Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: Looking Ahead to 2015

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Hello everyone and welcome to the new year. I’m writing this on the last day of 2014 and instead of looking over our shoulder and summarizing what has gone I’d prefer to look forward and talk about what is yet to come.

Read more of Rob Lashley's Looking Ahead to 2015.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• NasaNasa Member UncommonPosts: 739

A strange list considering that only 1 out of 7 was actually a MMO and the one is most likely not to be released in 2015.

I had preferred a list where most were MMO games.

• KhebelnKhebeln Member UncommonPosts: 794

Sadly 2015 got very few noticeable mmos coming out, if they even manage to squeeze in 2015.

Then again most of those games listed here dont even have online component, and they dont belong on mmorpg.com 

then again we see decline of decent mmo games so mmorpg.com decided to cover a lot more rpgs last few years. This days we will soon have more than 50% of news related to non mmo games like coop online or solo rpg :/

(Retired)- Anarchy Online/Ultima Online/DAoC/Horizonsz/EQ2/SWG/AC1&2/L2/SoR/WoW/TMO/Requiem/Atlantica Online/Manibogi/Rift+(SL)/Lol/Hon/SWTOR/Wakfu/Champions Online/GW/Lotr/CO/TcoS/Tabula Rasa/Meridian 59/Vanguard/Shadowbane/Fury/SotW/Dreamlords/HGL/RoM/DDO/FFXI/Aoc/Eve/Warhammer Online/Gw2/TSW/Tera/Defiance/STO/AoW/DE/Firefall/Darkfall/Neverwinter/PS2/ESO/FF14/Archeage/Gw2

• eveque67eveque67 Member UncommonPosts: 64

I guess its a slow year for MMO's.  Wii U games and PS4 games and PC games, oh my!  Wheres the Xbox game?  Really?  Dont they have sites that cater to those platforms the same way we USED to cater to the MMO world?   A very eclectic list indeed.

If were "looking forward to 2015", the list of "Upcoming Games" on the home page has 9 out of 10 for the PC available.  All with listed dates in 2015.  It is highly unlikely they will actually release on their announced schedule, but that is a topic for another day.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    You had me at Zelda.  I've played pretty much every Zelda game and love them all.  Easily my top game IP of all time.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

So 2015 will be a pretty sad year for new MMOs.

Lets hope we get some good new stuff for the current games at least.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

When you look at the only MMO and see that ugly green lighting with very low end graphics it looks bad.

I  come to the conclusion that MMOs are simply too costly to do right so we are going to continue to see the genre flooded with junk.

Then i look at the tons of single player games and yes a few are decent budget games with decent graphics ,however i have seen a bus load of those cheap 15x15 grid looking games that all look like Diablo,just really cheap gaming overall.

How many developers with a large pocket  book do we have that can actually attempt to give us a solid game,not too many,so right out of the gate we  have little chance of seeing many good games from year to year.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• EtherignisEtherignis Member UncommonPosts: 249
    I'm looking forward too skyforge, BDO, BnS,and cabal 2
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,007
    Have a couple of collectors edition gold cartridges of zelda 64 which are worth a bit more than I was expecting.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

I don't really understand why they are returning to Kickstarter for the next campaign for Shadowrun... I mean, what did they do with the money they made from box sales? Feels like they are just abusing Kickstarter to be able to make games for free and keep all profits without having to spend those profits on making more games.

Kickstarter should be there to help people start out, but they clearly were a success story, and have made enough to be able to fund their own projects now.

Originally posted by eveque67

I guess its a slow year for MMO's.  Wii U games and PS4 games and PC games, oh my!  Wheres the Xbox game?  Really?  Dont they have sites that cater to those platforms the same way we USED to cater to the MMO world?   A very eclectic list indeed.

If were "looking forward to 2015", the list of "Upcoming Games" on the home page has 9 out of 10 for the PC available.  All with listed dates in 2015.  It is highly unlikely they will actually release on their announced schedule, but that is a topic for another day.

To answer your questions, Xbox 1's game lineup is extremely lacking compared to Playstation 4's game lineup. Playstation 4 already has a huge advantage over Xbox 1 due to it's popularity not only in the West, but in the East where a ton of JRPGs are made in Japan for that console exclusively (compare Xbox 1's utterly awful sales in Japan to Playstation 4's sales and you will see what I mean).

I view Xbox as having a problem in that it truly caters mostly to the FPS crowd and because of that, even though they do make games besides FPS games, I would never buy one because I know I can get more RPGs and JRPGs with a Playstation 4.

Not to mention that because Xbox is run by Microsoft a lot of their games come to the PC too, so it becomes even more pointless to buy an Xbox 1.

Smile

Originally posted by eveque67

Since my last comment to this quote refuses to show:

To answer your questions, Xbox 1's game lineup is extremely lacking compared to Playstation 4's game lineup. Playstation 4 already has a huge advantage over Xbox 1 due to it's popularity not only in the West, but in the East where a ton of JRPGs are made in Japan for that console exclusively (compare Xbox 1's utterly awful sales in Japan to Playstation 4's sales and you will see what I mean).

I view Xbox as having a problem in that it truly caters mostly to the FPS crowd and because of that, even though they do make games besides FPS games, I would never buy one because I know I can get more RPGs and JRPGs with a Playstation 4.

Not to mention that because Xbox is run by Microsoft a lot of their games come to the PC too, so it becomes even more pointless to buy an Xbox 1.

Smile

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Originally posted by Razeekster

Kickstarter should be there to help people start out, but they clearly were a success story, and have made enough to be able to fund their own projects now.

Have they?

Or did they make enough money to pay for the development, and then have enough that they could keep employing their people to start another project?

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

Here. I'll make a reply with more realistic 2015 expectations for the genre of this website.

#1. Black Desert Online - Action Oriented Sandbox Game with a recently announced "2015 launch year".

#2. Lineage Eternal - A top-view style MMORPG that's similar to Diablo 2, yet geared more towards the MMO-aspect, e.g., gigantic worlds, huge raids, etc. Release date expected 2015/2016.

#3. Skyforge - Another Theme Park / HUB "MMO" scheduled for a 2015 release.

#4. H1Z1 - Possible late 2015 release. FPS Zombie Shooter MMORPG. Currently able to join testing via Steam.

#5. The Repopulation - SWG-like Sandbox - Mid-Late 2015 release.

#6. Lost Ark - Diablo-style MMO - rumors of a late 2015 launch.

#7. Trove - Minecraft wannabe by Trion to release 2015.

#8. The Division - Was previously delayed to 2015. Tom Clancy MMORPG.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

What is this nonsense?  Console only games are 2nd class!  Why you bother to cover such is a travesty!  The funny tihing you did not even cover the notable console games, but decided to cover the lower end.  Then you had to really lower yourself to discuss outdated WII-U games.  The good games come out on PC, the rest are hardly worth discussing.

Yep, you did not have much to write about as there really is no notable MMO's due this year, the chance that EQNext arrives in 2015 are quite slim, but we should see SOE's zombie FPSMMO.

• shalissarshalissar Member UncommonPosts: 509

DFO is making its return in spring, Warhammer Eternal Crusade is in 2015, innit?

both of those will or should keep me happy, DFO at least (i'm a sucker for brawl 'n grind that's how i got as many hours as I did pluggin' away at warframe)

• Scott_JeslisScott_Jeslis Member RarePosts: 630
    I've got my eyes on Shroud Of the Avatar and The Repopulation in 2015.
  • MoonKnighttMoonKnightt Member UncommonPosts: 148

Dang can't call Pillars of Eternity - PoE. Due to Path of Exile.  I think we are mostly PC gamers at heart here on MMORPG. Console exclusives seem kind of like a wash and a waste of resources.

I don't think most console exclusive gamers know what a MMORPG site is. Much less what a Steam is either. I get some people have a gaming PC and a console. I guess the coverage is for them. I do understand Zelda but I bet you anything it will come out around the same time as EQnext, in 2016.

Seems like for single player RPGs/small multiplayer it's a decent year.

But when writers are bringing up games that will not be out until next year to fill the void? You know it's a slow year. Other than some guys others already play. Seems like a good year to ignore MMOs.

• MoonKnighttMoonKnightt Member UncommonPosts: 148
    Originally posted by Dauzqul

Here. I'll make a reply with more realistic 2015 expectations for the genre of this website.

#1. Black Desert Online - Action Oriented Sandbox Game with a recently announced "2015 launch year".

#2. Lineage Eternal - A top-view style MMORPG that's similar to Diablo 2, yet geared more towards the MMO-aspect, e.g., gigantic worlds, huge raids, etc. Release date expected 2015/2016.

#3. Skyforge - Another Theme Park / HUB "MMO" scheduled for a 2015 release.

#4. H1Z1 - Possible late 2015 release. FPS Zombie Shooter MMORPG. Currently able to join testing via Steam.

#5. The Repopulation - SWG-like Sandbox - Mid-Late 2015 release.

#6. Lost Ark - Diablo-style MMO - rumors of a late 2015 launch.

#7. Trove - Minecraft wannabe by Trion to release 2015.

#8. The Division - Was previously delayed to 2015. Tom Clancy MMORPG.

Trove. Is not a Minecraft wannabe. Anymore than Minecraft is a lego wannabe. Sometimes people get inspired from other things. It shows in their work.

If you really wanted to be like that? Anything is a wannabe of something else.

MMOs spawned from pen and paper RPGs at the beginning. So all MMO gaming is wannabes.

But pen and paper MMOs spawned from books. They are wannabes of books.

Life must suck to look at things like that, yes some things are rip offs but I really wish people knew the difference between being inspired and ripping something off.

• KuviskiKuviski Member UncommonPosts: 215

I understand you are looking to broaden the audience, but honestly, when I come to this site, I come here to read about MMORPGs, not RPGs. The list had, what, one of them there?

I know I will sound like a whiny little brat, so excuse me for that. Just throwing my opinion out there.

• Varex12Varex12 Member CommonPosts: 357

Well then, Trion sure seems to get "inspired" by a lot of different games.  In fact, every time they release a game, it seems as though it's "inspired" by whatever game happens to be popular at the time.  

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    I did not know about pillars of eternity,but it looks to old school for me.
  • BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

I think I can honestly say at this point that I really don't care what is ahead for MMO's or just games in general for that matter.

I've been playing these things a long time now, and I have enough unfinished gaming business to probably last me the rest of my life.

Besides the best game I found in the last 5 years is one that I wasn't even looking for.   

Just going to sit back and dabble with what I have now.   And  keep an eye out,  just in case that NEXT BIG GAME comes along.

But somehow, I seriously doubt it will.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• akkedis86akkedis86 Member UncommonPosts: 123

Black Desert

H1Z1

Kingdom Under Fire II

The repopulation

Bless

Camelot Unchained

Skyforge

Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade

Shroud of the avatar

etcetc. 

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by Nasa

A strange list considering that only 1 out of 7 was actually a MMO and the one is most likely not to be released in 2015.

I had preferred a list where most were MMO games.

Agree fully with you. And never liked nor idea nor explanation of MMORPG staff why they do not stick with games that are what site name says.

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Here's a top ten list idea.... Top 10 in game innovations we are looking to see in action in 2015. Doesn't have to be an mmorpg- does have to be a pc or console game
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by Razeekster

Have they?

Or did they make enough money to pay for the development, and then have enough that they could keep employing their people to start another project?

That's not how it works at all... If it was, their product would be considered a failure, and it's not (they even have a version for phones and ipads).

Smile