Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] H1Z1: Early Access and the Airdrop Madness

Comments

• rexxitorexxito Member UncommonPosts: 2
    It is not a p2w it is not a pve or pvp game its not even a game because you cannot be playing for 10 mins straight without an issue
    i know people would say its an alpha!!! But guys.. the mission here its to test the game and make it better not to test the damn server to see if it holds 50 ppl at the same time
  • TorrmwyreTorrmwyre Member UncommonPosts: 66
    The more I read his writing, the more I think that Bill doesn't actually play any of these games.
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

I am renaming the game to H3Z0.

I spent an hour in game after finally being able to get to the point of a hour an a half queu.

During said time I explored several cut and paste buildings and vehicles. Also I ran into:

1 deer that ran away when I tried to punch it for food. It didn't kill me awesome. H0D0

1 bear that attacked me when I stood in its face but stopped when I moved away. Did that 3 times bear wasted me.- H0B1

1 zombie that attacked me when my menu screen was up, hit me 3 times, I closed the menu and ran away unscathed.- H0Z0

6 players, 3 of which killed me, 2 of which killed me with ranged weapons, 1 had a gun, the other a bow which I did fine hiding behind a tree til the guy got into melee range(was like 3 feet away) and I charged him and was on him with a machete but no swing hit yet he 1 shot me point blank with a bow but my point blank melee swings did nothing).- H0H3

Its not much of a zombie survival game but more of a human survival game.

• tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

I havent played H1Z1 ...but I'm fairly certain that ...In the cashshop it will STATE that this is an AIRDROP EVENT , that will drop randomly in an area near you, and that you MAY or MAY NOT get said airdrop ..

SOE has to explain what they are SELLING in this cashshop, othervise they will end up with LOTS of angry customers, I would only buy this "event" If i thought it would be a fun way of entertaining my server for a few minutes...

Sure, many will buy this event, many will buy so many that they are to be cartain to get atleast ONE drop for themselves, just as many do with lottery ticets..But let them :)

I find it a ...rather entertaining idea, the PTW folks is paying  for an increased chance for everyone to get a lootcrate in their heads when they are out running

This idea doesn't seem to work well on PVE servers however

• wdahl66wdahl66 Member UncommonPosts: 6

Do they have a special ruleset servers that don't allow airdrops or any of the "P2W" stuff? I think if they did then people would join them servers and not complain soo much....

SeaDog

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Asheram

Its not much of a zombie survival game but more of a human survival game.

I hope this is not surprising to you - all PvP survival game are always about players killing eachother.

This is the CORE of H1Z1 (again PvE is a ruleset that IMO will fail miserably in this game - because it is so trivial to survive without having to worry about players killing you, sort of makes the game really boring after a while).

That's your opinion.

I tried to play WarZ without confronting players and still had fun eventough I had to sneak up almost everywhere which was annoying. I always joined servers with low populations to have less chance on meeting players.

If H1Z1 has a progression system (Aka leveling up) and being able to unlock passive abilities like for example, hunger degenerates slower, that is also something to do for PVE players. There also people that like to collect every weapon in the game just for the heck of it.

I did it in WarZ (Well tried) because there was no reason for the pvp players to go in farms or building areas, they always wandered near the military camps for the crates with the best weapons. I, on the other hand, enjoyed finding odd weapons like the nail gun, worker's helmet etc

They need to also add events and such of course but since this game is being claimed by SOE to be an mmo, they might add more features that DayZ doesn't have.

• Rhym3zRhym3z Member UncommonPosts: 8

Im rather impressed that the OP actually manage to write anything remotely positive about h1z1. 

You must have dug deep.

Its got to be the worst attempt at a zombie survival game since warz.

its like the archeage of zombie games. Horrific.

the p2w problems dont even bother me, its the terrible gameplay.

Its their own fault all this has happened. They gave us a really bad first impression of a hyped up

game. They shot themselves in the foot and deserved it.

I would bet good money that this will be the biggest known gaming disaster For the entire year.

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Telondariel
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by remyburke
    Originally posted by tawess

It is financially very risky with a new IP, especially if the main opposition is free to play in one way or another.

Much less risky to put the bar of entry as low as you can and use micro transactions.

Sigh....F2P and early access have made such a mess of things. 

For people who are too cheap or can't afford to pay money for the hobby. The rest of us with jobs and disposable income for our hobby don't seem to be having these angst issues.

Gaming is still available for those with limited income, cheapskates, college kids, and teenagers. It's just those of us who will spend a little on the hobby also have options now. And really, mandatory subs aren't any cheaper at $300+ a year for a single game.

I don't think there's any reason to sling mud at particular people in certain income brackets.

But, since you are.. don't you see the irony in making your statements about income barriers in a game that is F2P?  And then, almost in the same breath, complain about subscriptions?  That's ok, I'm sure you didn't.

Oh, and a minor correction on subscription costs.  The standard is $15 per month, for 12 months, so $180.  On top of that, you can normally buy 3,6 or 12 month packages for discounts, so you end up paying much less.  I'm not sure what game you play that costs a sub of $25 a month, but I'm interested in hearing it's title.

I didn't say anything about income brackets or sling mud at them.

I'm certainly not disparaging those who have limited income.

It always amazes me when people say one thing, get called on it, and 180 into full denial later. 

Oh, and a minor correction on gaming costs period: You can play this game free with no money period. You can spend money, even a lot of money. When I through out the $300 number that included the other hidden costs rental games charge, like their $80 xpacs, RMT (PLEX like system) conversion, and their cash shops. Spending $300 a year to rent access to a sub-locked game isn't unreasonable at all. Then again spending $180 isn't either, just like playing a F2P game for free isn't.

I'm not sure what mandatory sub game you play that doesn't also have some other sort of additional monetization. So please let's stop pretending it's inherently better or cheaper.

Oh I didn't say anything about better or cheaper.  I think you need to re-read what I wrote, and what you wrote.  You seem to be tying yourself into a confused knot.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Why is everyone so shocked when any f2p title becomes pay-to-win?  I don't know a single title that is not.  Of course there are varying degrees, but they all in essence sell required items to be competitive.  

It always cracks me up when people have the gall to suggest most of these items are available in the game because they are only available if you have no life and play the game 24/7.

There is no free lunch when it comes to gaming despite marketing claims.  If you are shocked that you have to pay to play the game then you are quite naive.  The problem with f2p games, it is difficult to estimate how much it will cost you.  That is why I cheer games with subscriptions, I pretty much know what that is going to cost me.  Some of the f2p games can cost you in the 100's every month, if not more.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959

So players aren't mad that the game includes crates that can make another player OP, but they are mad that they have to "share" this system with other players. So players are more "ok" with paying to win but not paying for something that makes it a community event and give a chance to all. Funny that this is the straw that breaks the camels back.

Figures, players only get mad when they have to interact in an MMORPG, the very reason this genre is dying.

I swear, gamers these days talk outta both sides of their mouths, they truely only want p2w and to be #1 with no challenge that benefits only them. The same ones that complain about p2w are probably the same ones that secretly try to get a leg up by utilizing it and get mad only simply when they have to deal with systems that encourage some form of challenge.

Says alot about todays gamers and the reason developers need to stick to their guns and build core systems that have backbone and not worry about all the mouthy complainers:

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

While i give my full opinion linked below (for the sake of efficiency)

They way a lot of people reacted to this is not acceptable behaviour... Sitting on the steam forums and keeping an eye at reddit actually made me slightly worried for my fellow man.

You... Do... Not... Threaten... People... With... Arson... over a game. No matter how unlikely you are to actually do it. Your first venue of action is not to scream bloody murder and call for the heads of developers... Especially as they have done NOTHING wrong.

It is things like this that make it so damm hard to try and explain that we in the game hobby are not a frothing hoard of social inept lunatics... =P =)

This have been a good conversation

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987
    Originally posted by tawess

While i give my full opinion linked below (for the sake of efficiency)

They way a lot of people reacted to this is not acceptable behaviour... Sitting on the steam forums and keeping an eye at reddit actually made me slightly worried for my fellow man.

You... Do... Not... Threaten... People... With... Arson... over a game. No matter how unlikely you are to actually do it. Your first venue of action is not to scream bloody murder and call for the heads of developers... Especially as they have done NOTHING wrong.

It is things like this that make it so damm hard to try and explain that we in the game hobby are not a frothing hoard of social inept lunatics... =P =)

Mentaly people haven't really changed that much in the last thousand years probably even more.

Take everything  we've created away and you'll see a lot of cavemen... Internet with anonimity and very little consequences is very  good at showing real faces.

It's fun to see how  sheep mentality too gets uncoverd in full force. If you question some people spamming crap you quickly see they have no real knowledge,  they just repeat what they read elsewhere even if completely false.

• Bluefear77Bluefear77 Member UncommonPosts: 112
    "Only another P2W Sony game." What is the other P2W Sony game?

I have faith the mechanic will be refined or completely removed. I'm looking forward to playing it and even thinking about playing on a PVE server.
  • AlalalaAlalala Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Nothing more than a big Counter Strike map.  Gank-and-grief play with plants, animals, zombies, and buildings as decorations.   Oh yeah, and it's pay to win and hacks are appearing.  So disappointed.
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Originally posted by Alalala
    Nothing more than a big Counter Strike map.  Gank-and-grief play with plants, animals, zombies, and buildings as decorations.   Oh yeah, and it's pay to win and hacks are appearing.  So disappointed.

Just out of curiosity... If we disregard the P2W part as we coul debate that one to eternity....

What was you expecting from a zombie survival game in the style of DayZ..? That put you in a emotional state of disappointed by observing a zombie survival game in the style of dayZ

Because i really like to know.

This have been a good conversation

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    Originally posted by Braindome

So players aren't mad that the game includes crates that can make another player OP, but they are mad that they have to "share" this system with other players. So players are more "ok" with paying to win but not paying for something that makes it a community event and give a chance to all. Funny that this is the straw that breaks the camels back.

Figures, players only get mad when they have to interact in an MMORPG, the very reason this genre is dying.

I swear, gamers these days talk outta both sides of their mouths, they truely only want p2w and to be #1 with no challenge that benefits only them. The same ones that complain about p2w are probably the same ones that secretly try to get a leg up by utilizing it and get mad only simply when they have to deal with systems that encourage some form of challenge.

Says alot about todays gamers and the reason developers need to stick to their guns and build core systems that have backbone and not worry about all the mouthy complainers:

No, P4F gamers are upset that they have to pay at all.  The people buying the event understand what they are buying and are happy with it.  P2W is all about cheap people crying about having to spend money at all for any damn thing, regardless of the value in game.  So long as they want it, it becomes P2W.  If the game isn’t absolutely free to them, then it is P2W and they are behind hurt.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• TheOctagonTheOctagon Member UncommonPosts: 411

This game is going to be another DayZ newby gankfest.

Games like these bring out the absolute worst in people and adding P2W will only bring about its end faster.

How desperate is Sony, a huge player in the gaming market, to actually HAVE an early access game?

And now with an proven aimbot already in the game, I feel another epic faceplant in the making...

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Originally posted by Konfess
    Originally posted by Braindome

No, P4F gamers are upset that they have to pay at all.  The people buying the event understand what they are buying and are happy with it.  P2W is all about cheap people crying about having to spend money at all for any damn thing, regardless of the value in game.  So long as they want it, it becomes P2W.  If the game isn’t absolutely free to them, then it is P2W and they are behind hurt.

What you said makes absolutely no sense at all. If you can spend 5, 20, 100 dollars on a cash shop item that gives you a advantage over other players then the game is now P2W. Being cheap has nothing to do with it. Yes I understand that just because you bought the airdrop that you are not guaranteed to get it so I guess you are paying for someone else to win. I suppose if you like doing that you might be better served giving your money to shelters or the homeless, at least then it is going to good use.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    I'm usually a sucker for buying things in the cash shop. So it is ironic that I have no interest in buying these air drops. My reason? No guarantee I'll get anything, and nothing permanent. I don't wanna buy something from the cash shop just to lose it when I die.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Kefo

If you can spend 5, 20, 100 dollars on a cash shop item that gives you a advantage over other players then the game is now P2W. Being cheap has nothing to do with it.

Kind of does.

In any sport, hobby or any competitive activity, you can invest some of your money to buy better equipment or training that will provide you some advantage. Gaming is no different - you can get an advantage with programmable mouse and keyboard, better headphones and soundcard...or ingame items

People invest into their hobby and there is nothing wrong with it when it comes to MMO.

People crying about P2W do that solely because they want everyone else spent only as much as, because they want to keep their hobby cheap, they are cheap themselves.

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Originally posted by Gdemami

If you can spend 5, 20, 100 dollars on a cash shop item that gives you a advantage over other players then the game is now P2W. Being cheap has nothing to do with it.

Kind of does.

In any sport, hobby or any competitive activity, you can invest some of your money to buy better equipment or training that will provide you some advantage. Gaming is no different - you can get an advantage with programmable mouse and keyboard, better headphones and soundcard...or ingame items

People invest into their hobby and there is nothing wrong with it when it comes to MMO.

People crying about P2W do that solely because they want everyone else spent only as much as, because they want to keep their hobby cheap, they are cheap themselves.

So say SOE adds a 100 dollar AK-47 to the cash shop. They also sell ammo for said gun at 5 dollars a pop. The gun can be found in game but it is super rare and in highly contested areas with heavy zombie populations making it a test of patience for anyone to get. The ammo is also a rare spawn and in a completely different highly contested area with heavy enemy populations. If a new player just joins the game, spawns in and proceeds to spend 200 dollars to buy the gun and 20 clips of ammo then its fine because clearly everyone else is just too cheap and not because the game is P2W?

Kind of does.

So say SOE adds a 100 dollar AK-47 to the cash shop. They also sell ammo for said gun at 5 dollars a pop. The gun can be found in game but it is super rare and in highly contested areas with heavy zombie populations making it a test of patience for anyone to get. The ammo is also a rare spawn and in a completely different highly contested area with heavy enemy populations. If a new player just joins the game, spawns in and proceeds to spend 200 dollars to buy the gun and 20 clips of ammo then its fine because clearly everyone else is just too cheap and not because the game is P2W?

Everyone knows it's P2W.  There's no point in arguing with the <1% who blindly defend the game, or it's monetization. 

My concern is what this foretells about EQN.  Not that I have any real hopes at this point that it will release in a state that will draw me to it anymore.  Rather, I see this all encompassing focus on the Cash Shop now, with a whole lot of price gouging, double dipping, and blatant P2W mechanics.  I just don't see SOE being the go-to company anymore for quality gaming.  They had EQ, and EQ2, which were great in their time.  Now?  Wow.  Such a shift to the left.  I'm really disappointed the management took the studio in this direction.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

If all people would be willing and able to afford to spent those 200 USD on the gun, there would be no "P2W" debate.

It's really that simple.

If all people would be willing and able to afford to spent those 200 USD on the gun, there would be no "P2W" debate.

It's really that simple.

You should try re-reading your posts.  You know, just to see if they make sense to you.