Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

H1Z1: Smedley Predicts 150-200 Early Access Servers

Comments

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Dakeru
    Doesn't anyone scratch his head, about him calling a fair part of his paying customers "disgusting"?

I'm scratching my head, about how you don't see it was a joke.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

Don't really get the zombie craze.  I know the kids are into it, but I don't get why adults are also as I don't see much difference with all the other shooters out there.   Must be the pvp because I have yet to see a zombie game is the slightest bit challenging in pve.  Anyways, after you have killed your 1000th zombie I imagine the game would start getting stale in pve mode.

Most of the people I know that play DayZ are in their 20s and 30s.  I don't really know where you get the "Kids" thing.  They are primarily  PvP survival game, not shooters.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Doesn't anyone scratch his head, about him calling a fair part of his paying customers "disgusting"?

Ah yes, being the head of a company and calling people disgusting.

Hahahahahaha

Such a witty joke. 

Harbinger of Fools
  • Tasslehoff35Tasslehoff35 Member UncommonPosts: 962
    Well not sure how he can still be running anything.  When was the last time anything smed had his hands on actually panned out?  I guess over at Sony losing $1B+ every year they dont really care if Smed brings down SoE.  
    Originally posted by Distopia

Ah yes, being the head of a company and calling people disgusting.

Hahahahahaha

Such a witty joke. 

Ah yes, looking for something to be offended and in turn sling mud about.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by Superman0X
    Originally posted by Vesavius
    Originally posted by MGPeterson
    Sorry Smedley, but I bet the "disgusting" PvE servers will be the first ones to fill up.  Haha :D

And that they will be there long after the traditionally fickle game hopping PvP crowd have searched for and found some reason to hate it moved on.

Kudos to SOE for offering the option though. It's rare that a dev understands the long term value of the PvE community in these games these days.

The problem with PvE servers is that they undermine PvP servers. Many people will choose to play on the PvE servers, and in doing so, remove the 'easy prey' from the PvP servers. This will undermine their value to much of the PvP crowd, which is not looking for good (even) PvP, but rather easy ganks.

As a PvPer myself, I would rather play with people who want to PvP and I dont want easy pray. I want skilled players who are looking for a fight. IMO, PvE servers are a good thing as it keeps the fodder out of the way.

Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Sorry Smedley, but I bet the "disgusting" PvE servers will be the first ones to fill up.  Haha :D

And that they will be there long after the traditionally fickle game hopping PvP crowd have searched for and found some reason to hate it moved on.

Kudos to SOE for offering the option though. It's rare that a dev understands the long term value of the PvE community in these games these days.

The problem with PvE servers is that they undermine PvP servers. Many people will choose to play on the PvE servers, and in doing so, remove the 'easy prey' from the PvP servers. This will undermine their value to much of the PvP crowd, which is not looking for good (even) PvP, but rather easy ganks.

As a PvPer myself, I would rather play with people who want to PvP and I dont want easy pray. I want skilled players who are looking for a fight. IMO, PvE servers are a good thing as it keeps the fodder out of the way.

Well said...

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

And there we have the distinction between an actual PvPer and a griefer. It'll mostly be the latter that'll be up in arms about the PvE servers.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    I am very excited for this game.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    PvE servers?! HUZZAH!!

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724
    Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade

And there we have the distinction between an actual PvPer and a griefer. It'll mostly be the latter that'll be up in arms about the PvE servers.

As as PvP guy... I'm OK with that. I could suffice that rhetoric more so then the PvE demands for dueling.

• MGPetersonMGPeterson Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Originally posted by Battlerock

Nah, I am a PvEer at heart and I took it as a tongue in cheek poke, no real malice in it. And I say this having a pretty low opinion of the man for the moves he has pulled over the years.

There is too much in this world to be really insulted and upset by, Smed trying to troll folks a little isn't even nearly up there. :)

I just think it's common knowledge that the games maximum potential is not on pve servers, they are putting them uo, but his comments are meant to steer people toward the breadwinner in a game like this, and that is the pvp servers.

Oh, I agree. However, my point is that the MMO community is not ready for perma-death yet, let alone perma-death via a random gank.  Don't get me wrong, I love PvP, and if SOE has genuinely found a way to make perma-death meaningful and not bitter, I'll embrace it, but I sincerely doubt they have done that.  If I'm gonna be perma-deathed,

I would rather it be fighting over resources, or protecting my clan, and not some random head shot in a newbie zone by some max-level douche who clearly lacks the skill to PvP with someone equal in their skill-set.  Granted, their are no levels in H1Z1, but the mind-set is still there with veterans vs. newbies.

• ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709
    I would be more interested in Early Access if I could use one of my (many) Station Accounts to access it, but since it is Steam only, never mind.

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

• ShattenShatten Member UncommonPosts: 40
    PVE population will be 30% people and 70% spam bot at release since its F2P and you probably can't kill them bots.
  • ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    o/
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by Excession
    I would be more interested in Early Access if I could use one of my (many) Station Accounts to access it, but since it is Steam only, never mind.

You cant apply the early access you buy onto a current SoE account? You sure? 

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

"even the disgusting PVE carebear servers will be ready day 1. I'm not happy about that but people tell me I need to get over it."

He is clearly saying the SERVER is the disgusting thing in the sentence.  The server is the object of his disgust.  I'm scratching my head at how you seemingly intentionally misunderstood the tweet.

• BrizlynBrizlyn Member UncommonPosts: 81
    Actually i wouldnt mind playing on both pve and pvp servers...sometimes i just want to dick around and pve would be cool for that or for learning the map...then flip over to pvp whenever im in the mood to kick some ass or form some alliances...
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Oooh PvE servers? Sign me up!

Joined - July 2004

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Considering his company was built on a franchise that have Good and evil factions yet not only PvP as an afterthought but they could group together. I'm not sure he has room to complain about carebears!

We carebears built SOE!

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029

did they do research,are their really more people that wants zombie games.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Originally posted by Shatten
    PVE population will be 30% people and 70% spam bot at release since its F2P and you probably can't kill them bots.

Like the PVP population will be any better hah!

Wait for the hackers and aimbotters to come.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Originally posted by Laughing-man

"even the disgusting PVE carebear servers will be ready day 1. I'm not happy about that but people tell me I need to get over it."

He is clearly saying the SERVER is the disgusting thing in the sentence.  The server is the object of his disgust.  I'm scratching my head at how you seemingly intentionally misunderstood the tweet.

Yeah my bad. He is disgusted by the servers. It's reasonable to hate objects. He meant no offense to the players playing the disgusting servers.

Harbinger of Fools
  • PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762
    Why does Sony keep allowing this fool out of his cage to speak (i.e. insult) to the public? What an out-of-touch tool.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• Rikus25Rikus25 Member Posts: 82

I am a PVE player and am glad to hear they will actually have them. I will give this game a go now on that announcement. :)