Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Guild Wars 2: The Daily Grouse

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

I'm still not totally on board with the new dailies. Judging by this massive thread on the official forums, it seems I'm not alone. I still stand by my original article last month that it's not a big enough change to make me rip my hair out and quit the game or anything quite so drastic, but I'm also not sure the revamp is having the desired effect.

Read more of Jason Winter's Guild Wars 2: The Daily Grouse.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836

The revamp is most definitely a good thing for achievement hunters, who no longer have to devote obnoxious amounts of time each day to get all of their daily achievement points. It's also good for those like me who are on the fence (but keeping an eye on the game) and want to do nothing more than log in each day.

It's also one of the few changes that have been kind to alt players, as the writs of experience and tomes of knowledge earned on one's main characters can be easily applied to an alt.

I'd say that if they changed the map-specific event dailies into region-specific ones, the change would be entirely positive. 

• meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917
    Nope I'm not either but I've told them I won't be back unless they fix the problems with rewards and no this cheap attempt at manipulation isn't a fix. 
  • asfaraslarryasfaraslarry Member UncommonPosts: 31

Branching out and trying new things is a nice idea, but it should be something that happens infrequently, if they seem bent on doing it.  Frankly, I'm happy to try something I haven't tried before, but once I've tried it, if I don't really like it, I don't want to be "offered the opportunity to try it again".  I tried it.  Didn't take.  Thanks for the opportunity.

I like the structure of the new dailies, for the most part.  I like the "3 for 10" quite a bit, but:

1. Dungeons and Fractals should be in a 4th category

2. Every category should have a few more options to pick from each day

3. I miss some of the old PvE ones (and some missing from monthlies), like puzzles, ressing, etc.  It would be nice to figure out a way to incorporate those again.

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089

one of the most stupid things in the mmo history: achievments. Instead focus on real quality gameplay they focus on fluff. 

Im still angry about Anet making GW2 such a bad game- such a waste of time- where really absoluetly everything in that game feels pointless.

• iGumballStariGumballStar Member UncommonPosts: 106
    Quality gameplay as what? gear-grinding?
  • GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    I don't know, I kinda like the dailies as they are right now. Gets people to different zones to run events or whatever else. Pound them out in like an hour or so, get some rewards, yada, yada. It is what it is. 
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Oh god the tyranny of the daily. I have this dumb personality that feels guilty when I do not log on to do my daily. In the end it ruins the game for me. I know totally my fault. I get so wrapped up in the daily requirement and when I do not do it I feel a pang as the timer resets and I'm thinking about the daily even when I am outside the house doing something else. Not good me and daily is a bad combo.
    Chamber of Chains
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

To be honest do you get the best reward just for logging in anyways now so you can just skip the rest of the stuff if you don't feel like doing them.

Personally do I think this system is slightly better since I need to devote less time to dailies and more to play anyways, I need those Laurels for T6 mats.

It is a lot better than the crap most MMOs still have as dailies but frankly is dailies not that great idea. It is in any game just a little added daily grind.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

I'll have to play around w/ the new system more, but so far it just doesn't affect me like it seems to be doing the OP (and a bunch of other people). I've been playing w/ the new system for a bit now, and tbh aside from the new UI I barely even realized the change. I'm still just kinda doing whatever and getting rewarded for it.

I'm not a huge fan of dailies either, but I consider them a necessary evil, and threads like this kinda prove that (imo). A lot of people have shown that they need direction in their games. They prefer to be told what to do, even if they don't want to admit (or realize) that. No one wants to feel like they don't have anything to do, or don't know what to do. It's gotten to the point where most online games need some form of dailies. Otherwise people get distracted too easily.

That said I kind of feel like the dailies for GW2 have a lot of people trapped in their own mentality. It seems like another one of those systems where people see it, they fall to the pull of the skinner box / constant reward system, and assume they have no choice. Not to mention that all the daily rewards are optional, that AP isn't really important at this time (aside from some minor prejudice in higher lvl dungeons **no one wants to do a speed clear w/ someone w/ no AP**). The laurels are pretty useful, but not hard to get. Just time gated.

I do miss the monthlies though. I understand why they took them out, but it was nice to have that option. It meant that missing a few dailies was much less of a deal, cause the monthly was worth most of them combined. I do like the current login rewards though, though I'm assuming those are probably temporary.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Loke666

To be honest do you get the best reward just for logging in anyways now so you can just skip the rest of the stuff if you don't feel like doing them.

Personally do I think this system is slightly better since I need to devote less time to dailies and more to play anyways, I need those Laurels for T6 mats.

It is a lot better than the crap most MMOs still have as dailies but frankly is dailies not that great idea. It is in any game just a little added daily grind.

This ^

I wouldn't mind if dailies disappeared completely, but I'm afraid too many people rely on them to dictate how they play.

• APThugAPThug Member RarePosts: 543
    Sounds like ANet could greatly benefit from public test servers before releasing new content

• bostonjonbostonjon Member Posts: 19
    I really like the dailies now, can get them pretty easy by just doing things I like, WvW for example. The rewards are now fitting to the activity done, again WvW items for competing WvW activities. Overall a good change IMO.
  • andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970

I will be back the day they stop designing the game around their cash shop.

Sure there have been positive changes, but nothing big enough for me consider investing my time in it. 

Too many wheels on carriage and ropes pulling you back on what they want you to do. If you try to do something else, the game punishes you through DR, miniscule rewards. 

My biggest gripe about the game, is all those damn mobs. Every single new event, mobs does not give XP, they literary drop junk items, and proud of it. Then tap on a preset reward, again, cannot let players earn their own rewards, nope preset loot tables all over the place, and the newest trend of just dropping junk.

Would have paid a 50 dollar sub if we could have an actual game rather than a mediocre experience designed around you using their gem store. 

It is not the worst in that regard, it is fine, but to me I want a game world from a MMO and a well made glorified cash shop does not give me that.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

Lets see.

Before:

To get the daily rewards spend at least 30 minutes and only get 5 AP points.

Now:

Get the rewards straight away. They are also more interesting.

Spend the same 30 minutes and get 10 AP points + some extra rewards.

It is also better if you have multiple accounts.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• VaultFairyVaultFairy Member UncommonPosts: 566
    Originally posted by Aeander

It's also good for those like me who are on the fence (put keeping an eye on the game) and want to do nothing more than log in each day.

That is what i have been doing the past few weeks. Living Story tomorrow so i'll be playing again for that at least.

• curiousbugcuriousbug Member UncommonPosts: 51
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

It is also better if you have multiple accounts.

:D  

It is better if you have none.

• goemoegoemoe Member UncommonPosts: 272
    Originally posted by exile01

one of the most stupid things in the mmo history: achievments. Instead focus on real quality gameplay they focus on fluff. 

Im still angry about Anet making GW2 such a bad game- such a waste of time- where really absoluetly everything in that game feels pointless.

Thank you. Couldn't agree more!

• gw2foolgw2fool Member UncommonPosts: 164
    At first I hated it. Now I like it because of how it saves me a ton of time because I no longer have any interest in doing the daily!
  • akuma696akuma696 Member UncommonPosts: 55
    I like it made me start doing pvp more since its now more worth doing since u can progress faster in the pvp reward track. dont bother with the pve daily reward though or wvw reward
  • Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by akuma696
    I like it made me start doing pvp more since its now more worth doing since u can progress faster in the pvp reward track. dont bother with the pve daily reward though or wvw reward

Dude, you must wait until there is Fractal 20+ daily. Completing a full fractal in the achievement range is like loot pinata. Much gold. I got so excited i farmed 2 weapon skins in a day xD 

Also WvW dailies are fun. 

• akuma696akuma696 Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Originally posted by Leon1e
    Originally posted by akuma696

Dude, you must wait until there is Fractal 20+ daily. Completing a full fractal in the achievement range is like loot pinata. Much gold. I got so excited i farmed 2 weapon skins in a day xD 

Also WvW dailies are fun. 

Yeah I do the daily fractals if it is up but it takes too much time so it really depends Ive had the worst luck with my swamp runs for fractals well the fractals that come after swamp. But I love doing fractals if I dont have pugs its fun n adds more reason to do the fractal. Think its the only daily pve that I enjoy really wish they would add teq or tripple trouble to the daily pool that would be interesting :P

• CriticKittenCriticKitten Member UncommonPosts: 47

I quit months ago because I could see that they were going this direction.

It became obvious to me long ago that the devs have started building this game around their precious "metrics".  They're not building a game with a focus on it being "fun to play".  They're building a game with a focus on getting as many players as they can to be herded into as many zones as they can, so that they can delude themselves into thinking that everybody likes to play content in every map and mode of game play, when it's just not true.

And this path towards daily grocery shopping instead of a focus on "fun" became obvious long ago if you were watching for the signs.  They designed ascended rewards to be harder to obtain unless you performed a wide variety of content (and intentionally made the alternatives harder to prevent you from skipping certain types of content), they changed dungeon rewards to discourage running the ones you like over and over in favor of running several in a given day, they adjusted world bosses to hinge on a daily reset, and now, they've adjusted dailies to try and push you into more regions and doing more things.

I'm sorry, but I'm not the sort of player who enjoys having a daily grocery list shoved in my face when I log in.  I like having lots of OPTIONS about what I want to do, and then playing the ones I want to play and getting the rewards I want to get.  GW2 has quickly become a game focused around how many different places it can force me to go in a day, and less about letting me do what I find fun.

• gw2foolgw2fool Member UncommonPosts: 164
    Originally posted by CriticKitten

I quit months ago because I could see that they were going this direction.

It became obvious to me long ago that the devs have started building this game around their precious "metrics".  They're not building a game with a focus on it being "fun to play".  They're building a game with a focus on getting as many players as they can to be herded into as many zones as they can, so that they can delude themselves into thinking that everybody likes to play content in every map and mode of game play, when it's just not true.

And this path towards daily grocery shopping instead of a focus on "fun" became obvious long ago if you were watching for the signs.  They designed ascended rewards to be harder to obtain unless you performed a wide variety of content (and intentionally made the alternatives harder to prevent you from skipping certain types of content), they changed dungeon rewards to discourage running the ones you like over and over in favor of running several in a given day, they adjusted world bosses to hinge on a daily reset, and now, they've adjusted dailies to try and push you into more regions and doing more things.

I'm sorry, but I'm not the sort of player who enjoys having a daily grocery list shoved in my face when I log in.  I like having lots of OPTIONS about what I want to do, and then playing the ones I want to play and getting the rewards I want to get.  GW2 has quickly become a game focused around how many different places it can force me to go in a day, and less about letting me do what I find fun.

Well said, totally agree!