Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Coming back

cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

So over the last few years many of my friends have started MMOs less and less. This includes me. I toy around with GW2 every now and then but, my play time with that is really low anymore. as most of my friends lost interest months ago. Or didn't care for it  to begin with.

Well its been years since I played Age of Conan but I remember really enjoying my Herald of Xotle there, so I started talking to some friends and about 4 of us are going to go back to it. One has never played so we are all going to start over. Even though I know I will toy around with my Herald because I remember how awesome a class I used to think he was. I think I made it to around level 70 before.

So update looks really good how is the community these days? I am thinking maybe if we all get back into it, maybe it will re ignite the interest of gaming again!

Comments

• Destiny2010Destiny2010 Member UncommonPosts: 327

Better start with that with this then; welcome back!

Community is now seperated into 3 world wide servers. and there is Crom, Rage and Fury. Crom is the PvE server with the most players currently, but Fury is the most populatd PvP server. Rage is a special PvP server with some harsher ruleset, but has a low population currently I hear.

For news about the last few years, try this link (kinda old article, but many updates/news grouped in here)

http://www.ageofconan.com/news/new_content_since_launch

Feel free to ask questions here, and I`m sure others will answer.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

Yep, FC is heading towards the single server tech for a while now, so they merged the servers according the ruleset during the process. Crom, the PvE one has the largest population. The difference between the two pvp ones was detailed when the B&G ruleset was launched: http://www.ageofconan.com/news/the_blood_and_glory_pvp_ruleset

Though I guess if you plan to continue with your HoX, you'll find him/her on either Crom or Fury, depending on your original server was a PvE or a PvP one back in the days. (B&G arrived after the f2p switch, so it's fairly new)

For the friend who never played it, the base game -without the expansions- is pretty much free now (with the limits of only 2 character slots, less Trader space, and a 10 gold money cap), so a simple client download and it's good to go. For the others with previous accounts, the limits are the same (no extra boons for ex-subscribers), so if you have more than 2 characters on the account, you'll need to pick the 2 you want to play. Or you can pick an empty slot without a character, if the plan is to roll a new character and playing from the beginning.

But based on the "Freeloading mooches are the scourge of the gaming community." that's not the case :)  AoC still has the sub option, and if you subscribe, it's the same game it was before the f2p switch. You still need to buy the expansions though. And there's a cash shop, which will pop up once at every logon. And there's a stipend to the subscription which you can spend in the shop. edit: you can buy the expansions via the stipend, so after a few months you get them for "free", just by subscribing.

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    thanks all. I unlocked my Herald of Xotle, but I am thinking of rolling a conqueror or Dark Templar for a tankish type character.. not sure which one I wan to go with.
  • esty17esty17 Member UncommonPosts: 27
    I found all of the tank classes are easy to level, but conquerer than DT are faster than Guardian. Welcome back and have fun.

As esty said, welcome back :)

Based on you picked a HoX earlier from the three casters and you like to play that, I'd say go with the Templar. In AoC there's a "unique" class in all 4 archetypes, HoX is the special snowflake from the mages, a melee caster with a huge 2h sword :)

From the tanks, Guard is your bread-and-butter mmo tank (but the combo system makes it fun to play too), Conq is the "dps-tank", aggroing the whole world with massive AoE dps (can be mt too, but usually his task is to picking up the adds), that's why esty17 wrote it's the fastest for levelling, Conq is great for soloing up to the cap. One of the best melee dps and good survivability on the side.

But, at the end there's DT... a melee caster tank, with melee and spell damage, leeches and self-heals, some party heals, etc. Like the HoX it's a pretty unique class among games, great fun to play, but maybe the hardest to master. It's rewarding though, a good DT is always seeked for groups.

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188
    I've been on and off playing, still enjoying the same HoX created when game came out!

• BurntCabbageBurntCabbage Member UncommonPosts: 482

best part for me was buying the pvp stuff for my ranger off the item shop and hunting noobs at lvl 20 it was soo funny..yes i bought my stuff off of the shop and hunted noobs that did not..im that guy lol

i may log back in just to face roll some ppl  lol ..oh ya the necro type class was awsome back then too

• DeathFromAboveDeathFromAbove Member UncommonPosts: 112
    Hi guys l'm thinking of coming back too. l played Conan from 1st day. Haven't played it in over a year. I mostly play pve, last time l played l was hearing crafting was going to change. How is the market for buying armor and stuff?
  • AndistotleAndistotle Member UncommonPosts: 124

welcome back. game is great. I play it every day. some good updates and changes lately. New raid tier is coming soon now. great time to come back

Originally posted by allday88
    I played back at launch all the way past ROTGS.  I came back when it went F2P but stopped playing after i was not allowed in Khati (spelling).  How they can lock people out of somehting they paid for is crazy.  Until they lift that restriction I wont be coming back.  

can you play your WoW expansions without  beeing a sunscriber even if you have bought them? no you cant. Its like this in many games.

age of conan is not really Free to Play. Its free to try. When you get to level 80, you need to subscribe if you plan to play the game on a regular baasis. you miss out on too much as F2P. I think its a good thing. I dont like this free to play metality where players want evrything for free.
  • DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Age of Conan is still cool,the epic music and combo attack combat beats everything. wish more MMOs had combat this good. 
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    bbbrrraaaaiiiinnnsss

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• SimonShagrathSimonShagrath Member UncommonPosts: 12
    I am playing it again for the last 2 months. Game is still good, really good. Amazing atmosphere, lore, mob design and amazing music. Scenery also looks great. And love the combat and overall feel of the game. It's got that "oomph"!

First of all, nice necro Doc :)

Originally posted by SimonShagrath
    And love the combat and overall feel of the game. It's got that "oomph"!

Yep, it has oomph indeed.

(And also seems HiveLeader is a decent linguist too, besides being a toxophilite image )

• Oh.no.U_OOh.no.U_O Member UncommonPosts: 30

I have been playing AoC since launch and loved it the whole way through. even when the game was rough after starting I still enjoyed it. That was actually the best time in my opinion, so much more people running around, more pvp happening in the open world, and more grouping being done while leveling. I still enjoy the game alot but end game is a huge grind fest to get higher end gear to actually be competitive(and I hate that). I actually hate the faction grinding that came with the expansion and hate that you pretty much HAVE to do it if you want to progress onward.

Still I'm playing and trying to have fun wherever I can.

Currently Playing: Age of Conan