Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Trademark Filed, New Expansion Logo Found?

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Fueling the fires of expansion rumors, it seems a brand new trademark has been filed by ArenaNet and NCsoft. As dug up on reddit, there's also a new logo but little other news for now. Could this be the long-awaited expansion to Guild Wars 2?

Reddit Thread

Imgur Thread with Pictures of Filing

Logo Filing

While there's little other information to be gleamed from the trademark filings, it's pretty clear that this is something much bigger than just another Living World update, as they haven't done trademark filings for those in the past. 

Season 2 of the Living World ends today in Guild Wars 2, and in just a little less than two weeks the big PAX Panel at PAX South should finally reveal to us all what ArenaNet has been working on alongside the Living World updates.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• parpinparpin Member UncommonPosts: 220

hype train going faster than i thought,

i was first one who posted gw2 trade mark on mmorpg.com in just matter of few min some else and you bill posted the same stuff, guess hype train is going pretty fast.

• illyanaillyana Member UncommonPosts: 614
    chooo chooo CHOOOO! HYPE TRAIN coming! official announcement coming PAX weekend?

Have fun storming the castle! - Miracle Max

• victorbjrvictorbjr Member UncommonPosts: 212
    It's getting HoT in HURR! CHARR take off All their clothes!

A writer and gamer from the Philippines. Loves his mom dearly. :)

Can also be found on http://www.gamesandgeekery.com

• illyanaillyana Member UncommonPosts: 614

really cool logo too! nice evolution from the original GW2 logo. so i guess that is why there seems to be an abrupt end to the current Season of Living Story 2, we'll fight Modremoth in the expansion

does this mean we will still be stuck in the t=Tyrian continent for the expansion? i was hoping for a "Waters of Cantha" or "Sands of Elona" kinda type of expansion title

anyways great news to wake up to today!

Have fun storming the castle! - Miracle Max

• wilendarwilendar Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Originally posted by illyana

really cool logo too! nice evolution from the original GW2 logo. so i guess that is why there seems to be an abrupt end to the current Season of Living Story 2, we'll fight Modremoth in the expansion

does this mean we will still be stuck in the t=Tyrian continent for the expansion? i was hoping for a "Waters of Cantha" or "Sands of Elona" kinda type of expansion title

anyways great news to wake up to today!

Tyria isn't revealed even at half and you want another continent? look at map and see how many blank spots there are.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

I'd say the filing of that logo just before PAX makes the imminent announcement of an expansion a complete certainty !

ANet have delayed this for as long as possible, but the slow decline in revenues has probably reached the point where they need something significant to put GW2 back on center stage. You can only milk the cow for so long, eventually you have to feed it.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

Guild Wars 2

Game of Thrones?

• ghorgosghorgos Member UncommonPosts: 191

right now i think its the name of season 3

but we still don't know what anet is announcing, might not be an add-on but additional content-packs for s3

• akuma696akuma696 Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

I'd say the filing of that logo just before PAX makes the imminent announcement of an expansion a complete certainty !

ANet have delayed this for as long as possible, but the slow decline in revenues has probably reached the point where they need something significant to put GW2 back on center stage. You can only milk the cow for so long, eventually you have to feed it.

I dont think its just cause of the decline in revenue, I think they have been working on this for awhile . Like alot of people have speculated the living story that has been provided so far has only been done by a small portion of the devs at anet, the main devs were working on something else which is this expansion.

• RemnanceRemnance Member Posts: 1
    do we have to purchase this expansion? or just update the game :D thanks guys
  • akuma696akuma696 Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Originally posted by Remnance
    do we have to purchase this expansion? or just update the game :D thanks guys

It would be purchase but they might make it so u can buy it through gems in gem store. But I wouldnt mind paying for the expansion its not that expensive

• Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Nothing is off the table :U 
  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    I'm SO buying this if this is an expansion!
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Come on ArenaNet. Ditch this living story crap. The gw1 model was great. There was always so much to do. At this point in its life gw1 was 2-3 times bigger than gw2. 1 expansion per year would be amazing. 

This living story just feels like recycled content.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    I am a banana!

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by ghorgos

right now i think its the name of season 3

but we still don't know what anet is announcing, might not be an add-on but additional content-packs for s3

ANet didn't file for trademark or make a new logo for the other two seasons of Living Story. The filing and new logo would be out of place for what they have done in the past for LS, which is why so many people believe it's an expansion announcement.

• PiscorePiscore Member UncommonPosts: 263

True Story

l2p

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    OK. GW2 is at least decent attempt on MMO , so im hyped

• GenreNinjaGenreNinja Member CommonPosts: 159

My curiosity is peaked, but that's about it. 

More than anything, I'm curious if this Expansion will confirm the Sylvari are actually the servants of a Dragon. And that they were given free will by the Ventari Tablet under the Pale Tree. 

---

Live a life less ordinary.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Kind of a neat way to do things if it's true. Living story seasons are like a TV show with episodic content. And then the expansion is a big blockbuster movie picking up where the series ended.

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    I enjoy GW2 in little spurts here and there, but I sure do hope they make it more like GW1.
  • RaapnaapRaapnaap Member UncommonPosts: 455

I suppose it's about time.

GW2 is one of the few recent MMO launches to have been successful enough to expect an expansion(s) for it, and in my opinion they're a year late on it.

I just hope three things; The end of living story nonsense, the return of the GW1 campaign format, and significant updates for WvW.

• SaluteSalute Member UncommonPosts: 795
    Just give us a GW1 mmo. Thats what GW2 should be in the first place.

All Time Favorites: EQ1, WoW, EvE, GW1
    Playing Now: WoW, ESO, GW2

• Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by Piscore

True Story

I am so making a cup out of this picture. Thank you very much :D

• nuttobnuttob Member Posts: 291
    If it is an expansion I will be there!  My guess as to why they took so long is that they wanted the worldwide release complete and at least a year in.  This way when they do release an expansion it can be marketed worldwide instead of having to release it in stages across the world.  Maybe from here on out expansions can be released more frequently if indeed this is an expansion in the first place.