Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No flying experiment has failed in WoD

Comments

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by GetzMango

I was not aware it was an experiment.

I can see how the content locusts would hate it, but as for me, I love it.

don't mind the OP, what he meant to say was "i don't like it!", people tend to think what they don't like is never going to work... everrrr!

shocking news flash, it did work.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by Hoplites
    Originally posted by Tasslehoff35
    Originally posted by thunderC
    I know people have been saying for years "Its not the same WOW as vanilla" but this was truly the expansion that has me leaving for good. LFR was a great addition but this Garrison nonsense and the linear zones along with the lack of creativty when it comes to story, mobs and graphics has me saying goodbye for good. The direction this game has gone in is just TOO FAR OFF from the game i fell in love with.

I am inclined to agree.

The game makes no sense to me in its current format.  In fact, I would argue Avian'a feather is more over powered than flying mounts.

So you still have not answered a couple posters including me about other games that have better travel systems than WoW because they have PORTALS!!!

You are aware WoW has portals right?  Summoning stones?  Warlocks?  So any chance we can get you to clarify your thought process?  Or are you just going to continue to spam on a VIDEO GAME YOU DONT PLAY!

I actually addressed this.

Rift, Guild Wars, Final Fantasy, etc they all do it better in terms of travel systems.

WoW's travel systems are terrible and horribly outdated.  Older MMO's like Everquest and UO do it better which is just sad. Don't get me started on UO or Wildstar having better player housing than WoD's garrisons (this is more like an expanded version of MoP's farm).

1. WoW's portals - The most optimal place to set your hearth stone currently is Shrine of Two Moons or Seven Stars (MoP).  Hearthstone without guild perks increases in timer.  Current Ashran capitals (WoD) are junk.  Blizz should have never moved capital cities off the main land if they were going to take way flying at level cap. 

2. Mini hearthstone to garrison - Good if you want to go to Ashran.  Bad if you go to your garrison and want to go out in the world.  Forced to use flight points or ground mounts to do anything.

3. Flight points that take control of a player away are the dominate travel system in WoW currently and is the worst in the industry.  Prove me wrong on this one.  I would love to be wrong.

Now, lets compare WoW to games that came out around the same time:

CoX - No more, but its subway system wasn't good but it was at least instant (eg like a portal).  It was improved upon over the years, and then they added auction house teleport, bases teleports, Ourouboruous teleports, etc.  Along with travel powers of flight, teleport, ninja run, super jump, etc.

Lineage 2: Started off with a hardcore old school travel system, where it took you literally 21 minutes to go from Glidn village through Gluio Castle town to Dion.  That was with windwalk buff, and if you were a dark elf or light elf.  Had teleports at gatekeepers, but high cost of adena.  Eventually added mounts, but had guild hall ports, scroll of escapes to towns, cattles, clan halls, fortress, etc.  Then they eventually added ports to all hunting areas.

Over the years, MMO have improved or added to their travel system.  Taking away travel system without compensating has never been done and it is not good for the health of the game long term.

Currently, WoW doesn't have enough portals to make the world relevant or dynamic.  A lot of it is masked because WoD is designed heavily by instances (garrisons, battle grounds, ashran, raids, etc). 

The OP seems to think that the hearhstone is the extent of WoW's "portal" system...

What about all the actual portals to all of the cities in the game at the shrines? What about mages able to teleport or create portals for others to every city in the game? What about summoning stones at the entrance of every single instance in the entire game? What about warlocks who are able to summon anywhere in the game at any time?

And you mention Rift, a game with the 100% exact same travel system as WoW (in wow its gryphons, in Rift they are "portals", but function exactly the same)? Rift even lacks the actual portal and summoning system of WoW's mages and warlocks....

...Once again, I don't think the OP has even played WoW, let alone put any significant amount of time into it.

• HoplitesHoplites Member CommonPosts: 463
    Originally posted by doodphace
    I know people have been saying for years "Its not the same WOW as vanilla" but this was truly the expansion that has me leaving for good. LFR was a great addition but this Garrison nonsense and the linear zones along with the lack of creativty when it comes to story, mobs and graphics has me saying goodbye for good. The direction this game has gone in is just TOO FAR OFF from the game i fell in love with.

I am inclined to agree.

The game makes no sense to me in its current format.  In fact, I would argue Avian'a feather is more over powered than flying mounts.

So you still have not answered a couple posters including me about other games that have better travel systems than WoW because they have PORTALS!!!

You are aware WoW has portals right?  Summoning stones?  Warlocks?  So any chance we can get you to clarify your thought process?  Or are you just going to continue to spam on a VIDEO GAME YOU DONT PLAY!

Rift, Guild Wars, Final Fantasy, etc they all do it better in terms of travel systems.

WoW's travel systems are terrible and horribly outdated.  Older MMO's like Everquest and UO do it better which is just sad. Don't get me started on UO or Wildstar having better player housing than WoD's garrisons (this is more like an expanded version of MoP's farm).

1. WoW's portals - The most optimal place to set your hearth stone currently is Shrine of Two Moons or Seven Stars (MoP).  Hearthstone without guild perks increases in timer.  Current Ashran capitals (WoD) are junk.  Blizz should have never moved capital cities off the main land if they were going to take way flying at level cap. 

2. Mini hearthstone to garrison - Good if you want to go to Ashran.  Bad if you go to your garrison and want to go out in the world.  Forced to use flight points or ground mounts to do anything.

3. Flight points that take control of a player away are the dominate travel system in WoW currently and is the worst in the industry.  Prove me wrong on this one.  I would love to be wrong.

CoX - No more, but its subway system wasn't good but it was at least instant (eg like a portal).  It was improved upon over the years, and then they added auction house teleport, bases teleports, Ourouboruous teleports, etc.  Along with travel powers of flight, teleport, ninja run, super jump, etc.

Lineage 2: Started off with a hardcore old school travel system, where it took you literally 21 minutes to go from Glidn village through Gluio Castle town to Dion.  That was with windwalk buff, and if you were a dark elf or light elf.  Had teleports at gatekeepers, but high cost of adena.  Eventually added mounts, but had guild hall ports, scroll of escapes to towns, cattles, clan halls, fortress, etc.  Then they eventually added ports to all hunting areas.

Over the years, MMO have improved or added to their travel system.  Taking away travel system without compensating has never been done and it is not good for the health of the game long term.

Currently, WoW doesn't have enough portals to make the world relevant or dynamic.  A lot of it is masked because WoD is designed heavily by instances (garrisons, battle grounds, ashran, raids, etc). 

The OP seems to think that the hearhstone is the extent of WoW's "portal" system...

What about all the actual portals to all of the cities in the game at the shrines? What about mages able to teleport or create portals for others to every city in the game? What about summoning stones at the entrance of every single instance in the entire game? What about warlocks who are able to summon anywhere in the game at any time?

And you mention Rift, a game with the 100% exact same travel system as WoW (in wow its gryphons, in Rift they are "portals", but function exactly the same)? Rift even lacks the actual portal and summoning system of WoW's mages and warlocks....

...Once again, I don't think the OP has even played WoW, let alone put any significant amount of time into it.

I addressed this....having to set hearhtstone to previous expansion shrines is bad design.

Now, moving onto your next point, mages is one class which does not constitute an overarching travel system.  That is a perk of the class along with Warlocks.

Next, Rifts travel system isn't the same as WoW and it exposes how little you know about WoW or Rift.  It is like saying WoW's garrisons is the same as Wildstars player housing.  Not even close.

I think since you haven't been registered on this website for a long time that you have a lot of reading and learning to do IMVHO.  I hope I have educated you.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I am inclined to agree.

#3 - Either Blizzard's system isn't the worst in the industry, or that aspect of the game isn't important enough to warrant a big change.  Millions of people are still playing the game.

But for proof, what do you expect?  You've taken your subjective opinion on travel systems and generalized them as facts with nothing to support them other than your opinion.  The only thing we know is that millions of people just keep playing.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• mark2123mark2123 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Originally posted by lizardbones 

#3 - Either Blizzard's system isn't the worst in the industry, or that aspect of the game isn't important enough to warrant a big change.  Millions of people are still playing the game.

Millions of people playing the game doesn't mean they agree with that specific decision.

Not being able to fly doesn't stop me from doing things, notably raid, it's just an inconvenience now that I have explored the whole world. It's also an inconvenience not to be able to use all those flying mounts I've collected, many quite hard to get, because they look ridiculous when grounded.

I have half a dozen real life friends playing WoW, not a single one disagreed with not being able to fly at release and until the level cap, but now they are just as annoyed as me about it. I know it's not a representative number, no more than those who post here, but they are part of that silent population which never posts on forums. Most people of my guild also never post on forums, or vote on polls, they just go on information sites.

As I already said, flying mounts should never have been added to the game. Now it's too late, they are part of it, most players have collected dozens if not hundreds of them, it's unfair to make them unable to use the result of that past work in the current content for so long.

And don't even get me started on those who bought them for real money in the shop, who would have a very good additional reason to be pissed compared to people like me who only use in game farmed mounts.

I totally agree with J-LP on this in terms of the flying mounts.  When leveling, it's ok to not have them as it makes things too easy, but at level cap, you've earned the right to use the many mounts you have accumulated, bought even.  If this is the land you are now living in i.e. WoD, then all those mounts shouldn't be made redundant by it.

• CerapheCeraphe Member Posts: 1

I don't think I've noticed the lack of flying in WoD on my first character to 100 ... maybe because I kinda don't leave towns or my garrison now that I've quested my butt off. 

I miss flying on my other characters coming up from 90 to 100, however. I enjoyed the first-time-around story. Now ... it's repetitive. 

I am inclined to agree.

But for proof, what do you expect?  You've taken your subjective opinion on travel systems and generalized them as facts with nothing to support them other than your opinion.  The only thing we know is that millions of people just keep playing.

It is the worst in the industry as it currently stands.  Ask any other player that plays MMOs and they will validate that WoW's flight path system is atrocious.

Even Blizz admits that flight paths are poor.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    lol I don't remember people complaining about wows flight paths before everyone got flying mounts, they are what they are - flight paths. If someone is fearing out because a flight is 17% less optimal than some straight route then they maybe need to get in touch with their RPG routes if they have any. The issue with blizzard flight system is that noone rally cares about going anywhere in the game unless it's part of the latest tranche of content:

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• CrazyhorsekCrazyhorsek Member UncommonPosts: 272

"We’re going to be making sure flight paths and other forms of travel are quick and efficient, with a goal of getting you to the places you want to go. Flight paths in the past have always been “the scenic route”, lazily listing from side to side and around waterfalls to the intended oohs-and-aahs of the transportee. The flight paths in Draenor are not going to be loop-de-loop sightseeing tours, and we’re going to be looking to our beta testers to let us know if any are less than tip-top."

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/12506571347

I'm sorry Blizzard admits what?

• Grimlock22Grimlock22 Member UncommonPosts: 21

Add me to the list of people who say no flying at level cap is BS!  I was and am fine with no flying while leveling, but at 100 there should absolutley be flying just like has been the case for every other expansion since BC.  PANDORA's flying box has already been opened and it's too late to try to close it now.  

It's also a bad move on Blizzards part for all the people who have purchased flying mounts.  Yes I know, you can still use them to fly in other zones, but that's not good enough.  Wow has always been about end-game.  That's where you spend the vast majority of your time.  Flying needs to be available!

Me Grimlock King!

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

unlike other MMO's that age with time, this is the first that has made playing content at level cap more painful and reducedimage replay value.

What a shame.

Completely disagree. The zones are smaller, and the flight paths are quicker and more numerous to accomodate the land travel. Not to mention you now have a Garrison hearthstone as well as your normal, and if you choose the Inn or whatever in Arak, you can travel back there quick while in that zone. Also if you choose the Stables I believe, you can get your mount speed increased by 20%.

Flying mounts would only ruin things. But if you hate it so much, then wait until next expansion to play this one. They'll likely add it in to make it quicker to get through WoD when that happens. 

Originally posted by Bladestrom
    lol I don't remember people complaining about wows flight paths before everyone got flying mounts, they are what they are - flight paths. If someone is fearing out because a flight is 17% less optimal than some straight route then they maybe need to get in touch with their RPG routes if they have any. The issue with blizzard flight system is that noone rally cares about going anywhere in the game unless it's part of the latest tranche of content:

I have quit and my entire guild has quit. Especially with the 6.1 announcement of lackluster content.

Blizz has no content to give to players so they gate everything and take away players time with trivial time sinks which eventually adds up.

• Tasslehoff35Tasslehoff35 Member UncommonPosts: 962

I have quit and my entire guild has quit. Especially with the 6.1 announcement of lackluster content.

Blizz has no content to give to players so they gate everything and take away players time with trivial time sinks which eventually adds up.

Great maybe you can quit bumping a fail thread now too...
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

Funny my guild has not had so many active members since WotLK. Matter of fact we keep growing. Members who have been away from WoW for years are back and loving the game. Love WoD and the no flying makes it even better. 

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

So many interesting little nooks and caves would have been completely ruined by flying. Not to mention the tiny bit of platforming that was implemented. 

The only thing that would have made no flying better would have been less garrison nonsense so people get out into the world and run around.

I am inclined to agree.

It is the worst in the industry as it currently stands.  Ask any other player that plays MMOs and they will validate that WoW's flight path system is atrocious.

Well I see the desperation is setting in for you because clearly the only thing that has failed is this thread.  Haha ask "any other player who plays MMOS to validate your atrocious OPINION?"  Well just go read through your failed thread you keep bumping besides you blade and a couple others most don't share your "atrocious OPINION".

As for your other  straight up desperate lie Crazyhorse took care of that, and like everything you are attempting to ignore that because it called out you and this failed thread. 

Oh btw what is the name of your "guild". I would love to look them up and see that "everyone else quit".
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

Oh btw what is the name of your "guild". I would love to look them up and see that "everyone else quit".

My guess he wont tell you the guild and server name. 

Originally posted by Nanfoodle

My guess he wont tell you the guild and server name. 

I am very aware he won't, and also very aware the reason he won't.  Anytime somebody has called him out in this thread he has avoided it, stopped posting for a few days and then bump the thread in hopes that those calling him out would forget...Unfortunetly that hasn't worked so well for him.

• azurreiazurrei Member UncommonPosts: 332
    It was fun for about 2-3 weeks - after the third 100 (now working on 100 #10) it got tedious without flying.  I would actually say that with the exception of trapping for the barn, I am out and about in the world of Draenor LESS because of no flying.  Expansion is overall great but flying is sorely missing...hopefully enabled for all but Tanaan Jungle when it is opened.
    Originally posted by azurrei
    It was fun for about 2-3 weeks - after the third 100 (now working on 100 #10) it got tedious without flying.  I would actually say that with the exception of trapping for the barn, I am out and about in the world of Draenor LESS because of no flying.  Expansion is overall great but flying is sorely missing...hopefully enabled for all but Tanaan Jungle when it is opened.

Yes it is leading to increased burnout.

Restriction of flight is not conducive to replay value of content over the long haul.  Blizz put too many eggs in the garrison basket and it isn't working out.  Good post.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Yes it is leading to increased burnout.

Restriction of flight is not conducive to replay value of content over the long haul.  Blizz put too many eggs in the garrison basket and it isn't working out.  Good post.

How can something extra lead to increased burnout?  This title is the leader of the genre with or without the garrison. No one is making anyone maintain a Garrison,  just go back to standing in front of the bank.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• bbethelbbethel Member UncommonPosts: 201
    I played WoW non stop until around the time of flying mounts. Now that was not the only reason i left but it is nice to come back to WoW and there is no more flying around in the new areas. Its nice to not be skipping whole sections of the map. Brings back the reason I loved WoW back in the day.

Good post and well stated.

Let me add that Blizz is doing massive damage control on their official forums.  But the players are not buying their excuses.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    3 characters to max level in 3 weeks and the 'issue' is flight. it would be incredible funny if it wasn't for the level of piss taking by blizzard.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D