Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VR in MMO is about to fail, or about to succeed.

1235»

Comments

• FermianFermian Member UncommonPosts: 28

When they release a model with the size of normal glasses. When the image is connected to eye instead of head movement.

It will succeed.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Kiyoris

Will Virtual Reality faill or succeed.

Vote pls.

Thank you.

I don't think it'll stick, tbh. Though it has improved by quite a lot since the last attempt.

VR essentially shares the same problem as 3d. As long as you have to attach some appliance (goggles, glasses, etc.) to your face, it's just not a great experience for a long period of time.

In short bursts it's really cool. But could you imagine using that for months? The novelty wears off quick.

Furthermore, just like 3d VR is another layer in how you create. And, like 3d, very few people are actually utilizing it to enhance. Which reinforces the gimmick part of it. VR can be used to make things more immersive, but it can also be an excuse to throw a bunch of crap at the screen.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I think VR in gaming is something that is not only going to be successful, it's going to be successful soon.  The only real obstacle has been the hardware.  Now that the hardware is getting to the point that it's not going to be much more expensive than a really good monitor, it seems like it'll happen sooner rather than later.

I don't think there's going to be too many applications beyond gaming though, not until there is another exponential jump in hardware capabilities.  For instance, wireless headsets that not only do virtual reality but enhanced reality.  Possibly even contacts or something.  Basically something where people aren't tied to their desk to get their dose of VR/ER.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Originally posted by Fermian

When they release a model with the size of normal glasses. When the image is connected to eye instead of head movement.

It will succeed.

what about people with lazy eyes.  joking

• EpicJohnsonEpicJohnson Member UncommonPosts: 83

This is my first post on this forum. After reading thru this tread and seeing all the incorrect ideas about the rift  as I own an oculus rift dk2. Here is a link to 10 minutes of gameplay ElderScrollsOnline using Vorpx, Pinnacle Game profiler, couple of comunity addons to mod the interface. This is the Best way to play ElderScrollOnline

If anyone has any questions I will be glad to answer. Been reading this site for years just thoght i would finally jump in.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by randomt

Originally posted by Alders

People don't like putting dumb things on their heads to alter visuals. Audio is completely different.

Yet people are using that google glass thing, so there is a market for eye accessories.. It will just be a matter of time, once a VR device can be light enough to be relatively unobtrusive

Not a very big market though.  Google just halted production of Google Glass.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-30831128

They claim it's not over but it doesn't look good.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville