Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I've seen through WoD and I'm no longer impressed

1235»

Comments

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    Originally posted by mark2123
    Originally posted by Wizardry
    Originally posted by Betaguy

I've played all of WoW expansions and enjoyed them to a greater or lesser degree.  I started to enjoy WoD.  Now, I've upgraded the majority of my Garrison to level 3, except for the Menagerie and fishing shack (I don't really do either).  I feel almost compelled to log in every day and do the Garrison tasks to get my resources and the like.  I do the Apexis Crystal task and I play a couple of dungeons, which I must admit feel like they are very short compared to the dungeons of old that we used to get at the lower levels and some of the other expansions.

All in all, it seems the game is now encouraging people to do their own thing - the Garrison and the dungeons.  There are no dailies in Draenor, to speak of, so you don't really see much going on unless it's people still catching up to level 100.

The Garrison seems to be everyone's hub now, playing alone doing their thing - but I had to ask myself, "To what end?" The game is taking up people's time now, with the Garrison, and that's the key feature that people are encouraged to work at, because aside from the dungeons, that's the game now in it's entirety. You're paying your sub and dedicating time to repeat the same thing every day.  Mmm.

The questing was so fast from 90-100 and the world map seems quite small - each zone may be ok in size, but much of the space is mountains, hills and forests, so there's not really that many places to explore. 

When I think back to when WoW came out, it took an age to get to the level cap and that game costs the same as the expansions do now.  There was a whole game of things to do, level 1-60; lots and lots of zones and a wide variety of stuff.  Now you get charged the same price for a handful of zones and no new races, professions, talents, classes.  Blizzard has got lazy and they think that by giving us our own farmville (again!) that it justifies it as a game.

I know I'll get flamed for this post as people are still in honeymoon period, but I think the masses will eventually realise that doing this WoD day after day is going to get boring fast.

Just my thoughts of course.

It takes me 10 minutes to complete my menial punitive Garrison task's.  Doesn't really suggest solo.  Also the Apexis daily is a group quest if your doing the 1000 one. It's does anything but promote solo gameplay.  Invasions, need friends to help or you won't get silver or gold.  I mean, I think you need to take a better look because you couldn't be more wrong.  I could go on all day with examples but that is not my job here. 

Dailies,Garrisons have absolutely NOTHING to do with RPG gaming.Those are just more  of Blizzard's cheap way of putting together ideas to keep players coming back.You might as well put tennis courts in the game and have players in Fantasy world playing Tennis,what is the difference neither have anything to do with RPG in that Lore setting.

So how does Wow work,you are in this ancient era,the characters sit around in a pub and think ...hmm what Dungeon can we run oh idk let's check the "Dungeon finder" talk about realistic immersion .../not.How about  let's do a Garrison ,oh wait we need to do our dailies ..lmao ,it is pathetic what Blizzard does for game design and sadly others are copying it.

This is the kind of stuff i will not support,that is why i am currently not playing any mmorpg's they are all nonsense game designs.Also bringing up RECENT ideas are not what Wow was built on,it was built on players soloing 99% of the time until end game.So you can't act like "oh Wow is this great grouping game" when you spent 5 + years soloing 99% of the time before end game.If Wow players wanted grouping so bad,why were they playing Wow then,why did they stick around beyond level 5?

Quite simply, you've hit the nail on the head.  The game has gome from going out and doing stuff to achieving it all in a town to achieving it all in your Garrison, except for some 5% of it.  This is Blizzard's madness to make these types of calls and I'm hearing of people unsubbing in huge numbers.

I guess that even if they sold millions of Expacs, it's more than many games can dream of, so Blizzard are just chancing their arm now in doing as little work as possible for the subs.  If they have managed to get everyone cocooned into their Garrisons, all future content will probably be dungeons and Garrison stuff, adding in some extra pointless buildings etc.

Sad to say it but the game has changed so much that if people can call it fun to log in and do the things they could do with a blindfold on every day, how is that worth paying for each month?  Most people who have a life don't have time to raid, so it's the mundane rinse and repeat for many.

Problem is, people rant and rave about WoW, unsub... make a long speech about unsubbing on various forums... burn their cat... you name it... and then, down the road... they are right back playing WoW again.  Crap game or not... it's something to do and people desperate for something to do will play it.  And that population is far exceeded by those who play the game for years on out purely out of habit.  People focus on numbers way too much.  The fact remains, WoW is going to be around for a long time whether you like it or not, play it or not.  Flying or no flying... garrisons or no garrisons... hello kitty or no hello kitty... it's not going anywhere no matter what case you make.  People have been demanding Blizzard listen to them for 10 years now... you'd think by now they'd realize they're not being heard.

• Brisky29Brisky29 Member Posts: 65
    Originally posted by Tamanous

Most players have seen this issue for years now. Expansions rewrite content. They do not add to content. Vertical bloat is the main issue for themepark games. It is the PRIMARY reason why players quit these mmos. The content they have become used to vanishes. The game effectively shrinks because expansions are always smaller than the original game because no expansion has the budget and development time of the game at launch.

It is what destroys all mmos with vertical progression. The game simply evolves into something completely different from when it launched. It alienates the vast majority of each game's original fans. Developers twist and morph their game to current market demands of gaming (NOT the genre itself). Blizzard is the master of this and has always copied rather than originate. It is their success with this strategy that helped drive development culture in this direction. I do not blame them entirely. I blame business which drives to pull in new players from anywhere instead of nurturing the actual hobbyist community supporting the product. 

I am not sure what developers and players expect. This repeats itself through every single expansion. You now sit in a new city to queue for new dungeons for new tiers of gear. All older content is near meaningless and outside of end game progression. By installing an expansion you are adding a small amount of new content compared to what you are obliterating. It is a painfully flawed business practice by removing what players liked to do with completely untested content. 

For those still not understanding why a completely different development platform (private funding, etc) is all the new rage it is because the industry itself is failing the consumer ... not the games themselves. One merely has to look into why games are developed and released as they are to understand the fundamental failing. A hobbyist is NOT a quarterly report on current current gaming trends. A hobbyist is someone who likes a particular hobby. If that hobby reshapes into something completely different by the very developer who made it then that company loses a customer. 

Other genres are far less forgiving for this. WotC changed D&D with 4.0 into a different genre and lost ALL their core audience. They are scrambling now to regain what they lost. They may never succeed. Imagine EVE seeing their player base level off years back and decided to change the game into a themepark to tap into a larger pool of players? This could easily have happened. SWG tried to do it and failed. Turbine jumped on the themepark bandwagon and lost their core audience long ago and now are nothing more than a "Wow alternative" instead of an innovator. Many others have tried and still will try. Those developers lost touch with their core audience. 

Most other hobbies would never in a million years change their product entirely trying to attract a wider audience at the expense of their core audience but mmo developers do this often. It is time for the industry to realize mmos are not so easily integrated into their mass produced product lines dependent upon turn over. Wake ... the ... fuck ... up.

This is a pretty amazing post. One I wish every developer would keep in mind. Thanks!

• CazrielCazriel Member RarePosts: 419

I've played all of WoW expansions and enjoyed them to a greater or lesser degree.  I started to enjoy WoD.  Now, I've upgraded the majority of my Garrison to level 3, except for the Menagerie and fishing shack (I don't really do either).  I feel almost compelled to log in every day and do the Garrison tasks to get my resources and the like.  I do the Apexis Crystal task and I play a couple of dungeons, which I must admit feel like they are very short compared to the dungeons of old that we used to get at the lower levels and some of the other expansions.

All in all, it seems the game is now encouraging people to do their own thing - the Garrison and the dungeons.  There are no dailies in Draenor, to speak of, so you don't really see much going on unless it's people still catching up to level 100.

The Garrison seems to be everyone's hub now, playing alone doing their thing - but I had to ask myself, "To what end?" The game is taking up people's time now, with the Garrison, and that's the key feature that people are encouraged to work at, because aside from the dungeons, that's the game now in it's entirety. You're paying your sub and dedicating time to repeat the same thing every day.  Mmm.

The questing was so fast from 90-100 and the world map seems quite small - each zone may be ok in size, but much of the space is mountains, hills and forests, so there's not really that many places to explore. 

When I think back to when WoW came out, it took an age to get to the level cap and that game costs the same as the expansions do now.  There was a whole game of things to do, level 1-60; lots and lots of zones and a wide variety of stuff.  Now you get charged the same price for a handful of zones and no new races, professions, talents, classes.  Blizzard has got lazy and they think that by giving us our own farmville (again!) that it justifies it as a game.

I know I'll get flamed for this post as people are still in honeymoon period, but I think the masses will eventually realise that doing this WoD day after day is going to get boring fast.

Just my thoughts of course.

Yes.  Entirely.  But at the moment, I don't see a problem with that.  It's still more entertaining and has more content and is more charming than most of the other games out there.  It's like watching NCIS.  Ya, they're all getting older and some of the shtick is a little worn, but it still delivers entertainment.   And like NCIS, or any other favorite show, when WoW stops entertaining, you stop playing. 

• holyneoholyneo Member UncommonPosts: 154

I thought after reading some of the stuff on these forums, this might bring a smile to some peoples face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFwtbNPb6x8

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Oh mr 'you guys suck' how i miss you :)

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459
    Dailies,Garrisons have absolutely NOTHING to do with RPG gaming.Those are just more  of Blizzard's cheap way of putting together ideas to keep players coming back.You might as well put tennis courts in the game and have players in Fantasy world playing Tennis,what is the difference neither have anything to do with RPG in that Lore setting.

So how does Wow work,you are in this ancient era,the characters sit around in a pub and think ...hmm what Dungeon can we run oh idk let's check the "Dungeon finder" talk about realistic immersion .../not.How about  let's do a Garrison ,oh wait we need to do our dailies ..lmao ,it is pathetic what Blizzard does for game design and sadly others are copying it.

This is the kind of stuff i will not support,that is why i am currently not playing any mmorpg's they are all nonsense game designs.Also bringing up RECENT ideas are not what Wow was built on,it was built on players soloing 99% of the time until end game.So you can't act like "oh Wow is this great grouping game" when you spent 5 + years soloing 99% of the time before end game.If Wow players wanted grouping so bad,why were they playing Wow then,why did they stick around beyond level 5?

Wouldn't dailies and garrisons be the dream of RPG players? Maybe not for those that do not actually play in an RPG style, but for those who do, having your own garrison would be a dream come true.

I am really not understanding the uproar around garrisons. I spend maybe 15-20 minutes a day to cover my followers quests, open up my boxes, round up my resources, empty my mine and pick my garden, then i am off in to the open world as i normally would be. I spend just as much time in open world and major cities as i used to, but maybe that is just me.

As for other complaints, have said this many times before but you have the option to not use the features that Blizzard has added if you so choose and you can find others who think the same way. If you are can do nothing but sit on the rails and do what you think others expect you to do and not use some imagination and play the game your own way, then you are always going to find it disappointing.

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

Originally posted by Shadoed

Wouldn't dailies and garrisons be the dream of RPG players? Maybe not for those that do not actually play in an RPG style, but for those who do, having your own garrison would be a dream come true.

I am really not understanding the uproar around garrisons. I spend maybe 15-20 minutes a day to cover my followers quests, open up my boxes, round up my resources, empty my mine and pick my garden, then i am off in to the open world as i normally would be. I spend just as much time in open world and major cities as i used to, but maybe that is just me.

As for other complaints, have said this many times before but you have the option to not use the features that Blizzard has added if you so choose and you can find others who think the same way. If you are can do nothing but sit on the rails and do what you think others expect you to do and not use some imagination and play the game your own way, then you are always going to find it disappointing.

Micro managing a little town (wtf) is not role playing your avatar in a game.   Spending 15-20 minutes a day doing an activity that has got bugger all to to with an RPG is classic modern bliz design - stunningly 1 dimensional and stupid.  Most players in game could have predicted the impact on social interaction and gathering/crafting, and yet blizzard take 2 years (lol) to build this and 5 levels of content.

When you refer to people simply not using the garrisons, it has pretty much become a required factor in the economy and becoming self sufficient for raiding to the point where it has devalued activities outwith like gathering and crafting - right?

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Originally posted by Bladestrom

Micro managing a little town (wtf) is not role playing your avatar in a game.   Spending 15-20 minutes a day doing an activity that has got bugger all to to with an RPG is classic modern bliz design - stunningly 1 dimensional and stupid.  Most players in game could have predicted the impact on social interaction and gathering/crafting, and yet blizzard take 2 years (lol) to build this and 5 levels of content.

When you refer to people simply not using the garrisons, it has pretty much become a required factor in the economy and becoming self sufficient for raiding to the point where it has devalued activities outwith like gathering and crafting - right?

Remembering the days of old D&D when you had to make sure you had your feather or dust to cast your spells and cantrips, micro management was what RPG's were all about and if you play paper based RPG's of old, those little details mattered a lot. Also, having a hall to show off gathered rare items and statues of your achievements would have been a great place for a RPG player.

But that aside, who is forcing you to mine every day or pick your garden or even send your followers out on missions? It is just another option within the game along with many others that you can choose to take or leave. You want to go out and quest, fine go out and do it, you want to dungeon run or raid instead, fine, just go and do that instead. It doesn't isolate me as you still get a trade channel chat in there and i can do what i want there, drop all of my gear/loot/mats in to my banks and head off to do what i want to do for that day. Maybe because i am not a raider any more and i don't run dungeons religiously it doesn't affect me as much as some, but i really struggle to see what the big issue is here.

Have the garrisons opened up the gathering and crafting to a wider group, maybe, does that devalue it or just make it more accessible?

Remembering the days of old D&D when you had to make sure you had your feather or dust to cast your spells and cantrips, micro management was what RPG's were all about and if you play paper based RPG's of old, those little details mattered a lot. Also, having a hall to show off gathered rare items and statues of your achievements would have been a great place for a RPG player.

But that aside, who is forcing you to mine every day or pick your garden or even send your followers out on missions? It is just another option within the game along with many others that you can choose to take or leave. You want to go out and quest, fine go out and do it, you want to dungeon run or raid instead, fine, just go and do that instead. It doesn't isolate me as you still get a trade channel chat in there and i can do what i want there, drop all of my gear/loot/mats in to my banks and head off to do what i want to do for that day. Maybe because i am not a raider any more and i don't run dungeons religiously it doesn't affect me as much as some, but i really struggle to see what the big issue is here.

Forcing?  It was the core new feature of the new expansion that took 2 years of subscribers money to develop.

Have the garrisons opened up the gathering and crafting to a wider group, maybe, does that devalue it or just make it more accessible?

in 10 years I don't think anyone has ever though of crafting in WOW as inaccessible, it was simplistic as it was - but most importantly the gathering was rewarding for those that like to explore and gather.  Not so rewarding when no-one buys your stuff because they have an age of empires style resource center instant lol, but don't take my world for it, look it up on the wow forums.

Forcing?  It was the core new feature of the new expansion that took 2 years of subscribers money to develop.

in 10 years I don't think anyone has ever though of crafting in WOW as inaccessible, it was simplistic as it was - but most importantly the gathering was rewarding for those that like to explore and gather.  Not so rewarding when no-one buys your stuff because they have an age of empires style resource center instant lol, but don't take my world for it, look it up on the wow forums.

Garrisons are 'a' new feature, they are far from being the core of the game and as i said in a previous post, if you are one of those that feels they have to stick to the rails of what everyone expects them to do then you will never be satisfied with your gameplay time.

I didn't say that it was inaccessible, all i said was that it was now more accessible there is a difference. I don't need to look at the forums, i am playing the game, i can see the market live and clear and believe me crafting is alive and well and commanding decent prices.

• Shayyd80Shayyd80 Member Posts: 110

I saw through WoD abuot 2 weeks after release. It was alot of fun at first but... the fun is no longer there because at this point I've one it all within a couple months of release. After waiting what 2 years for an expansion? Seems the fun should have lasted much longer but it didn't. Sure they push out new raids and such but... it's just  more of the same. Has been since Cataclysm. Now they force people into keeping their subs in order to craft some gear that you won't be able to craft for a week at a time sometimes. It's all a ploy now. I see through it. 

On a side note I bought a new graphics card (radeon r9 270x) and been enjoying some single/co-op games lately. Alien:Isolation, Murdered: soul Suspect, Cal of Duty: AW, etc etc Been having fun just going back to focusing solely on well made games that don't have to have glitches and wait times and queue times. screw all that noise. 

• JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353

The "World" of Warcraft now consists of your Garrison (which is instanced) and other instances. That's it.

Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
    Originally posted by JDis25
    The "World" of Warcraft now consists of your Garrison (which is instanced) and other instances. That's it.

Say's who?

I am still out there and meeting others who are fishing, gathering, crafting, achieving, cleaning up old content, levelling, questing, etc, etc.......what has happened to game players these days?

Why are you just standing about in a garrison and instancing other stuff, there is plenty of stuff to do out there if you have the will to explore and discover, but if not, why are you playing at all?

• mark2123mark2123 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    Originally posted by JDis25

Say's who?

I am still out there and meeting others who are fishing, gathering, crafting, achieving, cleaning up old content, levelling, questing, etc, etc.......what has happened to game players these days?

Why are you just standing about in a garrison and instancing other stuff, there is plenty of stuff to do out there if you have the will to explore and discover, but if not, why are you playing at all?

You're easily pleased for someone paying a sub.  Fishing, gathering, crafting, achieving etc - all stuff you could do before WoD and nothing really added to the game aside from Dugeons and Garrison, putting you on the coveyor belt of grind again.  The landmasses that came with WoD are pretty small and boring with little replay value. 

Cleaning up old content - not what I would buy an expac for.

You are making excuses for Blizzard's taking people's money for the full cost of a game with barely the content to justify the name and then a sub to boot.  I can only imagine that a) people cannot see much out there right now to play instead and b) that they have played for too long to be able to leave.

You're easily pleased for someone paying a sub.  Fishing, gathering, crafting, achieving etc - all stuff you could do before WoD and nothing really added to the game aside from Dugeons and Garrison, putting you on the coveyor belt of grind again.  The landmasses that came with WoD are pretty small and boring with little replay value. 

Cleaning up old content - not what I would buy an expac for.

You are making excuses for Blizzard's taking people's money for the full cost of a game with barely the content to justify the name and then a sub to boot.  I can only imagine that a) people cannot see much out there right now to play instead and b) that they have played for too long to be able to leave.

Hilarious!

If i didn't enjoy the core aspects of the game i wouldn't play it and who the hell are you to judge what i should or shouldn't enjoy about the game?!?

I have no excuses for anyone, i am pointing out what i do and enjoy about the game and if you had bothered to read any other posts rather than just jumping in on one to try and make some lame ass 'sheep' post to try and run the game down you would also have known that i was extending a point about how people don't have to just play the game on rails, you can play it the way you enjoy playing it. If you had also read any of my previous posts, you would also know that i am an advocate of people leaving the game if they are not enjoying it, makes no sense to continue with something you aren't getting anything from, but i guess that doesn't apply to all....obviously.

• walterpowellwalterpowell Member Posts: 3
    WoW is an MMO staple and cult classic. I seriously doubt this game will ever lose relevance, despite whatever direction the company takes it. Sure, the evolution of the MMO genre from a (forgive me) somewhat-nerdy, niche market, to an exceedingly popular game-type, has watered down a lot of the trademark complexity of these kinds of games - but for an off-and-on player of around eight years, it's still a fun game. I could be wrong; however, I still find myself driven to see how I might improve my character. Furthermore, even when admiring the beauty of the Guild Wars 2 universe in full 2-Way SLI GTX 780 Ti glory, I still find myself longing for the sights and sounds of World of Warcraft. So that's it. My sub renews again next month. I guess I'll just keep grinding along, because, frankly it's the nostalgia and desire to do end game stuff (which I, admittedly, never seem to get around to experiencing) that brings me back. You can still see the passion among the Blizzard dev team (i.e.: the trike mount) in regards to the game, so, I'll stick around until that is gone. Could happen, but old loves die hard, so I doubt it.
  • GavyneGavyne Member UncommonPosts: 116

I've enjoyed WoD expansion.  But now that my chars are maxed and garrisons done, I was hoping to spend rest of my time enjoying PvP & Ashran.  Unfortunately most people that have tried Ashran know how messed up it is, and how it's more of a PvE quest zone than it is a PvP zone.  And PvP balance as a whole this expansion has been a mess, many of my enjoyable classes from last expansion are no longer enjoyable.  So while I feel I got enough enjoyment out of WoD and it was worth the money, it's now slowing down for me, and I don't find the drive to logon as much as say a month ago.

Lately I've been playing GW2 more just because I can get my PvP fix there and play real world PvP.  I'm not sure if patch 6.1 would change how I feel about WoW, unless they can fix Ashran, and give us a new BG or something fun to play in.

Played: EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-LOTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO-BDO
    Waiting For: CU & Vanilla WoW