Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Smedley on Pay to Win Airdrops

ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

http://www.reddit.com/r/h1z1/comments/2slbmc/airdrops/

"I'm going to weigh in here on this subject. We've been showing it clearly in all of the streams we have been doing. I made a point of personally doing it during last Friday's streams. We want them to be server events... so we make sure the whole server knows they're coming and I've personally been killed many times after I paid for them myself. So I fundamentally disagree with the argument. In terms of us not being honest about it - untrue to an extreme."

Comments

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995
    Originally posted by ElRenmazuo

"I'm going to weigh in here on this subject. We've been showing it clearly in all of the streams we have been doing. I made a point of personally doing it during last Friday's streams. We want them to be server events... so we make sure the whole server knows they're coming and I've personally been killed many times after I paid for them myself. So I fundamentally disagree with the argument. In terms of us not being honest about it - untrue to an extreme."

That sounds like something I would never pay for.  It's only going to end with paying customers being unhappy.  Then again, whatever... not my business to run or really concern myself with.  Game doesn't look like one I'll be interested in either, which makes it even easier to shrug my shoulders at.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Thats like 3 days old.. he has since apologized and offered refunds to anyone who wanted one.

• pantaropantaro Member RarePosts: 515

I love the logic from smedley and some of these popular streamers that if you pvp over said items it magically makes it not pay to win but if you don't it is pay to win lol I have absolutely no respect for smed,soe or these big streamers who blindly support soe while spitting in there fan bases face.

also the way smedley responds with arrogance and talks down to the fan base/customers for me is beyond unacceptable.but truth be told i'm not really surprised.

those of us who may follow eq2 or planetside,have seen them do plenty of shady business.they do with most their games.it's just more in the open now because h1z1 is the new shiny.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

I haven't played the game yet, and I'm sorta holding out. I want to have a better understanding of the game as it stands. So with these airdrops, do the items in it get added to your locker? 

Also, is H1Z1 full loot PvP? 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

Remove H1Z1 from Steam

Yep.

What a great idea, yes let's charge real money for loot crates that you might not even get loot from. Oh yea this will be awesome when we all get to pull out our credit cards for Treasure Portals in EQNext as well.

Not only is this straight up pay to win if you go to a remote location and get the crate without confrontation but it's even worse than P2W because not only can you get nothing but someone else could get everything you just paid for. Congrats on making a system worse than RNG lock boxes with the possibility of getting nothing.

I can't believe people are defending paying for something that could just as well be an innate ability with a cool down or a server wide mechanic that made the game more fun. People would flip if DayZ or Rust put in cash shops and tried to charge for air drops. Of course maybe I'm wrong and we can expect DayZ and Rust cash shops with air drops any time now...

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• vadio123vadio123 Member UncommonPosts: 593
    ahahahahahaha after all stuffs he said and happens 
  • AlalalaAlalala Member UncommonPosts: 314

Whatever slim thought I had for investing my time and money into this game vanished with the P2W features.

No real loss anyway.  H1Z1 is just Counter Strike on a big map with stuff like plants, animals, zombies, and buildings as static background pieces.   Same gank-and-grief play as any one of a dozen open-world PvP shooters.  Expect to constantly be taking head shots from snipers 1,500 yards away. Been there, done that.  Big yawn.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Its not really pay2win its pay to make a pvp and pve hotspot, the person who paid for the drop prob wont get it.

When you call it in every can hear the plane and will be able to see it in the air then when it drops loads of people just end up at the spot fighting it out. I will be surprised if people actually want to risk their cash on something like that. The air drops cana carry weapons but its rare you will have more luck finding weapons in other places.

The only possible issue I can see happening with this is that a big clan ruels the air drops.. but if there is more than one big clan then it will just lead to massive pvp fights.

Even at this stage its a lot of fun but there is still a long way to go its only the first few days of alpha.

Also H1Z1 is nothing like counter strike at all.. counterstrike is a small scale fps match game, H1Z1 will be a mmo zombie survival game with full base building and crafting.

• nomotagnomotag Member UncommonPosts: 166

I kind of like the idea in a general sense. (Maybe I am odd.) The idea that your not really buying an item, but a gameplay event sounds cool. I wonder if they are going to do others. I saw someone making a sarcastic comment that they should sell zombie hordes and well that might be a neat idea.

Oh the other hand, it's pay to win kind of. I mean you can argue that it's not because their are no guarantees, but it's this event that you have control over and your going to be able to use that to slant it to your advantage. Though I think it's mitigated by the fact that you loose all your items when you die, so you can buy an advantage, but your not going to be able to keep that advantage forever.

• BuccaneerBuccaneer Member UncommonPosts: 654
    I just think it is sad SOE have put what looks like a fun in-game event behind a paywall.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

I think they should remove them from the game, not because they are pay to win, but because people in masses are to dumb to get this is not pay 2 win but a paid event. 

1. Cant start the air drop till server is populated

2. You dont know where its going to drop

3. Spawns 10 zombies and pulls zombies from all around

4. Players see the event start long before the drop and anyone can loot the air drop

5. Take 10 seconds to loot the air drop.

6. Dont know what you will get in the air drop, may not even have guns.

This is a 50% PvE and 50% PvP event a player pays for. This is optional and no one can pay for it and know they will get a weapon. This has turned into a nerd rage with no meaning. 

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

I think they should remove them from the game, not because they are pay to win, but because people in masses are to dumb to get this is not pay 2 win but a paid event. 

4. Players see the event start long before the drop and anyone can loot the air drop

This is a 50% PvE and 50% PvP event a player pays for. This is optional and no one can pay for it and know they will get a weapon. This has turned into a nerd rage with no meaning. 

See..as long as they tell you this up front... I see no problem with SOE charging for air drops.

If it had said  "get a chance for cool stuff"  with no elaboration, then maybe it'd be a bit dubious.

In this case though...it seems like enough info is present to be able to decide if you want to put on your big boy/girl pants and fork over some cash...or just wait until someone else does and steal their shite.

Now..my question is..do air drops happen occasionally w/o someone paying for them.. even if very rarely?

• Shayyd80Shayyd80 Member Posts: 110
    Smedley and EA as well are the biggest Douches in the MMO and game front in general. I used to be a huge SOE fan during Everquest's early years. Now it's garbage after they ruined SWG.
    Originally posted by BarCrow
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

See..as long as they tell you this up front... I see no problem with SOE charging for air drops.

If it had said .".get cool stuff.".or  even "get a chance for cool stuff" then maybe it's a bit dubious.

In this case though...it seems like enough info is present to be able to decide if you want to put on your big boy/girl pants and fork over some cash...or just wait until someone else does and steal their shite.

Now..my question is..do air drops happen occasionally w/o someone paying for them.. even if very rarely?

That is a smart question thats been asked by a few and no answer has been given I can find. Also Air drops were announced back 5 months ago and people acting like its a lie no one knew about. 

http://www.vg247.com/2014/08/16/h1z1-pc-ps4-gamescom-soe-live/

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Since Smed does not have a clue in his brain,you need to ask him a few questions.

First of all what type of game is it suppose to be?An Apoc SURVIVAL game,so how is it these air ships are flying over top and everyone is in survival mode,talk about ruining immersion for sake of a money grab.

Why are people scurrying for sticks and berries and there are planes blowing up thousands of dollars in fuel costs ,,does Smed even realize he is SUPPOSE to be creating a realistic environment to allow players to carry out immersion in a RPG survival game?

You cannot make a single excuse to ruining a game's immersion for sake of cash shop,not one excuse is acceptable.I am quite sure he really does "get it" however i also believe he couldn't give two cahoonas,his ONLY goal is to make a large profit from a game that is costing them pennies to make.

Also ask him how it is possible these air ships are going to be flying overhead every minute two minutes every single day,geesh must have an entire military air battalion there ,what 500 air ships,perhaps they could just send in some of that money and man power and just rescue the people and kill those zombies with all their military power?

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Originally posted by Wizardry

Since Smed does not have a clue in his brain,you need to ask him a few questions.

First of all what type of game is it suppose to be?An Apoc SURVIVAL game,so how is it these air ships are flying over top and everyone is in survival mode,talk about ruining immersion for sake of a money grab.

Why are people scurrying for sticks and berries and there are planes blowing up thousands of dollars in fuel costs ,,does Smed even realize he is SUPPOSE to be creating a realistic environment to allow players to carry out immersion in a RPG survival game?

You cannot make a single excuse to ruining a game's immersion for sake of cash shop,not one excuse is acceptable.I am quite sure he really does "get it" however i also believe he couldn't give two cahoonas,his ONLY goal is to make a large profit from a game that is costing them pennies to make.

Also ask him how it is possible these air ships are going to be flying overhead every minute two minutes every single day,geesh must have an entire military air battalion there ,what 500 air ships,perhaps they could just send in some of that money and man power and just rescue the people and kill those zombies with all their military power?

If you cant think up a reason for air drops your not very creative. 

1. Evil corp started the zombie plague to wipe out mankind, they have the cure but for the few that still live they do air drops in the hopes the last few people left will shoot each other.

2. Some part of the gov still penned up somewhere and they are sending what little help they can.

3. Another country or group of countries have banded together to send aid. 

I could come up with a dozen more but I have work to do lol

• Cramit845Cramit845 Member UncommonPosts: 395

It's called Biofuel and it's craftable...... same thing you put in the cars....

The rest of the items dropped are all found in world......

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Have people who keep harping on this point ever watched a zombie movie? Hell in Day of the Dead (part of the franchise that started it all) the survivors themselves use a helicopter, in return of the living dead, the government nukes the town where the zombies rose.

In the walking dead helicopters are used... etc.etc.etc...

Zombies are different than a nuclear winter...

In short this point has no leg to stand on.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• cyberpunkhobocyberpunkhobo Member UncommonPosts: 71
    Originally posted by nomotag

I kind of like the idea in a general sense. (Maybe I am odd.) The idea that your not really buying an item, but a gameplay event sounds cool. I wonder if they are going to do others. I saw someone making a sarcastic comment that they should sell zombie hordes and well that might be a neat idea.

That was my impression too. I was actually thinking that I'd like to see something like this in other games. Imagine, for example, if you could pop open the cash shop and buy an item that lets you spawn a raid boss wherever you want in <insert random fantasy MMORPG here>.

The way I see it, it's like buying harmless, temporary GM powers. Considering players are always clamoring for more agency in their virtual worlds, I'm kind of disappointed to see so many respond so disapprovingly just because there happens to be a price tag attached. Could airdrops have been implemented a little better? Sure. But they're not a particularly bad idea.

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001

There is already a thread on this.

Originally posted by Telondariel

There is already a thread on this.

Just one? lol

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181
    Originally posted by Caldrin

Its not really pay2win its pay to make a pvp and pve hotspot, the person who paid for the drop prob wont get it.

When you call it in every can hear the plane and will be able to see it in the air then when it drops loads of people just end up at the spot fighting it out. I will be surprised if people actually want to risk their cash on something like that. The air drops cana carry weapons but its rare you will have more luck finding weapons in other places.

The only possible issue I can see happening with this is that a big clan ruels the air drops.. but if there is more than one big clan then it will just lead to massive pvp fights.

Even at this stage its a lot of fun but there is still a long way to go its only the first few days of alpha.

Also H1Z1 is nothing like counter strike at all.. counterstrike is a small scale fps match game, H1Z1 will be a mmo zombie survival game with full base building and crafting.

I'm glad someone else gets this. I keep trying to explain that it's more pay at a chance to get something or maybe end up murdered. 

That said, I think it's a bad idea to sell the drops because the risk means I wouldn't ever buy one.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

I cant believe people are biting onto the " It isnt P2W its pay for an event! ".. That is extremely ignorant. What is next? Pay a dollar to swing a bat? Pay a dollar to turn the safety off on a gun? 

If it is an event then make it an event that happens naturally in the game. If it is a cash shop item then make it a cash shop item. That simple.

Selling an item for real money that a player may not even receive is sleazy. 

Imagine going to a grand opening of pastry store and making a purchase only for the employee to toss it up for grabs. Dont win the scrum? You are out your purchase and your cash. Would you be happy about it? Would you be happy about it if they said " We call that our pastry EVENT! " . Does that make it better? How long do you think that store would stay in business?

Gamers are becoming the most ignorant bunch on the planet.

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620
    Welcome to free to play. That's what people wanted.
  • sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Wasn't there already a thread on this a few days ago we all argued on.