Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many times have you been moderated on game forums (not these)?

JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984

Just out of curiosity how many times have you been kicked / received warning / received infringement / post or thread deleted / post or thread redirected / ip blocked (lolz) etc from gamer forums?  NOT COUNTING THESE FORUMS HERE.

Myself I have been ip blocked from two, threatened personal bodily injury from a moderator on another one, hounded/followed by moderators on three, warned idk how many times, and redirected a few.  And everything I told them would happen to their game if they didn't fix it came to pass.  Except for one, PWE, which even tho the forum moderator disagreed with me the management listened and emailed me to get me the game card I was asking for and explain the goof up was on Target's end not theirs. 

My last "warning" and post deletion came from using the naughty word "poo" to describe Xbox Gold Membership.  I'll probably get an infringement today for calling people, "commercially brainwashed masses."

How about you?  Are you a bad boy/girl on forums?

Comments

• mrneurosismrneurosis Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Never. I have been active on gaming forums since release of Anarchy Online. But then again i use official forums to discuss games and not rile people up.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Only place I have been temp banned or warned is here on MMOrpg.com and I am active on many forums. 
  • AtadisAtadis Member Posts: 56
    The only forums I've ever gotten in trouble on were the Archeage forums. Didn't really even need to be banned either, it was basically me discussing things I didn't like(in a respectable way) with other players and I got banned 3 times. So after contacting Trion and asking them why and them giving me the finger I commented and asked to be banned, and an hour later I was banned for the fourth time and haven't been back since.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    P.S. A few Months into the Live Story launch with GW2 I did start a few threads asking who liked and disliked it and no matter how civil they were, they all got deleted. Never got a warning or ban. 
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Wait, there are other gaming forums, seriously?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TheDoveTheDove Member Posts: 91

Took me that long to realize that 'feedback' is company speak for 'mindless boot licking'. :)

• sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849

I have been warned and banned a few times, I later improved and actually became a moderator for the same company. 

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130

I've been repeatedly suspended from these forums and never even warned on the five others I'm a part of. It's sad because this is a general MMO site yet the mods are more bias here then sites dedicated to a single game.

For example I could ramble all day about how terrible Vanguard was or how disappointing Landmark is but as soon as I legitimately complain about Final Fantasy XIV it's a insta ban. This has happened more then once so Bill Murphey really needs to track down these guys and relieve them of their duties.

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

I have been banned on 2 sites afaik.

One was Joystick I think. They made a news topic about games not tailoring to girls. I disagreed with it and said their topic was stupid because plenty of games are fun for everyone. 2 minutes later I was banned.

The other site was my university site, I lashed out at a teacher and told him he should help students instaed of going to the bar, I got banned and had to apologize.

Most of the time I am a relaxed person, I really don't get why they ban people on forums.

Before the internet became mainstream, and people were using 56k modems and ICQ, we had almost no mods on on forums, back then anyone could say what they wanted, you didn't even register on most forums, you just posted without registering. It was much more fun.

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    A lot on the Star Trek online boards. Me and about 100 others. Lead dev Geko doesn't like me much. Its only because i'm a big Trek fan and that game has nothing to do with Trek anymore.
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    Very very rarely on any site. Even sites where mass bans have occurred I have not been affected. The vast majority of players who bitch about getting banned/moderated are players choosing to ignore they own faults or manage their own security.

You stay sassy!

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    The vast majority of players who bitch about getting banned/moderated are players choosing to ignore they own faults

Many times moderators on sites ban people because they don't share their political views. Shadowbanning is so common on political or technology sites, unless you share their agenda, they censor people.

In some instances it is the user's fault, but often times it is not, often times it is a way to censor views that don't match those of the site you are posting on.

On gaming sites this happens less, but once politics gets involved, those same gaming sites often go on a banning spree for no reason.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    I was permanently banned from the APB forums for calling out the community manager on something.  I was quite drunk at the time so...go figure.  Since, I've kept a pretty clean record.
  • JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

Never.

• Blaze_RockerBlaze_Rocker Member UncommonPosts: 370
    I don't go to many forums and the only place I've ever had issues with was here. My posts would mysteriously vanish with no warning ever given. It made me wonder at first, then after hearing it happen to others just the same I realized it was normal for this site. Your post can be civil and clean but should it be something "they that will not be named" don't want to see - it's gone.

I've got a feevah, and the only prescription... is more cowbell.

• JoeyjojoshabaduJoeyjojoshabadu Member UncommonPosts: 162

I think if you've never been banned/moderated you're a pretty passive, boring person, not willing or capable of ever rocking the boat but OTOH if you've been banned too much you're probably just a jerk and don't know it.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    I was banned once, when a moderator misinterpreted one of my messages as admitting I was less than 10 years old. My fault, admittedly, but it was funny and got sorted out soon enough. I also got temp banned once for linking to a site with some very naughty adverts I couldn't see because of AdBlock.
  • JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    Originally posted by Scalpless
    I was banned once, when a moderator misinterpreted one of my messages as admitting I was less than 10 years old. My fault, admittedly, but it was funny and got sorted out soon enough. I also got temp banned once for linking to a site with some very naughty adverts I couldn't see because of AdBlock.

rofl

sry don't mean to make light of your pain but the AdBlock one got me

rofl again

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Originally posted by Thebeasttt

I've been repeatedly suspended from these forums and never even warned on the five others I'm a part of. It's sad because this is a general MMO site yet the mods are more bias here then sites dedicated to a single game.

For example I could ramble all day about how terrible Vanguard was or how disappointing Landmark is but as soon as I legitimately complain about Final Fantasy XIV it's a insta ban. This has happened more then once so Bill Murphey really needs to track down these guys and relieve them of their duties.

I had the same experience with FF14, I was actually quite shocked for the same reasons you mention above.

The weirdest game forum I have experienced in terms of moderation was GW2 at launch. They were so draconian it was unbelievable. Now its totally different though, you can pretty much say anything as long as you don't insult other people.

On the other hand Tera seems to have gone the other way, I used to love the Tera forums at launch, there was so much amazing heated debate with the moderators using a fairly light touch; but now the forum there is awful - it has this +/- system for posts so if you say anything critical a group of fanbois minus your thread/post and sink it- plus you get ratings next to your name like "suspicious", "hostile" etc. Its the craziest thing I have ever seen. On top of that the moderation itself has become extremely heavy handed. Its just so distasteful. The game itself is good though, which is the important thing I guess.

• makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096
    I got banned from one forum, mortal online banned me, and deleted my post. I was quitting so I didnt care. The post wasnt a rant, or rage quit. It was just my experience in the world, and why i quit. Which was basically just to many bugs. 
  • LugorsLugors Member UncommonPosts: 184
    Honestly, these forums are the only ones to have deleted my posts, and I've lurked and posted on MMO champ, the SWTOR and blizzard's forums.  The 2 or 3 I got hit on here were snarky responses to silly threads.  Mods here don't tend to care for that it seems.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    If we were realty that bad we would not be able to post here. :)
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    This is the only forum I have received two bans and several locked threads.  Only when I say something bad about WOW or post a negative thread about WOW.  Otherwise they don't mess with me.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • lupinD3rdlupinD3rd Member Posts: 13
    None, yet. Hopefully never. I'm a newbie with this kind of posting and all, but enjoying and hoping to get along with the other members.