Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shadow of Revan: Initial Impressions

I haven't gotten that far into SoR yet (stupid workdays!), but I've been pleasantly surprised by it, here are some of the good things that I've already come across of:

1) Talking Companions: Probably the most pleasant surprise so far; I practically squealed with delight when the intro played and a bunch of companions had voices again, unlike during the Rise of the Hutt Cartel intro. They also make remarks while traveling, and occasionally during cutscenes - the latter mostly during the unique class quest that every class gets.

2) The Class Quest: I'm very happy to be able to debunk the rumor that the "one class quest" was just going to be a unique introduction, like so many people were claiming. It is a full mission in every way, one that happened when I was a few hours into the first planet for my bountyhunter (no idea if everyone gets it there, or whether some classes will get it on Yavin IV). It also ties in very nicely with the events of the original class stories. So, I'm very happy with that, and looking forward to more of them next year.

3) Rishi's gorgeous! A lush tropical paradise with a lot of new artwork and mobs, rather than just facing reskinned enemies.

Edit: While I'm at it anyway, I'm also rather happy with the way the new dailies are granted. No more stupid datapad to read, you click an NPC, he talks to you and gives you some brief info while a quest window pops up for you to accept or decline the quest. (So no cut scenes for the dailies, so no need for spacebarring when you do the quest for the umpteenth time).

All in all a lot of things got streamlined and hybridized. They seem to have learned a lot about their playerbase over the last couple of years.

That's it for now, I'll likely update it as I go along. But for now... back to playing!

Feel free to share your own opinions, but please be mindful of spoilers!

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

Comments

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130

1. Dots, Dots and more DOTS in pvp with noway to cleanse them now for some classes... Now I have to depend on a healer actually joining my group (which hardly happens) and then actually being effective.... GG on those two.

2.  They destroyed my class (Lethality  and sometimes Engy sniper)...

3.  23 page thread on Main forums talking about how people are having to re pay for skills they already learned... Have  alts? Look forward to paying 1 million per alt just to get the stuff you had before the patch.

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    Originally posted by Tinybina

1. Dots, Dots and more DOTS in pvp with noway to cleanse them now for some classes... Now I have to depend on a healer actually joining my group (which hardly happens) and then actually being effective.... GG on those two.

3.  23 page thread on Main forums talking about how people are having to re pay for skills they already learned... Have  alts? Look forward to paying 1 million per alt just to get the stuff you had before the patch.

1. Bring a healer with a pre-made. Random grouping is random.

2. Subjective. Operative got hit with massive changes. Those adapting to changes realize the dps side is indeed more powerful. Balance issues will occur with such a system change. No matter what your complaint is a sniper has not even come close to the length of issues some other classes have had to live with.

3. As of Dec. 9 2014 all skills are free for everyone.

You stay sassy!

• CalgorCalgor Member Posts: 106

DOTs? TK/Lightning is where its at lol. After 3 years of being a stationary and casting turret I am a constantly on the move, full on face wrecking machine.

As far as paying for skills they removed the learning cost for skills from the game completely, sure no refund for those of us that already blew a mil getting from 55-60 (we won't mention how much from 1-55) but creds earned thru lvling covered a good chunk of that anyway and who cares cause I still have 11 more toons to level and I am going to make bank now that I get to keep all those creds instead of giving them to my holo hut statue lol.

Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade

I haven't gotten that far into SoR yet (stupid workdays!), but I've been pleasantly surprised by it, here are some of the good things that I've already come across of:

1) Talking Companions: Probably the most pleasant surprise so far; I practically squealed with delight when the intro played and a bunch of companions had voices again, unlike during the Rise of the Hutt Cartel intro. They also make remarks while traveling, and occasionally during cutscenes - the latter mostly during the unique class quest that every class gets.

2) The Class Quest: I'm very happy to be able to debunk the rumor that the "one class quest" was just going to be a unique introduction, like so many people were claiming. It is a full mission in every way, one that happened when I was a few hours into the first planet for my bountyhunter (no idea if everyone gets it there, or whether some classes will get it on Yavin IV). It also ties in very nicely with the events of the original class stories. So, I'm very happy with that, and looking forward to more of them next year.

3) Rishi's gorgeous! A lush tropical paradise with a lot of new artwork and mobs, rather than just facing reskinned enemies.

Edit: While I'm at it anyway, I'm also rather happy with the way the new dailies are granted. No more stupid datapad to read, you click an NPC, he talks to you and gives you some brief info while a quest window pops up for you to accept or decline the quest. (So no cut scenes for the dailies, so no need for spacebarring when you do the quest for the umpteenth time).

All in all a lot of things got streamlined and hybridized. They seem to have learned a lot about their playerbase over the last couple of years.

That's it for now, I'll likely update it as I go along. But for now... back to playing!

Feel free to share your own opinions, but please be mindful of spoilers!

I agree with everything you posted. I was a little disapointed at first that the secondary quest givers didn't have their own cut scenes but then I got to the dailies and realized once you've seen Random Joe give you his schpeel about finding his lost speeder parts once do you really need to see it again and again?

Plus the story is once again top notch with even a class quest thrown in as icing on the cake. I have done 3 of the class quests (Consular, Knight, and Bounty Hunter) so far and each of them has been spot on as far as keeping with the feel and role your characters plays in the story. I figured once Makeb hit that would be the type of storytelling we'd get from then on out, and while it wasn't bad, it certainly wasn't as good as what you went thru to hit 50 in the first place.

I am very happy with this expansion overall and very, very happy with the return to A+ storytelling.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Originally posted by Tamanous

Yep... glad of that, but it came as a surprise when it went from being free to being charged for it.  Blew through 200k(alot of creds for a casual like me) before I realized they turned costs on again.

Glad they turned it back off, but I'm missing that money, which I really needed to beef up my companion's gear.  My healer is still running around with a 94 item level blaster...

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    Originally posted by Robsolf

Yep... glad of that, but it came as a surprise when it went from being free to being charged for it.  Blew through 200k(alot of creds for a casual like me) before I realized they turned costs on again.

Glad they turned it back off, but I'm missing that money, which I really needed to beef up my companion's gear.  My healer is still running around with a 94 item level blaster...

I still sucked some costs pre-60 but luckily held off and saved a ton at level cap ... then forgot to train for an extra day and self-nerfed myself in a few flashpoints. lol

You stay sassy!

The quest that takes you to Rishi gives as a reward your choice of any legacy bound 192 main hand weapon specifically for your companions and there is a 3 part quest on the island that rewards you with a legacy bound 192 offhand weapon for your companions. Not to mention on fleet there are lvl 55 Barrels, Mods, and Enhancements that are item lvl 172 for like 10 Basic tokens each.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Originally posted by Calgor

The quest that takes you to Rishi gives as a reward your choice of any legacy bound 192 main hand weapon specifically for your companions and there is a 3 part quest on the island that rewards you with a legacy bound 192 offhand weapon for your companions. Not to mention on fleet there are lvl 55 Barrels, Mods, and Enhancements that are item lvl 172 for like 10 Basic tokens each.

All that and my commendation collection was spent on another companion, and partially on my healer.  But thanks for the advice!

I'm just saying, when you start spending resources in an MMO, it's good that they be consistent.  I suspect that the training cost coming back was unintended.  But it still had consequences, and while 200k might not be much to a vet, it cleaned me out.

Edit:  Imagine your IP abruptly charging you per hour like AOL circa '95, without notice, and you'll get my meaning.  Thankfully, I just lost "play money".

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791

All that and my commendation collection was spent on another companion, and partially on my healer.  But thanks for the advice!

I'm just saying, when you start spending resources in an MMO, it's good that they be consistent.  I suspect that the training cost coming back was unintended.  But it still had consequences, and while 200k might not be much to a vet, it cleaned me out.

Edit:  Imagine your IP abruptly charging you per hour like AOL circa '95, without notice, and you'll get my meaning.  Thankfully, I just lost "play money".

It also gives you 297 basic comms free , which might help you towards some of that 172 gear.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• Proximo521Proximo521 Member UncommonPosts: 283
    I was thoroughly surprised. I did not expect to have that much fun. That said, had my stupid butt found the data pad on the table after doing the Legend of the Rakata fight... I might not of had such a hard time getting that done. I thought that because she wasn't there that it was glitched and reset the mission. Which makes it a tactical flashpoint and I needed to have someones help to get through it. Regardless, of my noob mistake I was able to get through it with my other Characters and made some serious creds just running through them again when people were asking for help. I am really enjoying the expansion and the new Basic Commendation gear! Loving the new expansion so far.

Originally posted by cura

im disappointwd. No cutscenes for secondary quests and abysmall performance is killung most fun for me. Could be good dlc but its a meh one again. Looks like we are never gonna get top quality content for swtor.

I too was disappointed there was no cutscenes for for secondary quests until I thought back about my previous play thrus and realized that once you've seen random_guy_001 talk about the thing he needs you to do once all it does is become something to spacebar thru the next 100 times you do it. Its not like they actually added anything to the storyline. Plus you get the voice acting just not the animation, so you can grab the quest and listen to what he has to say as you move on your way without having to stand and watch him talking. You almost never had anything to say back anyway, it was always he says I need X done you have some version of yes or no and thats about all there was to it.

• FlintsteenFlintsteen Member UncommonPosts: 282

Rishi and Yavin looks good.  The story isn't terrible.  I don't like that we get more or less the same quests on both factions,  and imo if you just play the story I'm fairly certain the story in SoR is shorter than the faction story we got in RotHc.

Since both factions get the same story i had hoped we wold have gotten a planetary questline too. All we got was sidequests and bonus objectives.

The size of Rishi is ok,  it's not the biggest planet ever,  but it's not bad.  Yavin is too small though imo,  and realy feel more like an Oricon type planet with lots of dayli quest.

No new binocular or seeker droid quests. Nothing other to take the place of new binocular or seeker droid quests.

I'm hoping that some content was cut from SoR to make the release deadline of December and we'll get fairly bulky patches the next months because so far I'm not that exited about SoR.  I realy don't like the idea of the republic and the empire joining forces.  Were not the same faction.  The Republic and The Empire are actually at war. 

The main reason i don't like Makeb is that it's more like lots of small islands that a planet. That at least is better in SoR,  but overall i personly think RotHc was the better expansion.

Originally posted by Flintsteen

Rishi and Yavin looks good.  The story isn't terrible.  I don't like that we get more or less the same quests on both factions,  and imo if you just play the story I'm fairly certain the story in SoR is shorter than the faction story we got in RotHc.

Since both factions get the same story i had hoped we wold have gotten a planetary questline too. All we got was sidequests and bonus objectives.

The size of Rishi is ok,  it's not the biggest planet ever,  but it's not bad.  Yavin is too small though imo,  and realy feel more like an Oricon type planet with lots of dayli quest.

No new binocular or seeker droid quests. Nothing other to take the place of new binocular or seeker droid quests.

I'm hoping that some content was cut from SoR to make the release deadline of December and we'll get fairly bulky patches the next months because so far I'm not that exited about SoR.  I realy don't like the idea of the republic and the empire joining forces.  Were not the same faction.  The Republic and The Empire are actually at war. 

The main reason i don't like Makeb is that it's more like lots of small islands that a planet. That at least is better in SoR,  but overall i personly think RotHc was the better expansion.

This was something I'm not as happy with either. RotHC had two separate storylines for each faction, but no class specific quests. In SoR we get class specific quests (which I have loved all the ones I have done so far), but both factions get the same main storyline. In RotHC the Imps saved the planet and the Pubs saved the people. In SoR both sides do the exact same thing. Who saved the people on Makeb? The Republic. Who beat Revan? Both, at the same time, in the same place. Kinda breaks the idea that their are multiple stories going on for both sides and just mushes them together.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

This was something I'm not as happy with either. RotHC had two separate storylines for each faction, but no class specific quests. In SoR we get class specific quests (which I have loved all the ones I have done so far), but both factions get the same main storyline. In RotHC the Imps saved the planet and the Pubs saved the people. In SoR both sides do the exact same thing. Who saved the people on Makeb? The Republic. Who beat Revan? Both, at the same time, in the same place. Kinda breaks the idea that their are multiple stories going on for both sides and just mushes them together.

It's something I'm a bit torn about too. I imagine with the 8 class quests it's probably not that much different when it comes to the sheer amount of content. 2 completely different playthroughs got exchanged for 8 slightly different ones. Hopefully the big plans for 2015 will balance things a bit better again, with the supposedly renewed focus on stories.

The new "hybrid" storylines are kind of an experiment anyway, to see how people react to them. (I think there's even a quote from Eric Musco somewhere on the official boards about that) And I think the reactions have been pretty good all-around.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

It's something I'm a bit torn about too. I imagine with the 8 class quests it's probably not that much different when it comes to the sheer amount of content. 2 completely different playthroughs got exchanged for 8 slightly different ones. Hopefully the big plans for 2015 will balance things a bit better again, with the supposedly renewed focus on stories.

The new "hybrid" storylines are kind of an experiment anyway, to see how people react to them. (I think there's even a quote from Eric Musco somewhere on the official boards about that) And I think the reactions have been pretty good all-around.

Ya I loved the SoR story overall, much more so than Makeb, and it kind of made sense in that for once the Republic and Empire were working together to accomplish the exact same goal, but it did break the tradition of having two (or many more) stories all going on at the same time to paint a larger picture.

WTB more class specific quests 500k pst. ;)

im disappointwd. No cutscenes for secondary quests and abysmall performance is killung most fun for me. Could be good dlc but its a meh one again. Looks like we are never gonna get top quality content for swtor.

I too was disappointed there was no cutscenes for for secondary quests until I thought back about my previous play thrus and realized that once you've seen random_guy_001 talk about the thing he needs you to do once all it does is become something to spacebar thru the next 100 times you do it. Its not like they actually added anything to the storyline. Plus you get the voice acting just not the animation, so you can grab the quest and listen to what he has to say as you move on your way without having to stand and watch him talking. You almost never had anything to say back anyway, it was always he says I need X done you have some version of yes or no and thats about all there was to it.

Still, for someone like me, who dont level multiple characters and dont grind reputation, it was 100x more immersive with cut scenes, then with what we have on Rishii and Yavin as quests. I couldnt stand all theese generic, boring two liners. For me, they could have removed this wow crap from the game and it wouldnt be any more bad. There is no way im getting my money worth out of this DLC, which they decided to design for grinding altoholics. I wont buy next one for the full price for sure but knowing life, im in mimority as usuall. $10 is all its worth to me.

Considering the Legacy system and how all the class stories show a different part of the conflict* the game is very much aimed at those "altoholics". Don't get me wrong, I kinda miss the full blown cutscenes too, but I get why they did it, and it's a vast improvement over the classic "terminal" dailies they've had on other planets up until now.

All in all I can definitely live with the hybrid approach for repeatable missions.

* Or used to at least. Maybe they'll do again in the future.

Still, for someone like me, who dont level multiple characters and dont grind reputation, it was 100x more immersive with cut scenes, then with what we have on Rishii and Yavin as quests. I couldnt stand all theese generic, boring two liners. For me, they could have removed this wow crap from the game and it wouldnt be any more bad. There is no way im getting my money worth out of this DLC, which they decided to design for grinding altoholics. I wont buy next one for the full price for sure but knowing life, im in mimority as usuall. $10 is all its worth to me.

Considering the Legacy system and how all the class stories show a different part of the conflict* the game is very much aimed at those "altoholics". Don't get me wrong, I kinda miss the full blown cutscenes too, but I get why they did it, and it's a vast improvement over the classic "terminal" dailies they've had on other planets up until now.

All in all I can definitely live with the hybrid approach for repeatable missions.

They've even made an "altoholic" out of me, and in the past I was anti-alt in most of my other games. In EQ I played for 3+ years before really starting an alt and in WoW it was almost 2 years. I had 5 max levels characters my first year in SWTOR. I now have 7 lvl 60's and 5 more sitting at 55 waiting to be leveled.

They've even made an "altoholic" out of me, and in the past I was anti-alt in most of my other games. In EQ I played for 3+ years before really starting an alt and in WoW it was almost 2 years. I had 5 max levels characters my first year in SWTOR. I now have 7 lvl 60's and 5 more sitting at 55 waiting to be leveled.

That just goes to show it's never too late to convert to The Way of the Alt! :P

That just goes to show it's never too late to convert to The Way of the Alt! :P

LOL I have 19 alts total so the Alt is definitely strong in this one. It is the stories that get you hooked, its worth playing thru all of them at least once. Plus the starter planets are a blast.

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    I just wish they would work on the combat more. Everytime i swing my lightsaber i feel let down.  I'm not a big fan of action combat but if there's one game that could use it its this one.
    Originally posted by Hariken
    I just wish they would work on the combat more. Everytime i swing my lightsaber i feel let down.  I'm not a big fan of action combat but if there's one game that could use it its this one.

Play a Sentinel or a Marauder, they are dual saber wielding, always swinging like madmen force users. What I like about the way combat is done in this is they slowed down the global cooldown a little to 1.5 seconds so animations have time to render before the next ability goes off.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    I just started leveling my Merc, and I must say, the story of this xpac is leaps and bounds better than RotHC so far. Its the little touches, like camera movement during dialog, that go a long way. Overall it feels a lot more cinamatic. I also really like how your class ties into the story. I'm not just tlaking about the class quest, but things you have done, and what you are, are mentioned at verious times throughout the main story. We will see what happens when I hit endgame, but I am plesantly suprised so far.