Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I have this incredible idea for an MMO...but I'm afraid someone will steal my idea

Comments

• CatAtomic99CatAtomic99 Member UncommonPosts: 62

In my dream MMORPG you can play as any fruit you want. You spawn in a fruit bowl and you slowly rot until you're either eaten or thrown away.

Also you kill rats maybe.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • NerblasNerblas Member UncommonPosts: 37

Jezz what a bunch of frustated folks commenting here.... 

I believe catano said it all. Document it well, find out how to legally protect yourself, and get moving... I wish you best of luck, and lots of courage, so that you can at least put some life on your dream....

And never mind frustated comments from spineless folks...

Sorry I can't give more advises, but I always lacked to balls to pursue my "gaming ideas". Hope you can do better :)

"Vidis Fodidis Est"

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by sludgebeard

No offense OP - but chances are your idea has been floated around the dev studios for years already.

Out of every game that gets completed - each studio has had dozens of other games that were voted down before alpha and 1000s of ideas too that never got even to internal greenlight phase.

The only way to find out is to actually bring it up with some experienced MMO devs that you trust - that's the problem many folks on game forums are quick to bash devs and have never actually talked to any MMORPG devs in RL .. like ever.

Go attend game conferences - don't talk to marketing folks - go talk to actual lead devs behind the games - they are fascinating folks!

I'm actual best friends with the lead dev of the Pantheon dev team...so. :P

Then you're set - also make sure you have your "elevator pitch" and game presentation ready (I've added to my original post) - 

+1, this is your best bet. I actually worked for a small indie company at one point in a Biz Dev capacity and one of my closest contacts with the Biz Dev Manager over at Sierra. Even with that contact, I never got anywhere. Never even got an opportunity to pitch an idea. Indie is probably your best bet, TBH. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by lttexxan

Except of course DMKano...he can't help himself. He has to post in every thread. No matter how inane.

Aren't you a salty TESO fan

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353

This is some serious Jorodowsky's Dune level of a project. It basically would reunite the MMO community and finally set right the years of torment the community had suffered. And yes it has Perma-Death, because it's the only logical place for MMOs to go. It's been misused and misunderstood for far too long and it's part of wha will make this the Greatest, more electrifying game in sports entertainment.

I can't reveal much more though, I know somewhere Brad Mcquaid is lurking behind a Archage rant post ready to take off with my idea and sell it to Smedley for a quick buck...

This is probably a parody post, and if so, it's a decently good one.  But just in case it's not:

Let's suppose that you have this idea for a really great game that you'd love to play.  And so you post the idea, and some game studio says, hey, that's a really great idea.  Let's make that game.  And then they make it, and you play it, and you love the game.  How exactly is that a bad thing?  The alternative would be that your game doesn't get made at all.

But more realistically, posting your idea wouldn't get a game studio to pick it up and make your game.  Even if you posted it in what you think is great detail.  Well, maybe if you posted the complete source code and all of the art assets, then someone would consider publishing it.  Maybe.  But anything short of that isn't going to get an idea picked up off of a game forum.  (I exaggerate here, but only a little.)

The problem is that everyone and his neighbor's dog has ideas for games.  A lot of them even have good ideas.  Or perhaps rather, ideas that would be good if it were practical to make the game they wanted, which it often isn't.  But that's why ideas have no value.  The value is in implementing those ideas and making them actually work.

And in particular, professional game developers also have ideas for games.  More than they can make themselves.  Even the people who get to pick which games get made, as opposed to the overwhelming majority that just get hired to make a game that someone else wants.  And given a chance to pick which game gets made, they're going to pick one of their ideas, not one of yours.  They like their ideas better than they like yours, which is why their ideas are their ideas and your ideas are not their ideas.

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107
    Originally posted by bentrim
    wow what a genius...permadeath..what an idea. You are an original MMO sevant. But don't worry, no one will steal your idea. It was non viable LONG ago. Keep that peanut brain working though, you might come up with something like leveling, or different classes, or maybe even free to play!

Someone woke up on the wrong side of an arathi highmane, gee wiz.

Alrfht let me explain

Permadeath is in this game because everyone plays their character like a roguelike, your trying to g ey as far as you can with one character.

And the longer you stay alive.the longer your character ages in game, the older you get and this more experianced.

so being older doesn't mean your nessceary stronger just maybe smarter or more cautious.

While i can see the appeal, you'd be hardpressed to find anyone that would want to develop it..

Lets face it, most games that get popular are fairly easy and casual, permadeath just isn't in that list.

• DarkFailDarkFail Member Posts: 66
    What a delusional little fellow.
  • DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

put it on Kickstarter, I´ll put in 100$

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Originally posted by evilized

nobody cares about you or your idea.

there ya go, you an stop worrying now.

Lol perma death = dead on arrival. I think the OP spends to much time on game boards to think the masses would go for this. 

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987

Me too.

It's a WoW killer.

If you offer enaugh I'll make you rich.

PM

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Originally posted by StarI

Me too.

It's a WoW killer.

If you offer enaugh I'll make you rich.

PM

damn ! Your avatar.. you´re a member of the illuminati!  You must be swimming in money harvested off tears!

Can I get some? I got an incredibly awesome project too and if you want I´ll even throw some eyes and a pyramid in

*wink-wink-secret handshake*

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004

I actually read what a game designer actually says.

If you wont' invest in your own ideas no one will.

I think it's the part where people believe ideas is actually worth anything.  Most of the time no one even want to invest in the ideas.

If your ideas is so good, you should sell your house and invest in it.  But if you won't do it yourself no one will.

It's not that ideas isn't important.  It's that ideas isn't worth anything if you won't actually do something to make it happen.

Mark Cuban is the one who is the billionaire, not the engineer who come up with the idea about radio.  You need to make it happen before the ideas actually worth anything.

• GaendricGaendric Member UncommonPosts: 624

In game development ideas are like sand on a beach.

Every dev has 20 game ideas he/she can't implement due to time/money constraints.

(They also have training and experience, which means their ideas are most likely better suited for the current market.)

In any case, turn your idea into reality.

Make an actual game/demo out of it, then it will hopefully be worth something. 

Until then, it's just another grain of sand on the beach. 

• mrrshann618mrrshann618 Member UncommonPosts: 279

I've had a game in mind also. Best since sliced bread. It too involves permadeath.

The basis of the game is the original Traveller RPG, Character Generation is super detailed and hours long so you can get every aspect of you character down. Just don't accidentally activate the wrong random generator during creation as it may simply have your character get sucked out an airlock and you have to start all over.

Hours of fun!

Play what you Like. I like SWOTR, Have a referral to get you going!
    -->  http://www.swtor.com/r/nBndbs  <--
    Several Unlocks and a few days game time to make the F2P considerably easier
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by azzamasin

We all have our own incredible ideas for a MMO.

Mine combines the best elements of Asheron's Call, Path of Exile, Diablo 2, and Neverwinter. 

/subscribes2newsletter

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977

This is some serious Jorodowsky's Dune level of a project. It basically would reunite the MMO community and finally set right the years of torment the community had suffered. And yes it has Perma-Death, because it's the only logical place for MMOs to go. It's been misused and misunderstood for far too long and it's part of wha will make this the Greatest, more electrifying game in sports entertainment.

I can't reveal much more though, I know somewhere Brad Mcquaid is lurking behind a Archage rant post ready to take off with my idea and sell it to Smedley for a quick buck...

It has already been done before.

Saving you the time and headache.

• mark2123mark2123 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    wow what a genius...permadeath..what an idea. You are an original MMO sevant. But don't worry, no one will steal your idea. It was non viable LONG ago. Keep that peanut brain working though, you might come up with something like leveling, or different classes, or maybe even free to play!

Alrfht let me explain

Permadeath is in this game because everyone plays their character like a roguelike, your trying to g ey as far as you can with one character.

And the longer you stay alive.the longer your character ages in game, the older you get and this more experianced.

so being older doesn't mean your nessceary stronger just maybe smarter or more cautious.

Can't see me being interested in an MMO game where everything I've done in it gets wiped.  Next.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by mark2123

Alrfht let me explain

Can't see me being interested in an MMO game where everything I've done in it gets wiped.  Next.

So you're not a fan of reality?

Because everything you and the entire human race has done will get wiped and be forgotten - forever.

Only a matter of time

Our sun will destroy the earth - even if humans escape our solar system - heck even if we were to escape our galaxy - the universe will die as well.

Time destroys all.

DMKano, part of the reason many people play (and pay for) MMOs is the illusion of permanency combined with some level of denial or ignorance of the inevitable.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

I can't tell if you are serious or not.

If you are, I hate to break this to you, but every half-decent designer has at least one incredible idea. It's not exactly unique. If you truly believe you can offer something that no one else has thought of, then you essentially have a choice.

A) Do you think you have (or can get) the funds to turn it into a reality? If not, then it's pointless keeping it to yourself.

B) Find the best person you can who can actually make your idea a reality, pitch it to them, and see if they're interested.

Either way, you aren't going to make money hoarding your idea. You're not going to make your game hoarding your idea. Chances are, at least 10 other people have had the same idea, and not done it for a variety of reasons. Lots of designs sound great on paper, but are horrible once implemented.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Game developers have boxes of ideas, and all of them are probably more defined than yours.  They do not want or need your idea.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• sludgebeardsludgebeard Member RarePosts: 788
    Originally posted by MisterZebub
    Originally posted by randomt

Unless you have a bagazillion dollars and high class management skills you ought to give your idea up to the community out of your innate superior generosity

My generosity is well documented by my spotlight poster status.

And by the sludge in your beard.

And the sludge is strong with this one.

Pessimism is what has killed MMOs, I once had a character in EQ Classic, Cleric with top tier gear, told myself I I ever fight a gnome and lose I kill the char.

Fouhght a duel and lost and I made my own Perma death. The MMO of the future isn't based around progressing basic levels. 

• kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044

So what are you doing here telling us this?  What are you hoping to achieve?? Or are you just showing off while bored?

Everyone has an idea that would be the greatest ever so can't see the point of your post at all....

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

Ideas are dime in a dozen unless they become reality.

So what was the point of your post exactly?

• ZeddakisZeddakis Member UncommonPosts: 156

Why should anyone take anything you say serious after your "Resubbed to ESO, played for 5 minutes, then uninstall" post? Where you were caught in a web of lies.

Your 1/5/15 post -"Just got the game, I'm planning on making an RP guild for fun, whose in?!"

Your 1/12/15 post - "Resubbed to ESO, played for 5 minutes, then uninstall"

In the same post you later admit -"Ok we'll I didn't uninstall it "