come on, that's just laughable, the pve is like shooting fish in a bucket, OK so every once in a while you have to outrun a bear, the zombies are irrelevant, I wish they would crank up that zombie difficulty to brutal mode already, I want to watch people get slaughtered on twitch.
    When you craft a base, you're seOK sing yourself up for failure, your base would basically be a priirrelevant unting spot for a pvper.

OK the people that keep saying they are playing for the pve... Come on, that's just laughable, the pve is like shooting fish in a bucket, OK so every once in a while you have to outrun a bear, the zombies are irrelevant, I wish they would crank up that zombie difficulty to brutal mode already, I want to watch people get slaughtered on twitch.

You don't seem to like any aspect of it so why do you even bother?

p.s. all the pve servers are full

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Ugh, a small goal should be to start killing other players randomly? Keep that shit in DayZ, please.

I would love for disputes to arise (maybe for territory control or because of verbal arguments) that lead to casualties, but to just say "start attacking players"??? GTFO.

Randomly attacking folks should be rewarded with a quick death at the hands of a group of players or zombies without careful preparation. If it isn't, the game has failed to deliver a quality experience, in my opinion.

Originally posted by StarI Originally posted by Battlerock

You don't seem to like any aspect of it so why do you even bother?

p.s. all the pve servers are full

I like the concept, I like H1Z1 fluidity right out of the gate too. I would just like to see them spice it up some more on the pve side, regular stupid zombies are boring, anyone remember the Berserker from Gears of War? How about throwing a few dozen of those out into the world, just to induce panic, as it is now, there is nothing to fear on a pve server.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    As it is now, zombie AI is working sluggishly due to server frame rate problem, and zombies are much more scarce than they should be.

Add in packs of roamers, increased density in neighborhood/commercial areas, and zombie spawns inside rooms (with actual doors instead of just archways and doorways), and things will become more interesting.

SOE should take a day to all play Project Zomboid for 8 hours and then get back to work improving H1Z1. That would make the game much more interesting, increase the depth, and create much more fun.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Originally posted by MadFrenchie
    zombie spawns inside rooms (with actual doors instead of just archways and doorways), and things will become more interesting.

What do you mean by this?

Zombies can spawn in the same room you are? If yes, that is bad not interesting.

WarZ/Infestation has the same thing which is bad not good. After you clear a room, zombies shouldn't be able to respawn if you are in the room, else you have no time to rest/loot in peace.

• volttvoltt Member UncommonPosts: 432
    they have said because of the framerate bug that zombies have been set to easy mode. New patch coming intoday i believe to fix it. Zombie behaviour will definitely change
  • delta9delta9 Member UncommonPosts: 358

Fixed the list...

5: Trust anyone but SoE

4: Raid your piggy bank

3: Learn how to call in airdrops

2: Set limits to how much you spend

1: Understand the cashshop will become even more p2w as launch gets closer

Or really the one and only tip needed is - avoid this game, SoE yet again lie cheat and con its customers - seems they still havent learned from SWG

• WolfClawsWolfClaws Member UncommonPosts: 638

I get the intent of this article, but it is misleading.

5 Tips to survive H1Z1...

1.  Shred shirt and get branches, make Bow and arrows (since melee combat is ridiculously idiotic)

2.  Gather berries, lots of them, drop the branches and get berries, they rejuv your thirst and hunger, albeit small amounts, even after you have water bottles, you should still gather berries.

3. Go to town and find any kind of sharp weapon so you can skin hides.  To start a fire, bust open a wooden box to grab the plank and make a bow drill so you can start fired that let you cook your meat and purify your water.  In addition you need to find these items:

- Water Bottles, as many as you can carry. You will figure out when enough is enough

- Hatchet or Axe to cut down trees and use it to skin animals.

- Backpack, you have to try to find this, OR scrap metal so you can make one.

4. Now you can feed and water yourself,  you can craft.  Crafting is very very important in this game.  You can make axes, guns, explosives, shelters, chests very important.  Discovery feature is nice, but it dumbs down the crafting experience abit, but I guess with the interwebz it doesn't matter.

5. Be Alert!  Like in the article, does not matter what server you are on.  People are dicks.  They will screw you over, try to kill you (yes you can still kill people on PvE servers) and use glitches to end you.  

Hope that helps.  I should write here.

Oh, one last thing.  The game does have a way to secure your "home" that you make with a passcode enabled door.  However, right now it is WAY to easy to bring it down and on PvE servers you cannot stop them.  Not effectively anyways.  So you cannot really stockpile in the traditional sense.  It is alpha afterall.

• Cramit845Cramit845 Member UncommonPosts: 395

Well I am ABSOLUTELY loving my time in H1Z1.  I didn't plan to purchase it but after seeing my friends I visited this weekend playing, I gotta say, best $20 I spent on a game in a LONG time  Now, realize that this is my first zombie survival game.  I haven't played DayZ or 7 Days to Die or any of the rest.  So far, I love this game.  It is brutal and unforgiving and really feels like The Walking Dead kinda world.  It is absolutely Immersive, just finding your friends can be a night or 2-night ordeal.  Walking along anywhere is a hair raising challenge and even more so when you find, what could be considered, civilization.

I will say that the column is pretty spot on, although I would take some issue with the #5 bullet point.  It certainly is true that you need to be wary of every player you come up too although less so on a PVE server.  Even on a PVP server, meeting people is something you really need to do.  If you think your gonna be able to do everything you need to do to survive by yourself, your HILARIOUSLY mistaken.  It's possible, don't get me wrong, but in the end the best thing to do is find a group and most folks, even on PVP servers, are thinking the same thing.  Saying "Friendly" across the built in-voice can go a long way, especially when you HEAR the person first rather than see them.  Making a group and working together is really the best bet in this game from what I can see, at least until you have a very healthy stash of supplies.

Who said harsh death penalties and grouping games are dead and no one wants to play them?  Try H1Z1 and eat your words!

Everything else in the article I would definitely agree with.  Hoarding food is your best bet, enjoy farming blackberries forever...  It is still an alpha but so far the game is good.  The Zombies are extremely dumb but typically have a lot of HP unless you get good with your bow.  (Headshot FTW)  Melee is a long drawn out process with a zombie even with a weapon like a pipe/hatchet/machete/etc.  I look forward to when they turn up the zombie amounts and create dynamic events of "hordes" of zombies moving around the world.  You can still find hordes although they are usually some where, were a lot of PVP has happened and all the player corpses have risen!

As for some of the issues brought up in the thread:

1. PVE server has purpose, that's where you can learn the game, especially recipes and discover what makes what.

2. Zombies are on easy mode/low numbers for now, gives us time to get used to it but don't underestimate them.

3. Air drops are not as P2W as some think, IMHO, they can easily be stolen and typically most in the area can hear the plane, so brings all sorts of folks to the spot, so watch your back and get in a group!

4. Grouping is king, until you have 20 clips of AR15 ammo and a AR15, try and find some folks to hang out with and work together with.  If not playing with friends, meet some other players cautiously, most players wanna do the same thing, not get in a fight and get some help, even on/especially on PVP servers.

As for Tips:

1. Find a group, I cant mention this enough.  This world is just like The Walking Dead, more people will make/help you survive, finding/meeting them is the hard part.  (in game voice is awesome, use it and know it is proximity based!)

2. Horde as many berries as you can.  You can almost find them anywhere but I like to find some off the beaten track and use it as some what a "home base" till I've got my group or find something better

3.  Cloth scraps are king, slice up zombie bodies at a chance to drop them, shred any clothing you find that you don't need! (not sure if bug, but you can shred clothing without a sharp object.  Tested and verified!)

4. Discover, Discover, Discover.  Make sure to get that torch recipe or bow drill recipe.  You need that fire!  (animal fat is awesome)

5. Get good with your bow, you can find guns but ammo (in my experience and can drop in single rounds) is at a premium!

See you in there, and be good to Cramit!

• Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    Nr one rule...dont trust LIRIK....
  • AlalalaAlalala Member UncommonPosts: 314

1. Expect hacks and cheats

2. Expect to die from a single head shot  from silenced sniper rifle 1,500 yards away

3. P2W

4. Zombies are closer to decorations then threats

5. Wonder: I already own DayZ, why did I buy this?

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    Best thing to do is to play with friends.  Nothing like seeing 3-4 people in a group walk up to your base and notice that there are about 10-15 people standing above them...they quickly run away even if they have assault rifles and stuff.  1-3 assault rifles and 10-14 bows pointed at you, make you think differently about the world :)

P.S. Stay away from Pleasant Valley...that's our town tyvm :)
    Originally posted by Gravarg

Best thing to do is to play with friends.  Nothing like seeing 3-4 people in a group walk up to your base and notice that there are about 10-15 people standing above them...they quickly run away even if they have assault rifles and stuff.  1-3 assault rifles and 10-14 bows pointed at you, make you think differently about the world :)

LOL that only happened one time, when you were daydreaming.
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

Is there any point in you people bashing the game here?

This thread is supposed to give tips for people not to keep on talking about the airdrops, and bashing the company/game.

• WolfClawsWolfClaws Member UncommonPosts: 638
    Originally posted by Bloodaxes

Is there any point in you people bashing the game here?

This thread is supposed to give tips for people not to keep on talking about the airdrops, and bashing the company/game.

Those who cannot do, teach.

Those who cannot play, bitch.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Thanks for the tips!  This game is growing on me.  Also, not everyone is out there to gank you.  I've found a lot of friendly people playing on PVP servers.
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

I would say there are two tops tips.

1. Gather berries to start with you will need them.

2. Find a crowbar its the most important tool.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by Alalala

1. Expect hacks and cheats

2. Expect to die from a single head shot  from silenced sniper rifle 1,500 yards away

3. P2W

4. Zombies are closer to decorations then threats

None of the above are true.

Originally posted by Bloodaxes

Is there any point in you people bashing the game hsurvive /p>This thread is supposed to give tips for people not to keep on talking about the airdrops, and bashing the company/game.

The nature of the game and this article lends itself to the sarcasm, does anyone really need tips on how to survive in this game.?. Here is why zombies are the great craze, instead of making better ai, just make zombies, they are expected to be brainless and in this game they will be harmless too. I watched multiple streams now, players run into a town full of zombies, the zombies don't even bother to attack.