Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why this game will be an EPIC fail

Comments

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630
    Originally posted by Atrocitus

And to further back the original claim that this game will fail,  look at the recent F2P announcement.

No way in hell could this game merit paying a sub. None. Zero. The people making this game understand that, and have since day one. Yet they try and convince potential players it was a 'choice'. It wasn't.

You can try and debate that all you want, to no avail.

This game will sputter along for a few months, then will go the way Gods and Heroes did. A slow, painful death.......

The game can't compete on any level to other F2P games. No content, customer service will be almost non existant, the ultra small dev team will be bogged down fixing bugs and other issues and so on.

My .02

Sorry but your claims have no substance , this game is in alpha and a lot can change. Small Development  teams can be incredibly efficient if they understand Agile Methodologies.

I am of the try it and see school, I don't really listen to the bitter and twisted. For all the rubbish you come out with the only issue I really have is "F2P" as long as they don't "time sync" the crafting and provide a 1 slot backpack the concepts are sound and the game play looks fun it will just be slowed if you don't want to Pay to Win.

• LungingWolfLungingWolf Member Posts: 73

Post Deleted: Never mind, I changed my viewpoint on this issue.

My sincere apologies for any misunderstandings.

Waiting for: Citadel of Sorcery. Along the way, The Elder Scrolls Online (when it is F2P).

Keeping an eye on: www.play2crush.com (whatever is going on here).

• Dornin34Dornin34 Member Posts: 14
    Well someone can feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but I kinda doubt it will be true fps combat. It will probably be like Tabula Rasa where you aim but your damage is still the rpg style dice rolls. Either way, I think it is a gimmick and they should just stick with the rpg style combat if that is the case. Why set yourself up to be trolled as a fake shooter like other games have already tried and failed at. 
  • IylzIylz Member Posts: 107
    Originally posted by LungingWolf

I don't know much about The Repopulation. But, while looking into it, I was shocked to learn that it will have two modes which the player can switch between--a simulation of first person aiming (or "action mode") and tab targeting (or "RPG mode"). And, somehow, these modes will be balanced out by certain programming.

I think that this is an utterly horrible and insulting idea. It will, respectively speaking, inevitably create a different unbalance in each situation. And, on principle alone, it is insulting because it tries to create equality between WoW style hard locking and FPS style free aiming. The former requires no skill and the latter does. image

Why? Because, apparently, it seems that Above and Beyond Technologies' forum polls indicate that there is a 50/50 split between forum members who prefer tab targeting and forum members who prefer FPS style free aiming. So, they are going to accommodate both. image

So, yeah, I am not seeing a bright future for this game. This idea alone will put off many people.

Man, the things I see as I search for a good MMORPS ...

Learn to read past the first line of a paragraph and light will be shed on your puny little mind.

• RoyalkinRoyalkin Member UncommonPosts: 267

First of all, I just want to thank the REPOP developers for attempting to create a sandbox, when even the word is derided and shunned. And I believe the questing system as mentioned in JC's reply will work just fine for its intended audience.

I would prefer a questless, npcless environment, but I'm seriously hardcore, and I realize that. However, if one would take into consideration the type of gamer who would play a game such as REPOP, then their mentality makes perfect sense. These types of players are most likely old-school gamers (generalization, I know, but bear with me) who do no place a heavier value on questing as a means to drive progression. The higher value is placed upon socialization and exploration, wherein they progress by creating and experiencing their own stories, rather than blow through what quests do exist and whine for more.

The quintessential modern gamer however, would find this game directionless and void of any driving force, and thus with such opinion would lack content, as there would be far less to 'grind'. That, is the point of the differentiation. The point of the experience is not to grind through it, but rather to experience it, to explore it, and to build friendships and virtual communities as a result of it. This is how MMORPGs used to be, when they made sense.

The game doesn't exist to be played, it exists to be experienced.

Unplug from your themepark mindset, and open your mind to new experiences.

• RinnaRinna Member UncommonPosts: 389

I wouldn't be so quick to speculate.  it's not meant to be the next wow or the newest flash in the pan F2P burn through levels for some quick gratification MMO.  I think these devs work their asses off and they're getting help from a huge number of people who are contributing time and effort for free.

The game has a nice following and I think it's going to give some players exactly what they're looking for.  If you have issues with any of it, ask questions on the repop forums.  They'll be happy to answer your questions quickly and honestly.  They'll explain why they chose the engine they did and what they expect from this game.  

I think you suffer from premature speculation OP.  Think about dead puppies or something.

No bitchers.

• RoyalkinRoyalkin Member UncommonPosts: 267
    Originally posted by 7imelord

Here's my speculation to balance the thread title.

You know why this game won't be a EPIC fail, because EA isn't involved with this game.

Quoted for Truth!

• LungingWolfLungingWolf Member Posts: 73

Post Deleted: Never mind, I changed my viewpoint on this issue.

My sincere apologies for any misunderstandings.

Waiting for: Citadel of Sorcery. Along the way, The Elder Scrolls Online (when it is F2P).

Keeping an eye on: www.play2crush.com (whatever is going on here).

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

First off, I am NOT, repeat, NOT in alpha/beta/whatever...Got it? In NO WAY HAVE I PLAYED THIS GAME YET......

ofc and that makes your claim all the more trustworthy.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• RadionicRadionic Member Posts: 2

Not for nothing, but please name an MMO that was released in the last 10 years that wasn't the same crap as the hundred other games before it? At least this game is bringing some really cool features to the table that no other game has pulled off. Player cities, player based economy, and dynamic NPC system to name a few. Yes, it's all ideas other games have employed, or tried to employ, but it's all the best pieces of other games. That's the difference.

Also if you have been reading up on it as much as you say, then you should be noticing the huge amounts of work this "nonexistent team" has been accomplishing in their by-monthly updates. These guys all have full time jobs, and they are moonlighting the development of this game, yet they are making amazing strides despite the lack of manpower and financial backing. Do you know why?

Because they are focused. They don't have guys in suits forcing them to go in directions they don't want to simply because the suits' investments give them power to affect the creation. The people that have invested int he development of this game are leaving the creative flow where it belongs, in the hands of developers. 

Also, take a look at the forums for Hero Engine. Dig back to 2011 when this started and the development team was asking questions about Hero Engine. Read how all the Hero staff, and all the other developers, were quickly praising this development team for their creative use of the engine. Read how everyone was on their s*it real quick, and soon other developers who were making other games all of a sudden were asking: How the F did you guys do that?

I think we should reserve any judgement until we have actually played the game, but this is the first MMO project to make me at least believe there is hope for MMO's again, because I get nothing out of today's theme park, on rails, boring as s*it MMO's. 

• AtrocitusAtrocitus Member UncommonPosts: 85

So...Here we are after the NDA lifts and guess what?

The game IS subpar, under developed and will be a an epic fail. All signs point to this. You can't put out an mmo with only a few people, no money and high hopes. 

Bugs are rampant, people can't stand the graphics blah blah blah. 

Told you so! Prophet powers, I got em!

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616
    Originally posted by Marcus-

Would all this be as opposed to all the MMOs that come out these days with some ridiculous amount of millions of dollars of investment, so many  devolopers that you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a good dozen of them? 

And with all those devs, and that huge workforce, we still get more tokens, more 6v6 pvp, more endless gear treadmill, more linear gameplay of the same ol same ol...

Imagine that, shallow gameplay.

As far as sizable PvP being a massive vaporlock, well, we all know a ton of money, and "some of the most experienced developers in the world" weren't able to curb that from happening, so i guess all hope is lost for any decent MMO ever being made?

I actually have more confidence in an "indie" developer pulling off a good MMO these days than the guys who consider themselves "AAA" developers. Those top notch guys seem to be stuck in some sort of "linear" developing cycle they can't break out of, its somewhat scary.

Not sure if these guys are the answer, but heres to hoping.  image

Well said :)

• randomtrandomt Member UncommonPosts: 1,220

First off, I am NOT, repeat, NOT in alpha/beta/whatever...Got it? In NO WAY HAVE I PLAYED THIS GAME YET......

YOu seem overly emotional about this title, sir.. what's your angle? Why are you reacting so angrily to this?

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065

I've seen plenty of videos of the game, listened to the 'devs' speak on the game, and have read plenty about it. Heres why this game will not only tank, but tank bigtime.....

Regardless of how long this 'team' of devs have been working on the game, content will be shallow. Its as simple as work force= gameplay. And they have an extremely small dev team. And we all know how fast gamers fly by content these days. There simply will not be enough to do

Customer service after launch will be relatively non existant. Again, with hardly any funding, how in the hell can they get a sizeable team to deal with the problems in and out of the game? And c'mon people, we all know how the first few weeks of a mmorpg go. People will be crying about tickets not being answered, bugs everywhere, blah blah blah........

The game engine is horribad. Any sizable pvp will end in massive vaporlock. Once again, the almost non existant team won't be able to handle this.

Have you seen the AI in the videos? The mobs just stand there. Period. Its comical.....

I could go on and on, but don't feel like typing any longer. Point of the matter is don't get your hopes up for this game. All signs points to sub par mmo. Once again, I have NOT participated in the game...

/yawn

Make MMORPG's Great Again!

The game IS subpar, under developed and will be a an epic fail. All signs point to this. You can't put out an mmo with only a few people, no money and high hopes. 

You have issues man, seriously. Why you care so much about telling everyone this game will fail is beyond me. You post as if your daddy got fired from the dev team or something. Seriously, why do you care so much about a game you never plan on playing? Or are you just here to ruin it for others like plucking wings off of flies?

• ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405

While Repopulation doesn't have anything like a AAA feel, it certainly has a lot of features that I like enough to overcome the rough feel at this point. I stopped playing only because I want to wait until there will be no more wipes before going back, but once the game launches I expect it to be my SciFi mmo home. This was my experience so I can only go by that.

MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
    This guys has not posted on this entire site in over 2 years, he came back here just to necro this thread and try to rub people's faces in it. Yea, time for some mass reporting this troll.
  • xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310

The bulk of the game is bug free. The stuff people complain about is largely just polish. If a title can't survive because it doesn't look good then there is no hope for the MMO verse period. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989

"First off, I am NOT, repeat, NOT in alpha/beta/whatever...Got it? In NO WAY HAVE I PLAYED THIS GAME YET......"

When do you you people think you will realize that this first statement means YOU HAVE NO OPINION?

Doesn't matter what you write after......means you have no clue. Stop posting threads

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by Gestankfaust

"First off, I am NOT, repeat, NOT in alpha/beta/whatever...Got it? In NO WAY HAVE I PLAYED THIS GAME YET......"

When do you you people think you will realize that this first statement means YOU HAVE NO OPINION?

Doesn't matter what you write after......means you have no clue. Stop posting threads

Dude, that post you are quoting is two years old... The OP necroed this thread to show that his PREDICTIONS were pretty much spot on, in his oppinion.

While I do not agree it is an epic fail, it does have its share of issues, even considering its current stage of development.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by JC-Smith

Just need to correct a few things:

... On Size Of the Team, or Size of the Budget

While you can generally assume that more manpower = more production, that isn't always the case. In Repop, much of what we do is based on generated content. Once you have a good generation system in place, it allows you to be more efficient in your content creation. Rather than designing 7500 hand designed missions by hand, we focus on designing 500 templates. The templates specify the rules, item types, npc types, etc and each of those can be reused many times and each time the npcs, items, etc will be different. You can a lot things done with less people if you can automate or reuse a lot of it.

For things like artwork, you outsource to external artists or art houses, use licensed models, etc. Those types of things would all be mentions in the credits, but they don't count as team members.  Outsourcing is generally far more efficient from a price standpoint than if you do everything in-house.

... On Hero Engine

Your making a judgement on the engine based on how you saw TOR handle PvP or crowds of players. That is not a Hero Engine problem. It's a problem due to a lot of customization on the TOR models. It works fine for the situations the game was designed for most of the time (sparse player population, personal storyline, lot of soloing). It didn't work as well with a large number of players. But those are design decisions.  Had TOR had a primary focus on large scale PvP they probably would have gone in a different direction there, maybe sacrificing some customization to get it done.

As a renderer, Hero Engine isn't on par with the likes of Unreal Tech. But it's strength isn't in its renderer. It does a lot more than that.

... On AI

The last video footage was shot on the first day of ALPHA testing. You can't judge a game AI or any of its systems really based on a 2 second splice you saw in an alpha stage video. At that stage of development everything is still very much a work in progress.

Unfortunately this is what i don't like about what SOE is going to be doing with StoryBricks.

I do not like automated template type questing because it ends up real shallow and bad or boring missions/quests.Players should enter a world ready to explore and go off on their own,gaming looks real bad if EVERYONE is vee lining for that first npc quest.Like i started in Rift and we al lstarted in that ugly hanger,then everyone ran outside,started doing the exact same quest run,killing the same stuff,it looked more like assembly line,connect the dots gaming than a world.

What i prefer a developer to do is NOT go that linear mission route but instead put a LOT of depth into creating a game that REQUIRES grouping,player>player interaction,not automated interaction and DEPTH of the character and combat design.

PERSONAL story line SHOULD be YOUR story,if you are following a story created by the developer then it is simply a quest/mission not a story.

What i would 100% accept from any developer struggling with funds and needs to cut some corners is almost NO questing,add in quests as you go after the game goes live.I will tell you why,questing is almost ALWAYS SOLO,that detracts from community building.

You create a few different starting areas where npc's explain grouping concepts and teach you how to play your class or role.FFX Iwas a game that did ,you basically soloed for 10 levels then began playing with other players.It created a LOT of fun,nothing is better than playing with other players.You just need to create the design and depth so it works.

Players need to feel like their choice in weapon matters,like their role in a group matters,other wise it is just more soloing within a group.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by MarlonB

If you refer to the engine being crap as being used in SWTOR, they used a heavily modified 7 year old version where the HE devs have kept telling them not to do it.

Well if you've talked to any of the BioWare folks who went through this hell - they thought they were buying a finished product - but ended up spending tens of millions re-writing their own tools to make the HE usable for SWTOR. 

When Bioware bought the rights to use HeroEngine, it was still in alpha. They heavily modded to fit their needs and it was the modding process that caused the engine to suffer. However, ToRO failed because the game at its core was a co-op RPG not an MMO and they originally tried to charge a sub for it. Same happened with TSW. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    Originally posted by hfztt
    Originally posted by Gestankfaust

Dude, that post you are quoting is two years old... The OP necroed this thread to show that his PREDICTIONS were pretty much spot on, in his oppinion.

While I do not agree it is an epic fail, it does have its share of issues, even considering its current stage of development.

LOL..so because it's two years old....you defend it by saying it was wrong...like I did....nice

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Well thats an issue to start with you cant comment like this one sometihng you have not tried.

Regardless of how long this 'team' of devs have been working on the game, content will be shallow. Its as simple as work force= gameplay. And they have an extremely small dev team. And we all know how fast gamers fly by content these days. There simply will not be enough to do

Well as an alpha tester I can tell you it does not feel shallow at all, this and H1Z1 will prob be the only mmorpgs I play this year. The so called small dev team have done a very good job so far.

Customer service after launch will be relatively non existant. Again, with hardly any funding, how in the hell can they get a sizeable team to deal with the problems in and out of the game? And c'mon people, we all know how the first few weeks of a mmorpg go. People will be crying about tickets not being answered, bugs everywhere, blah blah blah........

Customer service is very resonsive at the moment and the devs are very active.. its possible it could change but I would think at launch they will havean influx of cash from people so there wont be an issue. Still you never know as even AAA mmorpg customer service sucks most of the time

The game engine is horribad. Any sizable pvp will end in massive vaporlock. Once again, the almost non existant team won't be able to handle this.

There is nothing wrong with the game engine why do you say its horrid? Or yeah let me guess The old republic. PVP will be jsut fine.

Have you seen the AI in the videos? The mobs just stand there. Period. Its comical.....

The mobs do not just stand there they attack you.

I could go on and on, but don't feel like typing any longer. Point of the matter is don't get your hopes up for this game. All signs points to sub par mmo. Once again, I have NOT participated in the game...

You are wrong its as simple as that.. game might not be for you but thats another thing.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by DMKano

you do realize you are responding to a 3 year old post, right?

Yeah lol right after I posted it i realised oops..

This discussion has been closed.