Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

$1000 gaming computer build

124»

Comments

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by stevebombsquad

I know exactly what I am talking about. The actual FAQ states "Can I transfer the software to another computer or user?" This is the OEM build. It is the exact same thing as the "System's Builder." Look at the link and then read in the upper corner. What does it say? "Windows 8 OEM"Unless you have some other idea of what transfer means apart from what is the acceptable definition. You can transfer your rights to the license to someone else. You can transfer the license from one computer to another as long as you completely erase if from the first one. What else could you possibly mean?Strike 3....

Exception does not make the rule.

The rule is NON-TRANSFERABLE, the EXCEPTION is tranfer within the owners systems.

The exception does not defy the rule, the licence is still non-transferable. You cannot take the licence and give it to someone or sell it, and it only applies to PUL, other OEM licences do not allow the exception - ie. if you bought branded machine.

Originally posted by 13lake

Stevebombsquad is actually right and both Quizzical and Gdemami are wrong in this case and have not done their research :)

Your research was already done and linked couple posts above.

I am wondering whether you even follow the thread or just do not understand any of what was being said/linked so far...

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by Gdemami

I know exactly what I am talking about. The actual FAQ states "Can I transfer the software to another computer or user?" This is the OEM build. It is the exact same thing as the "System's Builder." Look at the link and then read in the upper corner. What does it say? "Windows 8 OEM"

Unless you have some other idea of what transfer means apart from what is the acceptable definition. You can transfer your rights to the license to someone else. You can transfer the license from one computer to another as long as you completely erase if from the first one. What else could you possibly mean?

Strike 3....

The rule is NON-TRANSFERABLE, the EXCEPTION is tranfer within the owners systems.

The exception does not defy the rule, the licence is still non-transferable. You cannot take the licence and give it to someone or sell it, and it only applies to PUL, other OEM licences do not allow the exception - ie. if you bought branded machine.    WRONG!

I will highlight it for you since you can't seem to be bothered to read the link:

"Can I transfer the software to another computer or user?  You may transfer the software to another computer that belongs to you. You may also transfer the software (together with the license) to a computer owned by someone else if a) you are the first licensed user of the software and b) the new user agrees to the terms of this agreement. To make that transfer, you must transfer the original media, the certificate of authenticity, the product key and the proof of purchase directly to that other person, without retaining any copies of the software."

That is directly from the Microsoft page concerning the user license for Windows 8 OEM. Stop telling other people to read and apply it to yourself. Follow the link I gave previously.

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

I will highlight it for you since you can't seem to be bothered to read the link:"Can I transfer the software to another computer or user?  You may transfer the software to another computer that belongs to you. You may also transfer the software (together with the license) to a computer owned by someone else if a) you are the first licensed user of the software and b) the new user agrees to the terms of this agreement. To make that transfer, you must transfer the original media, the certificate of authenticity, the product key and the proof of purchase directly to that other person, without retaining any copies of the software."That is directly from the Microsoft page concerning the user license for Windows 8 OEM. Stop telling other people to read and apply it to yourself. Follow the link I gave previously.

Yes, that is still the same exception we talk about...you need to be a first licenced user of the software.

It is just an exception to the rule that firmly states that the licence is non-transferable. The exception allows you to transfer once and no more, it is non-transferable.

I am not wrong, you are the one not following your own links and trying to pass very specific excpetions as rules.

I will highlight it for you since you can't seem to be bothered to read the link:

"Can I transfer the software to another computer or user?  You may transfer the software to another computer that belongs to you. You may also transfer the software (together with the license) to a computer owned by someone else if a) you are the first licensed user of the software and b) the new user agrees to the terms of this agreement. To make that transfer, you must transfer the original media, the certificate of authenticity, the product key and the proof of purchase directly to that other person, without retaining any copies of the software."

That is directly from the Microsoft page concerning the user license for Windows 8 OEM. Stop telling other people to read and apply it to yourself. Follow the link I gave previously.

Yes, that is still the same exception we talk about...you need to be a first licenced user of the software.

It is just an exception to the rule that firmly states that the licence is non-transferable. The exception allows you to transfer once and no more, it is non-transferable.

I am not wrong, you are the one not following your own links and trying to pass very specific excpetions as rules.

It is not just one time. It is not an exception. That is the way the user agreement is written for Windows 8. It is the rule. It is different for other versions of Windows. As much as you would like to disagree, the OEM version of Windows 8 is transferable, both to another user and to another personally owned computer. 

It is not just one time. It is not an exception. That is the way the user agreement is written for Windows 8. It is the rule. It is different for other versions of Windows. As much as you would like to disagree, the OEM version of Windows 8 is transferable, both to another user and to another personally owned computer. 

http://personaluselicense.windows.com/en-US/default.aspx

Are there things I’m not allowed to do with the software? Yes. Because the software is licensed, not sold, Microsoft reserves all rights (such as rights under intellectual property laws) not expressly granted in this agreement. In particular, this license does not give you any right to, and you may not: use or virtualize features of the software separately, publish, copy (other than the permitted backup copy), rent, lease, or lend the software; transfer the software (except as permitted by this agreement), attempt to circumvent technical protection measures in the software, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the software, except if the laws where you live permit this even when our agreement does not. In that case, you may do only what your law allows. You may not install the software as an operating system on any computer except one that you are building for your own use or as an operating system running on a local virtual machine or a separate partition. You may not install the software on a computer that is running a non-genuine Windows operating system. If you are using the software as an operating system for commercial use, you may not license more than five copies of the software for such commercial use in total (and each copy of the software must be separately licensed). When using Internet-based features or Microsoft Family Safety, you may not use those features in any way that could interfere with anyone else’s use of them, or to try to gain access to any service, data, account or network, in an unauthorized manner.

And this is the exception reference from bolded part above:

Can I transfer the software to another computer or user? You may transfer the software to another computer that belongs to you. You may also transfer the software (together with the license) to a computer owned by someone else if a) you are the first licensed user of the software and b) the new user agrees to the terms of this agreement. To make that transfer, you must transfer the original media, the certificate of authenticity, the product key and the proof of purchase directly to that other person, without retaining any copies of the software. You may use the backup copy we allow you to make or the media that the software came on to transfer the software. Anytime you transfer the software to a new computer, you must remove the software from the prior computer. You may not transfer the software to share licenses between computers. You may transfer Get Genuine Windows software, Pro Pack or Media Center Pack software only together with the licensed computer.

Again, bolded part specifying the exception being conditioned to first licensed user of the software.

• 13lake13lake Member UncommonPosts: 719

The exception does not defy the rule, the licence is still non-transferable. You cannot take the licence and give it to someone or sell it, and it only applies to PUL, other OEM licences do not allow the exception - ie. if you bought branded machine.

You actually can take the licence and give it to someone else moderately easy

edit: resell attribute was so far down the ladder in my thinking that u actually managed to confuse me and stevebombsquad for a moment there  :( 

I will quote microsoft employee again : "You may also transfer the software (together with the license) to a computer owned by someone else if a) you are the first licensed user of the software and b) the new user agrees to the terms of this agreement. "

First and foremost you have made a logical fallacy in this sentence :

"The exception allows you to transfer once and no more, it is non-transferable."

Secondly your "exception" allows you to transfer more than once, which makes your observation untrue.

Secondly your "exception" allows you to transfer more than once, which makes your observation untrue.

It does not. To transfer the licence to someone else is exceptionally permitted only if you are first licence user. Meaning that the new owener cannot further transfer the licence onto anyone else - 1 time deal.

Those are only exceptions, the rule of non-transferable still applies.

It does not. To transfer the licence to someone else is exceptionally permitted only if you are first licence user. Meaning that the new owener cannot further transfer the licence onto anyone else - 1 time deal.

I would also like state it again, whether or not u can transfer the licence to another person was NEVER the question or the POINT of this discussion, it was always only a matter of can u buy a new motherboard and not have to buy a new OS.

U have intentionally skimmed the point and course of all discussions to produce grounds for arguing time and time again.

The licence is transferable infinitely in the context of the initial discussion, before it got derailed into a semantics debate

Originally posted by 13lakeI would also like state it again, whether or not u can transfer the licence to another person was NEVER the question or the POINT of this discussion, it was always only a matter of can u buy a new motherboard and not have to buy a new OS.U have intentionally skimmed the point and course of all discussions to produce grounds for arguing time and time again.

I am not arguing, I keep saying same thing...just waiting for some desperate to prove me wrong, slow types to catch up with me.

It could end at http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/6553969

but you guys keep pounding...

I will overlook the ad hominem you threw our way and simply ask you:

Do agree that the licence is transferable multiple times as to help a user save money when changing their pc parts(specifically motherboard) and save money to buy a better pc component ?

Again, I was referring to transferring the between personally owned computers when I was referring to more than once. However, you can transfer it to another person also even if it is only once. You stated that it untransferable. It is transferable between people and systems. The license allows for this. Call it an exception if you would like, but it is still true. You previously stated that OEM licenses were not for personal use and that it could only be done when something failed in the system among other tidbits of misinformation. All of which were not true when you speak of Windows 8.  You can backtrack and obfuscate your arguments, but everyone sees through that.

Do you ever wonder why everyone of these forums pokes holes in all of your theories and builds? Perhaps it is because there is some truth behind it. When a everyone around you is screaming fire, you might want to take heed. 

You stated that it untransferable.

You previously stated that OEM licenses were not for personal use and that it could only be done when something failed in the system among other tidbits of misinformation. All of which were not true when you speak of Windows 8.  You can backtrack and obfuscate your arguments, but everyone sees through that.

I agree this needs to be explicitly stated, gdemami has changed and adjusted his answers multiple times during this discussion in the moments they were proven untrue and misleading.

Which in turn if not rebuted will lead to hundreds of dollars wasted for people listening to his advice, which is the only reason why we are still answering his posts :( :(

Originally posted by 13lakeDo agree that the licence is transferable multiple times as to help a user save money when changing their pc parts(specifically motherboard) and save money to buy a better pc component ?

It does not depend on my agreement.

If you want to stick to letters and do not own Windows 8 OEM PUL, then the transfer would be illegal. However as I stated already:

Originally posted by GdemamiThe practice is that you state the reason for change of hardware being faulty MB/CPU and they will activate your Windows without any questions. As poster above said.MS does not give a flock, OEM and Retail prices are merely the same now or minimal price difference. I guess there will be new licencing with Windows 10 and they will get rid of this ancient OEM mess for good.

It is up to each own whether they want to follow letters or practice.

Do agree that the licence is transferable multiple times as to help a user save money when changing their pc parts(specifically motherboard) and save money to buy a better pc component ?

It does not depend on my agremment.

If you want to stick to letters and do not own PUL, then the transfer would be illegal. However as I stated already:

The practice is that you state the reason for change of hardware being faulty MB/CPU and they will activate your Windows without any questions. As poster above said.

MS does not give a flock, OEM and Retail prices are merely the same now or minimal price difference. I guess there will be new licencing with Windows 10 and they will get rid of this ancient OEM mess for good.

It is up to each own whether they want to follow letters or practice.

You are like a broken record, your answer "It does not depend on my agremment." does not make sense nor does it answer the question it was intended for (I just want to make it absolutely clear, I am not talking about your misspelled word i didn't notice it until a few minutes after i quoted you :( I am talking about the whole sentence in general, i am just afraid you will misinterpret it and produce an unnecessary misunderstanding that will distract from the already unnecessarily derailed discussion)

"it is up to each own whether they want to follow letters or practice". does not make sense as a quote for what was quoted.

The hardware does NOT need to be FAULTY (Mobo) to transfer the licence, the only thing required is for all traces of it to be uninstalled on the machine it is being transferred from before it is installed on the machine it is being transferred to.

Originally posted by 13lakeThe hardware does NOT need to be FAULTY (Mobo) to transfer the licence, the only thing required is for all traces of it to be uninstalled on the machine it is being transferred from before it is installed on the machine it is being transferred to.

No wonder you think I am changing my statements or even being proven untrue when you are so much confused on topic.

Let me help you out with links I posted at the start of the discussion:

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/Pages/windows-licensing-for-personal-use.aspx#fbid=abmvv1M-A2-

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/Pages/licensing_faq.aspx#fbid=abmvv1M-A2-

After you study it carefully, feel free to ask questions.

The hardware does NOT need to be FAULTY (Mobo) to transfer the licence, the only thing required is for all traces of it to be uninstalled on the machine it is being transferred from before it is installed on the machine it is being transferred to.

No wonder you think I am changing my statements or even being proven untrue when you are so much confused on topic.

Let me help you out with links I posted at the start of the discussion:

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/Pages/windows-licensing-for-personal-use.aspx#fbid=abmvv1M-A2-

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/Pages/licensing_faq.aspx#fbid=abmvv1M-A2-

After you study it carefully, feel free to ask questions.

This Quote is exactly what i paraphrased in my previous post, you have essentially posted proof that what i said is true as proof that what i said is not true ?

Quote "

• Can only be used by one user at a time.
    • Can be transferred to new hardware, if removed from the prior PC.

"

Which in turn means that the first link you posted proves mine and stevebombsquad's point and actually disproves yours. 

Quote " Can only be used by one user at a time. Can be transferred to new hardware, if removed from the prior PC." The first link you posted proves mine and stevebombsquad's point and disproves yours. 

The first point refers to terminal services.
    The second refers to Windows 8 OEM PUL, the exception talked above.

Details on Windows 8 OEM PUL:

Quote "
    • Can only be used by one user at a time. Can be transferred to new hardware, if removed from the prior PC.
    "

The first link you posted proves mine and stevebombsquad's point and disproves yours. 

The first point refers to terminal services.
    The second refers to Windows 8 OEM PUL, the exception talked above.

Details on Windows 8 OEM PUL:

The second link is conjectural in nature because a) it does not reference anything to disprove or approve of either your or my point.

b) is conjectural only in a hypothetical sense because there is no wording of proof that it is referencing windows 8.0 but is by assuming that the page is updated for windows 8.1 referencing windows 8.1 licence agreements which are not applicable as windows 8.0 agreements.

which means your initial conjecture that it proves or disproves that u can change motherboards (nowhere to be found on page) is a conjecture in itself, because there is no reference that those are actually windows 8.0 terms which makes the evidence invalid.

The second link is a previously discussed link which holds the multiple times quoted and mentioned quote and observation that a change in motherboards allows this specific piece of software to be reused. 

The second link is conjectural in nature because a) it does not reference anything to disprove or approve of either your or my point.b) is conjectural only in a hypothetical sense because there is no wording of proof that it is referencing windows 8.0 but is by assuming that the page is updated for windows 8.1 referencing windows 8.1 licence agreements which are not applicable as windows 8.0 agreements. which means your initial conjecture that it proves or disproves that u can change motherboards (nowhere to be found on page) is a conjecture in itself, because there is no reference that those are actually windows 8.0 terms which makes the evidence invalid. The second link is a previously discussed link which holds the multiple times quoted and mentioned quote and observation that a change in motherboards allows this specific piece of software to be reused.

One cannot be helped if he does not ask. You ask no questions.

One cannot be helped if he does not ask. You ask no questions.

First and foremost this does not make much sense,

Secondly I will ask you two questions:

what do i need to be helped with in the context of our ongoing discussion ?

And how is it relevant to whether a person can change his motherboard and keep the OS initially locked on the previous motherboard ?

and lastly the reason why i say that what u wrote in the previous post does not make much sense is because it does not appear to in any way progress or conclude our ongoing discussion, but instead derails it further and poisons the topic for those seeking help about pc part building in the aforementioned topic.

what do i need to be helped with in the context of our ongoing discussion ?And how is it relevant to whether a person can change his motherboard and keep the OS initially locked on the previous motherboard ?

You were confused on topic, I was providing you help with links to get back on track.

Knowing starts with Questions but you are not asking any, thus you cannot get back on track.

What does not make much sense is this:

Do agree that the licence is transferable multiple times as to help a user save money when changing their pc parts(specifically motherboard) and save money to buy a better pc component ?

I guess you were asking whether I agree with something but there is nothing to agree with, thus I said it does not depend on my agreement - itis a choice of the user whether they comply with letter or practice.

I was never confused on points of the topic we were and are currently discussing, only perplexed at some of your answers

At this point whether i know anything about the topic or not is not relevant because i have provided irrefutable proof to prove you were not right in your assumptions, you have also i imagine inadvertently provided the same proof the proves you are not right and presented it as proof that you were which is incorrect by nature of the irrefutable proof in itself.

Something that is possible and works, and person on this forum has done cannot be a choice, but is actually ignoring of the truth and the possibility and the action of doing it, it's the equivalent of a ostrich bird putting its head in the sand.

Whether you or i agree or disagree that it is possible to transfer the licence from a motherboard to motherboard in the context of our discussion, is irrelevant, because there is irrefutable proof both material and digital that it is possible.

And if either you, me or anyone else would continue to argue that it is possible or not possible is pointless because it has been already performed and proven in multiple conditions.

[mod edit]

In retrospect even though i believe that people should see and read this as something to benefit future people asking for advice

the discussion between gdemami me and in smaller part stevebombsquad, it is in no way contributing to the request for advice of the OP and is complete derail in which the sheer number of posts would do more to deter the OP and anyone else seeking advice than to make them actually search through all this to see if there is some good advice in there.

I would ask the forum to staff to consider in addition to an obvious choice of just erasing all posts in this thread after they derailed from the initial discussion, to possibly just cut and paste them into a new forum thread named in the spirit of :

"Which recent windows oem version license is transferable or not and why" or anything similar.

It is my personal opinion that it should stay available on the forum atleast for a little while.

Whichever decision you make is the right one, we are but guests on this forum and my idea just a personal suggestion.